Mock
ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING (/thread-10743.html)

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Duchess - 06-11-2014

[Image: 2014_SchoolShootingsSinceNewtown1.png]

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 06-11-2014

Oregon School Shooting - Reynolds High -- Update

(06-10-2014, 01:05 PM)JsMom Wrote: I just watched the press conference on CNN. CNN/police are reporting the shooter is dead and one student is dead. The shooter was a student. Waiting on CNN to update the website and I'll post the link.

Good to read that the teacher's wounds are not life-threatening, Js.

It seems to me that schools are better prepared to act quickly in such cases than they were prior to Sandy Hook and the practice drills have probably helped save lives. I hope that's true, at least.

[Image: jared-michael-padgett.jpg]
This is the 15-year-old shooter, ^ Jared Michael Padgett. Autopsy confirmed today that he died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound. Police either don't know or aren't saying if he specifically targeted the boy that he killed in the locker room, 14-year-old Emilio Hoffman.

[Image: emilio-hoffman-oregon-school-shooting-5.jpg?w=600]
RIP Emilio Hoffman ^

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - JsMom - 06-11-2014

I know at my sons school they do intruder drills. Im glad they are taking as many steps as they can here to teach our kids and to keep them safe but it scares the shit out of me. I dont think I can live through another loss of a child. Its so sad our kids have to grow up in a world with god awful people.

ETA... Id like to learn more about the shooter.

I don't know how parents keep from suffocating their children in their effort to protect them when they have to send them out into the world everyday.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - JsMom - 06-11-2014

(06-11-2014, 06:03 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I don't know how parents keep from suffocating their children in their effort to protect them when they have to send them out into the world everyday.

Its very hard not to. my son is still young and hasnt really got out in to the world yet. I think I might have a heart attack when he does. Sucks to have to feel this way. Our kids deserve their independence and should not have to watch their back everywhere they go out.

This is a comment from a police chief in regards to yesterday's school shooting -

"The shooter obtained the weapons from his family home," Anderson said. "The weapons had been secured, but he defeated the security measures."

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - ramseycat - 06-11-2014

Clearly the security measures were not secure enough. If line to get my permit to carry an get a Glock. I'm just afraid to have a gun in the house. Not that I think one of the boys would shoot someone but none of the other parents did either. I guess I'm more afraid of there being an accident.

You're standing in line to get a gun permit? Do I understand that correctly?

I'd LIKE to get a permit.

You need to make the edit period longer.

(06-11-2014, 08:14 PM)ramseycat Wrote: You need to make the edit period longer.

15 minutes is insufficient?

(06-11-2014, 08:26 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-11-2014, 08:14 PM)ramseycat Wrote: You need to make the edit period longer.

15 minutes is insufficient?

Yes. It should be 30. It's almost always over 15 minutes by the time I read the threads I want and get back to see my mistake.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Teacher - 06-12-2014

(06-11-2014, 03:55 PM)Duchess Wrote: [Image: 2014_SchoolShootingsSinceNewtown1.png]

Found this to be quite interesting concerning your post, Duchess.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/146537-everytown-map-74-school-shootings-since-newtown-goes-viral-33-questionable-entries/

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Duchess - 06-12-2014

(06-12-2014, 01:05 AM)Teacher Wrote: Found this to be quite interesting concerning your post, Duchess.

Welp, they got me. I'm a sucka.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Teacher - 06-12-2014

(06-12-2014, 05:23 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-12-2014, 01:05 AM)Teacher Wrote: Found this to be quite interesting concerning your post, Duchess.

Welp, they got me. I'm a sucka.

You're not a sucka! It's more like WHICH post to believe? I'm leaning toward the latter.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Duchess - 06-12-2014

I saw Mayor Bloomberg pushing his agenda a month or so ago on the Today Show. I'm a little taken aback that he would resort to these kind of measures given he wants this initiative taken seriously. You can't attempt to deceive people in an effort to get them to pay attention and follow you. It doesn't work like that.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Cutz - 06-12-2014

(06-11-2014, 05:59 PM)JsMom Wrote: I know at my sons school they do intruder drills. Im glad they are taking as many steps as they can here to teach our kids and to keep them safe but it scares the shit out of me.
I worked for a Philly public HS and they were required last year, at least 3 a year I think. I mean, they're basically 'Lock the door and hide in a corner away from it,' and the students didn't take them seriously at all, but they were practiced.

(06-11-2014, 06:29 PM)JsMom Wrote: Sucks to have to feel this way. Our kids deserve their independence and should not have to watch their back everywhere they go out.
I disagree. The world is dangerous, and not just from criminals. I had a kid run out in front of my car last week, that if I hadn't seen his friend across the street and slowed to 10 mph, he'd have gotten seriously injured. When I was a kid, I was taught not to run out in the street in front of traffic. Identifying hazardous situations and avoiding them is an important part of maturity, and the sooner/better we teach our children to do so, the more trust we can have in them, and the better teachers we are.

Yeah, as I said earlier, the only listed school-based mass murders in like the last 10 years are Sandy Hook, the Amish school, V-tech, and an Illinois college shooting I think. Single person shootings that take place in high crime areas just aren't the same as those tragedies.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - SIXFOOTERsez - 06-12-2014

I wondered about that data when it was posted, thought.. How in the hell are there 74 school shootings and the media is not going Ape SHit?
Now I know.
Same deal, same guy, stampede the public into making a snap decision based on bullshit, Facts appear to have no bearing on the matter at all.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 06-12-2014

(06-11-2014, 05:59 PM)JsMom Wrote: ETA... Id like to learn more about the shooter.

Ask and you shall receive.

The shooter, Padgett...
-was viewed by peers as a pretty normal kid,
-was from a Mormon family and was a deacon in his LDS ward,
-had a fascination with guns,
-had a need for order/organization,
-was in the junior reserves and aspired to join the military like his older brother...

His parents divorced about 5 years ago.

^ As told in interviews with peers, the family pastor, and neighbors.
Source: http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2014/06/oregon_school_shooting_gunman.html

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 06-12-2014

And, the location for today's featured public multi-shooting goes to...

The rectory of the Mother of Mercy Mission church in Phoenix, Arizona.

Last night, the church was attacked and two of its priests were shot. One died at the hospital, the other is in critical condition.

Maybe a botched robbery? Maybe something personal? Investigation underway.

[Image: 25758442_BG4.jpg]
Reverend Kenneth Walker, 29 (left) RIP....Reverend Joseph Terra, 56 (right) -- in critical condition.

Story:
http://www.kpho.com/story/25758442/catholic-priest-shot-dead-at-church

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 06-12-2014

(06-11-2014, 03:55 PM)Duchess Wrote: [Image: 2014_SchoolShootingsSinceNewtown1.png]

CNN has drastically revised a claim it made, which was based on a graphical map from a pro-gun control group, which purportedly showed that 74 school shootings have occurred in the U.S. since the Sandy Hook massacre in Dec. 2012.

The news outlet circulated the graphical map, which came from the group Everytown for Gun Safety, after a shooting that occurred Tuesday at a high school in Oregon which left two dead, including the 15 year-old gunman.

Everytown for Gun Safety, which is backed by former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, headlined their graphic “School Shootings in America Since Sandy Hook,”