Mock
ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING (/thread-10743.html)

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 09-29-2015

Update to Posts #314 - 395:
Washington's Marysville-Pilchuck High School Shootings / More Gaps in Existing Gun Controls

[Image: marysville17n-1-web.jpg]
Today, a federal court found ^ Raymond Fryberg guilty of six counts of unlawful possession of a firearm.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
His son, ^ Jaylen Fryberg, used a gun gifted to him by his father to kill four of his teen friends and seriously injure his cousin in the school cafeteria before shooting himself to death last October.

The elder Fryberg was the subject of a 2002 domestic violence protection order that prohibited from having firearms. The jury rejected Fryberg's claim that he didn't know about the protection order and therefore didn't know he couldn't have guns. Fryberg didn't testify and his lawyers didn't call any witnesses during the three-day trial in U.S. District Court in Seattle.

Fryberg faces up to 18 months when he is sentenced in January. His attorney says he plans to appeal.

[Image: 10_27shootingvictims.jpg]
Fryberg's son, 15-year-old Jaylen Fryberg, killed three 14-year-old girls and a 15-year-old boy who was his cousin after inviting them to lunch. He injured another one of his cousins, a 14-year-old boy, in the Oct. 24 shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School north of Seattle.

Raymond Fryberg's lawyer, John Henry Browne, had told jurors that Fryberg passed at least a dozen background checks and no law enforcement agency ever said he was prohibited from owning guns.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ye-Ting Woo told the panel Fryberg was served with a notice about a hearing to discuss the protection order sought by his former girlfriend, but he chose to ignore it.

The Tulalip Tribal Court judge granted the order, but authorities said it was never entered into any state or federal databases, so when Fryberg went to a store to buy guns, he passed the background checks. Prosecutors said Fryberg lied on the firearms purchasing forms when asked if he was the subject of a protection order and took the guns home.

Federal agents learned about the guns after the school shooting, but the shooting was not discussed during the trial because Fryberg didn't face charges related to his son's actions.

Ref: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/father-of-washington-high-school-shooter-guilty-of-gun-charges/

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Blindgreed1 - 10-01-2015

(CNN)Preliminary information indicates 10 people were killed and more than 20 others injured in a shooting at Oregon's Umpqua Community College on Thursday, said Oregon State Police spokesman Bill Fugate.

Douglas County Commissioner Chris Boice told CNN that the shooter is in custody. It was not immediately clear whether the shooter was injured.

ATF agents were on the scene and canine teams are en route to search for explosives, fire arms casings and ammunition, a spokesman said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/index.html

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 10-01-2015

Terribly sad news, Gunnar.

The shooter has reportedly been detained now (not clear if he's down or in custody).

[Image: 560d7ec0c361881a748b45bd.jpg]

The community college is in a rural area about 3 hours south of Portland in Roseburg, Oregon.

A picturesque campus in the North Umpqua River Valley, the school prides itself on a "a peaceful, safe atmosphere, and year-round recreational activities," according to its website.

It's not a traditional institution of higher learning, as the average age of its 13,600 students was 38 during the 2013-2014 school year. Only 740 of those were full time, 2,437 were part time and more than 10,000 fell under the umbrella of "community education."

The shooting is believed to have taken place in the college's science building.

Students were moved off campus by authorties, with bag checks and patdowns occuring before they were allowed to leave.

http://www.rt.com/usa/317243-shooting-school-oregon-umpqua/

RE: THE LATEST SCHOOL SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 10-01-2015

The shooter was reportedly in his late 20s. A press conference is scheduled later today.

According to CNN, police know the identity of the shooter and he's dead.

Police are investigating social media posts last night that may be related to today's massacre.

The message, which was posted anonymously on bulletin board 4Chan, read:

'Some of you guys are alright. Don't go to school tomorrow if you are in the northwest.'

The message continues 'happening thread will be posted tomorrow morning. so long space robots.'

The alleged post is no longer visible on the website - the cached version was first posted on Reddit after the shooting.

'Will post again in am, 10 min countdown. Won't say more to much to prepare,' the post continues.

In response, one user wrote: 'I suggest you enter a classroom and tell people that you will take them as hostages. Make everyone get in one corner and then open fire.

'Make sure that there is no way that someone can disarm you as it it possible. I suggest you carry a knife on your belt as last resort if someone is holding your gun.'

Another user wrote: 'You might want to target a girls school which is safer because there are no beta males throwing themselves for their rescue.

'Do not use a shotgun. I would suggest a powerful assault rifle and a pistol or 2x pistols. Possibly the type of pistols who have 15+ ammo.'

RE: THE LATEST SCHOOL SHOOTING - Duchess - 10-01-2015

(10-01-2015, 04:07 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: In response, one user wrote: 'I suggest you enter a classroom and tell people that you will take them as hostages. Make everyone get in one corner and then open fire.

'Make sure that there is no way that someone can disarm you as it it possible. I suggest you carry a knife on your belt as last resort if someone is holding your gun.'

Another user wrote: 'You might want to target a girls school which is safer because there are no beta males throwing themselves for their rescue.

'Do not use a shotgun. I would suggest a powerful assault rifle and a pistol or 2x pistols. Possibly the type of pistols who have 15+ ammo.'[/i]

Wow. WOW! Encouragement.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 10-01-2015

Is that a text message sign?

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Blindgreed1 - 10-01-2015

(10-01-2015, 04:10 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 04:07 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: In response, one user wrote: 'I suggest you enter a classroom and tell people that you will take them as hostages. Make everyone get in one corner and then open fire.

'Do not use a shotgun. I would suggest a powerful assault rifle and a pistol or 2x pistols. Possibly the type of pistols who have 15+ ammo.'[/i]

Wow. WOW! Encouragement.
Maybe, or maybe they are just desensitized and making light of the threat.

The Douglass County Sheriff and Oregon Governor Kate Brown gave press conferences a while ago. There were few details given.

The Sheriff confirmed that the shooter was male and was killed after exchanging fire with officers.

Oregon State Police and officers from surrounding counties are assisting in clearing all of the classrooms, the vehicles in the school's parking lot, etc...

The governor confirmed that the shooter was 20 years old.

Investigators are reportedly investigating the internet messages posted last night; some users on the board encouraged the shooter and others are said to have been discouraging him.

The number of confirmed casualties, whether or not the shooter was a student, and possible motives were reporter questions that could not be answered by Law Enforcement or the Governor's office at this time.

(10-01-2015, 04:10 PM)Duchess Wrote: Wow. WOW! Encouragement.

This is the thread being investigated in possible connection with today's school shooting.

https://archive.moe/r9k/thread/22785073/#q22785073

Lotta morons out there.

I just saw President Obama appealing to citizens and legislators, yet again, to support smarter gun control in this country. He seemed genuinely fed up and talked about how such shootings, the arguments for and against more controls, and criticism of him for "politicizing" the incident have all become sadly predictable and routine.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 10-01-2015

Its really tough to know if a person is serious enough to do the unthinkable. The finger pointing should be ridiculous after the fact and I would imagine a person would have to be pretty fucked up for years before snapping and losing any empathy they might have had at some point in their lives. At some point in the past something happened that created the domino effect that made this come to pass. He lost the ability to look at himself in someone else's shoes. The gun was the tool he found easiest to use.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - username - 10-01-2015

(10-01-2015, 06:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: This is the thread being investigated in possible connection with today's school shooting.

HOLY FUCK!!! I can't imagine that thread will stay up indefinitely. That's...I can't even get my head around that. People saying "DO IT". Smiley_emoticons_shocked

That is some scary shit there. I heard one talking head saying the people that knew about this and in fact encouraged it (and didn't report it) could be culpable in some fashion. I hope that's true. Some of those sick fucks idolized this guy. Potential copycats as far as I'm concerned.

Geez. That thread falls under things I wish I didn't see/know.

(10-01-2015, 09:34 PM)Maggot Wrote: Its really tough to know if a person is serious enough to do the unthinkable. The finger pointing should be ridiculous after the fact and I would imagine a person would have to be pretty fucked up for years before snapping and losing any empathy they might have had at some point in their lives. At some point in the past something happened that created the domino effect that made this come to pass. He lost the ability to look at himself in someone else's shoes. The gun was the tool he found easiest to use.

Exactly. That's what Obama said today, "it should not be so easy for someone who wants to inflict harm onto others to get a hold of a gun."

A gun is the easiest and most convenient (and thus most common) way for someone with such intentions to carry through on them.

Anyway, today's school shooter has been identified as Chris Harper Mercer. His age has been corrected from the governor's earlier statement: he was 26-years-old, not 20-years-old. He had two pistols and a rifle, which were recovered from the scene.

[Image: chris-harper-mercer-ucc-shooter-ftr1.jpg?w=600]

The number of victims has been revised to 10 dead and 7 wounded.

Umpqua Community College is a gun-free zone. Concealed carry is legal in Oregon, but not on that campus. The school security guard is unarmed.

So, some people will inevitably say that more needs to be done in screening via universal background checks and the like, especially if it turns out he had a diagnosed mental illness or a disqualifying arrest or got the guns at a gun show without a background check.

And, other people will say we just need better enforcement of existing laws, or that the killer would have been stopped if good/responsible gun owners had been allowed to carry on-campus.

And on it goes...

(10-01-2015, 10:45 PM)username Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 06:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: This is the thread being investigated in possible connection with today's school shooting.

HOLY FUCK!!! I can't imagine that thread will stay up indefinitely. That's...I can't even get my head around that. People saying "DO IT". Smiley_emoticons_shocked

That is some scary shit there. I heard one talking head saying the people that knew about this and in fact encouraged it (and didn't report it) could be culpable in some fashion. I hope that's true. Some of those sick fucks idolized this guy. Potential copycats as far as I'm concerned.

Geez. That thread falls under things I wish I didn't see/know.

Some batshit people, right?

The 4chan page isn't active; I scrounged around and found the archived copy that I linked because I wanted to see for myself what users had actually posted.

It's not confirmed yet that the person who posted the threat is today's shooter. But, if it's not, it's quite a coincidence.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 10-02-2015

(10-01-2015, 10:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Exactly. That's what Obama said today, "it should not be so easy for someone who wants to inflict harm onto others to get a hold of a gun."

Anyway, today's school shooter has been identified as Chris Harper Mercer. His age has been corrected from the governor's earlier statement: he was 26-years-old, not 20-years-old. He had two pistols and a rifle, which were recovered from the scene.

The number of victims has been revised to 10 dead and 7 wounded.

Umpqua Community College is a gun-free zone. Concealed carry is legal in Oregon, but not on that campus. The school security guard is unarmed.

So, some people will inevitably say that more needs to be done in screening via universal background checks and the like, especially if it turns out he had a diagnosed mental illness or a disqualifying arrest or got the guns at a gun show without a background check.

And, other people will say we just need better enforcement of existing laws, or that the killer would have been stopped if good/responsible gun owners had been allowed to carry on-campus.

And on it goes...

I would think a little of both would curtail some of these incidents. Colleges today should have some type of security. They certainly make enough money to afford it. Its really not black and white.

If someone did have a gun and shot the guy before he killed so many people would they have been charged with having a gun? Probably.

Better background checks would be OK but I really don't think that would stop very many truly motivated nut cases.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - SIXFOOTERsez - 10-02-2015

Wonder what the story on this particular nutfuck is, he looks like an asshole.
I would think that if this guy had a CCW it would have been out there by now, Screaming headlines, just a guess.
With all the weirdo shit going on these days having unarmed security is just irresponsible. Not blaming the school, but it could have made a difference.
They have metal detectors in public schools these days, why not colleges, especially the "Gun Free Zones"? How do they enforce the rules?

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Jimbone - 10-02-2015

Ironic how Obama was predicting the politicization of the story, as he was actually politicizing the story.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 09:10 AM)Maggot Wrote: I would think a little of both would curtail some of these incidents. Colleges today should have some type of security. They certainly make enough money to afford it. Its really not black and white.

If someone did have a gun and shot the guy before he killed so many people would they have been charged with having a gun? Probably.

Better background checks would be OK but I really don't think that would stop very many truly motivated nut cases.

Yeah, regardless as to how it turns out this shooter got his guns (he actually had 3 hand guns, a rifle, lots of ammo, and body armor), I continue to think a combination of gun violence deterrents is what's needed too.

Closing the background check loopholes, full/consistent mental health reporting to NICS by all states, full-force prosecution of straw buyers in all states, better equipped security in public areas, and a stronger push for the public to report suspicious behavior (and police to appropriately investigate it) in advance -- in combination -- would really help reduce public mass shootings, in my opinion.

It's still being investigated as to whether it was yesterday's shooter who posted a school shooting warning on 4chan the night before. But, it's been confirmed by postings on his own blog that yesterday's shooter was kind of in awe of the disgruntled shooter who shot the tv reporter and cameraman to death on the air last month. He mentioned in his blog how that killer went from a nobody to somebody whose name was on everybody's lips in one day.

I don't think the media is responsible for creating killers. But, I do think some suicidal, disgruntled, messed-up individuals are motivated to take as many people as possible with them by the notoriety that comes with a large-scale spree or mass murder.

I don't personally like the idea of censoring the media from reporting all facts and I like facts, but I don't object to media sources choosing not to release the identity of such killers (which might set the tone for social media users - or not), in attempt to deny the killers the desired notoriety. The Sheriff in Douglas County is refusing to say Mercer's name in media interviews and I get why.

Anyway, while I see pros and cons to suppressing that killer-specific information, I have no doubt that the news could be released effectively without it being repeated incessantly for several days across all the tv news outlets.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 10-02-2015

Don't worry something else will come along .......maybe a squirrel.
Besides the Syria thing is getting bigger by the day and that may take up a lot of space.

This is a big story and deserves media coverage, unlike a squirrel crossing (unless it's a talking, two-headed, nutless squirrel or something).

And, I'm not worried or concerned about the next thing to come along. There's more than enough going on in the world every day to keep the news outlets busy even without repetition of stories.

I just think "breaking news" coverage could more quickly become focused on updates, rather than repetition several times within the hour, and still keep the public effectively informed.

Ah well, that's one of the reasons I read a lot more news than I watch.

UPDATE: The 9 Deceased Victims of the Umpqua Community College Shooting
[Image: article-3257855-2D071D4800000578-381_964...1443794195]
(Clockwise from top left)
Rebecka Ann Carnes, 18;
Lucero Alcaraz, 19;
Kim Saltmarsh Dietz, 59;
Treven Taylor Anspach, 20;
Lucas Eibel, 18;
Lawrence Levine, 67;
Quinn Glen Cooper, 18;
Sarena Dawn Moore, 44;
and Jason Dale Johnson, 33.

Rest in Peace. 42

Nine others were wounded in the shooting; hoping they all heal fully.