Mock
ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING (/thread-10743.html)

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 02-12-2018

[Image: 4924A07D00000578-0-image-a-6_1518460605785.jpg]

4,284 names have been added to the FBI's NICS gun ban list of dishonorably discharged service people since the Texas shooter shot up a rural Baptist Church and killed 26 people.

Former military personnel should automatically be added to the gun ownership ban when they receive a dishonorable or bad-conduct discharge, but the US Air Force admitted it failed to submit the Texas gunman's name to the list even though he had been discharged for assaulting his wife.

The US Marine Corps, Air Force and Navy admitted that they have been going through old records and updating the FBI's information. Too bad it took such a terrible tragedy for them to adhere-to and enforce the existing laws.

Story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5382441/Military-adds-4-000-ex-members-gun-ban-list.html#ixzz56vyjC2ru

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 02-14-2018

Florida High School Mass Shooting

[Image: nikolas-cruz.jpeg?quality=65&strip=all]
[Image: parklandfloridaschoolshooting.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1]

-Today, a gunman, named as Nicolas de Jesus Cruz, 19 (pictured upper left), has been arrested after opening fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

- Authorities report at least 7 seven casualties at the school while up to 50 were injured in the shooting.

-Some students barricaded themselves inside their classrooms while others were seen sprinting away from the school as police and SWAT teams swarmed the building.

-At around 4pm, two hours after he first opened fire, police took the suspected gunman into custody.

-Police described him as a former student and ex-member of the JROTC.

-A student who claims to know Cruz said the suspected gunman was a 'troubled kid' and obsessed with guns. 'I stayed clear of him. I didn't want to cause any conflict with him because of the impression he gave off.' Other students were interviewed and said they were not at all surprised to learn that Cruz was the killer.

More:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5392559/Multiple-victims-Florida-school-shooting.html#ixzz577oDFwYu
https://heavy.com/news/2018/02/nicolas-nikolas-nick-cruz-florida-school-shooter-gunman-instagram/
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/14/florida-high-school-under-lockdown-after-reports-shooter-victims-police-say.html

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 02-14-2018

He knew the school, he knew the schedule. All schools should have passive metal detectors at all entrances. All other doors, exits should be exterior impassable. And a dedicated security guard with help according to the school population should be paid the same as a teacher and part of the unionization protocol. With full benefits or sub it out. Today's nutcases need to be dealt with the same as a terrorist. That is what they are. Politicians have no clue and should just shut their yaps because they have no idea whatsoever what needs to be done. They only look for votes in everything they do.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Midwest Spy - 02-14-2018

Hmmm... an expelled student is responsible for today’s carnage.

Someone that his fellow students predicted would one day return and shoot up the school.

Nice.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Duchess - 02-14-2018

Earlier I heard people saying this school had one way in, one way out and that all the schools in this district have their own in school security. I’ve heard nothing since then to explain why this kid made it past an armed individual unless that’s the person who was shot dead just outside the school.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Carsman - 02-14-2018

Another uproar after today's high school massacre.

Same uproar as after the Vegas music festival massacre.

Same uproar as after the Pluse Nightclub massacre.

Same uproar as after the Sandy hook School massacre.

Roar, Roar, Roar, "nothing" changes, except new victims are now dead.

In two weeks, the Roar, Roar, Roar will die down again like nothing ever happened,"until" the next massacre!

INSANE!!!

There are now 17 confirmed killed by the Florida high school shooter today. :(

Schools should have security guards, not to break up fights or to settle student disputes but to be a face of protection. If that kid knew there would be some level of security he may never have taken the chance. There are guards at banks, in malls and at parks, schools should have the same security.

I cannot imagine the pain these parents are going through.

I am looking into the level of security at my kids school in the next few weeks and will be writing letters to the editor and will try to put more pressure on the administration through awareness to make sure security is a main factor in budget policy.Hopefully with other parents backing. This crap needs to be addressed.

(02-14-2018, 08:47 PM)Duchess Wrote: Earlier I heard people saying this school had one way in, one way out and that all the schools in this district have their own in school security. I’ve heard nothing since then to explain why this kid made it past an armed individual unless that’s the person who was shot dead just outside the school.

I wonder how he got inside too, especially since he was reportedly wearing a gas mask and wielding at least one AR-15 (and in possession of several magazines).

If the school had security that SOB needs to answer some questions real fast.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - sally - 02-14-2018

This can't just be our way of life now, schools need to have metal detectors and security guards now because it's not going to stop otherwise.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Blindgreed1 - 02-15-2018

Ever since 911 you can't get into a heavy metal concert without going through some serious security check points. They pat you down (men and women), scan you for metals and send you back to your car and to the back of the line for a wallet chain, large belt buckle, hell I've even been rejected from line because my water bottle had a cap on it! But any asshole can walk into a school and start killing people. I ask you... What's wrong with that picture?

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - HairOfTheDog - 02-15-2018

(02-14-2018, 10:45 PM)sally Wrote: This can't just be our way of life now, schools need to have metal detectors and security guards now because it's not going to stop otherwise.

I'm really curious to hear about what specific security measures were in effect at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It's a huge high school with 3,000 students and multiple buildings.

Based on the news coverage, the teachers, staff, and students had all been taught what to do in a 'code red - active shooter' situation. That might have saved a lot of lives yesterday.

I read that there was a practice fire drill at the school yesterday morning. So, when the fire alarm went off again yesterday afternoon, some of the students and teachers interviewed thought it was weird, but they followed protocol and left their buildings to go to the outside gathering areas.

It's being suggested that it was the shooter who pulled the afternoon alarm in order to have more targets out in the open.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Midwest Spy - 02-15-2018

The latest: just another legally purchased firearm used to murder innocents.

Yep, the narrative that criminals will find a way to steal guns and commit atrocities has grown cobwebs, it’s so old.

Most, if not all, of these mass shootings are committed by people with legally purchased weapons.

Time to do away with them (AR-15’s and equivalent).

Period.

(02-15-2018, 11:47 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: The latest: just another legally purchased firearm used to murder innocents.

Yep, the narrative that criminals will find a way to steal guns and commit atrocities has grown cobwebs, it’s so old.

Most, if not all, of these mass shootings are committed by people with legally purchased weapons.

Time to do away with them (AR-15’s and equivalent).

Period.

It's been confirmed that the shooter had been receiving mental health treatment until last year, but I bet there's no information about that in the NICS background check system.

It also appears that the FBI missed out on an opportunity to intervene before the shooting, when a bail bondsman in Mississippi last year alerted the feds about an alarming online message Cruz wrote saying he was 'going to be a professional school shooter'.

Ben Bennight says he alerted the FBI to a comment shared by Cruz on one of his YouTube videos back in September. He says the FBI was quick to respond to the concerning statement, arriving at his office the very next day to find out if he knew anything about the young man.

That was after he called a local field agent, revealing that his initial attempts to send in a screengrab of the comment failed when the email address he found listed on the federal agency's website came back with a domain error saying that it did not exist.

He didn't get a follow up from the FBI until Wednesday though, after the shooting. At a press conference Thursday morning, an FBI officials said they followed up on the report but were 'unable to further identify the person who made the comment'. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5394229/Florida-high-school-shooting-plunges-city-mourning.html

It's also been confirmed that Cruz's mother died in November. He was adopted by her when he was an infant and she was reportedly the only person with whom he was close.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Midwest Spy - 02-15-2018

I bet in just about all of these shootings, going all the way back to Columbine, and including those incidents that weren’t school related (CO theater, Las Vegas, etc), that there were multiple warning signs that the perp was a ticking time bomb.

So, what can be done?

Nada, zippo, zilch.

We’re a free society and until a person commits a crime...

How do we keep guns out of these individuals hands? Doesn’t really matter.

Gun zealots will tell you that if a person can’t buy one legally, they’ll just steal one.

Or, they’ll use a bomb, automobile, harsh language, etc.

Remember that old saying, “don’t be in the wrong place at the wrong time?’

There are a number of things that can be done to reduce the number of mass shootings and victims, but voters need to press hard on their elected officials to make it happen.

One of those things is better adherence and enforcement of existing procedures and laws.

--In the case of Dylann Roof, if the LE agencies hadn't messed up on paperwork and failed to conduct the background check in the short period allowed, he would not have been able to purchase the gun he used to kill 9 people in a church.

--In the case of Texas shooter Devin Kelley........if the military had entered Kelley and others who were dishonorably discharged for violent crimes into NICS, as is required, he would not have been able to purchase some of the guns he used to kill 26 people in a church.

--In the case of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz.......if his mental issues had been reported into NICS and/or the tip about him posting that he wanted to become a professional school shooter had been thoroughly investigated by the FBI (it was posted under his own name, FFS), maybe he wouldn't have been able to buy the gun that he used to kill 17 people yesterday.

I think a lot of people are at a point where thoughts and prayers from politicians who refuse to take any meaningful action has gotten old and unacceptable. Hopefully, voters will stay all over their representatives and Senators demanding action.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 02-15-2018

You forgot a better security presence at schools. That is the number one thing in my belief. Everyone should be buzzed in after security looks in a camera to see who it is. especially the bigger schools.

I also heard the shooter was not caught inside the school but that may be wrong.

Politicians are just putting their face in the camera and are really useless at this point. I still do not believe taking guns away from law abiding citizens is the answer.

(02-15-2018, 04:58 PM)Maggot Wrote: You forgot a better security presence at schools. That is the number one thing in my belief. Everyone should be buzzed in after security looks in a camera to see who it is. especially the bigger schools.

I also heard the shooter was not caught inside the school but that may be wrong.

I agree with sally and you about enhanced school security unfortunately being needed.

But, that's not an existing federal law or mandated procedure in line with the examples of breaches I listed.

I didn't forget about some firearms and ammo restrictions/bans that are not currently in effect either, though I believe some are needed.

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING - Maggot - 02-15-2018

It does not have to be a mandate, each town and state takes care of that kind of thing. If a budget can be raised for retirement reasons and adding teachers it could surely be done for security. It really is not that difficult.