Mock
ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Funny Shit & Good Shit (https://mockforums.net/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: SPORTS CORNER (https://mockforums.net/forum-34.html)
+--- Thread: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES (/thread-10932.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Midwest Spy - 09-12-2014

Well, this will certainly tarnish his image in this town.

He looked old and slow last week against the Rams. He missed holes, cutbacks and in general, lacked explosiveness.

I wonder if this has been weighing on him?

Will this qualify under the leagues new Domestic Abuse policy?

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Midwest Spy - 09-12-2014

As for the injuries, those go beyond normal discipline IMO.

My dad used a belt on me as a kid, but I never bled.

He's an asshole.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - HairOfTheDog - 09-12-2014

(09-12-2014, 07:15 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Will this qualify under the leagues new Domestic Abuse policy?

He won't be playing with the Vikings on Sunday.

According to the linked article, the new Domestic Abuse policy applies and stricter penalties are possible because a child is involved. I knew that stricter penalties were possible if the player assaulted a woman who was pregnant or did it in the presence of a child, but hadn't seen specific policy against violence towards children themselves until the reference in the article (makes sense though -- it qualifies as Domestic Abuse).

Turns out, the boy is only 4 years old. Whipping a little kid like that with a switch or a branch is too much, IMO. Peterson admitted that he'd "whooped" on the boy because the boy had pushed another one of his kids away from a video game. The boy told his mom about the beating via Skype from Peterson's home during his visit.

Peterson also told police that he was confident in his actions because he knew his intent and that he didn't plan on giving up whooping his child because he knows how much it helped him when he was disciplined that way. Cycle...

The police have texts that Peterson sent to the boy's mom warning her that she wasn't gonna like the marks when the boy got home: “You will be mad at me about his leg.” Later, he texted: “He got about five more pops than normal. He didn’t drop one tear! … He’s tough as nails.”

I don't need to know who the mom is now that I've seen the police report, Peterson's own statement, and the photos. Clearly, this is beyond an unsubstantiated allegation at this point. It's not disputed that Peterson whipped a 4 year old to the extent that marks were left all over his body, marks which a doctor noted were "extensive" and "abusive".

I think Peterson is very mistaken in thinking that his claimed intent matters here -- it's not a self-defense case. I don't think that the remorse he expressed in his statement today will help him either; it contradicts his previous statements condoning what he did and expressing his intent to keep doing it. Peterson's in very deep shit, IMO.

Ref: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Cutz - 09-13-2014

Jesus... a 4 year old?

That old, religious, Texas corporal punishment runs real deep. I'm not against parents disciplining their kids even with spankings / minor violence, but AD crossed the line.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Duchess - 09-13-2014

(09-12-2014, 07:15 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Well, this will certainly tarnish his image in this town.

There will be people who think more parents should be using some serious discipline on their little bastards. I encounter more bratty kids in public than I do those who know how to act. A lot of parents let themselves be walked over like a rug. Mustn't upset little Johnny & Susy Q and god forbid you raise a hand to them because they will be reporting your ass.

As I'm reading a little more about this story I see it said that Texas law permits parents to spank & paddle their children. Do I take that to mean that there are states where it is against the law to do that? Are you fucking kidding me?

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Carsman - 09-13-2014

Yep, I'm from the old school, and I did use corporal punishment on my kids. But it was a whack on the ass, sometimes two whacks, and the were fully clothed at the time. They usually didn't cry, sometimes they cried cause there feelings were hurt more then their ass.
It worked, they all are productive, well adjusted adults, that never used drugs, alcohol, never got into real trouble, and even did not ever smoke.

However, Peterson, should have his balls stapled to the locker room wall, to remind the rest of the wanna be jocks to back off and show some restraint with their kids and women! That SOB is a lying sack of shit, saying the kid never busted a tear, with a whoopin like that!

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - HairOfTheDog - 09-13-2014

(09-13-2014, 05:26 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-12-2014, 07:15 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Well, this will certainly tarnish his image in this town.
There will be people who think more parents should be using some serious discipline on their little bastards. I encounter more bratty kids in public than I do those who know how to act. A lot of parents let themselves be walked over like a rug. Mustn't upset little Johnny & Susy Q and god forbid you raise a hand to them because they will be reporting your ass.

Personally, as the discussion surrounding the charges against Adrian Peterson continues, I'll be surprised if many people take to advocating for seriously disciplining a child by lashing the child with a whipping object which inflicts cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs, and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands.

How the cycle of abuse is passed down between generations is something I do expect to be reading a lot about.

A swat or a spank is something that I think many people consider appropriate discipline (non-abusive) and won't be surprised to see that come up often in the discussion.

Yes, but as it goes with sports, as more outlets start talking about AD, ray rice will disappear from recollection.

I haven't seen it suggested here that leaving a mark is what qualifies discipline as "abuse".

Some people believe that swatting, spanking and slapping is sometimes appropriate discipline for children -- whether it leaves a mark or not. Others don't believe that adults should ever raise a hand to a child -- whether it leaves a mark or not.

I don't tell others how to discipline their children.

Child abuse laws exist to protect children from adults who inflict serious physical and emotional damage upon children, whether it's outta anger or because they feel that they are seriously disciplining the child for his/her own good. I'm glad those laws exist -- I hate reading the stories of children severely beaten (sometimes to death), especially by their own parents.

It's my opinion that "whooping" the crap out of a 4 year old's bare-skinned little body with a switch (marks will always be left in such a case) exceeds discipline and qualifies as abusive by most rational people's criteria, and under the law. So, I think Adrian Peterson is in deep shit. And, I think MS is right about such actions tarnishing his image.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Midwest Spy - 09-13-2014

Both my kids have Peterson jerseys and wore them to a football party last weekend.

Now, I have to reconsider doing that. I'm not telling them what Peterson did, but I have a real problem with how he disciplined that 4 year old.

I have spanked all 3 of my kids, but there is a line that a parent can cross and I think he did.

My grandmother used to beat my uncle's backside with a hairbrush.

When the brush broke... they both knew he was too old for the whoopins.

(09-13-2014, 09:53 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Both my kids have Peterson jerseys and wore them to a football party last weekend.

Now, I have to reconsider doing that. I'm not telling them what Peterson did, but I have a real problem with how he disciplined that 4 year old.

So here is an athlete that you & your kids have been a fan of and because he disciplined his son in a way that you don't approve of your kids can no longer wear his number. Do I understand that correctly?

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Midwest Spy - 09-13-2014

(09-13-2014, 10:57 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-13-2014, 09:53 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Both my kids have Peterson jerseys and wore them to a football party last weekend.

So here is an athlete that you & your kids have been a fan of and because he disciplined his son in a way that you don't approve of your kids can no longer wear his number. Do I understand that correctly?

Are you not able to grasp that?

He's a dad and I'm a dad, first and foremost.

If I don't approve of how he disciplines his children, then I can make the choice of whether or not I remain a fan.

I'm sure you're just trying to 'get me going'.

I can appreciate that.

And if your kids want to keep the jersey, you can just beat them

(09-13-2014, 11:01 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Are you not able to grasp that?

I am not able to grasp that. In my mind, I am able to separate things with ease. I have no problem compartmentalizing. I did it for years with Michael.

Adrian's mugshot -

[Image: BxZMwrcCQAAVCx4.jpg:large]

(09-13-2014, 09:23 AM)Cutz Wrote: Yes, but as it goes with sports, as more outlets start talking about AD, ray rice will disappear from recollection.

Yeah, the Rice story will definitely lose public focus with more media exposure to the Peterson story -- I think the discussion will primarily shift from spousal abuse to child abuse for a while.

It happens with every kind of news --a big story is at the top, until the next big story takes the lead.

Ray MacDonald is kinda getting a break in terms of public focus and condemnation, probably thanks to Rice and Peterson. I'm hoping it turns out that MacDonald did not beat on his pregnant fiancee (course, I wish that Rice and Peterson hadn't done what they did either).

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - HairOfTheDog - 09-15-2014

Looks like I was wrong about the public focus lessening some on Rice and spousal abuse and growing when it comes to Peterson and child abuse -- still seeing more Rice-related stories than any other sports pieces in the main news pages.

There seems to be a growing demand for Roger Goodell to resign because of what his detractors claim is apathy or leniency when it comes to violence against women. He didn't come to the 49ers game at the new stadium last night. I understand that he was scheduled to attend -- as he usually does for opening-stadium games -- but he backed out.

Ray MacDonald played for the 49ers last night. He was arrested for domestic violence a couple of weeks back, but has not been charged yet. The 49ers management has said that they will wait until the LE investigation is complete and there is due process before considering any action against him. (The alleged abuse of his pregnant fiancee took place at his birthday party at his home -- it's now being reported that about half the team was present and are being interviewed as witnesses).

Greg Hardy of the Panthers was deactivated after the Peterson child abuse story hit the news. The Panthers had been advocating for due process and keeping him on the field, but they reversed course. His case is further along. He was convicted by a judge of assaulting a woman and communicating threats. He is appealing the verdict and a jury trial has been set for November. Up until yesterday, the Panthers organization said it would not consider punishment until that court case has wrapped up.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/14/6705664/panthers-deactivate-greg-hardy.html#storylink=cpy

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Duchess - 09-15-2014

Vikings fan carried a switch into the game yesterday. 113

[Image: BxgJPblCYAAZlYj.jpg:large]