Mock
ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Funny Shit & Good Shit (https://mockforums.net/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: SPORTS CORNER (https://mockforums.net/forum-34.html)
+--- Thread: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES (/thread-10932.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Blindgreed1 - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 02:55 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Tim Wolfe has resigned as president of University of Missouri.

He's been facing heat for allegedly failing to address systematic racism on campus. One student said he was called a "nigger" by some guys in a pick up truck. Another campus incident involved a swastika drawn in feces in a dorm bathroom. When the campus' black activist group (Concerned Students 1950) barricaded his car at the homecoming parade and demanded to talk to him about the incidents, Wolfe had them removed by police.

Wolfe had announced that he was working of diversity and tolerance reforms to be implemented in early 2016 and wouldn't resign. But, that wasn't far or fast enough for the protesters and their supporters.

Once 30 black football team members joined the campus' black activist group (Concerned Students 1950) and threatened to stop playing, and the team management supported the players, Wolfe did an about face, apologized, agreed to step down and took full responsibility for his inaction.

Personally, I suspect that the big football money was as much or more a factor in Wolfe's departure than anything else.

Story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3310578/My-decision-comes-love-not-hate-University-Missouri-President-Tim-Wolfe-RESIGNS-amid-racism-controversies.html
It's not the story you want to see covered on ESPN.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - HairOfTheDog - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 02:56 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: It's ridiculous that smoking weed carries a longer suspension than domestic abuse, but I will say the Commish tried to get it right on this one. NFLPA got his suspension reduced.

Thanks Gunnar. I didn't know that about the players union. They seem to be having good success lobbying on behalf of penalized players.

Anyway, I agree -- it really is ridiculous that smoking weed is sometimes more heavily penalized than domestic violence.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Maggot - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 02:57 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: These are the demands issued by Concerned Student 1950 to the University of Missouri.

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals — particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/missouri-protesters-issue-list-of-demands-to-university-110815

Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. he should have stayed and issued counter demands.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Midwest Spy - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 03:23 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(11-09-2015, 02:57 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: These are the demands issued by Concerned Student 1950 to the University of Missouri.

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals — particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/missouri-protesters-issue-list-of-demands-to-university-110815

Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. he should have stayed and issued counter demands.

I'm sure he just said, "get me the hell out of this bullshit state."

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Duchess - 11-09-2015

I don't want to give anything to people who say "we demand".

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Blindgreed1 - 11-09-2015

According to the story I saw on ESPN this morning, there were many (black and white) who didn't support "concerned student" and said it was just a ploy for this kid to get attention. Particularly this kid of color.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Maggot - 11-09-2015

Now why would he do that? 116

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - HairOfTheDog - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 04:06 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: According to the story I saw on ESPN this morning, there were many (black and white) who didn't support "concerned student" and said it was just a ploy for this kid to get attention. Particularly this kid of color.

I take it you're talking about the student who went on a hunger strike.

There were a bunch of other students doing sit-ins and holding protests for months prior. But, I'm sure not everyone on campus supports the Concerned Student 1950 group in general or the hunger striker specifically.

I'm a little surprised they succeeded in getting the President (and now the Chancellor) to step down. I don't think that could have happened had those football players and the team managers (and local politicians) not gotten behind the activist group.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Blindgreed1 - 11-10-2015

(11-09-2015, 10:56 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(11-09-2015, 04:06 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: According to the story I saw on ESPN this morning, there were many (black and white) who didn't support "concerned student" and said it was just a ploy for this kid to get attention. Particularly this kid of color.

I take it you're talking about the student who went on a hunger strike.

There were a bunch of other students doing sit-ins and holding protests for months prior. But, I'm sure not everyone on campus supports the Concerned Student 1950 group in general or the hunger striker specifically.

I'm a little surprised they succeeded in getting the President (and now the Chancellor) to step down. I don't think that could have happened had those football players and the team managers (and local politicians) not gotten behind the activist group.
It's been a high profile school since Michael Sam came out, so it's not surprising that it's on the radar for protests of this sort.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Maggot - 11-10-2015

Most black guys are a bit nervous around gay guys they tend to be a bit more bigoted than white guys around them.

(11-10-2015, 11:07 AM)Maggot Wrote: Most black guys are a bit nervous around gay guys they tend to be a bit more bigoted than white guys around them.
Particularly gay kids of color? hah

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - HairOfTheDog - 11-10-2015

I saw that Michael Sam weighed-in on the Mizzou shake up.

He said that he didn't experience racism on campus, but he saw it going on and nobody did anything about it. So, he's praising the protesters for affecting change and he's hailing the power of sports.

The activists' demand that Tim Wolfe address the student body and acknowledge his white male privilege put me off. I don't get what value people see in forced insincere apologies and statements.

(11-10-2015, 12:09 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I saw that Michael Sam weighed-in on the Mizzou shake up.

He said that he didn't experience racism on campus, but he saw it going on and nobody did anything about it. So, he's praising the protesters for affecting change and he's hailing the power of sports.

The activists' demand that Tim Wolfe address the student body and acknowledge his white male privilege put me off. I don't get what value people see in forced insincere apologies and statements.
Including him apparently.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Duchess - 11-10-2015

More demands. Jesus. Demands turn me off and make me feel a little irate. Fuck that. I don't think anyone who demands anything is deserving.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Maggot - 11-11-2015

College kids and entitlement, they should be asking to get out of mid terms any time now.........

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Duchess - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 10:36 AM)Maggot Wrote: College kids and entitlement

That sense of entitlement used to bother me a great deal but now I just sit back and wait & watch all the little bastards get out into the real world and they don't have one friggin' clue as to what to do nor how to do it because they have been handed every goddamn thing under the sun and don't know how to work for what they want. The real world will be their rude awakening and I get a good laugh out of that. Good job, Mom & Dad! 39

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Maggot - 11-11-2015

This is their way, do as I say not as I do.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Duchess - 11-11-2015

They are protesting and then bitching because the media is not respecting their space? Do I understand that correctly? Hahahaha! Jesus.

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - Blindgreed1 - 11-11-2015

hah "An unethical reporter!"

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES - HairOfTheDog - 12-23-2015

Concussions

[Image: 2F97540200000578-0-image-a-41_1450903874505.jpg]

I think Cutz and I discussed the lawsuit by retired NFL players in regards to concussions way upthread.

Concussions can and do happen in every contact sport. But, there seems to be a lot of focus on the frequency of serious concussions suffered by high school, college, and professional American football players these days.

The movie "Concussion" starring Will Smith opens in a couple of days. Smith plays Dr. Bennet Omalu (pictured center) who helped discover chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

Omalu's discovery and struggle to be heard by the NFL heads will be portrayed in the film. Sounds like the film portrays the NFL heads as dismissive assholes who don't give a shit about the players' health and only care about the money.

Omalu estimates that over 90% of NFL players will suffer long term problems associated with the disease.

I'm not a big football fan (nor a Will Smith fan) but I'm interested in the health and legal aspects of the story and will definitely watch it when it hits On Demand.

I'm kinda curious if any of Mock's avid NFL fans think the exposure from the movie will change any football fans' minds or if most fans figure the players get paid well in advance for a potential lifetime of challenges?