Mock
RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (/thread-11288.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Duchess - 07-14-2014

What part of illegal aren't some people getting?

Here's ANOTHER case of an illegal suing an American -

Roy Ortiz, an illegal immigrant living in Colorado, was recently rescued from dangerous flood waters by first responders. Now Ortiz, who barely speaks English, is thinking about suing them because "mistakes were made." The argument? Rescuers failed to get him out of a submerged car fast enough and now he's having bad dreams. Ortiz is demanding $500,000 in damages which if awarded, would be paid out by taxpayers.

Story

More -

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 07-15-2014

People, Pressure, Pledges, and Partisan Politics

Yesterday, President Obama authorized the first deportation of Central American migrants/refugees since he publicly pledged to speed up the process and called on Congress for budget and action to address the growing crisis at the Texas border.

[Image: n-HONDURAS-MIGRANT-large570.jpg]

Honduran President Juan Hernandez, in an interview published on Monday, blamed U.S. drug policy for sparking violence and ramping up migration to the United States. His wife urged the United States to do more to help.

"The countries consuming drugs need to support (us) and take joint responsibility because if there wasn't demand, there wouldn't be production and we wouldn't be living like we are," Ana Garcia de Hernandez said as she awaited the children.

Obama's administration has projected that without government action, more than 150,000 unaccompanied children under the age of 18 could flee the three Central American nations next year.

The proposed actions will test Obama's ability to negotiate effectively with Republican lawmakers who have blocked much of his agenda ahead of a November election when they hope to capture the U.S. Senate from his Democratic Party.

Story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/14/us-deports-honduran-children_n_5586326.html

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Duchess - 07-15-2014

I watched the plane land back in their country last night & I felt sorry for those who had first left there filled with hope in starting a new life in America. Smiley_emoticons_slash

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Blindgreed1 - 07-15-2014

Protesters are going to try to stop a bus full about 20 miles from me today in the town of Oracle Az.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Maggot - 07-15-2014

It would be cheaper for towns to charter a plane and fly them back. Or Fed-Ex them back.

I think it's awesome that towns are beginning to stand up for themselves.

(07-15-2014, 12:39 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I think it's awesome that towns are beginning to stand up for themselves.

They may have to lock all their doors and act like their not there if the army comes in. Just do a town lockdown and anyone that refuses can accept them.

(07-15-2014, 12:46 PM)Maggot Wrote: They may have to lock all their doors and act like their not there if the army comes in.

I never thought it could come to that! That's worrisome to me to think that entire communities could be forced to accept busloads of illegals.

On a good note I believe they are all eligible for Obamacare.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Blindgreed1 - 07-15-2014

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/2014/07/15/arizona-illegal-immigration-protesters-oracle-inspired-murrieta/12660795/

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 07-15-2014

(07-15-2014, 01:36 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/2014/07/15/arizona-illegal-immigration-protesters-oracle-inspired-murrieta/12660795/

I saw a story about another protest/demonstration in Michigan today.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/15/protest-children-guns_n_5587681.html

Most of the gun-toting, "don't tread on me" flag wavers were not from the town in question.

I understand both sides of the immigration issue. But, I'm not really clear on the objection to social service facilities in various states housing unaccompanied children and caring for them for a few weeks while their immigration/residency requests are being processed.

The children/teens would be supervised at all times and it would alleviate the cattle type conditions at the vastly over-crowded border detention centers that already require federal funding and staff.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Blindgreed1 - 07-16-2014

(07-15-2014, 11:23 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(07-15-2014, 01:36 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/2014/07/15/arizona-illegal-immigration-protesters-oracle-inspired-murrieta/12660795/

I saw a story about another protest/demonstration in Michigan today.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/15/protest-children-guns_n_5587681.html

Most of the gun-toting, "don't tread on me" flag wavers were not from the town in question.

I understand both sides of the immigration issue. But, I'm not really clear on the objection to social service facilities in various states housing unaccompanied children and caring for them for a few weeks while their immigration/residency requests are being processed.

The children/teens would be supervised at all times and it would alleviate the cattle type conditions at the vastly over-crowded border detention centers that already require federal funding and staff.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/immigration-border-crisis/arizona-residents-protest-arrival-undocumented-immigrant-children-n155941

This pretty much sums it up. It was done in secret and as I've said from the get go, there are concerns about MS-13 connections

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 07-16-2014

(07-15-2014, 09:56 AM)Duchess Wrote: I watched the plane land back in their country last night & I felt sorry for those who had first left there filled with hope in starting a new life in America. Smiley_emoticons_slash

I think the 2008 Bush law did, in fact, encourage a floodgate of Central American immigrants attempting to cross the borders -- and it needs to be amended to reflect today's reality. I feel badly for the Central American children and their journey to get here is no walk in the park. But, we don't have the capacity to accept everyone who comes here simply because they want a better life, without many citizens believing it worsens their lives.

This is a good recap of the protests going on across the country as the government attempts to house some of the unaccompanied children that are already here, but for whom there is no room at the existing detention centers. RECAP: http://us.cnn.com/2014/07/15/politics/immigration-not-in-my-backyard/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The majority of Democrats and Republicans have agreed for years that the 2008 law needs to be amended or scratched, but the law hasn't been changed because both parties want to be the one credited with a sweeping all-inclusive immigration reform package.

So, for now, Obama can send back accompanied minors and adults, but he can't legally deport unaccompanied minors until the Congress works together and amends the existing law.

THE EXISTING LAW REGARDING UNACCOMPANIED CENTRAL AMERICAN CHILDREN
On Dec. 23, 2008, George W. Bush signed into law the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act. This bipartisan measure described exactly how unaccompanied children crossing the border must be treated.

For children coming from Mexico and Canada, countries with a border with the United States, a Border Patrol officer has the authority to determine whether the child is eligible to stay in the country. And because the child can be easily handed over to officials from his or her home country, the process can move very quickly.

But for kids from Central America, where handing them back to authorities is more complicated, the law dictates that Customs and Border Patrol must turn undocumented children over to the Department of Health and Human Services within 72 hours.

HHS will then hold them humanely until they can be released to a “suitable family member” in the United States.

And the law requires HHS to ensure “to the greatest extent practicable” that these detained children “have counsel to represent them in legal proceedings or matters” who can explain how to apply for asylum or find ways to stay in the country.

At the time, the changes were intended to prevent immigration officials from inadvertently sending kids back to pimps and drug violence. The bill passed with remarkable speed – introduced Dec. 9, 2008, passed the House and Senate on the 10th and signed into law 13 days later.

It frustrates me that Congress won't work together to make the immediate necessary changes to deport new unqualified children quickly while the detention centers are already way overcrowded. They could do that first and then address the issue of how to best handle those who are already here.

(Edit: link)

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 07-16-2014

Effin' Politicians

This is how a Republican congressional candidate from Arizona tries to use migrant children as a political pawn.

I think Kwasman just threw his own ass under the bus.

39 funny, funny shit.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 07-20-2014

GOP TASK FORCE TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS?

[Image: 140715_kay_granger_ap_328.jpg]
^ Kay Granger

The House Republican spearheading a policy response to the crisis on the southern border pledged Friday to release recommendations early next week.

The seven-member group established by Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has already missed a few self-imposed deadlines to make public its proposal to curb the influx of unaccompanied minors, primarily from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, at the Texas border.

In a statement released Friday evening, Rep. Kay Granger (R-Texas, pictured above) said the group had made “extraordinary progress in a short amount of time” and was preparing “sensible, humane, but tough recommendations” on the border crisis.

The group is likely to recommend revising a 2008 anti-trafficking law to effectively speed up deportations of the migrant children, boosting National Guard troops at the border, and bolstering border-security measures, among other provisions.

“This is not a political problem,” Granger said. “This is an urgent crisis that must be dealt with immediately.”

“The working group believes there are steps that can be taken to stop individuals, mostly women and children, from making the horrific trip from Central America to our southern border,” she continued.

“Additionally, we must ensure that our border is secure and that unaccompanied minors are repatriated back to their home country in a swift and humane way, while ensuring proper protections are in place for the children who need them.”

While the group has lagged in releasing its plan, some of its members have released their own proposals. Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) has unveiled an asylum measure. And Rep. John Carter (R-Texas) dropped a bill that, in principle, is similar to what the group is poised to recommend — treating children from Central America the same as minors from Mexico, who can be sent home more quickly.

“I appreciate the legislative solutions being introduced by members of the working group and look forward to incorporating many of their ideas in our recommendations,” Granger said.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/kay-granger-border-proposals-109125.html#ixzz381r167Pf

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 07-24-2014

I was wrong upthread when I posted this:
The majority of Democrats and Republicans have agreed for years that the 2008 law needs to be amended or scratched...

Apparently, most Democratic congresspersons do not want the 2008 law revised to remove the requirement for deportation hearings (for all non-Mexican unaccompanied children attempting to cross the border into the US).

I don't know if that's changed recently with more Democrats opposing some of Obama's proposals or I misunderstood a couple of years ago when the politicians were weighing in on each side.

Anyway, as I understand it NOW, the majority of the GOP and Obama are in agreement that an initial screening at the border, like what's done with Mexicans attempting to enter, should be done for Central American migrants. If they don't meet "asylum" criteria, then they get sent back without being transported to a detention center to await a hearing. On the contrary, the majority of the Dems wanna keep the deportation hearing requirement in tact.

So, nothing's gonna happen with immigration legislation for (even more) months now. Doesn't look like Boehner wants to act on Kay Granger and Co's new proposal until September or later. Obama doesn't have a buy-off with the majority of his own party.

And, the trains keep a rollin'...

Related article: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/congress-dithers-on-migrant-agreement-109311.html?hp=l5

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Maggot - 07-24-2014

They say that "the children" are about 15% of the people coming in. Most are adults. A terrorists favorite dream crossing and entering with such ease.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Duchess - 07-24-2014

I read recently that the UN would like to see these illegals labeled refugees.

When parents send their little kids alone who do they think is going to take care of them, feed them, house them, support them? Is their mindset such that they push them on the US and hope for the best?

I don't know what it's like to live in fear or not have enough of anything I need so I can't really relate to what these people are going through. Aren't there other places to send their kids, a place for them all to go as a family?

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Maggot - 07-25-2014

Great, they want to house them at military facilities till January. Let them play with the soldiers. They would make good human shields though.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Duchess - 07-25-2014

That's going to cost a lot of money.