Mock
RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (/thread-11288.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Maggot - 09-04-2014

I wonder how they like snow. Usually they leave when it gets cold. Mother nature is a cruel mistress. hah

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - cannongal - 09-05-2014

(09-04-2014, 06:37 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Looks like Maggot got the best end of the deal.

Nah, We get a lot of African Refugees dumped here. Manchester is so full of them, that the Mayor was begging other towns and school districts to help out.

Just this summer they were discussing dumping them in Dover. I saw an article somewhere about the school being told to prepare for about 500 non english speaking students.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 09-10-2014

Tácticas de Puesto 45

It's only been 7 years...what's a few more months?

Snip:
The collapse of comprehensive immigration legislation in Congress this summer has raised the stakes for Obama. He pledged in June to use executive authority to remake border-control policies by summer’s end. But the White House announced Saturday that he would not act until after the midterm elections in November because of political concerns from jittery Democrats (HOTD: regarding how it could affect votes in the November Congressional elections). The news only added to the list of disappointments for Latinos, activists and some Democratic lawmakers. http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-immigration-advisor-cecilia-munoz-taking-the-heat-for-obama-on-immigration/2014/09/08/1939154a-3439-11e4-9e92-0899b306bbea_story.html

C'mon, Obama...

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 11-23-2014

IMMIGRATION REFORM MOVING FORWARD

[Image: n-OBAMA-large.jpg]

President Barack Obama is shrugging off Republican criticism of his actions to lift the threat of deportation from millions of immigrants living illegally in the United States.

In an interview broadcast Sunday on ABC's "This Week," Obama said it was important that he act unilaterally to prioritize the deportation of criminals and recent arrivals and spare those who have lived here illegally for at least five years and have roots, including children who are American citizens.

"Why we would prefer a system in which they're in the shadows, potentially taking advantage of living here but not contributing?" Obama said in the interview, which was taped Friday in Las Vegas after Obama delivered an immigration speech there.

The president pointed to executive orders issued by Democratic and Republican predecessors and said presidents exercise "prosecutorial discretion all the time."

Obama's executive actions, which he announced Thursday, have drawn a withering response from Republicans, but also has laid bare divisions within the GOP over how to deal with immigration.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, rejected Obama's claim of prosecutorial discretion. "Essentially he's gotten in the job of counterfeiting immigration papers, because there's no legal authority to do what he's doing," Cruz said on "Fox News Sunday."

A second Republican, Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, said his party shares the blame for failing to get an immigration bill through the House of Representatives.

"Shame on us as Republicans for having a body that cannot generate a solution to an issue that is national security, it's cultural and it's economic. The Senate has done this three times," Graham said on CNN's "State of the Union."

Indeed, Obama cast his decision as the result of the Republican-led House's failure to act on a comprehensive immigration bill the Senate passed with bipartisan support in June 2013, or advance legislation of its own.

He said Republicans still could pass an immigration bill.

Full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/23/obama-immigration_n_6209068.html

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Maggot - 11-24-2014

There are immigration procedures out there already. The problem got worse by bringing in a pile of them then saying WTF do we do now? Stop bringing them in at least until the ones that are here get sorted out, don't keep accepting them.
Now South America has heard all this they will be swarming like ants at a picnic.

(09-05-2014, 09:38 AM)cannongal Wrote:
(09-04-2014, 06:37 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Looks like Maggot got the best end of the deal.

Nah, We get a lot of African Refugees dumped here. Manchester is so full of them, that the Mayor was begging other towns and school districts to help out.

Just this summer they were discussing dumping them in Dover. I saw an article somewhere about the school being told to prepare for about 500 non english speaking students.

The education tax is 22.00 per thousand now. WTF!

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Midwest Spy - 11-24-2014

(11-24-2014, 12:30 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(09-05-2014, 09:38 AM)cannongal Wrote:

The education tax is 22.00 per thousand now. WTF!

I may have mentioned this before, but somehow MN decided way back in the 1980's and 1990's that we'd be the new home for many immigrants.

Hmong, Lao, Vietnamese, Liberian, and the worst of them, the Somalis.

Of course, very few of these wish to assimilate into their new home, instead clinging to their own traditions and customs (including dress).

They're in our schools, at our parks, in our malls and driving on our roads.

I can't even imagine the tax dollars required to house, feed and educate these folks during the past 20 years and the years to come.

It was different 70 yrs ago, immigrants wanted to be Americans and would bend over backwards to become one. Today they bring the problems of their origins with them. That includes their crime and drugs and gangs. They did back in the day too but it seems that they do not want to assimilate like they once did. I don't mind the productive ones its the punks that should be shot on sight.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 02-22-2015

Checkmate

In a Republican-led lawsuit brought by Texas and 25 states, Judge Andrew S. Hanen issued a preliminary injunction stopping the Obama administration from implementing the president's recently announced executive actions to confer temporary lawful presence and 3-year work permits to more than 4 million undocumented immigrants who are considered a low priority for deportation.

Hanen's 123-page ruling found that the states have "standing" to sue and suggests that he will probably agree with their argument on the merits.

The appeals court and perhaps the Supreme Court will have the ultimate say in the matter.

Most of the legal pundits I've seen weighing-in believe that Hanen's ruling will be overturned on appeal.

Quick Recap: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/fivepoints/judge-injunction-immigration-executive-action

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - HairOfTheDog - 02-22-2015

Stand-off -- Raymondville, Texas

In the meantime....... in one of those highly-profitable, quickly-assembled, pop-up tent private prisons located in bumfuck USA, the incarcerated immigrants have taken control of the compound.

[Image: Raymondville_private_prison_0.jpg]

About 2,000 inmates housed at the Willacy County Correctional Center rioted Friday in protest of medical services, officials said. Most of those in custody are charged either with illegally re-entering the country or with nonviolent drug crimes, the ACLU reported. Some were in the U.S. on visas or green cards before their arrests.

By 12:15 p.m., the facility was on lockdown as officers met with offenders to try to resolve the conflict. About 45 minutes later, many offenders broke out of the housing structures and went to the recreation yard.

Inmates set fire to three of the 10 prison tents, causing minor damage, officials said. The facility is made up of 10 Kevlar domes and was established in summer 2006; it's commonly referred to as a “tent city.”

“There’s been some shots fired. Guards on top of the tower were firing. What they were using as ammunition. About 2,000 inmates were involved. An additional 1,000 inmates, housed in a separate facility, weren’t involved. Tear gas was reportedly used to bring the situation under control.

The incident forced the soft lockdown of three schools and the cancellation of sports practices and after-school activities.

In June 2014, the American Civil Liberties Union released a study that found inmates of these little-known prisons suffer from a lack of medical care. The report focused on five Texas prisons with the capacity to hold more than 10,000 immigrants. There are 13 such facilities in the country.

Prisoners interviewed by the ACLU complained of delayed medical care, guards using solitary confinement to punish those who are ill or who complained about squalid and cramped living conditions, and interference by prison officials with inmates trying to correspond with or meet with lawyers, the report says.

Last night, the U.S. Bureau of Prisons spokesman Ed Ross released a statement that the Willacy County Correctional Center in Raymondville is now "uninhabitable due to damage caused by the inmate population." As many as 2,800 inmates will be moved to other facilities one day after several hundred prisoners seized control of part of a federal prison in South Texas.

Refs:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Officers-working-to-resolve-riot-at-south-Texas-6092832.php
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20150221/us-prison-disturbance-texas/

RE: RETURN TO SENDER - Maggot - 02-23-2015

I wonder how many buses it would take to send them all to Guatemala.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - HairOfTheDog - 09-18-2015

THE 14TH AMENDMENT / BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP

So, Donald Trump wants to end birthright citizenship in the U.S. I wanted to understand the issue and legalities better.

From what I can ascertain, if he and other like-minded individuals want to end it, they will either need to succeed in getting (a) the 14th amendment to the Constitution amended/repealed, or (b) a legal decision that the amendment, as it stands, does not apply to illegal immigrants anyway.

[Image: timthumb.jpg]

The large majority of legal scholars and politicians interpret the amendment as applying to any person born on U.S. soil, regardless of the mother's residence status or citizenship of the parents. If their interpretation is correct, the Constitution would need to be amended again in order to cease birthright citizenship to children of illegal immigrants.

But, there are some credible legal and political professionals who argue that the Constitution was not intended to apply to illegal immigrants. Some of them contend that "under the jurisdiction of the United States" is vague and could rightly be interpreted as not applying to illegal immigrants or their U.S.-born children. So, in their opinions, birthright citizenship for babies born to illegal immigrants in the U.S. could be ceased by only a case being brought to court where the judge interprets the amendment and makes a ruling to that effect.

BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENS -- RELATED INFO

-Some people refer to the children of illegal or temporary residents of the U.S. as "anchor babies".

-There are about 300,000 (est) babies born to illegal immigrants and tourists in the U.S. each year. Babies born under such circumstances have been automatically and legally considered U.S. citizens since the passage of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

-30 out of 194 countries have provisions for birthright citizenship. No European country has birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants and over the past few decades, many countries that once did so — including Australia, Ireland, India, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Malta, and the Dominican Republic — have repealed those policies.

After reading up on it, I understand both sides of the legal debate more clearly.

I also understand why some people want to end birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants and others say "no way" -- from social/economic perspectives.

What do you think?

RE: RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - Blindgreed1 - 09-18-2015

(09-18-2015, 11:30 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENS -- RELATED INFO

-Some people refer to the children of illegal or temporary residents of the U.S. as "anchor babies".

-There are about 300,000 (est) babies born to illegal immigrants and tourists in the U.S. each year. Babies born under such circumstances have been automatically and legally considered U.S. citizens since the passage of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

-30 out of 194 countries have provisions for birthright citizenship. No European country has birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants and over the past few decades, many countries that once did so — including Australia, Ireland, India, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Malta, and the Dominican Republic — have repealed those policies.

After reading up on it, I understand both sides of the legal debate more clearly.

I also understand why some people want to end birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants and others say "no way" -- from social/economic perspectives.

What do you think?
I'm certain this will shock you, but I think the parents of an anchor baby should be required to obtain citizenship within 5 years of the birth in order to stay.

(09-18-2015, 11:54 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I'm certain this will shock you, but I think the parents of an anchor baby should be required to obtain citizenship within 5 years of the birth in order to stay.

That's an interesting idea.

I wish the knuckleheads in Congress would start working together on immigration reform, including a clear path to citizenship which would make something like what you're suggesting fair and feasible.

So, what about the babies Gunnar? If something like what you're suggesting is adopted, do you think the children should continue to be considered citizens upon birth, or do you think the children's citizenship should be tied to the mother's/parent's citizenship?

RE: RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - Jimbone - 09-18-2015

We could also put a big dent in the immigration problem by modifying or getting rid of the Hart-Celler act that exploded chain migration of extended families.

RE: RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - Maggot - 09-18-2015

If the law said from Jan 1st 2016 and after we will no longer have anchor babies the influx would become a flood until Jan 2nd then it would become a trickle.

(09-18-2015, 11:58 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 11:54 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I'm certain this will shock you, but I think the parents of an anchor baby should be required to obtain citizenship within 5 years of the birth in order to stay.

That's an interesting idea.

I wish the knuckleheads in Congress would start working together on immigration reform, including a clear path to citizenship which would make something like what you're suggesting fair and feasible.

So, what about the babies Gunnar? If something like what you're suggesting is adopted, do you think the children should continue to be considered citizens upon birth, or do you think the children's citizenship should be tied to the mother's/parent's citizenship?
The child was born on American soil. I think you'd have a hard time changing the child's citizenship without causing more confusion regarding citizenship and the 14th. However, that doesn't mean that the parents who failed to gain legal citizenship can't return to their native country with their American baby and seek dual citizenship for their American baby in their native country.

(09-18-2015, 12:09 PM)Jimbone Wrote: We could also put a big dent in the immigration problem by modifying or getting rid of the Hart-Celler act that exploded chain migration of extended families.

I don't think we have an immigration problem, personally. I think we have an illegal immigration problem and a policy problem.

I would like to see smart reform of the existing immigration policy, to include clear/reasonable paths to citizenship for qualified illegal immigrants already here, as well as for foreigners wishing to enter the country for permanent residence.

A reform package would need to include stricter monitoring and enforcement of illegal immigration laws as well, in my opinion. Hopefully, less people would need to sneak in if the legal path was better understood and efficient. And, those not willing to follow the updated laws or make the necessary commitments would be consistently dealt with according to new enforcement policies.

Anyway, I'm not knowledgeable about the Hart-Celler's impact on the immigration challenges we face today.

The Hart-Celler Act abolished the national origins quota system that was American immigration policy since the 1920s, replacing it with a preference system that focused on immigrants' skills and family relationships with citizens or U.S. residents. Numerical restrictions on visas were set at 170,000 per year, with a per-country-of-origin quota, not including immediate relatives of U.S. citizens or "special immigrants" (including those born in "independent" nations in the Western Hemisphere, former citizens, ministers, and employees of the U.S. government abroad)

What do you see as being problematic, Jimbone?

When I traveled abroad with the band in foreign countries, every time we got pulled over we were asked if we were American. Then we were immediately asked for our "papers" or passports. Were we being discriminated against in every gowdamn country we traveled to or is that just the way the rest of the world works? Our policy sucks.