Mock
EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA (/thread-11493.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Duchess - 10-08-2014

I can hardly believe the hospital sent that man home even after being told where he had just come from.

Cars, I agree with you.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - username - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 02:29 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Apparently there is no more anti-virus medicine. I could be misunderstanding this but it's my understanding they only had one or two doses and the missionary got one of them. Again, this is just my understanding and I may not have paid good enough attention to the story at the time but if that's true why in the world would they only have a couple doses of life saving medicine?

They tried a different experimental drug on Duncan but I think they just started it yesterday or the day before. He was probably too far gone at that point to say whether that drug would have helped him or not.

Why do they only have a couple of doses? Supply and demand. There was no demand in the US for that medication (and what, Africa's gonna buy it? Ha) until now. I heard the only people that were clamoring for it were the military and that was because they were concerned it might be used in some terrorist biological attack. They didn't have the funds (supposedly) because of the sequestration. So money. It always comes back to money.

I believe that the medic that is sick is also getting the same drug as Duncan received (not 100% sure about that--I know he's getting some experimental drug) and I also believe he's due to receive some blood transfusions from one of the doctors that recovered from the disease recently. His case was fortunately caught much earlier than Duncan's (and he's younger/healthier).

Of course now the question is why didn't Duncan get blood transfusions...I've heard it could be because there wasn't a match or because he was a black dude from Liberia and nobody cared about him anyway. Which is probably why Jesse Jackson is getting involved.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(10-08-2014, 02:29 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Apparently there is no more anti-virus medicine. I could be misunderstanding this but it's my understanding they only had one or two doses and the missionary got one of them. Again, this is just my understanding and I may not have paid good enough attention to the story at the time but if that's true why in the world would they only have a couple doses of life saving medicine?

They tried a different experimental drug on Duncan but I think they just started it yesterday or the day before. He was probably too far gone at that point to say whether that drug would have helped him or not.

Why do they only have a couple of doses? Supply and demand. There was no demand in the US for that medication (and what, Africa's gonna buy it? Ha) until now. I heard the only people that were clamoring for it were the military and that was because they were concerned it might be used in some terrorist biological attack. They didn't have the funds (supposedly) because of the sequestration. So money. It always comes back to money.

I believe that the medic that is sick is also getting the same drug as Duncan received (not 100% sure about that--I know he's getting some experimental drug) and I also believe he's due to receive some blood transfusions from one of the doctors that recovered from the disease recently. His case was fortunately caught much earlier than Duncan's (and he's younger/healthier).

Of course now the question is why didn't Duncan get blood transfusions...I've heard it could be because there wasn't a match or because he was a black dude from Liberia and nobody cared about him anyway. Which is probably why Jesse Jackson is getting involved.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I think I misspoke. It isn't a medic that they're treating; I think he's a photojournalist. ISIL/ISIS (whatever the hell you're calling it) threatened to behead an American next who was serving as a medic over there. I got my news stories combined.

Either way, beheading, bleeding from the eyes...they're both potentially fucked right now so at least they have something in common.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Duchess - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 05:28 PM)username Wrote: because he was a black dude from Liberia and nobody cared about him anyway.

I half-heartedly listened to an interview with his (I think) girlfriend & that's exactly what she is thinking. She was infuriated & expressing her anger to Anderson.

(10-08-2014, 06:25 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 05:28 PM)username Wrote: because he was a black dude from Liberia and nobody cared about him anyway.

I half-heartedly listened to an interview with his (I think) girlfriend & that's exactly what she is thinking. She was infuriated & expressing her anger to Anderson.

Of course she was. It always comes back to race when a black person is involved, right?

He was left to die because he lied his ass off on the form he signed before leaving Liberia. Oh wait, he didn't.

It's amazing how screwed up these stories become. It's pathetic that he was so wrongly accused before the facts were in. The media, the Liberian government, the U.S. government--EVERYBODY fucked that one up.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Maggot - 10-08-2014

I don't believe him being black had anything to do with it. Doctors are always clamoring over each other to get to a "human guinea pig" I think he was just to far gone.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Carsman - 10-09-2014

And so it begins to escalate!

This in today's news:

The United States may send nearly 4,000 troops to West Africa in the coming weeks in an effort to contribute relief in the fight against the Ebola virus outbreak in the region, according to the Pentagon.

With around 200 US military personnel already in the region, Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby announced earlier this week that the Department of Defense was planning on sending on sending 1,400 reinforcements to Liberia, of which around half will consist of combat engineers tasked with coordinating the construction of 17 Ebola treatment centers that will supply a total of 1,700 beds.

On Friday, Kirby updated that figure and said around 3,600 troops in all could be coming to West Africa.

"We project that there could be nearly 4,000 troops deployed in support of this mission but we are obviously assessing the requirements on a daily basis," Kirby said, according to Reuters.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Duchess - 10-09-2014

Christ on a cracker.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - HairOfTheDog - 10-09-2014

I'm glad to hear that the US will be helping to construct Ebola treatment centers in Liberia.

The hospitals and doctors there are way over capacity and most of the facilities aren't well-equipped to handle such a disease -- that's long been reported as one of the challenges in containing the spread of the disease.

Sorry to read that Duncan died. RIP. The Dallas nurse that sent him home with flu like symptoms, knowing that he'd just returned from west Africa, is an idiot. I think most any adult in the general public would know not to do that just by casually following the news.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Carsman - 10-09-2014

(10-09-2014, 09:04 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I'm glad to hear that the US will be helping to construct Ebola treatment centers in Liberia.

The hospitals and doctors there are way over capacity and most of the facilities aren't well-equipped to handle such a disease -- that's long been reported as one of the challenges in containing the spread of the disease.

Sorry to read that Duncan died. RIP. The Dallas nurse that sent him home with flu like symptoms, knowing that he'd just returned from west Africa, is an idiot. I think most any adult in the general public would know not to do that just by casually following the news.

Wonder how many of those unfortunate troops when eventually returning to USA will be infected/carrying the disease back with them. "4000" possible carriers, surely some number of them (hopefully not) will be carriers. Gotta be a lot of unhappy campers!

(10-09-2014, 09:34 AM)Carsman Wrote: Wonder how many of those unfortunate troops when eventually returning to USA will be infected/carrying the disease back with them. "4000" possible carriers, surely some number of them (hopefully not) will be carriers. Gotta be a lot of unhappy campers!

Hopefully, none.

The military could, for example, release the troops in stages and require them to spend say two weeks at a contained base before coming back.

No symptoms, no Ebola, see you back home and thank you for your service.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Maggot - 10-09-2014

If I was in the service now I would be freaking out if I was deployed there. Imagine the wives and families of them boys and their thoughts. I would not feel like I was doing anything patriotic.

(10-09-2014, 10:09 AM)Maggot Wrote: I would not feel like I was doing anything patriotic.

Why not, Maggot?

To me, it's like deploying enlisted US troops to other countries to protect the citizens there from a human threat in their homeland.

Helping to minimize the threat of death to Liberians from Ebola is a similar mission, except there will be less chance of the US troops having to shoot and kill people to survive the mission.

I don't think we'd be sending troops there, however, if it weren't for the threat of Ebola killing more Americans in America. It's not a purely humanitarian mission.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Maggot - 10-09-2014

(10-01-2014, 03:51 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Mags, I'm not sure about the validity of that article you posted from The Examiner.

Here's a related story about the virus and those afflicted.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/01/health/enterovirus-68-death/index.html?hpt=us_c2

In my opinion, there's no evidence of a link beween immigrant children and the infection just because a couple of the states that have experienced cases also happen to house immigrant children. I'm not saying that there couldn't be such a link but that's far from a given at this point, as far as I can see.

Still looking into this. I found this today;

A 2013 Defense Department study conducted in Central and South America on patients with flu-like illness, did identify EV-D68 in some of the test subjects. All 3,375 test subjects were age 25 or under.

The CDC now reports that cases of EV-D68 have been seen in 43 states as well as the District of Columbia. However, unofficially, the virus which has left many children with permanent breathing problems and limb paralysis, has also taken the life of four U.S. children, since mid-August.

On Sept. 25, 4-year-old Eli Waller died in his sleep at his home in Hamilton, NJ.

link

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - blueberryhill - 10-09-2014

I read also, that Duncan was receiving experimental drug, but was too late for the blood transfusion.. I agree that the hospital made mistake, but they do things like that, send patients home when, in fact, they should have been admitted. But with that being acknowledged, I am reading that he signed airline form which stated he had not been exposed to Ebola (User did u say that wasn't true). At any rate, he knows he needs medical care so he is upfront with Nurse about it and she sends him home. It is already too late (IMO). There is shortage of drug and when used on medical personnel it becomes less of a liability than using it on private citizen (of Africa). I believe that this person knew he was exposing a lot of people to this virus and time will tell, how many will die from it. Guess his sister wants hospital investigated...think hospital will investigate itself over mistake Nurse made, but I think Mr. Duncan needs investigating also to determine intent to harm others. No, this is not racial. Think for a minute about all the medical personnel who have gone to Africa to help control and treat this disease. They should receive priority treatment, not someone who knowingly had been exposed and still flew to Dallas via Brussels.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - ZEROSPHERES - 10-09-2014

[Image: palin.jpg]

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Maggot - 10-10-2014

hah

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - Duchess - 10-10-2014

I can totally see her saying something like that. She's a dingbat.

RE: EBOLA IS IN AMERICA - username - 10-10-2014

(10-09-2014, 07:45 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: I am reading that he signed airline form which stated he had not been exposed to Ebola (User did u say that wasn't true). They should receive priority treatment, not someone who knowingly had been exposed and still flew to Dallas via Brussels.

Yeah. Within the last 5 days or so they discovered that he would not have known that the pregnant woman was suffering from Ebola. It was only days (or weeks) after her death that anyone concluded she had died from the disease and not complications from her pregnancy.

They (whoever "they" are..., the media, government etc.) have concluded that he didn't lie on the form.

Of course that hasn't been as widely or loudly reported as the initial version that he did lie. Assholes.