Mock
Kitchen Remodel - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Funny Shit & Good Shit (https://mockforums.net/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: SOUP CHICKEN KITCHEN (https://mockforums.net/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Kitchen Remodel (/thread-11532.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Kitchen Remodel - sally - 10-29-2014

Do you already have a gas range or would you have to put in a gas line? Your husband is really going to start rolling his eyes if that's the case.

RE: Kitchen Remodel - username - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 12:33 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: This is similar to my friend's kitchen in Prescott. It's really functional and comfortable. I like the look a lot, too

[Image: InDesign-Blog-Post-Family-Friendly-Kitchen.jpg]

Wish I had the floor space that you and she have, user. You've got a lot of great options.

That's purty! Yeah, I think all of you (even Ramsey!) are right. That "table" coming off the counter just looks like an eye sore. I'd rather have just 3 seats in the kitchen (a regular bar arrangement) and make my dining room nice and comfy.

Well shit. I just had a 2 minute conversation with my husband and he doesn't give a flying fuck about guests and whether or not they lean on the counter. He wants the damn kitchen to be comfortable for the 4 of us day in and day out and screw the guests and their stupid bar chairs.

I hate it when he makes sense. We don't entertain that often but we're here all.the.time.

Back to the drawing board. 52

Okay, listen up! If you go back to one of her drawings, she showed an L-shaped built in seating option. I don't really like the L shape--seems too 70's BUT I could put some seating under our window like this and stick a table in there like shown (I think). What do we Mockers think of that idea? Unlike in THIS picture, to the right of that seating--if you're sitting on the bench--would be the back of my cabinets/counter (which doesn't bother me but in the interests of full disclosure...). You'll have to go back to her plans to see what I mean.

[Image: kitch3_zpsb71c1ace.jpg]

RE: Kitchen Remodel - ramseycat - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 12:33 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: This is similar to my friend's kitchen in Prescott. It's really functional and comfortable. I like the look a lot, too

[Image: InDesign-Blog-Post-Family-Friendly-Kitchen.jpg]

Wish I had the floor space that you and she have, user. You've got a lot of great options.

THAT is a beautiful kitchen. I'd like to get rid of the guest suite off my kitchen and make it bigger. We don't need the guest suite. But I don't have money for a job like that.

I looked at your kitchen again and I think I like the built in L shape breakfast nook the best. That wall with the white cabinets that divides your living room and kitchen, I suppose that's a supporting wall and couldn't be taken out entirely?

(10-29-2014, 02:13 PM)sally Wrote: I looked at your kitchen again and I think I like the built in L shape breakfast nook the best. That wall with the white cabinets that divides your living room and kitchen, I suppose that's a supporting wall and couldn't be taken out entirely?

Thank you! I'm obviously going 'round and 'round with this but for our comfort, it looks like the best arrangement. I don't entertain often enough to build a kitchen for stupid guests. If they insist on counter leaning instead of taking advantage of the new seating, fuck them.

I need to get that wall looked at. We are pretty sure it's a support beam but I don't know if I can get rid of the column that comes down from it. Either way those white cabinets are going to get demolished and either there will be much shorter cabinets in there (with a book case on the family room side) and/or she said she could design a nice computer/work area there. Hopefully the post can get removed. We could at least cover the beam with wood or something so it's not so fugly.

RE: Kitchen Remodel - Duchess - 10-29-2014

Columns can be decorative, they don't have to be obtrusive. There are many attractive designs to choose from. They don't have to be boxy. I don't like straight lines, I don't think they are welcoming or comfortable but that's just me.

RE: Kitchen Remodel - Duchess - 10-29-2014

Some examples -

[Image: morris_whitekitchen_lg.jpg]

[Image: b9cd1620bea5fe300571e49ef7fada06.jpg]

[Image: kitchen4.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2240_2.jpg]

(10-24-2014, 06:52 PM)username Wrote: [Image: IMG_0321_zps65edd5a5.jpg]

You could also make the counter longer across the window side. Then the part that is right in the way behind your fridge would go out further and caddy cornered right into in the decorative support beam like in the 3rd picture Duchess posted. The barstools would go behind that. It would make it a lot more open and give a better flow from the living room to kitchen.

So duh, I just saw it's basically the #2 sketch you posted. I think I like that better actually.

Thanks Duchess and Sally. I really appreciate your thoughts. I could absolutely live with a column that looked like one of those. The last one looks exactly like what my beams and posts could look like. Right now it's intended to be a (fugly) bar but it's so far away from me/cooking that no one ever used the bar stools that we had there (they were on the family room side--facing in to the kitchen). Guests would have had to shout across the kitchen table and in to the cooking area so conversation from there was impossible. Dumb mistake.

I think the bottom line is, I can have a bar and stool eating area OR I can have a table area but I don't *think* I can have both. Maybe if we ditch the plans for a computer work space we can work something out behind/to the right of the bar stools in the drawing below. Hmmmmm....worth looking at. We have a guest room for an office PLUS we still have our mostly unused dining room--I could create some type of work space in there. We don't need a lot--my husband keeps most of his shit at his regular office. This is getting better!! Thanks again!

[Image: IMG_0361_zps041d68d8.jpg]

Gawd. I'm an idiot. It just occurred to me that if we keep it U shaped (but bigger) I should be able to have a bar and table pretty easily. Not having that counter jut out at an angle and getting rid of the white, monstrous cabinets should make that entirely do-able. Smiley_emoticons_slash

Then you could still keep the L shaped built in seating nook except switch it the other way so it replaces the white cabinet divider. You'd still have the beam on the side but you could just blend that in with the seating.

(10-29-2014, 07:26 PM)sally Wrote: Then you could still keep the L shaped built in seating nook except switch it the other way so it replaces the white cabinet divider. You'd still have the beam on the side but you could just blend that in with the seating.

I'm not sure if I'd do the L-shape (although that means the seating would dead end in to something. Maybe the back of a low, built in book case or shelves for the family room? The L shape seems kinda 70's but I like this "nook look", and our nook would be right under a window as well:

[Image: kitch3_zps6088b28c.jpg]

I just sent her this plan and asked if it was possible given the space we have. The counter becomes a counter/bar combo, and we create a nook and table with a few chairs. I don't know, maybe I need to get over my aversion to the L shape. It makes sense but I hate being the person in the middle having to scoot around the sides and shit to get out.

[Image: kitch4_zps3cc9adf8.jpg]

RE: Kitchen Remodel - username - 11-01-2014

I can do the plan above AND have a bar and table seating. I noticed that she cut off the seating before she reached the beam/end of my existing kitchen which adds another 31". I'll have to move (or more likely enlarge) our existing window (I'm going to make it purty) so it's centered over the bench seating but if I get rid of the white cabinetry and go all the way to the beam...I've got the space!!

RE: Kitchen Remodel - Duchess - 11-01-2014

Every time I see "Commando Cunt Queen" the theme song from Batman starts playing in my head. Na Na Na Na Na Cunt Queen!28

RE: Kitchen Remodel - username - 11-01-2014

hah

My husband isn't thrilled with the built in seating in that picture above but I like it. Think of the storage I can get from that fucker too!

RE: Kitchen Remodel - Duchess - 12-02-2014

This sure came to a standstill :(

RE: Kitchen Remodel - username - 12-02-2014

Yes it has. I'm supposed to be out looking at counters and cabinets but I've been a little busy flying all over the fucking country. hah

I'll probably wait and pick it back up after the holidays.

RE: Kitchen Remodel - Duchess - 12-02-2014

I understand you have priorities and I'm looking forward to seeing the choices you make. I get impatient and want it all...now. 78