Mock
Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread (/thread-11588.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - HairOfTheDog - 04-07-2016

(04-07-2016, 06:17 AM)Maggot Wrote: He didn't have a ton of hit songs but his influence is everywhere. He had an amazing life. I had just read in the morning paper it was his birthday and was thinking "He's still alive?"
And you could use the spare bedroom.

That's nice, but it kinda takes the Merleness outta the story. Actually, I probably did that by diluting the whiskey with iced coffee.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Maggot - 04-07-2016

(04-07-2016, 06:54 AM)FAHQTOO Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 06:17 AM)Maggot Wrote: He didn't have a ton of hit songs but his influence is everywhere. He had an amazing life. I had just read in the morning paper it was his birthday and was thinking "He's still alive?"

That would be incorrect...Merle had 38 #1 hits and won a ton of awards to go with them.
His son is saying he predicted he would die on his birthday.
Most of the big guns are gone when it comes to country music...you can't call the crap coming out of Nashville country music anymore.
Willy might possibly live to be 100...probably because of all the weed.

RIP Merle. You will truly be missed.

I remember an Oke from Muskogee and I know he wrote a bunch that became #1 but with other people singing it. Now have to check. I will have to toss an album on.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Blindgreed1 - 04-07-2016

(04-07-2016, 06:54 AM)FAHQTOO Wrote:

That would be incorrect...Merle had 38 #1 hits and won a ton of awards to go with them.
His son is saying he predicted he would die on his birthday.
Most of the big guns are gone when it comes to country music...you can't call the crap coming out of Nashville country music anymore.
Willy might possibly live to be 100...probably because of all the weed.

RIP Merle. You will truly be missed.
Yeah he had WAY more than a few.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - HairOfTheDog - 04-09-2016

Last night's 31st Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction...

Chicago was inducted by Rob Thomas (who also did vocals during the live performance because Peter Cetera declined to attend, due to a song set dispute or some such shit).

Deep Purple was inducted by Lars Ulrich, but Ritchie Blackmore didn't attend the ceremony because he doesn't do self-congratulatory awards stuff (according to a video interview I watched with him a couple of months ago). The band played Highway Star, Hush and Smoke on The Water with the current band members. David Coverdale was inducted with the band, but only the current line-up performed the set.

Cheap Trick was inducted by Kid Rock. ^ All the original Cheap Trick band members performed together, despite there being some litigation between the band and original drummer Bun E. I love Cheap Trick -- they still sound great.

^ Steve Miller was inducted by the Black Keys. He's still such a great player and vocalist too. After his performance, the space cowboy chided the Hall for not inducting more women, not being more open with the public, and not being active enough in pushing music in schools.

N.W.A.was inducted by Kendrick Lamar and essentially told Gene Simmons to piss off during their induction speech. Simmons suggested in an interview that N.W.A. didn't belong in the "rock and roll" hall of fame. BUT, N.W.A. didn't perform because they didn't think it was the right setting or something like that (apparently missing the irony). They shoulda played and shown why they belonged there, in my opinion.

David Byrne and The Roots started the show with 'Fame' in tribute to David Bowie, and Cheryl Crow and Grace Potter performed 'New Kid in Town' in tribute to Glenn Frey.

Recaps and performances: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/category/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Duchess - 04-10-2016

(04-09-2016, 10:51 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Peter Cetera declined to attend, due to a song set dispute or some such shit).

That sounds petty when one is being honored in such a manner.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Donovan - 04-10-2016

Peter Cetera is a notorious twat. I frigging hate Chicago and have no idea why. It just sets my teeth on edge. Maybe it's that pretentious jazz fusion sound, I'm not huge on Steely Dan either and they do the same kind of sound.

Overall I'm not very impressed with the induction class this year, there are tons of fantastic bands still not in the hall. And apparently Steve Miller isn't impressed either. Check out what he had to say after his induction, backstage. Apparently he let loose, and when the rock hall rep tried to cut him off he told the dude to sit down, shut up and maybe learn something.

Now that's rock and roll.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Maggot - 04-10-2016

I'm surprised BLM didn't protest the show.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - HairOfTheDog - 04-10-2016

I think I have horny ears.

I love the sax, trombone and trumpet -- and the lyrics and vocals (especially Lamm's on Beginnings) -- on the debut Chicago Transit Authority album and other early releases. Terry Kath on guitar was effin' magic and Chicago's drummer kicks ass too.

I still sometimes listen to that album. Bunch of great college musicians, stoners, and political activists making "rock and roll music with horns."

(^ Peter Cetera in the plaid shirt, haha.)

I don't own anything by Chicago after Cetera took the central role and the band relegated or dropped the horns. They had a lot of commercial success with the ballad format though and did it well, just wasn't something I'd wanna hear outside the occasional radio play.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Duchess - 04-10-2016

Heh. Horny ears.

Terry Kath was called the white Ray Charles. When I heard that I noticed it more often than not.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - sally - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 10:17 AM)Donovan Wrote: I frigging hate Chicago and have no idea why. It just sets my teeth on edge. Maybe it's that pretentious jazz fusion sound, I'm not huge on Steely Dan either and they do the same kind of sound.

I don't like Chicago or Steely Dan either. It's annoying to my ears and I rather turn it off and just listen to silence.

The Doobie Brothers are another one that annoys the shit out of me.

(04-10-2016, 01:36 PM)Maggot Wrote: Terry Kath was called the white Ray Charles. When I heard that I noticed it more often than not.

He was great on back-up or lead vocals and guitar. I always thought he committed suicide, but recently read he accidentally shot himself when he was fucking around cleaning his gun. After that, Cetera kinda took over as the leader of the band and the sound went in a very different direction.

Anyway, Kath's solo on 25 or 6 to 4 is awesome. Jimi Hendrix was reportedly a fan.

There's not a lot of music that annoys me though; I usually enjoy whatever anybody puts on (except techno stuff, that I just tolerate for the most part).

The list of music that annoys me is longer than the list that I enjoy. But I can always find something in every style of music that sounds good to my ears, even techno which is the fucking worst.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Midwest Spy - 04-10-2016

Beginnings, Call On Me, Old Days & Feelin Stonger Every Day are my 4 favorites.

(04-10-2016, 04:59 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Beginnings, Call On Me, Old Days & Feelin Stonger Every Day are my 4 favorites.

Here you go, MS. I like Cetera's vocals on this one; I think he wrote the song too.

I can see the thing that Sally sees in the techno crap but after an hour of it I imagine myself as a Bevis cartoon character banging my head up and down like an idiot and dancing like a jiggaboo at a cannibal soup party half dressed and sweaty snorting coke like an elephant.

I'm liking this right now. My husband plays it a lot and one thing we are compatible with is music.

This one too

I like Arctic Monkeys a lot, especially their smooth slower stuff. I think Alex Turner and the band sound even better live.

RE: Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread - Blindgreed1 - 04-11-2016

Vince Neil vs. Nick Cage. Both appear to be wasted, and Vince is looking at a battery charge against the woman he dragged to the ground by her hair. This one didn't stay in Vegas.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/08/nicolas-cage-vince-neil-fight-vegas/