Mock
POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE (/thread-11806.html)

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Cynical Ninja - 04-23-2015

Dem niggers is scary.

Apparently.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 04-23-2015

Interesting.

CBS News learned that in 2009, the Tulsa Sheriff's Office launched an internal investigation to find out if Bates received special treatment during training and while working as a reserve deputy. They also investigated whether supervisors pressured training officers on Bates' behalf.

The investigation concluded Bates' training was questionable and that he was given preferential treatment.
The investigation found that deputies voiced concerns about Bates' behavior in the field, almost from the very beginning. Bates reportedly used his personal car while on duty and made unauthorized vehicle stops. When confronted Bates said that he could do what he wanted, and that anyone who had a problem with him should go see the sheriff.

The investigation concluded that high ranking officers created an atmosphere where employees were intimidated in order to violate department policy.

Dan Smolen, the attorney for Eric Harris, says if the findings had been acted on in 2009 Harris might still be alive.

"I think there are so many people who look on at so much corruption it's more than just a couple of people," said Smolen.

A spokesman for the Tulsa Sheriff acknowledged that some type of internal review was conducted, but that there was no further action taken. Sheriff Stanley Glanz said this week he believes Bates received his required training.

Story

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 04-24-2015

(04-21-2015, 02:03 PM)username Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 01:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: "Severed", in this case, likely refers to disconnected or detached.

The neck can be internally severed from the spinal cord as a result of car accident impact, forced trauma, etc...

Okay. *barfs* I'm kind of sorry I asked but "severed" in that definition...it doesn't explain what happened but I can wrap my head around that (pun intended) more easily than cut.

Doesn't sound like the guy had a very good head on his shoulders to begin with. Smiley_emoticons_slash

I didn't think the initial arrest of Freddie Gray was brutal. He was not happy and did not want to be taken in to custody. A few cops held him while he was cuffed. That, to me, is not a problem.

Why he was pursued and arrested in the first place bothers me though. Gray was at a housing complex when a patrolman made eye contact with him and he ran. He wasn't in the commission of a crime. He just ran. He was pursued and caught. The patrolman found a knife on Gray and arrested him. The Baltimore PD Union head says that there's an exception to the probable cause requirement in high-crime areas. In such areas, cops are allowed to pursue and arrest citizens without probable cause. That's what happened to Freddie Gray and probably what he was trying to avoid when he decided to split.

Anyway, the police union head announced yesterday that cops did not secure Gray in a seat belt when they tossed him into the back of the paddy-wagon with his hands cuffed behind his back and lying facing down. Another suspect who was in same van reportedly told police that Gray was writhing and kicking en-route to the police station and that cops didn't assault him in the van or anything. Instead, they pulled over and put leg cuffs on him. In the bystander video of that stop, it seems to me that Gray is not well. But, he was tossed back in the van - now cuffed at the hands and legs, face down, without a seat belt. And, off goes the van again.

It's a practice within some police forces to drive particularly fast and roughly when they have what they consider a combative person in the back of the van. Ten years ago, a man in Baltimore was cuffed and tossed in a van for public urination. He was given such a ride with no seat belt. The high impact bumping, bouncing and slamming against the van surfaces severed the man's spine. He died.

In Philly, eight years ago, two suspects were permanently paralyzed under the same circumstances.

Investigators are said to be looking into whether the cops gave Freddie Gray, who was already out of breath and asking for an inhaler, what's known as a "nickel ride" as well.

Ref: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/23/freddie-gray-handcuffed-seat-belt_n_7129308.html

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Maggot - 04-24-2015

don't make the black kids angry

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 09:47 AM)Maggot Wrote: don't make the black kids angry

Some white kids and adults, those with a moral compass and a desire for justice, are angered by unwarranted deaths too.

People who value life equally want answers as to how a healthy guy who was arrested without probable cause ended up dying of a severed spine; a fatal injury he incurred while in police custody.

But, don't make the white middle-aged gusano take his blinders off.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 04-24-2015

Sandtown is notorious for cops hassling the blacks. You'll have noticed that simply making eye contact is enough to get your ass arrested, that's all the probable cause they need. It's fuckin' ridiculous. You never hear any good stories about LE coming out of there, never. Blacks have good reason to go in the opposite direction when they see the cops there. I don't fault them at all for doing that.

Sometimes I just say fuck it, 1 person in the country got jacked by another and they are both wrong in one aspect or another. Life is tough and if you lay with dogs you get fleas. Stir shit

Sure thing, Mags.

Clearly, you don't give a fuck at all and it doesn't bother you that other people do. Or, you're just stirring shit for fun.

In either case, you just know there were two wrongs here and that there were dogs with fleas lying around.

Still, I think I'll wait to see what the people who were actually involved and the separate investigations reveal -- just in case your absolute preconceived notions in all of these types of cases aren't as reliable as reality.

In the meantime......enjoying the speculation from you and everybody else.

I know, I know but all this crap is getting on my nerves. There's 10 cases of police abuse for every 1000 of criminal abuse if not more. The spotlight is on and the roaches are coming out of the woodwork. I agree the cops are assholes sometimes and they are lazy mostly but this shit has been happening for ages, why all of a sudden is it in the crosshairs of the media? is it all racial?

(04-24-2015, 11:43 AM)Maggot Wrote: I know, I know but all this crap is getting on my nerves. There's 10 cases of police abuse for every 1000 of criminal abuse if not more. The spotlight is on and the roaches are coming out of the woodwork. I agree the cops are assholes sometimes and they are lazy mostly but this shit has been happening for ages, why all of a sudden is it in the crosshairs of the media? is it all racial?

Neither you nor I know how many cases of police abuse occur per 1,000 interfaces -- I don't think anybody does.

I don't know if it's happening more frequently, but certainly there are more videos and cameras around capturing some of it when it does go down. That raises public awareness of the problem and makes it much harder for police to lie about it, blame the victims, and keep doing it.

At any rate, police have a lot of leeway to use necessary force when making arrests. There should not be cops unloading their weapons into the backs of non-threatening citizens and lying about it. There should not be cops shooting subdued suspects to death because they don't know their tasers from their pistols. There should not be groups of cops taking turns kicking and beating the shit out of restrained homeless persons and horse thieves. And, so on.

So, I think it's a good thing that such police brutality is being exposed, protested and covered by the media. As a result, more cops are wearing body cams and will be required to have them turned on at all times. Pilot programs show that incidents of alleged and proven police brutality are significantly reduced when body cams are required. Positive change.

Also, increased public awareness and pressure for outside investigations has led to some police departments with terrible training/management processes and high incidents of brutality being mandated to make long-overdue improvements. Positive change.

Yeah, sometimes individuals, groups, and media present the brutality as being motivated by racial discrimination when there's no proof to support that contention. But, there's no proof of what was in the officer's mind when he/she felt motivated or entitled to kill or assault the person with no reasonable cause whatsoever, unless the officer admits intentional wrong-doing and explains it (which rarely happens). So, I consider all possible motives as being on the table during investigations and speculations.

At any rate, I don't think police officers illegally killing and assaulting any individuals should be condoned, in any numbers. Pretending like it's not a problem or allowing it to continue being swept under the rug is enabling it and that's some lazy bullshit, IMO.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Midwest Spy - 04-24-2015

Back in the old days, a horse thief had a rope waiting for him.

Nowadays, you just gotta take a little asswhoopin', and honestly, the picture of that guy when it was all over didn't really look all that bad.

Hell, I'd trade that 'beating' for $650K any day of the week.

It was the police who delivered the beating. Why is it impossible for you to grasp how very wrong that is?

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Midwest Spy - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 04:20 PM)Duchess Wrote:

It was the police who delivered the beating. Why is it impossible for you to grasp how very wrong that is?

I'm never gonna grasp it, so why don't you focus your attention elsewhere.

You can be an agent of change.

Just not with me.

You're a fucked up individual with a warped sense of right & wrong. I guess you'll fuck up your kids given they'll be raised in your image. You done breeding?

(04-24-2015, 04:10 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Back in the old days, a horse thief had a rope waiting for him.

Nowadays, you just gotta take a little asswhoopin', and honestly, the picture of that guy when it was all over didn't really look all that bad.

Hell, I'd trade that 'beating' for $650K any day of the week.

Well..................Cars are todays horses. I would call the KIA a Donkey though.

You are hilarious, Duchess.

Hope my kids aren't criminals, but if they are, and they've decided to do wrong, they better be ready for whatever's coming their way.

I'm glad that you see yourself as completely different from me.

Your values and mine aren't even close.

If you thought they were I'd be in serious trouble.

Maybe the Perp forgot to put on his seatbelt. Prison Wait, that was the other guy.

(04-24-2015, 04:29 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Your values and mine aren't even close.

What do you know about my values? That I hold LE to a higher standard than a thug? Get off your high horse, you believe you and yours are more valuable than those who have much less than you do, you're not.

(04-24-2015, 04:35 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 04:29 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Your values and mine aren't even close.

What do you know about my values? That I hold LE to a higher standard than a thug? Get off your high horse, you believe you and yours are more valuable than those who have much less than you do, you're not.

What is this high horse you speak of?

I've said it numerous times...

I DONT FEEL SORRY FOR CRIMINALS WHO GET THEIR ASS BEAT.

If someone is a law-abiding citizen, gets pulled over while driving, is then dragged from their car and gets beaten, tased or killed, for no apparent reason, I will be the first person to join the marches of protest.

Until then, I DONT FEEL SORRY FOR CRIMINALS.

CAPS are for the hearing impaired, geriatric crowd.

Read my font slowly...this is not about the thugs. Holy fuck. Why can't you grasp the simple concept that the police are not above the law. They are to be held to a higher standard than common thug behavior.