Mock
POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE (/thread-11806.html)

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Jimbone - 04-28-2015

Yes, once again it's the ultra conservative boogy men twisting someones words. And all the kids and rioters were certainly listening and reading ultra conservative things to make sure they got the twisted message from their mayor.

hah

ETA: Quoting and posting an article from a liberal hitman is hardly objective BTW. Dave Weigel has to resign from the Washington Post because he belonged to Ezra Klein's JournoList group (which was a liberal only, online group for journalists).

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Maggot - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 10:38 AM)Jimbone Wrote: Yes, once again it's the ultra conservative boogy men twisting someones words. And all the kids and rioters were certainly listening and reading ultra conservative things to make sure they got the twisted message from their mayor.

hah

No shit! Again reality is not real and time is not time when things go amuck and words do not mean what the mean .........you have entered ..........the Maggot zone.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 04-28-2015

Nobody said that the rioters pulled their violent dipshittery as a result of conservatives twisting the mayor's words, Jimbone and Maggot.

But, it sounds like you're saying that the rioters pulled their violent dipshittery as a result of the mayor's words, which I personally think is equally ludicrous.

I think the riots occurred because thugs had an opportunity and they took it. They would have done so, like so often happens during protests, regardless of the mayor's statement and how one chooses to interpret it.

I understood her meaning to be consistent with the clarification issued yesterday when I first heard her make the statement at her press conference this weekend and didn't realize how poorly it was worded until I saw it in print and out of context.

But, I understand that others believe she was actually green-lighting violence and riots, though that contradicts all of her previous and subsequent pleas for peace.

In either case, the mayor neither encouraged nor condoned the riots, in my opinion.

This is what it is........a shit ton of nice black people saw a chance to get free stuff and decided they would grab it before someone else did. The opportunity that presented itself was not wasted. How can you blame them?

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 10:38 AM)Jimbone Wrote: ETA: Quoting and posting an article from a liberal hitman is hardly objective BTW. Dave Weigel has to resign from the Washington Post because he belonged to Ezra Klein's JournoList group (which was a liberal only, online group for journalists).

It was a source that had quotes from several pundits, along with the video (you posted it separately while I was commenting) in one place.

The quotes by pundits quoted therein are accurate to the best of my knowledge, and the video of Rawlings making the statement in context is authentic, so it's a suitable efficient source and there's no question of "objectivity" here.

The mayor is getting heat for not requesting heavy police reinforcement in advance and underestimating the volatility as well. There's also criticism of the city's decision to close schools today. I don't know if those criticisms are valid or not, could be. I think she must really be in a tricky spot trying to respect opposition while trying to restrict violence.

Here's a source for that criticism: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/in-baltimore-a-political-test-for-a-mayor--and-a-new-governor/2015/04/28/be3233c4-ed4d-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html

I simply did not interpret the mayor's words the way they've been interpreted by others and never said anyone "twisted' them.

(04-28-2015, 10:48 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Nobody said that the rioters pulled their violent dipshittery as a result of conservatives twisting the mayor's words, Jimbone and Maggot.

But, it sounds like you're saying that the rioters pulled their violent dipshittery as a result of the mayor's words, which I personally think is equally ludicrous.

I think the riots occurred because thugs had an opportunity and they took it. They would have done so, like so often happens during protests, regardless of the mayor's statement and how one chooses to interpret it.

I understood her meaning to be consistent with the clarification issued yesterday when I first heard her make the statement at her press conference this weekend and didn't realize how poorly it was worded until I saw it in print and out of context.

But, I understand that others believe she was actually green-lighting violence and riots, though that contradicts all of her previous and subsequent pleas for peace.

In either case, the mayor neither encouraged nor condoned the riots, in my opinion.

No, you said she was taken out of context. She wasn't. She was hammered by ALL media for a terribly worded statement during a volatile situation. It wasn't just conservatives (who of course had a field day), it was universal.

I'm not saying her words started the riots - knuckleheads were screwing around before she said anything.

But her words - and actions - certainly gave space to those who want to be opportunistic, and they took that space.

The City of Baltimore is handling this terribly. And unfortunately for her, she's responsible for that...

(04-28-2015, 10:52 AM)Maggot Wrote: This is what it is........a shit ton of nice black people saw a chance to get free stuff and decided they would grab it before someone else did. The opportunity that presented itself was not wasted. How can you blame them?

I think you really are in a mental Twilight Zone, Mags.

No one said "nice" people just grabbed stuff -- nobody but you.

I haven't seen anybody refer to the rioters as anything but thugs, including the mayor.

Do you really think that the mayor's press conference on Saturday caused the riots? Riots sometimes happen when thugs take the opportunity to hijack a peaceful protests, we've seen it many times before.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 04-28-2015

So she's taking some heat for closing schools. Jesus. You know goddamn well had she left them open she'd be taking heat for that as well as people saying she didn't care about the safety of the children. No matter what she does, there will be those who find fault with it. Count on it.

(04-28-2015, 11:04 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: It was a source that had quotes from several pundits, along with the video (you posted it separately while I was commenting) in one place.

The quotes by pundits quoted therein are accurate to the best of my knowledge, and the video of Rawlings making the statement in context is authentic, so it's a suitable efficient source and there's no question of "objectivity" here.

The mayor is getting heat for not requesting heavy police reinforcement in advance and underestimating the volatility as well. There's also criticism of the city's decision to close schools today. I don't know if those criticisms are valid or not, could be. I think she must really be in a tricky spot trying to respect opposition while trying to restrict violence.

Here's a source for that criticism: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/in-baltimore-a-political-test-for-a-mayor--and-a-new-governor/2015/04/28/be3233c4-ed4d-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html

I simply did not interpret the mayor's words the way they've been interpreted by others and never said anyone "twisted' them.

Fair enough, it just seemed that you were laying the responsibility for her statement being taken out of context on conservatives, using an anti-conservative columnist as the source.

I appreciate the clarification.

(04-28-2015, 11:08 AM)Jimbone Wrote: No, you said she was taken out of context. She wasn't. She was hammered by ALL media for a terribly worded statement during a volatile situation. It wasn't just conservatives (who of course had a field day), it was universal.

I'm not saying her words started the riots - knuckleheads were screwing around before she said anything.

But her words - and actions - certainly gave space to those who want to be opportunistic, and they took that space.

The City of Baltimore is handling this terribly. And unfortunately for her, she's responsible for that...

Taking something out of context is not "twisting words", Jimbone.

As I said, if you look only at the one quote in print, it's easy to see how it could be interpreted differently than it was meant, without twisting the isolated words.

I heard the press conference and the quote in context, and I didn't interpret it as it has been portrayed by some of the ultra conservative pundits. I'll trust you that it's been universally interpreted the way you claim across the board as well - I haven't seen everything written about it.

ETA: Sorry, posting at the same time, Jimbone.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Blindgreed1 - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 11:10 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 10:52 AM)Maggot Wrote: This is what it is........a shit ton of nice black people saw a chance to get free stuff and decided they would grab it before someone else did. The opportunity that presented itself was not wasted. How can you blame them?

I haven't seen anybody refer to the rioters as anything but thugs, including the mayor.

Do you really think that the mayor's press conference on Saturday caused the riots? Riots sometimes happen when thugs take the opportunity to hijack a peaceful protests, we've seen it many times before.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - FAHQTOO - 04-28-2015

She said what she said and she needs to be held accountable for it.
For Christ sake...STOP making excuses for these dumb asses. She has zero speaking skills to be found, she sounds like a thug herself, including the whole city council.

Well, I interpreted it as I interpreted it this weekend, and you can hold me accountable for posting as much.

I don't have a problem with anyone holding her accountable for a poorly worded statement, though I don't agree that she sounds like a thug herself. Difference of opinion.

What I'm trying to understand is if it's being insinuated here that the mayor should be held accountable for the riots directly because of a poorly worded statement. I don't think that's the case, personally. I think those rioters would have struck regardless of the press conference or that statement.

Could she have done other things differently to minimize or avoid giving rioters an opportunity to destroy parts of the city? Probably so. She failed to achieve the balance she was seeking. I don't envy her position.

(04-28-2015, 11:10 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

Whoa Nelly........I don't recall anyone saying its her fault. The "Thugs" I saw looting were Kids throwing rocks, Fat black ladies running out de stowe with doritoes and beer, chubby black guys with toilet paper and a bunch of teenagers jiving on top o de cars and smiling.
Are you saying they are all thugs?

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 04-28-2015

I'd say anyone who participated in the chaos is a thug.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Midwest Spy - 04-28-2015

People keep referring to thugs hijacking the peaceful protest.

I'd like to know, where are the peaceful protesters? Are there pics of them peacefully demonstrating, and then a huge mob comes and takes over? Or is it in fact, a mob from the get go?

Just asking.

(04-28-2015, 11:28 AM)Maggot Wrote: Are you saying they are all thugs?

Yes.

I agree with the mayor on that.

(04-28-2015, 11:31 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: People keep referring to thugs hijacking the peaceful protest.

I'd like to know, where are the peaceful protesters? Are there pics of them peacefully demonstrating, and then a huge mob comes and takes over? Or is it in fact, a mob from the get go?

Just asking.

I don't know, MS.

For two weeks people were protesting with nothing but some words thrown about. The protestors were getting some answers, but not full answers. The city officials were asking for more time and peace. Things were pretty peaceful with some squirmishes; things were contained.

Then, there was a Purge declaration circulated at a high school on the day of the funeral (yesterday) and a bunch of teens initiated stone and bottle throwing, throwing rocks at police, etc... From there, I believe other opportunistic bottom feeders -- some reportedly gang members from in and out of the city, others probably low-life adult residents -- appear to have jumped on the thug bandwagon.

That's my take based on what I've read and seen, some of which is referenced in the CNN timeline that I posted upthread.

I don't recall seeing any white thugs and you have to search to find the cracker in the crowd. Like I said the opportunity was/is there and it says a lot towards the mentality of the thugs.

(04-28-2015, 11:28 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: What I'm trying to understand is if it's being insinuated here that the mayor should be held accountable for the riots directly because of a poorly worded statement. I don't think that's the case, personally. I think those rioters would have struck regardless of the press conference or that statement.

Could she have done other things differently to minimize or avoid giving rioters an opportunity to destroy parts of the city? Probably so. She failed to achieve the balance she was seeking. I don't envy her position.

^^^^this^^^^

After the initial unrest, her additional actions and words together did not help to de-escalate the environment. She didn't cause people to riot or 'purge', but she didn't do much to resolve tensions either.