Mock
POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE (/thread-11806.html)

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - blueberryhill - 05-05-2015

One of my Turkish friends posted a picture on FB of a policeman with man under arrest on ground. Nearby was a dog trying to get near guy on ground. The policeman was kicking tbe dog....It was probably some guy protesting against their( not so popular with everyone) leader who tries to enforce more Muslim laws on the general population (according to my Turkish family) through exchange student program......Sorry, I didn't understand the translation so don't know for sure about circumstances of arrest....There was a flag tossed on the ground. I assumed it was Turkish flag, Protests have been quite common in Turkey over the last 2 years and have participated in these protests. They are all well educated with high ranking jobs and a couple are CEOs of some large companies so think protests are common. Some of these protests did turn into violence, but only after the police used pepper spray and injured some protesters and some violence escalated. There were a few deaths. Erdrgon (sic) tried to keep all of this out of the media...and he did shut down some sources, e.g, facebook, etc.....he is really a jerk....

This reminds me of the picture couple of weeks ago in which several guys were arrested and were all subdued (on the ground, I think)including a dog that was laying beside one of the men in a submissive pose. I had to laugh at that photo....

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Jimbone - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 10:42 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 05:40 PM)Jimbone Wrote: The 'South' has traditionally been delineated by the Mason-Dixon line, which separates Pennsylvania from West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware. During the Civil War, 'Dixie' became a nickname for the Confederacy, and its believed to have come as a reference to the Mason-Dixon line (even though Maryland and Delaware were slave states, but did not secede).

Well, that clears it right up. Smiley_emoticons_wink

Ha! I grew up in Pennsylvania, and took to Civil War history from field trips to historical sites while in elementary school. Guess some of that fancy learnin' stuck in my head!

Plus when you cross the border from Pennsylvania into Maryland, there is usually a Mason-Dixon Line sign somewhere near the 'Welcome to Maryland' sign.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - blueberryhill - 05-05-2015

*above, it was too late for edit, my friends participated in these protests, line 5
*last line, first page....he shut down internet.......

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 05-06-2015

(05-05-2015, 11:47 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Ha! I grew up in Pennsylvania, and took to Civil War history from field trips to historical sites while in elementary school. Guess some of that fancy learnin' stuck in my head!

Plus when you cross the border from Pennsylvania into Maryland, there is usually a Mason-Dixon Line sign somewhere near the 'Welcome to Maryland' sign.

So it's a Southern state then, right? Quit teasing us; just answer the question, Jim! Smiley_emoticons_smile

Sounds like those field trips were fun and you learned a lot from them.

I have a couple of guy friends who are Civil War buffs. I'm pretty ignorant about it when it comes to the details. But, I get more and more interested in the history of war as time goes by.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Jimbone - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 08:36 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: So it's a Southern state then, right? Quit teasing us; just answer the question, Jim! Smiley_emoticons_smile

Sounds like those field trips were fun and you learned a lot from them.

I have a couple of guy friends who are Civil War buffs. I'm pretty ignorant about it when it comes to the details. But, I get more and more interested in the history of war as time goes by.

It's funny, because by the line it's technically a southern state. But I went to college, lived, and worked in Maryland and have to be honest that it never really felt 'southern' to me. Always felt to me like you had to get south of the DC metro area in Virginia or Maryland to be 'in the south'. Definitely a cultural shift when you make it to those areas.

With regards to the Civil War, if you ever have time you want to invest I'd recommend a series of books by Shelby Foote. He wrote three books covering the whole conflict from start to finish. Incredibly detailed and researched. Ken Burns did a really good documentary as well, and probably easier to watch that then reading thousands of pages Smiley_emoticons_smile

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 09:10 AM)Jimbone Wrote: Always felt to me like you had to get south of the DC metro area in Virginia or Maryland to be 'in the south'.

That's my take on it too.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 09:12 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 09:10 AM)Jimbone Wrote: Always felt to me like you had to get south of the DC metro area in Virginia or Maryland to be 'in the south'.

That's my take on it too.

I've only been to Maryland once and spent the whole time at the Baltimore convention center, so I didn't get a real for the culture.

I did get to wander around DC for a bit years ago -- it definitely didn't align with my perception of Southern culture.

Florida is technically a Southern state too, but it doesn't feel as culturally similar to me as Tennessee and Oklahoma.

Anyway, thanks for the book recommendations Jimbone. I understand there are a lot of good documentaries on History Channel too. One day soon I hope to binge watch the war series.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - FAHQTOO - 05-06-2015

I've never heard of rednecks or hillbillys from Maryland.

(05-06-2015, 09:31 AM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I've never heard of rednecks or hillbillys from Maryland.

I was able to see some of them, they are there. While working on a grant project we had to set up sites in every county in Maryland, and boy howdy there are rednecks and hillbillys... but they are a long drive from the metro areas.

One place was way out in Garrett County, which borders West Virginia on the far western edge of the Maryland panhandle. That was hillbilly out there... and down in southern Maryland and along the eastern shore there were some rednecks.

(05-06-2015, 09:30 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Anyway, thanks for the book recommendations Jimbone. I understand there are a lot of good documentaries on History Channel too. One day soon I hope to binge watch the war series.

Burns did another one on WWII called The War, that was good as well. And time on the History Channel is usually pretty well spent too!

^ Thanks Jimbone.

The new Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, was in Baltimore today. So far, her tone contrasts that of her predecessor Eric Holder.

Snip:
Lynch's words Tuesday were friendly, thanking the police for allowing peaceful protests and helping people to rebuild and clean up.

"You really have become the face of law enforcement. Now you may say that's for good or ill, I know, but we don't always choose moments. Sometimes they choose us. And how we live with that and how we go through with that, determines what kind of officers we are," she said.

Lynch also met privately with Gray's family at the University of Baltimore, and participated in a meeting with faith and community leaders as well as a few members of Maryland's congressional delegation.

"When the city is in turmoil and literally in pain as you have described, to watch people come together and be as determined as the city of Baltimore has been, to reclaim the city, to rebuild the city, and to make it again the great city that it has always been, has been inspiring for me," she said at the meeting. "We're here to hold your hands and provide support.'

[Image: RTX1BPPI-layout-comp.jpg]
^ Loretta Lynch and Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

In a meeting with Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Lynch said the people of Baltimore are "willing partners in the effort to improve this beautiful city." Rawlings-Blake likened the relationship between the police and the community to a marriage.

"Separation is not an option. Divorce is not an option. We have to figure out how we're going to make this marriage work, make it healthy and make it thrive so that our city can thrive," she said.

Lynch's biggest challenge as the top law enforcement officer in the country is striking the right balance between supporting the community while also supporting law enforcement. When former Attorney General Eric Holder traveled to Ferguson, Missouri after a black teenager was shot by a police officer, he was criticized for seeming to "tip his hand" too far. Lynch appears to be making a deliberate attempt to hear from both sides to avoid the same perception.

Full story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/loretta-lynch-meets-police-freddie-gray-family-baltimore/

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 05-06-2015

She did good!

I always appreciate seeing women in positions of power. We've come a long way but at the end of the day it's still a man's world out there in so many ways.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Midwest Spy - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 04:17 PM)Duchess Wrote:

She did good!

... but at the end of the day it's still a man's world out there in so many ways.

Dragging a woman by her hair and bending her over the nearest counter/couch is one thing that should never change.

Women love a man that takes charge.

Ladies, wouldn't you agree?

(05-06-2015, 05:33 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Dragging a woman by her hair and bending her over the nearest counter/couch is one thing that should never change.

I'm dragging this post outta here for you, MS.

The ladies can answer your probing inquiry here: http://mockforums.net/showthread.php?tid=11849&pid=395591#pid395591

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Midwest Spy - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 05:53 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 05:33 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Dragging a woman by her hair and bending her over the nearest counter/couch is one thing that should never change.

The ladies can submit to your probing here:

HotD, you say the nicest things.

Alright, all done now.

(05-06-2015, 04:17 PM)Duchess Wrote: She did good!

I always appreciate seeing women in positions of power. We've come a long way but at the end of the day it's still a man's world out there in so many ways.

It's a nice change to see a mayor welcoming an investigation by the DOJ to determine if there's systematic discriminatory policies and brutality within the city's police force, instead of resisting and kicking her feet.

It doesn't appear to be something that the city officials are welcoming for the purpose of raking anyone over the coals, but rather to identify means by which to make the streets safer for the police and the community.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - blueberryhill - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 06:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 04:17 PM)Duchess Wrote: She did good!

It's a nice change to see a mayor welcoming an investigation by the DOJ to determine if there's systematic discriminatory policies and brutality within the city's police force, instead of resisting and kicking her feet.

It doesn't appear to be something that the city officials are welcoming for the purpose of raking anyone over the coals, but rather to identify means by which to make the streets safer for the police and the community.

but.....Hair, that is what women do......they get the job done......but still at 77 cents on the dollar...dang.......also when they are not being pulled around by their hair and thrown on the countertop/couch to be uh....ravaged, and you know, loved.....instead of falling to sleep afterward, they are up and back to the job to be done, i.e., running the city. Multi-tasking, that is what we do, baby.....

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Maggot - 05-06-2015

There should be more women police officers. I would appreciate more women plumbers also.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - blueberryhill - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 08:36 PM)Maggot Wrote: There should be more women police officers. I would appreciate more women plumbers also.

Oh, just stop thinking about sex for a minute....Sign_pervert

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Maggot - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 08:43 PM)blueberryhill Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 08:36 PM)Maggot Wrote: There should be more women police officers. I would appreciate more women plumbers also.

Oh, just stop thinking about sex for a minute....Sign_pervert

As I reply, I am.