Mock
POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE (/thread-11806.html)

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Blindgreed1 - 07-08-2016

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database#

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Midwest Spy - 07-08-2016

I will say that most of the time when I see a white person killed by the cops, my first reaction is usually, 'must have been justified.'

This latest shooting in St Paul seems outrageous to me. How do you unload your weapon into the vehicle, especially with a child in the backseat?

A completely scared, trigger-happy, shoot first ask questions later, excuse-for-a-cop.

He needs to spend 20+ years in prison for his actions.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Blindgreed1 - 07-08-2016

(07-08-2016, 11:23 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I will say that most of the time when I see a white person killed by the cops, my first reaction is usually, 'must have been justified.'

This latest shooting in St Paul seems outrageous to me. How do you unload your weapon into the vehicle, especially with a child in the backseat?

A completely scared, trigger-happy, shoot first ask questions later, excuse-for-a-cop.

He needs to spend 20+ years in prison for his actions.
I thought about that last night. We are all basing our opinion on what we saw in the video. None of us ever saw the exchange between the two. We saw the end result and Diamond's narrative of what happened. Routine procedure when a cop is informed that someone is carrying a concealed weapon is to get them out of the vehicle and then assess the situation (secure the weapon, verify the paperwork is up to snuff). There are many variations of how that could have played out. i.e. Cop: "license and registration please sir?" Phil: "I am licensed and carrying a concealed weapon" Cop: "Step out of the vehicle" if he reaches for the ID and registration and doesn't exit the vehicle, its a justifiable shoot IMO. We don't know. We weren't there. And the cop losing his shit afterward is actually a good thing. If he were a cold blooded killer he wouldn't give a shit.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-08-2016

Lack of in-depth screening before hiring, and lack of adequate situational training in some police departments, negatively impacts everyone of every color and ethic background. That's true, Gunnar, and there are plenty of stories posted in this thread about non-blacks being killed by police officers (of all colors) under controversial circumstances.

But, Black Lives Matter doesn't offend me. It doesn't translate to "only black lives matter" or "blue lives don't matter" for me. It's just a statement of fact and a movement to protest and address perceived police discrimination against blacks. Cops being busted for exchanging racially discriminatory remarks and promoting discriminatory treatment of blacks and other minorities in the communities they patrol only fuels the fire.

Those Guardian stats you linked indicate that blacks are killed by public police officers at a rate nearly 2.5 times that of whites, per capita. I'm sure some people believe that's because blacks commit serious crimes 2.5 times more often or threaten the lives of cops 2.5 times more often than whites. And, others believe that cops are over twice as likely to use lethal force against blacks, due to racial profiling/bias.

I tend to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between; there is a real problem with a disproportionate number of minority deaths at the hands of police, some of which stems from the way some police officers and departments treat minorities vs. how they treat white people under the same circumstances. However, I don't expect everyone to draw the same conclusions and form the same opinions as I do when following these stories about killings by police.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Donovan - 07-08-2016

It says "black lives matter" because even though all lives do matter, it seems to be the black ones we need to be reminded about. I wrote this elsewhere and meant every word. When we encourage dehumanization of people based on any criteria, be it color or religion or race or nationality or even what kind of uniform they have on, events like these are the expected result and we can no longer pretend to be surprised by them. This is the nation we have built for ourselves.

As for Dallas: I went there and lived for half a year, working and existing in that community. I won't say it was the most racist spot I ever lived, but it was the most openly and virulently racist spot I ever lived. They were damn proud of their hate even then.

(07-08-2016, 11:53 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Lack of in-depth screening before hiring, and lack of adequate situational training in some police departments, negatively impacts everyone of every color and ethic background. That's true, Gunnar, and there are plenty of stories posted in this thread about non-blacks being killed by police officers (of all colors) under controversial circumstances.

But, Black Lives Matter doesn't offend me. It doesn't translate to "only black lives matter" or "blue lives don't matter" for me. It's just a statement of fact and a movement to protest and address perceived police discrimination against blacks. Cops being busted for exchanging racially discriminatory remarks and promoting discriminatory treatment of blacks and other minorities in the communities they patrol only fuels the fire.

Those Guardian stats you linked indicate that blacks are killed by public police officers at a rate nearly 2.5 times that of whites, per capita. I'm sure some people believe that's because blacks commit serious crimes 2.5 times more often or threaten the lives of cops 2.5 times more often than whites. And, others believe that cops are over twice as likely to use lethal force against blacks, due to racial profiling/bias.

I tend to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between; there is a real problem with a disproportionate number of minority deaths at the hands of police, some of which stems from the way some police officers and departments treat minorities vs. how they treat white people under the same circumstances. However, I don't expect everyone to draw the same conclusions and form the same opinions as I do when following these stories about killings by police.
The article posted addresses that statistic effectively IMO. There are many variables to consider and the data all needs to be stratified. The one thing we do know right now is one of the shooters in Dallas stated he wanted to kill some white cops. The cop in Minnesota is of Korean descent.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-08-2016

None of which is relevant to my comment, Gunnar.

Anyway, the Dallas shooter has been identified as 25-year-old Micah Xavier Johnson.

I'm sure details about his background will be released soon enough; I'm curious to hear them.

Well, this is not surprising. I just heard it confirmed that the shooter had military training and had served some time in the army.

(07-08-2016, 12:31 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: None of which is relevant to my comment, Gunnar.

Anyway, the Dallas shooter has been identified as 25-year-old Micah Xavier Johnson.

I'm sure details about his background will be released soon enough; I'm curious to hear them.
The article posted addresses that comment. I said so. So it is fact.

Ok, Gunnar.

This is the Dallas sniper.

[Image: Micah-X-Johnson-6.jpg]

I won't be surprised if it turns out he didn't have a notable criminal record, but did have some documented mental health issues.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Maggot - 07-08-2016

(07-07-2016, 11:33 PM)Donovan Wrote: Dude is dead for a taillight. Your questions mean nothing.

You must have seen the video with the actual shooting and the events up to that point, you are jumping to conclusions along with everyone else but that's OK its part of the fantasy you live in. Your opinion means nothing.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 07-08-2016

The girlfriend of Philando Castile posted that he had been shot 4 times. In response to that a Nashville LEO, Anthony Venable, posted "Yeah, I would have done 5". He's been decommissioned.

(07-08-2016, 12:53 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 11:33 PM)Donovan Wrote: Dude is dead for a taillight. Your questions mean nothing.

You must have seen the video with the actual shooting and the events up to that point, you are jumping to conclusions along with everyone else but that's OK its part of the fantasy you live in. Your opinion means nothing.
Even I got caught up in it at first, but with a little bit of critical thinking realized without all of the facts I can't form an opinion. I'm sorry the dude died, but without something tangible besides the biased and dead pan version from Diamond I can't say if it was justified or not. I don't think anyone can. Which will lead to more outrage if the cop isn't prosecuted.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 07-08-2016

The medical examiner has ruled his death a homicide.

We know that Philando was pulled over for a broken tail light, that's been confirmed by police.

We know his death was a homicide (which is not synonymous with murder or criminal action) at the hands of a police officer, that's been confirmed by the Medical Examiner.

We know that Philando had no record of serious or violent crime and he had a permit to carry a gun.

Almost everything else we know about the fatal incident comes from the video recorded by Diamond. We've seen other officers direct people to show their license and registration and then shoot when the person makes a move in order to comply. According to Diamond, that's what happened in this case after Philando told the officer he had a gun and a permit.

I'm interested in hearing the officers' version of events when they're released.

(07-08-2016, 01:30 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: We know that Philando was pulled over for a broken tail light, that's been confirmed by police.

We know his death was a homicide (which is not synonymous with murder or criminal action) at the hands of a police officer, that's been confirmed by the Medical Examiner.

We know that Philando had no record of serious or violent crime and he had a permit to carry a gun.

Everything else we know about the fatal incident comes from the video recorded by Diamond. We've seen other officers direct people to show their license and registration and then shoot when the person makes a move in order to comply. According to Diamond, that's what happened in this case after Philando told the officer he had a gun and a permit.

I'm interested in hearing the officers' version of events when they're released.
Which is all hearsay since the actual shooting wasn't on the live FB stream. I'm sorry, but unless the officer confesses to shooting him for no reason I don't see a conviction unless there's a dash cam from another police car that shows the incident.

Yes, Gunnar, I know the video stream began after the shooting. As I said, we know what Diamond recorded in the video. We don't yet know the officers' versions of events, which I'm interested in hearing.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Midwest Spy - 07-08-2016

I thought the officer was quoted on the FB version as yelling, "I told him not to move, I told him not to move!"

The Star Tribune posted an article this morning talking about MN law and what the procedures are if an officer knows someone has a concealed weapon.

Someone can post it if they'd like, but, the gist of the message was: if you tell an officer you're carrying, you are now obliged to follow every single command that officer gives you.

Let's say Phil told him he was carrying (which I do believe happened).

The officer most likely told him not to move, but Phil, trying to be transparent, most likely reached for his permit, at which point the officer unloaded his weapon into him.

If the officer would have been rational and calm, he would've have understood that someone declaring to you he had a weapon is most likely not looking to shoot you, or he wouldn't have declared it.

This is my take: the cop was edgy, jumpy and frightened.

He reacted way too quickly and now I hope he spends many, many years in prison.

(07-08-2016, 02:08 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I thought the officer was quoted on the FB version as yelling, "I told him not to move, I told him not to move!"

The officer said, "I told him not to reach for it, I told him to get his hand off it!", to which Diamond responded, "you told him to show his ID sir, to get his driver's license."

(07-08-2016, 02:08 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I thought the officer was quoted on the FB version as yelling, "I told him not to move, I told him not to move!"

The Star Tribune posted an article this morning talking about MN law and what the procedures are if an officer knows someone has a concealed weapon.

Someone can post it if they'd like, but, the gist of the message was: if you tell an officer you're carrying, you are now obliged to follow every single command that officer gives you.

Let's say Phil told him he was carrying (which I do believe happened).

The officer most likely told him not to move, but Phil, trying to be transparent, most likely reached for his permit, at which point the officer unloaded his weapon into him.

If the officer would have been rational and calm, he would've have understood that someone declaring to you he had a weapon is most likely not looking to shoot you, or he wouldn't have declared it.

This is my take: the cop was edgy, jumpy and frightened.

He reacted way too quickly and now I hope he spends many, many years in prison.
Which is the same thing almost ANY cop would do. The man just told you he has a weapon and is reaching behind his back. Bro... If a total stranger did that to you, you'd shit your pants thinking you're about to get shot. Keep in mind that every day a cop leaves the house to go to work he knows he might not ever come home again.