Mock
POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE (/thread-11806.html)

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-10-2016

(07-10-2016, 07:24 PM)Duchess Wrote: Does anyone reading this have a problem with the Dallas PD using a bomb to kill the sniper? I ask because I'm surprised to hear that the Chief has had to defend his use of that robot bomb or bomb robot or whatever the hell it is.

I don't have any problem with it. The sniper was a trained marksman who had already shot 14 people, and he appeared to have a lot more ammunition and no intention to stop shooting police officers and others.

I wouldn't support LE using robot bombers to kill suspects in very many situations. But, in this case of an isolated killer who'd already confessed and bragged about his mass shooting -- and where there was no obvious and quick alternative to stop him from killing more people -- I think it was a good creative option.

We now know he was a deranged black radical with bomb making materials and existing plans to launch a future attack (which he pushed up and into action when the Dallas protest opportunity presented itself).

The sniper was a public safety threat and I'm glad he's dead, though it's too bad LE couldn't interrogate him to confirm that he wasn't plotting future attacks with others.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-10-2016

After listening and reading commentary from a wide variety of sources, I think the tragedies of this week opened a lot of eyes (though much investigation into all of the violent incidents is still required).

I've heard conservative public figures acknowledge for the first time that systematic racism in policing exists, and I've seen gun-enthusiasts admit that some of the standard rhetoric pushed by the NRA and gun extremists often does not match reality.

I've heard several civil rights leaders, protesters, LE officials, and politicians reiterate strongly that they condemn violence and support police officers, while simultaneously condemning bad/unqualified officers and the systemic problems which enable them to hurt and kill people unjustifiably and cover it up.

I've heard several gun-rights advocates admit that legally carrying a gun can put one in more danger than not carrying a gun, especially during interactions with police (and especially for people of color).

The events of this week have shown that the element of surprise can indeed give a trained/prepared bad guy with a semi-automatic rifle and tons of ammunition a huge advantage over hundreds of trained and untrained good guys with guns, even in open carry zones.

The events of this week have also validated username's point about semi-automatics being virtually useless if the government wants to kill civilians, being that the government has WMDs, drones, tanks... Now she can add "robot bombers" to the list to support her argument.

I hope improvements in situational and de-escalation training, community outreach, mandatory body cams, independent investigatory bodies, etc... are put on the fast track now. And, I really hope that the more honest and cooperative dialogue from rational people on all sides continues.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 07-11-2016

Well, this is pretty awful. It's from a website called Black Panthers Mississippi. This isn't helping!

[Image: 361815BF00000578-3684640-image-a-2_1468258103276.jpg]

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-11-2016

^ It's a disturbing image. Intentionally so, I'm sure. I've seen references to that image and RBG a couple of times recently.

A couple of days ago, I read a story about a white cop in Kansas, Rodney Lee, who was fired because he posted underneath a four year old photo of a black Texas woman's child on Facebook: "We'll see how much her life matters soon.. better be careful leaving your info open where she can be found. Hold her close tonight, it'll be the last time."
Story: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/07/11/cop-fired-facebook-threat_n_10926840.html

The woman had never met Lee and said she had no idea why he posted the terrifying message that kept her up all night. After I later read that she had that image you posted in the comment above as her profile pic, it wasn't a mystery to me how Lee happened to find her page (though it doesn't justify what the cop did and I agree with his firing).

The second reference I saw was shortly after the Dallas mass shooting. According to Dallas PD Chief Brown, the sniper wrote 'RB' in his own blood and may have been attempting to write 'RBG' (Red, Black, Green), which are the colors of the Pan-African / Liberation flag. Chief Brown says that the sniper was blacklisted from many black militant groups because he was 'unstable'.
Ref: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/11/micah-johnson-was-blacklisted-by-black-power-groups-as-unstable.html

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 07-12-2016

I viewed that picture as threatening. A few years ago I probably would have just seen it as dumb but given the way things are now, people shouldn't be surprised nor offended when getting over the top feedback after posting it. The cop was a moron for responding as he did but so was she for posting that in the first place.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - cannongal - 07-12-2016

(07-12-2016, 05:55 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I viewed that picture as threatening.

I saw that picture (minus the words) on Facebook. The profile that posted it went by the name of Alton Sterling and was created a day after he was killed. The whole profile was filled with helpful tips and tricks on how to kill police officers. I think the profile was up for maybe 4 days before Facebook pulled it. I wish I had thought to take screen shots Smiley_emoticons_slash

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-12-2016

Philando Castile -- update

Thomas Kelly, the attorney for officer Jeronimo Yanez, has told the media the following:

1. Philando Castile was pulled over for a broken brake light.

2. Philando Castile was not a suspected armed robber. However, Yanez thought the driver might resemble an unidentified robbery suspect from four days earlier (which is presumably why he radioed his friend and fellow officer Kauser before pulling Castile over).

3. Philando Castile was in possession of a permit to carry a firearm, though Yanez did not know that when he initiated the stop.

4. Race was not a factor in the traffic stop, but 'the presence of a gun' which he saw in the possession of the driver is what led Yanez to fear for his life and shoot Castile.

5. There is squad car video that will prove his client Yanez innocent (that video has not been publicly released, though the family and the community would sure like to see it).

Albert Goins, an attorney who assisted the Castile family in the hours following the shooting, told the press that the officers should have initiated a felony traffic stop if they suspected he was a robber.

'A felony stop involves bringing the suspect out at gunpoint while officers are in a position of cover and having them lie on the ground until they can identify who that individual is,' he said. Weighing in on the audio, Goins said he 'can't imagine that it’s reasonable suspicion to make a stop because somebody had a broad nose'.

The family of Philando Castile has hired former Atlanta judge and high profile attorney Glenda Hatchett to represent them in filing a civil suit.

Refs:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-thought-philando-castile-was-robbery-suspect-tapes-show-n607856
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3686599/The-driver-looks-like-one-suspects-just-wide-set-nose-Police-audio-shows-officers-thought-Philando-Castile-robbery-suspect.html
http://www.fox9.com/news/172929269-story

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-12-2016

[Image: hatchettcastileoconnell.jpg]

Glenda Hatchett (^ in stripes) during a Tuesday press conference outside the Capitol Building in St. Paul announced the Hatchett Law Firm ― which specializes in wrongful death ― will represent the Castile family in all civil matters.

“Yes, we will pursue justice on his behalf. Yes, there will be a lawsuit,” Hatchett told reporters.

Hatchett declined to immediately elaborate on the nature of the civil suit, but said everything will be in the public once the action is filed. “My responsibilities are on the civil side, but I’ll be monitoring closely what happens on the criminal side,” she added.

Hatchett said she will ask on behalf of the Castile family for an independent prosecutor to be appointed in any criminal case against the St. Anthony police officer who fatally shot the 32-year-old, and will also reach out to the Department of Justice.

Hatchett made the point that Castile, who was “respected deeply in the community” and “loved by his coworkers,” wasn’t running from the police, wasn’t reaching for a gun and wasn’t doing anything unlawful.

“This time, we have a man complying with a police officer’s directions. This time, we’re telling you, ladies and gentleman, must be the last time.”

“A lot of you are going to ask me my response to the officer’s attorney. My response is: ‘I will see you in court,’” Hatchett told reporters.

Family, friends and colleagues have described Castile as a quiet but funny man who loved his family and took pride in his work. He was a longtime St. Paul Public Schools employee who in recent years served as the lunchroom supervisor for J.J. Hill Montessori.

Castile had no record of felonies, but a lengthy record of traffic stops that yielded more than 50 violations. Roughly half of the infractions, which included driving with a suspended license and parking violations, were dismissed. But community activists and the local NAACP said Castile’s experience with traffic stops mirrors those of many in the Twin Cities’ black community and suggest a pattern of racial profiling by police.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/philando-castile-lawyer_us_5785111ae4b07c356cfe8924?section=

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Maggot - 07-12-2016

(07-10-2016, 12:57 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(07-10-2016, 09:43 AM)Maggot Wrote: It's to late the damage is done. It will become another black spot on the sun today and many have already made up their minds no matter what the truth is.

hah The hypocrisy. You are a prime example of the "many" you're criticizing.

Now, you're doing it again, which is your prerogative. But, while most others here are commenting and differentiating between the known facts and their speculations/opinions, you're again posting unsourced and unsubstantiated theory as fact because it matches your bias... while criticizing those who are more objective than you.

Anyway, to set the record straight:

Well that's wasn't very nice. Twat

Hey, baby, the truth can be a cruel bitch sometimes.

Sorry, but it's good for you. Nick knows...

P.s. I loved that Mayer Hawthorne song (but, no-can-do on the walk request).

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-13-2016

Minnesota Gun Laws and the Philando Castile case

Authorities are not allowed to release the names of permit holders, but both the Minnesota Star Tribune and Officer Yanez's attorney confirmed last week that Philando had a carry permit.

Philando Castile had his permit to carry on his person when he was shot to death by Officer Yanez. Philando's family has allowed the media to publish documentation confirming that he had a permit.

[Image: philando-castile-permit.jpg]
http://www.fox9.com/news/173548963-story

And, whether Castile had the gun in a holster on his side, in his lap, in his pocket...he was in compliance with his permit privileges and the state law.

Under Minnesota law:
A person with a valid permit to carry a pistol may transport one or more pistols in a motor vehicle whether as a driver or a passenger, irrespective of whether the handgun is cased or uncased, is loaded or unloaded, or is concealed or being carried openly, and whether it is kept on the person or elsewhere in the vehicle, and whether the person is inside or outside the vehicle. When the handgun is left stored in any condition within a vehicle, “constructive possession” applies.
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssfiretrns.pdf

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Maggot - 07-13-2016

Hopefully this goes down with complete police protocol out of compliance so other cops know better when approaching a car with a black guy in it and the entire department becomes scrutinized for all cases when approaching a black guy in a car.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-14-2016

Fresno, California -- the killing of Dylan Noble, 19

This police shooting took place on June 25th. The pull-over was prompted by a 911 call about a man with a rifle near the airport and an officer's observation of a man peeling out in his truck.

It has led to protests here, with protesters waving Confederate flags and adopting a White Lives Matter slogan.

The just-released police body cam of the incident ^ shows the driver, Dylan Noble, ignoring and defying clear orders from Fresno police after officers correctly ordered him out of his truck from a distance. (It's not yet confirmed if Dylan was under the influence of alcohol or anything.)

The police claim that Noble appeared to want to suicide-by-cop. Noble's family and friends say that's not true. Noble can be heard screaming, "I fucking hate my life" at the 3:57 mark when he goes to reach for his waistband after being warned again not to do so.

I'm sorry Dylan Noble is dead and I'm very glad the officers were wearing body cams. A witness video captured only the shots fired after Dylan was on the ground. That video was circulated widely shortly after the shooting. The body cam's full incident footage adds much more context and clarity. It does not appear to me that the officers were nervous, issuing conflicting instructions, or initially looking for a reason to shoot -- just the opposite.

I don't personally question that the first shot was likely warranted, based on the body cam video. However, once Noble had been shot and was lying on the ground (still defying instructions), did he really pose a threat to the officers' lives? Did he have to be shot three more times? That is currently under investigation. Note: it did turn out that Noble had something in his hand (later determined to be a plastic vile with malleable clay).

Story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/14/trigger-happy-or-well-trained-police-in-fresno-calif-release-video-of-dylan-noble-shooting/

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 07-14-2016

Stupid kid. Jesus. They gave him every opportunity to comply. The cops shouldn't have to repeatedly tell someone to show their hands and keep them up.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-14-2016

(07-14-2016, 12:04 PM)Duchess Wrote: Stupid kid. Jesus. They gave him every opportunity to comply. The cops shouldn't have to repeatedly tell someone to show their hands and keep them up.

Dylan Noble appears to have had supportive parents, a loving girlfriend, friends...

[Image: dylan-noble.jpg]

Still, after viewing the body cam, I think it's possible that he was in fact trying to get himself killed. To me, he appears to keep intentionally doing the opposite of what the officers instructed.

It's also possible to me that he wasn't suicidal in general, but might have been impaired or highly upset when he was stopped and figured "fuck, I hate my life anyway" and decided to be defiant.

Whatever was in Dylan's mind, once he was on the ground and continuing to move his hands, was shooting three more times the only/best option for police? I'm interested in hearing what the investigation determines in that regard.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - SIXFOOTERsez - 07-14-2016

he made the call, also need to remember there is no requirement for the officers to put themselves in danger. So popping the guy until he stops being a threat is justifiable. That kid could have had a weapon and decided to pull a "Fuck You Charley". Crazy sounding shit but then again so is shooting a cop and deciding to suicide by cop

Yeah, I'll wait to see if investigators agree that 'popping' a person twice from a distance when he's already been downed by two bullets = self defense.

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-15-2016

An Atlanta PD Officer has been fired, thankfully so for the sake of public safety.

[Image: James-Burns-and-Dervais-Rog-380x280.gif?dd1bbe]

Three-year department veteran James Burns went to an apartment complex on Father's Day evening, in response to a report from an off-duty officer that someone might be trying to break into cars in the parking lot of his girlfriend's complex.

While Burns was looking around for a potential burglar, 22-year-old Dervius Rogers was driving out of the complex and attempted to drive around Burns' squad car, which had its siren light on.

When Rogers didn't stop on command, Burns shot into the car and hit the driver in the head, killing Rogers. Rogers' sedan rolled into the parking lot of bar and smashed into an SUV.

Burns claimed that he feared for his life because he thought the suspect was going to run him down. However, surveillance from the complex contradicted that claim and showed that Rogers attempted to drive away from Burns, not at him.

The internal investigation concluded that Burns had no probable cause to consider the then-unknown driver a suspect. (It's since been confirmed by police that Rogers was not the suspect.)

Officer Burns did not know if the suspect he was chasing was inside the car and fired at it as it drove away from — not toward — the cop, according to a report released Wednesday.

“He had no idea who was in the vehicle. He had no idea if that was the vehicle he should be concerned with. He just discharged his weapon," Sgt. Warren Pickard told the media. “The officer simply acted in a way that we cannot support.”

Georgia’s Bureau of Investigation is looking into the shooting for any possible criminal violation.

Ref: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/atlanta-killed-driver-no-idea-car-article-1.2711661

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - HairOfTheDog - 07-18-2016

^ Atlanta PD Officer Burns has been charged with felony murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and two counts of violation of oath by a police officer.

Story: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/16/us/former-atlanta-officer-charged-with-murder/ (HOTD edit: corrected link)

---------------------------

And, in the Freddie Gray case, Lt. Brian Rice was acquitted today after a bench trial by Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams.

Rice is the fourth of the six officers charged to go on trial in the 2015 death. Three have been acquitted, one jury hung, and two defendants have yet to be tried.

CBS News' Justice Department reporter Paula Reid reports Rice's acquittal is not a surprise given that this trial involved the same case, the same facts, similar witnesses, and the same judge as the last acquittal.

Williams' verdict may have hinged on a simple question: Should the officer have put a seat belt on Freddie Gray?

During closing arguments last week, Judge Williams asked prosecutors if they believed it was a crime not to put a seat belt on Gray.

"So, failure to restrain equals criminal act?" the judge asked.

Michael Schatzow, chief deputy state's attorney, replied that it was, because to leave Gray face down on the floor of the van in handcuffs and leg shackles amounted to Rice not taking reasonable action to ensure his safety. The judge obviously disagreed.

Story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brian-rice-freddie-gray-trial-acquitted-baltimore/

RE: POLICE BRUTALITY CASES: WALTER SCOTT MURDER & MORE - Duchess - 07-19-2016

(07-18-2016, 10:44 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: because to leave Gray face down on the floor of the van in handcuffs and leg shackles amounted to Rice not taking reasonable action to ensure his safety. The judge obviously disagreed.

The judge is fucked in the head. You can bet your ass if any of us were hauling people around like that we'd be paying some kind of consequence.