Mock
THE REBEL FLAG - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Whatever Junk (https://mockforums.net/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: We Don't Give A Fuck About This Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: THE REBEL FLAG (/thread-11932.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - JsMom - 07-03-2015

(07-03-2015, 09:28 AM)ramseycat Wrote: They should not be moving graves. That's just stupid. I am so sick of this PC bullshit. Every week it's some new uproar over old events. Or some perceived insult. What a complete waste of time and money.

I have to agree. It's beyond ridiculous.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - Clang McFly - 07-03-2015

(07-03-2015, 09:28 AM)ramseycat Wrote: They should not be moving graves. That's just stupid.
Reminds me of the this old lady/Church busybody that had a cemetery job and destroyed(in the incinerator) a bunch of flags and other grave decorations without getting permission to do so.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - F.U. - 07-04-2015

Even up here in yankee land that flag is used. Yes we are a redneck town [some may have heard of the town I live in. Years ago we were on the news and on daytime tv for burning crosses as the mayor forced "diversity" upon us. Not bragging just stating a fact.] and no we don't care if anyone knows or likes it. Here is the name of one of our local pubs. Does it make any sense that it is way up here, so far away from that line? Hell no, do we care, again, Hell No. Is it a predominantly white bar, Hell Yes. Will the Blacks in town bitch about this, Who cares, we are far from politically correct in this town.

[Image: IMG_20150704_104829_zpszeqfp6x6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150704_104725_zpswkrg7khl.jpg]

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - Maggot - 07-05-2015

The people have spoken. hah

July 4 crowds ignore call to boycott Georgia park over Confederate flag

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (Reuters) - Fourth of July holidaymakers ignored a call to boycott Georgia's Stone Mountain Park, known as the "Confederate Rushmore," over its display of the contentious Confederate flag.

Hundreds of people had staked out spots at the 3,200-acre (1,295-hectare) privately run park by noon on Saturday for nighttime laser and fireworks shows. They shrugged off heavy rain on the park's busiest day of the year as well as the boycott call.

Democratic state Representative LaDawn Blackett Jones this week urged people to stay away from the park 10 miles (16 km) east of Atlanta because it flies three flags of the pro-slavery Confederacy alongside the U.S. and Georgia state flags.

Who the hell listens to a person named "Ladawn Blackett Jones" ?

Link

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - FAHQTOO - 07-05-2015

(07-05-2015, 12:44 PM)Maggot Wrote: The people have spoken. hah

July 4 crowds ignore call to boycott Georgia park over Confederate flag

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (Reuters) - Fourth of July holidaymakers ignored a call to boycott Georgia's Stone Mountain Park, known as the "Confederate Rushmore," over its display of the contentious Confederate flag.

Hundreds of people had staked out spots at the 3,200-acre (1,295-hectare) privately run park by noon on Saturday for nighttime laser and fireworks shows. They shrugged off heavy rain on the park's busiest day of the year as well as the boycott call.

Democratic state Representative LaDawn Blackett Jones this week urged people to stay away from the park 10 miles (16 km) east of Atlanta because it flies three flags of the pro-slavery Confederacy alongside the U.S. and Georgia state flags.

Who the hell listens to a person named "Ladawn Blackett Jones" ?

Link

I've been there quite a few times when I would visit my Mom in Georgia. The place is packed every weekend. The Laser light show is awesome. No boycott will ever shut that place down.
I suppose some stupid liberal will want General Lee scraped off the side of the mountain next.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - BlueTiki - 07-09-2015

(07-05-2015, 09:05 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I suppose some stupid liberal will want General Lee scraped off the side of the mountain next.

So . . . that's where the Duke boys crashed it! Sarcastic

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - FAHQTOO - 07-09-2015

(07-09-2015, 07:43 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 09:05 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I suppose some stupid liberal will want General Lee scraped off the side of the mountain next.

So . . . that's where the Duke boys crashed it! Sarcastic

Ha!...never even thought of that.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - blueberryhill - 07-09-2015

I am running out of steam and family issues prohibit more postings at this time, but sometimes I just have to open my mouth....
I talk until I am blue in the face (you know the oxygen deprivation I have)..so will be slowing down.

I watched the movie "Lincoln" last evening and the "surrender" of the South was filled with more dignity than most of us on these discussion forums. General Lee tipped his hat and rode off into the sunset. Lincoln wanted it that way, because he wanted the Confederacy back in the fold. I was almost in tears, but a scene in the movie stuck out and reflects our "progress" here in the US.

The Senate had already approved amendment on slavery amendment, but House was dragging their heels, and debating, etc....One Congressman stood up and asked what they would do with the "colored folks" if they were relased from slavery....voting rights came up....Nope they didn't want that. Another Congressman mentioned that if they gave the colored folks right to vote, then they would have to extend that right to women. A majority of the Congressmen rose to their respective feet, and echoed a resounding NO...... No women or colored folk need right to vote in 1865 politics...and look up how long it took to get that right for both. I am too lazy, but think it was 1918 for women, not sure about Black vote.

I had to keep "rewinding" movie and starting over, cuz I kept falling asleep so I can't say what party was in the majority as to yes votes. It wasn't really the issue as much as Union versus Confederate Congressmen, of course.....Both parties have changed platform and philosophies since then at any rate......

When i leave my purse on the floor, my dog likes to pull things out and chew, etc on them. She just got a $5.00 scratch ticket winner which she is starting to chew up so better sign off.

Oh, one more thing, can't remember where I read it, but yes, you can learn logic 101; took it myself at U of Colorado in 1953....but I find life's experiences, etc., emotions, etc. have more to do with our individual decisions....but anyone should be able to put something on the table and have a logical discussion based on the facts alone (like detectives do). I do think common sense should override some of the shit the "critical" thinkers espouse at times. Deciding whether someone should live or die or if you are sitting on my jury (I have been accused of murder).....yeah, I'll take one of them there logical and critical thinkers, not those crazy emotional thinkers. Jeez.....just because someone killed their relative, doesn't mean I am guilty of murder. But I also see how an emotional thinker could let a guilty person go free because they lack critical thinking and common sense. I won't mention any names, but starts with OJ which brings me to last issue, Mr. Bill Cosby is still a POS......Think I used logical thinking before the recent announcement of him giving women drugs in 2005. Oh whatever, Cheers to all!

(07-09-2015, 09:02 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: ....but I find life's experiences, etc., emotions, etc. have more to do with our individual decisions....but anyone should be able to put something on the table and have a logical discussion based on the facts alone (like detectives do).

I do think common sense should override some of the shit the "critical" thinkers espouse at times.

Mr. Bill Cosby is still a POS......

I'm not sure what is your definition of critical thinking.

To me, critical thinking comes from applying reason and logic to unfamiliar or uncomfortable situations with a (for lack of a better term) open minded approach that might end in a result contrary to personal beliefs and emotional attachment.

One should identify preconceived notions, bias and outcomes to allow themselves to empathize with opposing views.

The same applies when "researching" and interpreting data.

Unless it's Whoopie Goldberg still defending Bill Cosby.

Then just give her the finger and mutter "dumb nigger".

My brother once told me: Sometimes the best response to an intellectual argument is "Fuck You!".

Works for me.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - HairOfTheDog - 07-09-2015

The South Carolina Congress voted to remove the Confederate Flag from the Columbia state capitol grounds today. The flag will be lowered and moved to a museum tomorrow at 10 a.m.

I'm glad. That flag didn't start being flown on the capitol grounds of some southern states until the 1960s, when the same states which had fought to keep slavery in-tact and blacks regarded as property were protesting against civil rights for blacks and racial desegregation.

For the century between the Civil War and the black Civil Rights movement, it had only been flown at separate war memorials, displayed in historical museums, and been flown/displayed by private citizens or businesses on their own persons/properties, if they so desired. As it should be.

It does not bother me one bit that the catalyst for the Confederate Flag finally being removed from the South Carolina state capitol grounds in July 2015 was the murder of nine innocent black church-goers by a piece of shit white supremacist. Outside of governmental capacities, I don't care who sees it as what and what they do with it.

"This is a story about the history of South Carolina and how the action of nine individuals laid out this long chain of events that forever showed the state of South Carolina what love and forgiveness looks like," Governor Haley said after signing the bill into law with 9 pens (one for each victim of last month's racially-motivated murders).

Story: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/09/us/south-carolina-confederate-battle-flag/

(07-09-2015, 09:29 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: That flag didn't start being flown on the capitol grounds of some southern states until the 1960s, when the same states which had fought to keep slavery in-tact and blacks regarded as property were protesting against civil rights for blacks and racial desegregation.

Didn't it start flying to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the start of Civil War?

(07-09-2015, 09:02 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: Oh, one more thing, can't remember where I read it, but yes, you can learn logic 101; took it myself at U of Colorado in 1953....but I find life's experiences, etc., emotions, etc. have more to do with our individual decisions....but anyone should be able to put something on the table and have a logical discussion based on the facts alone (like detectives do). I do think common sense should override some of the shit the "critical" thinkers espouse at times. Deciding whether someone should live or die or if you are sitting on my jury (I have been accused of murder).....yeah, I'll take one of them there logical and critical thinkers, not those crazy emotional thinkers. Jeez.....just because someone killed their relative, doesn't mean I am guilty of murder. But I also see how an emotional thinker could let a guilty person go free because they lack critical thinking and common sense. I won't mention any names, but starts with OJ which brings me to last issue, Mr. Bill Cosby is still a POS......Think I used logical thinking before the recent announcement of him giving women drugs in 2005. Oh whatever, Cheers to all!

I wondered where you were. Good to see you.

Critical thinking doesn't mean one has to be void of emotion. It only means that one considers and analyzes objectively before jumping to or sticking to a point/position/conclusion.

Whether you like it or not, you're generally a critical thinker blueberry, IMO.

I haven't seen Lincoln yet, but it's on my list.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - blueberryhill - 07-09-2015

(07-09-2015, 09:28 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 09:02 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: ....but I find life's experiences, etc., emotions, etc. have more to do with our individual decisions....but anyone should be able to put something on the table and have a logical discussion based on the facts alone (like detectives do).

I do think common sense should override some of the shit the "critical" thinkers espouse at times.

Mr. Bill Cosby is still a POS......

I'm not sure what is your definition of critical thinking. I dunno know what my definition is.

To me, critical thinking comes from applying reason and logic to unfamiliar or uncomfortable situations with a (for lack of a better term) open minded approach that might end in a result contrary to personal beliefs and emotional attachment.

One should identify preconceived notions, bias and outcomes to allow themselves to empathize with opposing views.

The same applies when "researching" and interpreting data.

Unless it's Whoopie Goldberg still defending Bill Cosby.

Then just give her the finger and mutter "dumb nigger".

My brother once told me: Sometimes the best response to an intellectual argument is "Fuck You!".

Works for me.

BT, I wasn't trying to define critical thinking; I was trying to say how we use all sorts of thinking methods to arrive at a decision.....If we all were critical thinkers, then we wouldn't have such chaos... and I just had a teeny tiny glass of Moscato.....

I was also completely taken off guard, when Whoopie, Champion of all injustices, defended Cosby. I even called her a hypocrite on my FB page.

I am too old for intelligent arguments. Most of the time, people have to remind me what I was talking about......

My closing advice is remember O.J.'s jury had a bias directed toward Law Enforcement and that is why he was found not guilty but he is now in jail so hope he stays there forever.

(07-09-2015, 09:36 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 09:29 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: That flag didn't start being flown on the capitol grounds of some southern states until the 1960s, when the same states which had fought to keep slavery in-tact and blacks regarded as property were protesting against civil rights for blacks and racial desegregation.

Didn't it start flying to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the start of Civil War?

To the best of my knowledge, it hadn't been flown in that capacity for previous anniversaries. And, in South Carolina, it wasn't taken down after the 100th anniversary.

It's my opinion that the states' opposition and resistance to desegregation, freedom rides, and various other civil rights movements in full swing at the time had a lot to do with why the Confederate flag was erected in governmental capacities in the South.

For 100 years the Confederate Flag was equally part of the south's "heritage", but didn't become a wide-spread symbol of it until the Dixiecrats, the Civil Rights movement, and then the 100 year anniversary of the Civil War? I don't personally believe the 100th anniversary was the primary or only reason the flag was erected on state grounds and kept flying afterwards.

Alabama removed the Confederate Flag from the capitol after 100th anniversary celebration. Two years later, it put it back up. I'm glad it was recently removed there as well.

I understand if you and others view it differently.

(07-09-2015, 10:41 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: I am too old for intelligent arguments. Most of the time, people have to remind me what I was talking about......

Too funny!

I still blame F. Lee Bailey for claiming Mark Fuhrman was a racist and allowing OJ to walk.

(07-09-2015, 10:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I understand if you and others view it differently.

It was just a question.

It was my understanding the flag hadn't flown continuously until the 100th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.

I have no emotional investment in the Stars and Bars, have never considered it as an exclusive and predominant symbol of racism or slavery.

However, if the Confederacy stood for slavery and white supremacy, why stop with the flag?

Do we need to wait for another nutfuck racial killer holding a Dixie Chicks CD or a Rebel gas station soda cup?

Or in a picture holding the Bible and wearing a 49ers jersey?

It was just a complete answer Tiki. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Followed by an acknowledgment that I understand that people view it differently.

Historians don't all concur; it's not surprising that not all of us would either.

Fuck it . . . you know me.

What time is it . . . not watch building.

Besides, I'm now really pissed I bought Dixie paper products, for this trip, because it makes me a racist.

Worst of all, I purchased them at a Wynn Dixie market.

My sweet tea tastes bitter in this cup.

If you're also listening to New Orleans jazz, whistling it, and fixing to watch Designing Women...

You might be a racist.

I guess Elvis was too!

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - username - 07-10-2015

I'm still not sure, given all the atrocities committed under the US flag, why there isn't a movement to take it down. The internment of Japanese Americans during WWII, the controversial wars in the Middle East, torture, Guantanamo. Maybe 20 years from now or so, people will look at that flag and decide IT'S politically in correct.

I don't know if it's true but I googled ISIL flag and one snarky answer came up "you can buy an ISIL flag off eBay or from Amazon now but not a confederate flag". If true...go figure.