Mock
THE REBEL FLAG - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Whatever Junk (https://mockforums.net/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: We Don't Give A Fuck About This Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: THE REBEL FLAG (/thread-11932.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - HairOfTheDog - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 11:49 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: So if the little bastard didn't murder 9 bible study members, the Stars and Bars would have come down this week?

I guess I do believe in coincidence.

That's not what I said.

I think that people's responses to the changes going down depend a lot on how they viewed the flag topic long before the shooting last week.

I have no doubt that last week's shooting was the catalyst for the changes, the timing of the changes at least.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - BlueTiki - 06-25-2015

(06-24-2015, 11:52 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I have no doubt that last week's shooting was the catalyst for the changes, the timing of the changes at least.

Thank God!

I get confused with the whole time and watch building thing, sometimes.

Without this massacre, those flags would still be flying . . . regardless if over half of goddamned South Carolina and Alabama silently thought they were definitive symbols of racism and white supremacy.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - HairOfTheDog - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 12:48 AM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 11:52 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I have no doubt that last week's shooting was the catalyst for the changes, the timing of the changes at least.

Thank God!

I get confused with the whole time and watch building thing, sometimes.

Without this massacre, those flags would still be flying . . . regardless if over half of goddamned South Carolina and Alabama silently thought they were definitive symbols of racism and white supremacy.

I don't know if over 12 the goddamned people in those states acknowledge that the Confederate Flag is a definitive symbol of racism or not Tiki. I'd guess that a good portion of them who do acknowledge it either like what it historically stands for or just don't care.

But, some of the many who acknowledge its historical symbolism do care. It's not like the flying of the Confederate flag in official capacities is a new sore spot for many or a controversy that suddenly developed as a result of last week's shooting.

It's too bad that it took a racially-motivated mass murder in a church to spur change, but it's not really surprising to me. Sometimes life-altering and deadly incidents spur change and what some consider to be progress.

I respect that a lot of people have their own view of what that flag symbolizes and a different opinion about the fact that it's being taken down from some states' capitol grounds. If they feel passionately enough opposed to the change, I expect they'll rebel against it, petition, organize and protest, not vote again for the leaders who are directing the changes, etc... In any case, they'll live without the Confederate Flag flying over governmental grounds just like those who have always opposed its proud display have lived with it for a century and a half.

And the beat goes on...

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - Duchess - 06-25-2015

MS, how do you feel about the petition going around to change the name of your state's Lake Calhoun? The lake is named after John Calhoun who was a champion of slavery and state's rights.

I know I'm in the minority but I think this is all bullshit. On one level I feel like people are trying to hide history. The confederate flag was hidden from mourner's view yesterday. I'm tired and fed up with this PC crap, maybe I'd feel differently if I were black. When is it going to end. Jesus.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - cannongal - 06-25-2015

(06-20-2015, 09:58 PM)Maggot Wrote: I like Lynyrd Skynyrd

I saw Skynyrd & Hank Jr in concert together somewhere in Georgia back in '94. Their backdrop was a confederate flag, all the merchandise had the confederate flag on it. I think the whole damn venue was decked out in confederate flags.
Sweet concert though.

(06-23-2015, 02:46 PM)Jimbone Wrote: I support them because at a young age I spent time at a Civll War battlefield (Gettysburg), and I think it was there I developed a real love of all history. I want to make sure other little bones have the same chance years from now. [/color][/i]

Were your parents historical actors? Battle Re-enactors? My family participates in the Revolutionary war re-enactments around here from time to time.

(06-23-2015, 03:17 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Old Southerners (some) hate Yankees. Only good manners prevents them from spitting at your feet.

Best dog I ever owned came from Alabama. When the first hubby and I were stationed at Ft Benning, he was out field exercises for 3 weeks out of the month. I decided a dog was better than a baseball bat, so I answered an ad for free puppies. After driving into East Bumfuck Alabama (alone like an idiot) somewhere in the woods, I found the shack that someone called home. I introduced myself to the old guy that was on the porch, and the first words out of his mouth were "you's a yankee ain'tcha?" I was 22 at the time and just about shit a twinkie.

Best dog ever, though-damn I miss her

(06-24-2015, 03:44 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I just saw a rebel flag on Ebay going for a thousand dollars.

You can get a rebel flag bikini for $22.95 Free shipping too! hah

[Image: 171786491316_7.jpg]

(06-25-2015, 07:20 AM)cannongal Wrote: and just about shit a twinkie.

hah I really like that expression.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - crash - 06-25-2015

They should have made the X a little lower if they wanted it to mark the spot

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - JsMom - 06-25-2015

Shit is hitting the fan here in Tn. Everything in this town, I live in, is named after Nathan Bedford Forrest. He grew up just up the street (about 12 mile) from my house. Curious to see if they change the name of the middle/high school and remove the rebel flag like everywhere else. Not that I give two shits either way.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - F.U. - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 07:27 AM)crash Wrote: They should have made the X a little lower if they wanted it to mark the spot

I like the way you think Crash.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - Cutz - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 07:20 AM)cannongal Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 03:44 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I just saw a rebel flag on Ebay going for a thousand dollars.

You can get a rebel flag bikini for $22.95 Free shipping too! hah

A guy on another board told us he "invested" 1100 bucks for a South Carolina State House building's confederate flag.

(06-24-2015, 05:34 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Some here are in denial that the Confederate flag stands for anything but racism and white supremacy. To fool yourself into believing it's anything but that is comical.
I think you're in denial over how patronizing you are to black people. Racism and white supremacy aren't even the basic principle of what the flag stands for. The flag represents Southerners' hatred of the North. Does the south still have prejudice against black people? Yes. Much like many people in the North. Does anyone use the rebel flag to show it? No. They just call black people niggers and complain about affirmative action. The south uses the rebel flag to remind everyone up north of that time they all got together and shot us.

The Dukes of Hazzard weren't driving around in their Confed marked Lee looking for black people to run over. They were just being outlaws. Rebels. Stickin it to the man. Because people in the south have a prisoner complex over losing a civil war. My in laws are all through KY and Atlanta... you actually remind me of Southern people MS. Both you and they think they know more than the people they're talking to, and that everyone else is wrong. "Bless your heart." With subtle subversive undertones through everything you say.

RE: THE REBEL FLAG - Jimbone - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 07:20 AM)cannongal Wrote: Were your parents historical actors? Battle Re-enactors? My family participates in the Revolutionary war re-enactments around here from time to time.

No, we just went out to Mechanicsburg to visit some friends, and to keep the kids quiet someone took us to Gettysburg for the day. I was probably 6 or 7, but somehow it struck me that I was walking on the same ground and touching the same places where history was made. Loved history ever since.

(06-25-2015, 07:20 AM)cannongal Wrote: You can get a rebel flag bikini for $22.95 Free shipping too! hah

I'm thinking you should buy one, model it, and post some pictures.

Out of respect for the Old South of course, and the wonderful pup it gave you hah

Great post, cutz!

God bless your pea picking little ol' heart.

That damned MS is just . . . common.

The outrage monster is never satisfied... it just changes targets. This is ridiculous:

Apple Removes All American Civil War Games From the App Store Because of the Confederate Flag

It's looking like Apple has pulled everything from the App Store that features a Confederate flag, regardless of context. The reasoning Apple is sending developers is "...because it includes images of the confederate flag used in offensive and mean-spirited ways." We just spoke with Andrew from HexWar Games, who have released many historical strategy games. He insists, "We're in no way sympathetic to the use of the flag in an offensive way, we used it purely because historically that was the flag that was used at the time."

We just received a statement from Maxim Zasov of Game Labs, the developers of Ultimate General: Gettysburg. It is as follows:

"We accept Apple's decision and understand that this is a sensitive issue for the American Nation. We wanted our game to be the most accurate, historical, playable reference of the Battle of Gettysburg. All historical commanders, unit composition and weaponry, key geographical locations to the smallest streams or farms are recreated in our game's battlefield.

We receive a lot of letters of gratitude from American teachers who use our game in history curriculum to let kids experience one of the most important battles in American history from the Commander's perspective.

Spielberg’s "Schindler's List" did not try to amend his movie to look more comfortable. The historical "Gettysburg" movie (1993) is still on iTunes. We believe that all historical art forms: books, movies, or games such as ours, help to learn and understand history, depicting events as they were. True stories are more important to us than money.

Therefore we are not going to amend the game's content and Ultimate General: Gettysburg will no longer be available on AppStore. We really hope that Apple’s decision will achieve the desired results. We can’t change history, but we can change the future."

Ultimate General: Gettysburg wasn't alone in focusing on tasteful, historical accuracy. The vast majority of the Civil War strategy games I've played on my iPad put massive amounts of emphasis on focusing on the historical significance of the battles, units, locations, and generals included. We've also heard that these types of games have been used as teaching tools, making their removal from the App Store feel that much more reactionary.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-confederate-flag/

Alrighty. This has all crossed over into stupid land now.

[Image: BanAllTheThings.jpg]

I don't support any of this. It's turned into a fricken joke.

Well . . . Arizona is now being pressured to remove any and all references to their loathsome racial ties to the Confederacy.

The Mason Dixon Line, between BG and me, is Picacho Peak. This is allegedly the westernmost location of a Civil War skirmish. By all accounts, nothing noteworthy strategically and ended in a draw.

Picacho Peak has a small maker indicating a Civil War battle happened at this location.

A young representative of the black community ( I believe a pastor) is now calling for the removal of this marker as it celebrates the Confederacy and racism.

Remember . . . this is just marker stating a Civil War battle was fought here . . . like Gettysburg.

I guess the WWII memorials will now be attacked as reminding all of us of the horror of genocide.

Let's burn the concentration camps, too.

I don't want to be reminded of the horrors of white on white hatred.

Social justice warriors are on the march Tiki, there's no stopping them now... they're just following the playbook.

I don't want to sound like a drama hag but this is moving into dangerous territory now.

Yup, JB.

And my previous post said "maker" instead of "marker". Poor proof reading and phone touch pad.

Broadway road . . . yup, just like NY's Great White Way (because actors are gay racists) is now under attack in the Phoenix Metro area.

Seems there was a Confederate general named Broadway and now a vocal black community member is demanding it be changed due to its blatant intent to honor a racist and his ideology.

I'm wondering if the Chinese will be pressured to change the surname Lee to something racially neutral . . . like Ree?