Mock
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: POLITICS (https://mockforums.net/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES (/thread-12335.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-03-2018

The Evangelicals are still all in on Kavanaugh. But, today the National Coalition of Churches (NCC), the nation's largest with over 40 denominations, called for the withdrawal of Judge Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court.

The NCC statement cited a number of reasons for the demand, including Kavanaugh’s behavior during his recent testimony in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“Judge Kavanaugh exhibited extreme partisan bias and disrespect towards certain members of the committee and thereby demonstrated that he possesses neither the temperament nor the character essential for a member of the highest court in our nation,” the statement read.

The NCC letter noted that Kavanaugh testified to  “several misstatements and some outright falsehoods.”

The group also pointed to what they called Kavanaugh’s “troubling” judicial and political record on some civil rights issues.

“Judge Kavanaugh’s extensive judicial and political record is troubling with regard to issues of voting rights, racial and gender justice, health care, the rights of people with disabilities, and environmental protections,” they wrote.

“This leads us to believe that he cannot be an impartial justice in cases that are sure to come before him at the Court.”

Full story:  https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/409775-national-council-of-churches-calls-for-kavanaughs-nomination-to

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Maggot - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 06:18 PM)Duchess Wrote: So..this investigation will conclude without the two key players being interviewed. Mmm'k 78

It's not a criminal trial they both have already made their statements.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - sally - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 09:03 AM)Maggot Wrote: Kavenaughs writing is horrible, how could anyone be a Supreme court Justice with that kind of writing!!!!    54     

Well his penmanship isn't that great, but you have to admit the content is what is embarrassing. He seemed like a spoiled little immature punk then and he still acts like one. Just admit it already.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Maggot - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 08:09 PM)sally Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 09:03 AM)Maggot Wrote: Kavenaughs writing is horrible, how could anyone be a Supreme court Justice with that kind of writing!!!!    54     

Well his penmanship isn't that great, but you have to admit the content is what is embarrassing. He seemed like a spoiled little immature punk then and he still acts like one. Just admit it already.

Back then what was he 18-19? Sure he was a dope. I don't think he acts like a nerdy bitch now but his performance was a bit goofy. I bet he was tired as all hell. 

I think I'm done with stupid politics for a bit, not because of anything developing just because I think they are all insane.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - pyropappy - 10-03-2018

McConnell  just filed cloture vote. 

that usually means he has the votes

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 07:03 PM)Fry Guy Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 01:18 PM)Duchess Wrote: I need to remind you, again, that Gorsuch got through with no problem.

This means NOTHING. NOTHING at all. Roberts was a swinging voter. Scalia was hardline. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are both considered hardliners by Liberals/Democrats. So no point made, at all.

That's not correct.

Chief Justice Roberts is not leaving the Supreme Court.   

Kavanaugh has been nominated to fill the seat of retired Reagan-appointed Justice Kennedy.  And, I can't picture Anthony Kennedy being a swinger (perhaps because I'd just rather not).

Kennedy typically ruled in line with the other conservative judges.  However, he did agree and vote with the liberal judges on social issues, like gay rights, more than the other current Justices.  

So, he was labeled the 'swing vote' on the Supreme Court, a term he hated because he said he simply voted on the merits of the case rather than partisan bias/loyalty.

All Supreme Court Justices promise under oath to render objective decisions based on the case facts rather than partisan or ideological bias/loyalty.   Kavanaugh promised to do the same during his nomination hearings.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - BigMark - 10-03-2018

well he's obviously a liar and serially rapist and those are his good points.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-04-2018

A letter from 1,000 law professors of different backgrounds has been submitted to the Senate.  It opposes the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh.

Snip:
Judicial temperament is one of the most important qualities of a judge. As the Congressional Research Service explains, a judge requires “a personality that is even-handed, unbiased, impartial, courteous yet firm, and dedicated to a process, not a result.” 

The concern for judicial temperament dates back to our founding; in Federalist 78, titled “Judges as Guardians of the Constitution,” Alexander Hamilton expressed the need for “the integrity and moderation of the judiciary.”

The question at issue was of course painful for anyone. But Judge Kavanaugh exhibited a lack of commitment to judicious inquiry. Instead of being open to the necessary search for accuracy, Judge Kavanaugh was repeatedly aggressive with questioners. 

Even in his prepared remarks, Judge Kavanaugh described the hearing as partisan, referring to it as “a calculated and orchestrated political hit,” rather than acknowledging the need for the Senate, faced with new information, to try to understand what had transpired. 

As you know, under two statutes governing bias and recusal, judges must step aside if they are at risk of being perceived as or of being unfair.

We have differing views about the other qualifications of Judge Kavanaugh. But we are united, as professors of law and scholars of judicial institutions, in believing that he did not display the impartiality and judicial temperament requisite to sit on the highest court of our land.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/us/politics/trump-republicans-kavanaugh-confirmation.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 10-04-2018

He is in. You can do an autopsy on the narrative all you like you can say how wrong and unfair and whatever else. I will tell you something though any chance of him ever being even-handed when it comes to Progressive agendas or interests or Media rights or Democrats treatment has been put to the sword by the viciousness shown to him and his family

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Duchess - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 12:13 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: A letter from 1,000 law professors of different backgrounds has been submitted to the Senate.  It opposes the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh.
There's been a shit ton of people who have come out in opposition of kavanaugh.

I think that referring to the past few days as an investigation is ridiculous. trump & company dictated who could be talked to. Such a farce. 78

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - BigMark - 10-04-2018

Where's my $20?

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Duchess - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 11:24 AM)BigMark Wrote: Where's my $20?
I didn't make a bet with you.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 11:31 AM)Duchess Wrote:
I didn't make a bet with you.

I don't think anyone did.

I asked Biggie last week whether he'd bet on Kavanaugh getting confirmed or rejected, and he indicated that the left would make sure he didn't get confirmed.

Confirmation is looking highly likely, to me.  But, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.   We'll know Saturday whether Biggie was right about Kavanaugh getting rejected.

(10-04-2018, 11:36 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Confirmation is looking highly likely, to me.  

Yeah, to me too and I have very mixed feelings about it. I think he's completely unsuitable to sit on the Supreme Court, that's not going to change but if he is confirmed
Americans are going to be jacked up for November and his confirmation may allow the Senate to be taken by Democrats.

It'll be interesting to see how the Kavanaugh controversy impacts the mid-terms, if that's even discernible.

For the last couple of months, the Democrats have had a 10+ lead across polls in terms of voter enthusiasm and odds of taking back the House.

But, polls taken after the Ford and Kavanaugh testimony show the Republican enthusiasm almost catching up to Democrats and the Democrats' point lead declining. The Democrats are still favored to take the House, but not as strongly.

I hope the Democrats don't get complacent or overplay their hand in the next 33 days.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - BigMark - 10-04-2018

It tightened up the Republican voters.

(10-04-2018, 01:34 PM)BigMark Wrote: It tightened up the Republican voters.

It seems to have fired them up. 

But, it might be difficult to sustain that Republican voter enthusiasm if Kavanaugh gets confirmed, whereas Kavanaugh's confirmation would very likely further fire up the enthusiasm and thus the voter turn-out for Democrats and female Independents.  

The political strategists for both parties are no doubt very busy these days.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - pyropappy - 10-04-2018

Is it stuck to your ass?

oops, wrong thread

(10-04-2018, 12:13 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: A letter from 1,000 law professors of different backgrounds has been submitted to the Senate.  It opposes the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh.
It's up to 1700 now. Has this ever been done before? I don't expect you to go research that, just wondering if maybe you know off hand.