Mock
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: POLITICS (https://mockforums.net/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES (/thread-12335.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 10-04-2018

Kavanaugh will get over 51 votes and Democrats will not take the Senate and probably not House either. Sometime in the next month or so Trump will declassify the FISA docs and this will impact the Democrat base big time.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 03:10 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 12:13 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: A letter from 1,000 law professors of different backgrounds has been submitted to the Senate.  It opposes the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh.
It's up to 1700 now. Has this ever been done before? I don't expect you to go research that, just wondering if maybe you know off hand.

I don’t know for sure, but I’ve never seen anything like it.

Clarence Thomas was incensed and called the Anita Hill hearings a ‘high tech lynching’. Pulling the race card turned off some of the senators at the time and probably some law professors.

But, Thomas didn’t lose his shit or display partisan hostility. So, I don’t believe his testimony prompted a large coalition of law professors, churches and universities to publicly object to to his confirmation due to temperament and partisan bias concerns.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 05:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 03:10 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 12:13 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: A letter from 1,000 law professors of different backgrounds has been submitted to the Senate.  It opposes the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh.
It's up to 1700 now. Has this ever been done before? I don't expect you to go research that, just wondering if maybe you know off hand.

I don’t know for sure, but I’ve never seen anything like it.

Clarence Thomas was incensed and called the Anita Hill hearings a ‘high tech lynching’. Pulling the race card turned off some of the senators at the time and probably some law professors.

But, Thomas didn’t lose his shit or display partisan hostility. So, I don’t believe his testimony prompted a large coalition of law professors, churches and universities to publicly object to to his confirmation due to temperament and partisan bias concerns.

So Thomas reacted differently to Democrats going for the smear on his confirmation....so what?
Does not make Kavanaugh unfit and will not prevent his confirmation. So what is the upshot?

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - BigMark - 10-04-2018

It's amazing, he only sexually harassed democrats.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-04-2018

Former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens Rescinds Support of Kavanaugh

Speaking at an event for retirees in Boca Raton, Florida, Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens was asked his opinion on Kavanaugh today.

[Image: newsEngin.23171562_100518-Supreme-Court-Talk-gsl-06.jpg]

Stevens ^, a lifelong Republican who served on the Supreme Court for 35 years, said that he actually praised one of Kavanaugh's decision in his 2014 book "Six Amendments: How and Why We Should Change the Condition."

"At that time, I thought (Kavanaugh) had the qualifications for the Supreme Court should he be selected," Stevens said.

"I've changed my views for reasons that have no relationship to his intellectual ability...I feel his performance in the hearings ultimately changed my mind."  

Stevens  said Kavanaugh does not have the necessary judicious temperament and his inflammatory remarks could necessitate him being recused from many cases brought to the Supreme Court.

Ref: https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/retired-supreme-court-justice-kavanaugh-does-not-belong-high-court/aXEO6XTeiF8OECimtNxpjJ/

Red State Swing-Vote Senator to Vote "No" on Kavanaugh

[Image: heitkampheidi_071818gn_lead.jpg?itok=oAutvxmb]

^ Heidi Heitkamp was one of the Dem swing votes the Republican Senate was courting for a 'yes' on Kavanaugh.  

She represents North Dakota, a state that Trump won by huge margins in 2016, and she's up for re-election this year.  

Like Justice Stevens, Heitkamp voiced her concerns about Kavanaugh's temperament today and told her local radio station that she's a 'no' on Kavanaugh.  She also said she believes Dr. Ford.  

Heitcamp may well lose her Senate seat in November for so doing, but she's voting her conscience. Good on her.

Ref:  https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409948-heitkamp-to-vote-no-on-kavanaugh

Kavanaugh Goes Public In Response to Unprecedented Opposition to his Confirmation

After Heitkamp's and Stevens' rebukes, an Op-Ed piece by Kavanaugh was published in the Wall Street Journal.  

In it, Kavanaugh contends:

-- he  might have been too emotional in his testimony last Thursday,
-- he was concerned for his wife and children,
--  his high school misbehavior was exaggerated,
-- he will be a different person/judge on the Supreme Court than he was in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee last Thursday, etc.  

Source:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/10/05/kavanaugh-i-said-things-i-should-not-have-said-during-senate-testimony/?utm_term=.7378776094d3

As far as I'm concerned, that's just attempted rationalization for the irrational views and words he angrily bellowed in his pre-planned and self-written opening statement.  He did not apologize nor did he take responsibility for his own words/actions.

So, I still agree with Senator Heitkamp, Justice Stevens,  and the 2,400 law professors of various political backgrounds who have now implored the Senate to reject Judge Kavanaugh for the good of the country and the integrity of the Supreme Court.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - BigMark - 10-04-2018

https://www.dailywire.com/news/36667/breaking-democratic-aide-arrested-doxxing-ben-shapiro

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Rootilda - 10-04-2018

One Democrat does something wrong, they're all guilty. Is that what you're saying ?

Yes, you're so fucking brilliant.

It was a valid question Biggie.

Are you simply posting the news that a former Democratic aide and complete asshole committed a crime during the hearing and (fortunately) got busted/arrested for it today?

Or, are you somehow attempting to tie that to your belief that Kavanaugh deserves to be confirmed?

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - BigMark - 10-05-2018

Do you have to have some forethought to post a link you found that kinda pertains to the thread?

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 12:01 AM)BigMark Wrote: Do you have to have some forethought to post a link you found that kinda pertains to the thread?

No you don't.  But since you posted a link without any comment, I don't see why you got all butthurt when people actually read it and asked for context/intent.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Duchess - 10-05-2018

(10-04-2018, 11:35 PM)Rootilda Wrote: One Democrat does something wrong, they're all guilty.  Is that what you're saying ?

Typical trump lover mindset.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Duchess - 10-05-2018

(10-04-2018, 05:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Thomas didn’t lose his shit or display partisan hostility.

...and those partisan remarks were in his written notes, he didn't just lose his shit in the heat of the moment, they were in his prepared
remarks!

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 06:48 AM)I Duchess Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 05:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Thomas didn’t lose his shit or display partisan hostility.

...and those partisan remarks were in his written notes, he didn't just lose his shit in the heat of the moment, they were in his prepared
remarks!

I really think that Kavanaugh and company figured he was toast after Dr. Ford’s testimony, so he decided to pull a Trump.  But, like him or not, there’s only one Trump and Trump too lacks the temperament and objectivity to serve on the Supreme Court.

Lindsey’s livid support saved Kavanaugh and turned the hearing into a partisan showdown instead of an interview like that which Dr. Ford had just undergone, in my opinion.  

Now Kavanaugh is trying to rationalize his blatant partisanship by claiming righteous indignation and only thinking of the impacts of the allegations on his family.  

In the WSJ op-Ed, he said he was testifying as a “son, husband, and father”.  Even if true, that’s part of my concern with Kavanaugh. He should have been testifying as a federal judge interviewing for a seat on the Supreme Court, and he should have done so honestly.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - BigMark - 10-05-2018

Lock her up!

(10-05-2018, 08:21 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: He should have been testifying as a federal judge interviewing for a seat on the Supreme Court, and he should have done so honestly.

It was unnerving to see a judge acting so emotional. Along with the lying, that is what has stuck in my mind the most.
I don't want emotion guiding any judge.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 08:21 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I really think ....

I really do not believe this is true (at least when it comes to Political news)

I'm listening to that old bastard Chuck Grassley lecturing & moralizing about giving fair consideration to a nominee. Bitch, please. Merrick Garland you old cocksucka.