Mock
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: POLITICS (https://mockforums.net/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES (/thread-12335.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 09-18-2018

Ford is already facing a shitload of disparagement.  She has a tough road to hoe in coming forward, no doubt about it.  I fully understand her hesitation and believe that agreeing to take a lie detector test and passing it works in her favor in terms of added credibility.  

Since I haven't heard Ford nor Kavanaugh tell their stories and answers questions about Ford's allegations, I don't have a firm opinion at this point.

One thing I know for sure.............Senator Orrin Hatch isn't qualified to credibly declare that "the woman's mixed up" simply because he likes Kavanaugh and he apparently hasn't evolved an iota since his Anita Hill days (though he does seem a little less ignorant and gossipy than Maggot in these kinds of cases).

Anyway, even if  both Ford and Kavanaugh testify, there very likely won't be hard evidence available to present -- it often doesn't exist in these types of cases, even in criminal courts after thorough investigations have been conducted.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 09-18-2018

Absence hard evidence, Kavanaugh's SCOTUS viability will likely be determined by the judgments of millions of individuals in the court of public opinion and how most of the voting senators believe it will affect their careers, in my opinion.

I think it makes sense to have the FBI or an independent investigator go back and look into Kavanaugh's relationships with women specifically -- deeper and more focused background screen. If there's nothing there and the allegation by Ford is an isolated incident, then the conservatives and objective viewers can feel more confident about his qualifications. If additional concerning background is uncovered, then the President has the option to pull his nomination or leave it to the senate to decide.

I don't see how taking a couple of weeks to look into it could be viewed as an effective 'delay tactic' by the Dems. The Supreme Court is able to decide cases now and until the next SCOTUS judge is confirmed. We went a full year minus a judge after Justice Scalia died.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 09-19-2018

He is a shoe in

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Maggot - 09-19-2018

If this was not a delay tactic and a womans rights issue Feinstien would be going after Kieth Ellison.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Ski at 1SKY6 - 09-19-2018

(09-18-2018, 08:47 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Ford is already facing a shitload of disparagement.  She has a tough road to hoe in coming forward, no doubt about it.  I fully understand her hesitation and believe that agreeing to take a lie detector test and passing it works in her favor in terms of added credibility.   

Anyway, even if  both Ford and Kavanaugh testify, there very likely won't be hard evidence available to present -- it often doesn't exist in these types of cases, even in criminal courts after thorough investigations have been conducted.

I want Ford to testify, no matter how she does it. Her not testifying would add credibility to her detractor's arguments and only further their entrenched opinions to move forward with the Kavanaugh appointment. I hope she has some blockbuster evidence like Monica's dress or can describe in detail the HARD evidence.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 09-19-2018

Well, maybe the ongoing offers and counter offers will result in Ford testifying on Monday under mutually agreeable terms.

I'd like to see President Trump authorize a specific enhanced background check before then, but that doesn't appear likely.

Anyway, I'm sure you're right that Ford's detractors are using her current unwillingness to appear without any such investigation against her.

On the other hand, those who support her and those who are undecided pending more information probably view the fact that she's asking for professional investigation of her allegation to be another indicator that she's likely telling the truth.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Duchess - 09-19-2018

It's only fair to do some investigating and I want people on the record. I don't feel that's a lot to ask.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 09-19-2018

(09-19-2018, 01:17 PM)Ski at 1SKY6 Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 08:47 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Ford is already facing a shitload of disparagement.  She has a tough road to hoe in coming forward, no doubt about it.  I fully understand her hesitation and believe that agreeing to take a lie detector test and passing it works in her favor in terms of added credibility.   

I want Ford to testify, no matter how she does it. Her not testifying would add credibility to her detractor's arguments and only further their entrenched opinions to move forward with the Kavanaugh appointment. I hope she has some blockbuster evidence like Monica's dress or can describe in detail the HARD evidence.

Kavenaugh's innocent of the charges she has made against him and for such a smear on his character she better be able to defend against the defamation. Kavenaugh has lawyered up.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 09-19-2018

There are no 'charges' against Brett Kavanaugh. This isn't a criminal or civil court case.

It's a case of a citizen challenging the moral qualifications of a nominee for a lifetime seat on the highest court in the land based on her alleged experience with him back in high school.

The alleged witness to the alleged assault is unwilling to testify on Kavanaugh's behalf in front of Congress and would be obliterated by any decent prosecutor if criminal charges were filed (which will almost certainly not happen and hasn't been threatened).

Whatever really happened or didn't happen 35 years ago between Ford and Kavanaugh, Kavanaugh would be an idiot not to have an attorney advising him, and he'd be an idiot to threaten/file defamation charges no matter how his nomination plays out. That would only keep the allegations and questions in the news. I don't believe Kavanaugh is an idiot.

Defamation cases are typically very costly and extremely difficult to win; defamation requires intent and malice. Ford reportedly passed a lie detector test, likely because it happened just as she says or because she believes it did, in my opinion.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 09-20-2018

Polygraphs are pretty infallible and she DID pass one. A trained psychologist passed a polygraph so therefore....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2f13f2awK4

......what? The guy Hillary talks about about is someone who passed the polygraph. They all knew he was the child rapist. He knew. She knew. They hid the bloodied underwear from the evidence. He passed.

Ford passed too. So....?

It would be beyond lunacy to imply that IF a man is wrongly smeared as being a rapist or sexual assaulter, that it is smart or nice to take it all with good humour and without fighting back against the person wrongly accusing you of something so vile.

If Kavenaugh IS innocent what do you believe he should REASONABLE do.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 09-20-2018

Yes, we all know that polygraphs are not infallible. If they were, they would be admissible in courts of law and my opinion would not be that Ford is 'likely' telling what she believes is an accurate and truthful account. My opinion would instead be definitive.

I'm not interested in hearing for the millionth time about Hillary Clinton's POS client whom she was assigned to represent when she was a defense attorney. You've made it clear that you despise her and want her punished for what you believe she's done. So noted long ago. I'm indifferent regarding Hillary Clinton, and I know every defense attorney has pieces of shit who've lied, some of them having passed polygraphs. Hillary Clinton is irrelevant to this discussion.

Anyway, though polygraphs are fallible, they are accurate the majority of the time and are a useful tool for investigators. And, people who are willfully lying don't typically volunteer to take polygraphs, pass them, and ask for the FBI (to whom it's a crime to lie) to investigate their accounts.

So, I tend to believe that Ford is not lying and I understand why she wants an investigation and named witnesses called to testify under oath (even though those witnesses presently claim they 'don't recall' the alleged incident). If I were Ford, I'd want the same rather than a hearing which will be nothing more than a she said / he said shit show in front of an audience which has largely already decided who is more credible based on partisan affiliation.

If I were Kavanaugh and I did not sexually assault Ford, I'd want the same. I'd think he should publicly support a quick but thorough impartial investigation of the allegation and encourage his old friends who are named as witnesses to testify truthfully in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee. That would be the best and most fair way to get as many facts on the table for consideration by the Senate and the public to judge credibility. It would also be the best way to mitigate having a cloud of suspicion hanging over his head indefinitely, in my opinion.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Duchess - 09-20-2018

Why are all you men so quick to discount Dr. Ford's assertions? How come you don't question Kavanaugh about the number of sketchy things in his life? Where did his debt go? In May before he was nominated he owed up to $200,000 on three credit cards and he had a loan against his retirement account, by the time he was nominated in July that debt had vanished. His reported income wasn't sufficient to pay off that debt. He has 2 kids in a private school with their tuition being over $20 grand. His membership to a country club is almost $100 grand. Why does Kavanaugh's word carry more weight than Dr. Ford's?

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Maggot - 09-20-2018

Dr. Feelgoods yearbook

[url=https://cultofthe1st.blogspot.com/2018/09/why-christine-blasey-fords-high-school_19.html?m=1]https://cultofthe1st.blogspot.com/2018/09/why-christine-blasey-fords-high-school_19.html?m=1[/url]

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Duchess - 09-20-2018

Who is the source for that?

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Maggot - 09-20-2018

screenshots of her yearbook before it was taken down it has a picture of her in it. They were quite the bunch of crazy kids back then as was everyone.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - HairOfTheDog - 09-20-2018

I checked out the link Maggot.

I don't see how those year book pages, even if authentic, contradict Ford's claim or somehow make her "Dr. Feelgood".

We already know that the private male high school Kavanaugh attended and the private female high school Ford attended were filled with privileged kids who partied, often together.

And, nothing in those yearbook pages paints Ford (then Blasey) as anything other than one of the student body.

Plus, there are no quotes or disparaging captions from or about her in the pages, just an innocent enough picture of her in costume at a Halloween party.

It appears to me like those pages corroborate the environment Ford described.

But, if she testifies, she may well be asked whether she too was drunk at the party in question and about her activities in high school. I'd expect that to be the case with or without the yearbook, of which there are still plenty of copies available, just like with materials referencing the other named parties which have been removed from the internet.

(09-20-2018, 01:13 PM)Maggot Wrote: screenshots of her yearbook before it was taken down it has a picture of her in it. They were quite the bunch of crazy kids back then as was everyone.

If Kavanaugh didn't do what Dr. Ford has said he did, he should be clamoring for an investigation in order to clear his name. He's not, neither is the GOP who have known for months there was a chance this could come out.

You are putting your party above the country just like they all are doing. Things used to matter to you, fiscal responsibility for example. The thought of grifting would set your hair afire. What's changed? Having a different party in office and in control of everything in DC?

As I've said before, this information was known before and only when it looked like he would be confirmed did it come out. The facts that Ford brought out are mired in inconsistencies and conjecture. A delay tactic by the Dems who are using her as a tool in their "guilty until proven innocent" bizarro lawbook. 

Oh well she has until Friday to get her information together (she should after all these years) and get ready to answer the questions and give her side of the accusations on Monday.

(09-20-2018, 01:52 PM)Maggot Wrote: As I've said before, this information was known before and only when it looked like he would be confirmed did it come out. The facts that Ford brought out are mired in inconsistencies and conjecture. A delay tactic by the Dems who are using her as a tool in their "guilty until proven innocent" bizarro lawbook. 

Oh well she has until Friday to get her information together (she should after all these years) and get ready to answer the questions and give her side of the accusations on Monday.

"guilty until proven innocent" that's your stance, do you not see that? You think she's guilty of something, I don't know what but you do. You've even gone so far as to name call her.

Why should she have to come before that group of old men before an investigation has been done? She deserves due process and you would think a judge, of all people, would want that too. Personally, I hope she does, I want the whole world to witness that shit show and it's the last thing Republicans on the hill want.

RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - Fry Guy - 09-20-2018

Nope, nope, nope.
NO court will CLEAR Kavenaugh's name. There are 65 women who has signed their endorsement of Kavenaugh including ex girlfriends, ex classmates, women peers, and so this push to see what his relationship with women is , is a non-starter. Ford is a somewhat suspicious anomaly. Does anyone REALLY think that Kavenaugh has not been forever smeared in the court of public opinion?
Let's face it, her story has evolved. She doesn't remember the time, occasion or the year, number of people at the party, number of people at the party or involved in the attack, who,s place or what year. Just that Kavenaugh is the perpetrator. Named witnesses have dismissed it.
So assuming statutes of limitations haven’t run out...and they have...and assuming she stick to her latest revision and everyone who she says were there says we don't know what she was talking about...what happens? In real terms what do either of them gain? He doesnt get vindicated. He just gets a smear on his character and career. What is in it for Kavenaugh? Of course this assumes the statute of limitations has not run out and it has.
The is NOTHING to do with the law. It is solely character assassination.

Next, consider, she wanted to stay silent and changed her mind and wanted to go to the Washington Post. She wanted to have Congress hold up proceedings and hear her testimony. Congress broke protocol and allowed her that. She now doesn't want to do that on Monday and is making other demands and.....I'm sorry....she is not running Congress. She is no more a stakeholder in Congress than any other American. They have accommodated her enough. Every process except for the vote has occurred. Vote him in and she will slip away like Trump accusers and Roy Moore accusers seem to have.