Mock
17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY (/thread-13510.html)

Pages: 1 2

17 YEARS AGO TODAY - HairOfTheDog - 09-11-2018

The September 11th 2001 attacks took the lives of more than 3,000 Americans.  Rest in peace.

9 / 11 transformed the US in countless ways.

It briefly caused Americans to put aside their conflicts and pull together as one.

It sparked the Global War on Terror (which the US is now fighting in 76 countries), and the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

It led to the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and the Patriot Act.

And, it fundamentally changed New York City and her skyline forever.

[Image: 5b96df47e199f31c138b56ca-1536-768.jpg]
The Twin Towers in 1999; and One World Trade Center in 2018

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - HairOfTheDog - 09-11-2018

I'm grateful for the work of our national security and intelligence agencies in preventing another physical attack on the United States.

And, I'm concerned that the U.S. government is not doing enough to defend against cyber warfare.

Cyber attacks are among the biggest threat to our national security now, in my opinion. I fear we're falling behind Russia, China, North Korea and other countries in that regard.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - BigMark - 09-11-2018

I watched it on a little TV in the small kitchen at work. It actually helped our sales because people were SO freaked out and scared and didn't want to travel. I called it the nesting effect, they only felt safe at home and yearned for a private and safe oasis. Radical Muslims are also the biggest threat.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Midwest Spy - 09-11-2018

I heard the news on the radio in the car after dropping my oldest son off at school (3rd grade).

I was stunned.

Raced home, watched it unfold on TV and as the towers collapsed in front of my eyes, I really thought it was the end of the world as we knew it.

Glad to say it wasn’t that extreme, but for 3,000 people and their families it was horrible.

For the next few days, there was no commercial air traffic and every once in awhile, an F-16 would be racing over head.

Very surreal.

Speaking to my 11 year old son about it this morning was interesting.

He wanted to know what caused these people to want to do this to us. Trying to explain fundamental extremism/terrorism is not easy. Kids don’t understand the hatred that exists when someone’s views are so narrow.

I told him that applies to all forms of extremism.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Duchess - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 12:01 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Kids don’t understand the hatred that exists when someone’s views are so narrow.

I have a great deal of trouble understanding that myself. I still don't get it and I'm a grown woman.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Clang McFly - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 12:49 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 12:01 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Kids don’t understand the hatred that exists when someone’s views are so narrow.

I have a great deal of trouble understanding that myself. I still don't get it and I'm a grown woman.

Being bullied Kindergarten through High school, I kind of understand that hatred.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Duchess - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Being bullied Kindergarten through High school, I kind of understand that hatred.

That makes me want to hug little boy Clang. That's so fucked up. I would have defended you and I have others in the past.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Clang McFly - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 06:04 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Being bullied Kindergarten through High school, I kind of understand that hatred.

That makes me want to hug little boy Clang. That's so fucked up. I would have defended you and I have others in the past.
It's ok D. I learned to beat my bullies by not taking their bait. Effectively defeating them without throwing a punch.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - crash - 09-27-2018

Fuck it’s hard to believe that was 17 years ago. Feels like yesterday.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - HairOfTheDog - 09-27-2018

Feels like 17 years since you've popped in here Crash.

It's really good to see you.

How are things Down Under (in Australia, I mean)?

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - crash - 09-27-2018

Haha..I’m not sure it’s been that long. I’m done no ok, thanks, HotD, still homeless, still wandering. Still doing a bit here and there o/s. How’s life with you?

(09-27-2018, 08:21 PM)crash Wrote: Haha..I’m not sure it’s been that long. I’m done no ok, thanks, HotD, still homeless, still wandering. Still doing a bit here and there o/s. How’s life with you?

Things are going okay here, thanks Crash.  I'm kinda jealous of your rolling stone lifestyle.  It's gotta be pretty cool after years of working and helping the kids become strong adults who could leave the nest successfully.

I'm finally putting things on the market next week -- sad to be leaving within the next 6 months, but open and excited about the change.

My niece  finished her AA and her three criminal justice certificates this year. She's working a lot of shifts for me as a caregiver and banking the overtime.  I'm really proud of her.

She never did retake her driver's test because the public transportation here is so good and she kinda lost confidence after she failed the first time.   Once we move to Arizona, we'll get her behind the wheel and try again.  San Francisco is probably one of the toughest places to learn to drive.

Last month, my friend aussie came back to Mock for a week or two after a very long hiatus.  Then, she ran off again.  Hopefully she'll be back soon and you'll have a chance to pop in more often.  We need more Aussies in here.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Clang McFly - 09-27-2018

We need more Aussies like Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin.

(09-27-2018, 09:22 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: We need more Aussies like Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin.

I should have been more specific.

We need more 'living' Aussies here.  Hogan's welcome, but Irwin's banned.

Corpses not allowed.  They're dead to me. '')

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Clang McFly - 09-27-2018

(09-27-2018, 09:27 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 09:22 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: We need more Aussies like Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin.

I should have been more specific.

We need more 'living' Aussies here.  Hogan's welcome, but Irwin's banned.

Corpses not allowed.  They're dead to me. '')

I did say like Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin. Doesn't have to be them specifically. Just some manly Aussies that can throw some shrimp on the Barbie and tie me kangaroo down sport and protect dingos from eating babies.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Fry Guy - 09-28-2018

(09-27-2018, 09:15 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: We need more Aussies in here.

Still in Thailand. Give me a few more days and you'll have another Aussie posting and mocking your weird narratives and your SocJus sensibilities, snowflake Smiley_emoticons_wink

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - BigMark - 09-28-2018

Phuket dude...

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Fry Guy - 09-28-2018

Chiang Mai

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - HairOfTheDog - 09-28-2018

(09-27-2018, 11:53 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: I did say like Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin. Doesn't have to be them specifically. Just some manly Aussies that can throw some shrimp on the Barbie and tie me kangaroo down sport and protect dingos from eating babies.

Alright then.

I've seen this Australian chef grill up some good stuff a few times.  He seems cool enough.

[Image: 527427_v9_ba.jpg]

I'll send him a message letting him know that a loquacious pink haired dog and a horny flatulent cross-dresser cordially invite him to join us at Mock.

Since I invested in a non-stick frying pan from his cookware line earlier this year, I don't think he could refuse.  That would be rude.

But, if Chef Stone declines, I'll move on to Mel Gibson.  

Wild Mel could tie your kangaroo down and keep the dingos at bay, I bet.  But, you might have to put up with him posting all pissed and calling you "Sugar Tits" or some such shit.

RE: 17 YEARS AGO TODAY - Duchess - 09-28-2018

Don't forget about those Hemsworth brothers. Hubba Hubba