Mock
The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . (/thread-13856.html)

Pages: 1 2

The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Carsman - 06-10-2019

Should  periodic Eye tests, dexterity tests, as well as Driving tests be mandatory for renewing a Driver's license for people over a certain age?

Now comes the 64 Thousand Dollar question, what age should that be.
65, 70, 75, and possibly even yearly for those over 80?

However, not only age can hinder the competent fitness of a driver. Younger drivers can be severely injured in their daily lives, sometimes leaving permanent impairment to their driving ability.
How should/could they be identified and handled?

What are your pros and cons thoughts on how to handle this sensitive subject?

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Rootilda - 06-10-2019

A driving test every 10 years for everyone. I think my driver's licenses in the past have been good for 8 or 10 years and then I was required to come in for an eye test and renewal... and I needed my birth certificate to do that.

I've never had to take a dexterity test, I'd probably fail one. I can trip on air.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - BigMark - 06-10-2019

That sucks, pretend the cameras aren't rolling.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - HairOfTheDog - 06-11-2019

(06-10-2019, 08:37 PM)Rootilda Wrote: A driving test every 10 years for everyone.  

That sounds about right to me as well.  And, it doesn't assume that advanced age makes one potentially less competent/safe to drive than self-induced impairments and other conditions that are unrelated to age.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Maggot - 06-11-2019

A dexterity test would be easy and cheap to make.

[Image: original.gif]

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Rootilda - 06-11-2019

I'd be very happy to take that test.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Carsman - 06-11-2019

(06-11-2019, 11:15 AM)Maggot Wrote: A dexterity test would be easy and cheap to make.

[Image: original.gif]

Bass Ass Grin

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - MirahM - 06-11-2019

So cute.

I would not like to take a driving test every 10 years.

I wouldn't either but letting people go for decades without a check on their competency is a bad idea.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Duchess - 06-11-2019

There are moments when I couldn't care a wit if I never drove again.

I can still recall how excited I was to get my drivers license. I loved driving for a long time but at some point through the years I lost my love of it. Bummer.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Carsman - 06-11-2019

(06-11-2019, 01:25 PM)MirahM Wrote: So cute.

I would not like to take a driving test every 10 years.

(06-11-2019, 01:38 PM)Rootilda Wrote: I wouldn't either but letting people go for decades without a check on their competency is a bad idea.

Taking a Driver's test, dexterity test, eye test, every 10 years is really a long span, when you really come down to think about it.

Someone takes the test today and passes it with ease.

A month later that same someone has become permanently physically impaired for what ever reason.

That person is now a driving safety hazard to themselves and others, but still continues to drive anyway.

Just human nature to many.

An idea may be that there needs to be some sort of central information agency or the like.

One that gets notified anonymously
by doctors, therapists, police dept, etc. or anyone who has information of someone who needs their existing Driving/Dex/Eye tests to be re-evaluated.

There are many people out there driving a car/truck/whatever, that definitely should not be.

If the problem is solved somehow, the life that can be saved may be your own, or mine!

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - BigMark - 06-11-2019

Anyone over 80 should have to drive a car with a collision avoidance system.

I kinda don't think 80 year olds should be driving.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - BigMark - 06-11-2019

(06-11-2019, 08:12 PM)Rootilda Wrote: I kinda don't think 80 year olds should be driving.

I'll remind you that in 15 years.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - HairOfTheDog - 06-12-2019

(06-10-2019, 08:31 PM)Carsman Wrote:
Should  periodic Eye tests, dexterity tests, as well as Driving tests be mandatory for renewing a Driver's license for people over a certain age?

Now comes the 64 Thousand Dollar question, what age should that be.
65, 70, 75, and possibly even yearly for those over 80?

However, not only age can hinder the competent fitness of a driver. Younger drivers can be severely injured in their daily lives, sometimes leaving permanent impairment to their driving ability.
How should/could they be identified and handled?

What are your pros and cons thoughts on how to handle this sensitive subject?

I think it's realistic and fair to consider and address the impacts of aging on people's ability to drive competently and safely.  However, it's not realistic or fair to assume that all 80-year-old drivers pose a potential threat greater than their 18-year-old counterparts on the road, for example.  

Drivers between the ages of 16 and 24 (especially drivers aged 16 to 19) cause way more accidents than drivers 65 and older (by raw numbers and percentages) -- younger drivers are more likely to speed, more likely to be distracted by passengers, more likely to disobey the rules of the road, more likely to drink and drive, more likely to be distracted by their phones, more likely to drive in hazardous circumstances, etc.  https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/blog/who-causes-accidents/

So, if the goal is to reduce car accidents, raising the minimum age or increasing the laws/testing requirements -- which are state-by-state, not national -- for younger people would very likely go further than prohibiting or increasing the testing requirements for older people at present.   However, with rising life expectancy and declining birth rates, there will be a higher percentage of seniors on the road in the next couple of decades.  

Anyway, several states have laws making it more difficult for the elderly to renew their licences than for other drivers (increased renewal frequency and vision testing, in-person only, etc).  Starting at age 70, renewals in the District of Columbia, for example, must be done in person and drivers must also have certification of physical and mental competence from a doctor. State by state:  https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/national/2012/09/19/213818.htm

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Rootilda - 06-12-2019

Well shit, getting certifications from a doctor sounds pretty cost prohibitive for most of us.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - sally - 06-12-2019

An old man who looked about in his 80s pulled up to me while I was waiting to make a right turn into Lowe's. I was at the red arrow and he was next to me at the red light. He rolled down his window and asked me where Lowe's was and I pointed and said right over there. He says thanks honey and turns into the oncoming traffic, thank Christ there just happened to be a break in the traffic and he made it through or that would have caused a major accident. That's going to be Roo in a few years.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Rootilda - 06-12-2019

Next month.

RE: The 64 Thousand Dollar Question . . . . . . - Fry Guy - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 11:17 AM)sally Wrote: An old man who looked about in his 80s pulled up to me while I was waiting to make a right turn into Lowe's. I was at the red arrow and he was next to me at the red light. He rolled down his window and asked me where Lowe's was and I pointed and said right over there. He says thanks honey and turns into the oncoming traffic, thank Christ there just happened to be a break in the traffic and he made it through or that would have caused a major accident. That's going to be Roo in a few years.

Will there be a break in traffic for her next month?