Mock
Friday the 13th - 2009 - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Friday the 13th - 2009 (/thread-1404.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Liquid - 02-15-2009

We saw this last night and completely LIKED it. Very good remake that was neither cheesy or dumb. Very well done, well shot, and good effect. It has an R rating so the killing is graphic, there is excellent sex scenes, a good amount of humor mixed in and they don't have to hold back with the scary stuff. ALSO, the sound track and sound effects are VERY well done. The "scary" stuff is enhanced by the sound effects that are perfectly placed and executed.

This is similar to the recent first remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, where they did a good job reinventing the film in modern times. The same people produced this movie and did an equally excellent job.

I liked how they introduced the hockey mask into the story, but I won't tell you so you can see it at the theaters.

Here is the description from IMDB -
Quote:Young friends Whitney (Amanda Righetti), Mike (Nick Mennell), Richie (Ben Feldman), Amanda (America Olivio), and Wade (Jonathan Sadowski) end up missing in the woods near the abandoned Camp Crystal Lake (made famous by the original 1980 film), after allowing their curiosity to get the better of them and visiting the site where a psychopathic killer resides. Six weeks later, Trent (Travis Van Winkle) invites friends Jenna (Danielle Panabaker), Bree (Julianna Guill), Chewie (Aaron Yoo), Chelsea (Willa Ford), Lawrence (Arlen Escarpta), and Nolan (Ryan Hansen) to his father's cabin on Crystal Lake for a weekend of sex, booze, pot smoking, and water skiing. However their seemingly fun weekend soon escalates into a nightmare after lone traveler Clay (Jared Padalecki) shows up looking for his missing sister Whitney. The police have searched with no luck, and Clay is now searching alone. Local citizens have advised Clay not to go into those woods, because anyone who shows up missing is already dead, and he is wasting his time. During his search, one of the students, Jenna, decides to help Clay find his sister, and they go into the woods. They find the abandoned Camp Crystal Lake and search the dilapidated camp house for any signs of his sister. They soon find themselves face to hockey-mask with evil reborn, reimagined, and rebooted, and his name is Jason Vorhees (Derek Mears)
I WOULD recommend this for any one who likes scary movies, even if you know exactly what is going to happen, lol. I was in a completely sold out theater and people were screaming and laughing the entire time.

Derek Mears plays Jason and he is good in the roll, even though you never see his face. He was also one of the scary guys in The Hills Have Eyes

IMDB link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758746/

The news stories I am reading are saying that this movie will break all records for opening weekend box office for R rated horror movies. the theater I was in was totally sold out and I head that every single show for this movie was also sold out all day long.

- Duchess - 02-15-2009

I like sex scenes.

- Liquid - 02-15-2009

Duchess Wrote:I like sex scenes.
well in this movie they are usually followed by a ton of blood and killing, lol

- OnBendedKnee - 02-15-2009

[user=47]Liquid[/user] wrote:
Quote:
Duchess Wrote:I like sex scenes.
well in this movie they are usually followed by a ton of blood and killing, lol

Reminds me of college minus the ton of blood and killing but replaced by a ton of, "are you done yet?" and yawning.

:Blush:

- Duchess - 02-15-2009

OnBendedKnee Wrote:Reminds me of college minus the ton of blood and killing but replaced by a ton of, "are you done yet?" and yawning.

:Blush:
Was it you saying that or her ?...I suppose it doesn't matter, either way, that's pitiful. ::aww::

- OnBendedKnee - 02-15-2009

Going to college at BYU + Sex =

[Image: hand.jpg]

- Cynical Ninja - 02-15-2009

I am a big fan of the original Friday the 13th franchise so I will definitely be seeing it at some point.

I personally thought the recent remakes of Texas Chainsaw massacre and Halloween were a bit disappointing. I think the original chainsaw massacre was a horror masterpiece and the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween was virtually identical shot for shot to the original which I think made it virtually pointless.

- SyberBitch - 02-15-2009

Liquid Wrote:We saw this last night and completely LIKED it. Very good remake that was neither cheesy or dumb.
While it would be great if there were *new*, original horror films that match or exceed the quality of some of the old classics, it does give me hope that they are at least able to 'remake' some of the classics without totally trashing them. I probably would have watched it anyway, but thanks. Smiley_emoticons_smile

- Liquid - 02-15-2009

Ordinary Peephole Wrote:I am a big fan of the original Friday the 13th franchise so I will definitely be seeing it at some point.

I personally thought the recent remakes of Texas Chainsaw massacre and Halloween were a bit disappointing. I think the original chainsaw massacre was a horror masterpiece and the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween was virtually identical shot for shot to the original which I think made it virtually pointless.
I agree about the zombie remake of Halloween. not really sure what the point of that was. the original was a great flick, so why remake it at all if you are not going to make it new and fresh.

This was a good recent version of the classic. And obviously it leaves the door open for more, and considering how big this opening weekend will be I imagine we will see more in this new/old franchise

Liquid Wrote:
Ordinary Peephole Wrote:I am a big fan of the original Friday the 13th franchise so I will definitely be seeing it at some point.

I agree about the zombie remake of Halloween. not really sure what the point of that was. the original was a great flick, so why remake it at all if you are not going to make it new and fresh.

This was a good recent version of the classic. And obviously it leaves the door open for more, and considering how big this opening weekend will be I imagine we will see more in this new/old franchise

The Zombie remake of Halloween was premiered on Sky movies last night, I waited in anticipation with my bottle of wine and oriental snack treats only to have my hopes dashed with a shot for shot replica of the original.
The only difference I could spot was the use of Lawrie Stroud as Michaels' sister being the reason he returned to Haddonfield and the fact they gave Michael long hair, big fucking deal.
I would have been better off watching my 25th anniverary edition DVD of the original.

- LuMPyPussy - 02-15-2009

Best remake was the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead.

LuMPyPussy Wrote:Best remake was the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead.

That's definitely one of the better ones, I still have a soft spot for the satire of the original though.

- ramseycat - 02-15-2009

I was wondering if this one would be any good. Both my kids are begging me to take them. I am so glad it's rated R so I can get out of it. I am not a fan of horror movies because they scare the shit out of me and I leave the theater totally freaked out.

Oh hell yeah!! What an excellent remake. The zombies were genuinely creepy, the actors were good, the pacing was excellent and in the end, it left you wanting more.

Ordinary Peephole Wrote:

That's definitely one of the better ones, I still have a soft spot for the satire of the original though.
Satire? What about 'Evil Dead'?? That's still one of my favorites Smiley_emoticons_smile

SyberBitch Wrote:
Ordinary Peephole Wrote:

Satire? What about 'Evil Dead'?? That's still one of my favorites Smiley_emoticons_smile
Bruce Campbell is a god, a GOD, I tell ya!

LuMPyPussy Wrote:Bruce Campbell is a god, a GOD, I tell ya!
Beware the chainsaw... aRRRRUUUUMMMMAAaaaaaanananananaanaaa

- Phallic_Member - 02-15-2009

Horror is the best. Bruce is in fact God. Remakes are shit. Remaking Black Christmas was an atrocity. I will never watch it.

Did watch F13 though. After the first 20 minutes there was no way to follow up. Got bored. I liked the fact that so much homage was paid to the first 3 but by the same token that made it far too predictable.

A Friday the 13th film with good production and a hefty budget? Misses the mark.

I'm pissed off they're remaking Nightmare on Elm Street. That's a classic movie and no one can replace Robert Englund in the part.

Fuckers.

- Liquid - 02-15-2009

LuMPyPussy Wrote:I'm pissed off they're remaking Nightmare on Elm Street. That's a classic movie and no one can replace Robert Englund in the part.

Fuckers.
I actually agree with you on this one. How in the world can they remake Englund's part. The big thing with Chainsaw and Fri the 13th is the killer's face are covered so any big guy could play the part. Freddy was all about Englund's facial expressions and personality. He made the part IMO.