Mock
BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Funny Shit & Good Shit (https://mockforums.net/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Good Shit (https://mockforums.net/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: BOOKS! - what are you reading? (/thread-3939.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Jimbone - 05-31-2012

(05-31-2012, 07:01 PM)Donovan Wrote: @sixfooter, I never saw the allure of books-on-tape until I took a long driving trip and popped a couple in for the ride. Very entertaining, and made the miles go away pretty smoothly. I haven't checked any out recently, but they were fun at the time.

Some audio books are so well done it's not even like you are listening to a book. They are like old time radio dramas.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Disciple - 06-01-2012

ATTENTION FANS OF STEPHEN KING'S DARK TOWER SERIES

I've discovered that there is a prequel to the now eight book series. No fan with whom I've discussed this was aware of its existence, so I'll assume that most will be as surprised as I was.

It's in a book of short stories called "Everything's Eventual". The name of the story is "The Little Sisters of Eluria".

It's DARK. Beware. Enjoy!

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Lady Cop - 06-06-2012

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Science fiction author Ray Bradbury, whose imagination yielded classic books such as "Fahrenheit 451," "The Martian Chronicles" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes," has died at 91, his publisher said Wednesday.

Bradbury "died peacefully, last night, in Los Angeles, after a lengthy illness," the HarperCollins statement said.

Bradbury's books and 600 short stories predicted everything from the emergence of ATMs to live broadcasts of fugitive car chases.

"In a career spanning more than seventy years, Ray Bradbury has inspired generations of readers to dream, think, and create," the statement said. "A prolific author of hundreds of short stories and close to fifty books, as well as numerous poems, essays, operas, plays, teleplays, and screenplays, Bradbury was one of the most celebrated writers of our time."

He wrote the screenplay for John Huston's classic film adaptation of "Moby Dick," and was nominated for an Academy Award.

Bradbury adapted 65 of his stories for television's The Ray Bradbury Theater, and won an Emmy for his teleplay of "The Halloween Tree."

[Image: 120606015049-ray-bradbury-01-c1-main.jpg]

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - ramseycat - 06-06-2012

(05-29-2012, 12:45 PM)Jimbone Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 12:29 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I think with this series you either love it or it's meh. I am in the meh camp. I might get the second one just to see what happens and cuz I need a book to read on the plane to ATL. I never got into the Twilight books either. A lot of my friends are totally into that and the movies too. Just not my thing I guess.

What amazes me is that people are paying for a book that was published for free as fan fiction.

I can't even imagine reading through to second book.

I don't think they are available free anymore. I read the second and third book this past week. They are much better than the first. Not as much kinky fuckery as they call it and more back story about the charactors and some mystery as well. I wouldn't say the trilogy was outstanding but for some entertainment while flying or sitting at the airport which is what I was doing, they were good.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Jimbone - 06-06-2012

(06-06-2012, 12:54 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I don't think they are available free anymore. I read the second and third book this past week. They are much better than the first. Not as much kinky fuckery as they call it and more back story about the charactors and some mystery as well. I wouldn't say the trilogy was outstanding but for some entertainment while flying or sitting at the airport which is what I was doing, they were good.

It's still out there... just checked.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - username - 01-08-2013

I don't recall what post it was in but Donovan sort of quoted some scripture but in modern verbiage. I commented that that would be a fun read. I kind of found it! I'm just finishing this book. It's the life of Jesus (who is Joshua) as told by his best buddy Biff. Biff is offended that the new testament starts when Joshua was around 30 so he instead tells about his entire life (and sets some records straight). Here are a few excerpts.

“Joshua's ministry was three years of preaching, sometimes three times a day, and although there were some high and low points, I could never remember the sermons word for word, but here's the gist of almost every sermon I ever heard Joshua give.

You should be nice to people, even creeps.
And if you:
a) believed that Joshua was the Son of God (and)
b) he had come to save you from sin (and)
c) acknowledged the Holy Spirit within you (became as a little child, he would say) (and)
d) didn't blaspheme the Holy Ghost (see c)
then you would:
e) live forever
f) someplace nice
g) probably heavan
However, if you:
h) sinned (and/or)
i) were a hypocrite (and/or)
j) valued things over people (and)
k) didn't do a, b, c, and d,
then you were:
l) fucked”

“I've got to think that that was unethical," Joshua said.
"Josh, faking demonic possession is like a mustard seed."
"How is it like a mustard seed?"
"You don't know, do you? Doesn't seem at all like a mustard seed, does it? Now you see how we all feel when you liken things unto a mustard seed? Huh?”

“In fact, amid all the musical laments over not having a heart, a brain, or the nerve, did anyone notice that they didn’t have a penis among them? I think it would have shown on the Lion and the Tin Man, and when the Scarecrow has his pants destuffed, you don’t see a flying monkey waving an errant straw Johnson around anywhere, do you.

I think I know what song I’d be singing: Oh, I would while away the hours, Wanking in the flowers, my heart all full of song, I’d be gilding all the lilies as I waved about my willie If I only had a schlong.”

You have to read the book to find out the connection between the New Testament and the Wizard of Oz.

― Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Duchess - 03-07-2013

Has anyone read Winter's Bone?

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - username - 03-07-2013

Nope. Sounds kind of intriguing though.

I'm currently on book 7 of Robert Crais's Elvis Cole series. Easy reading just the way I like it.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - RaisingAPrince - 03-07-2013

(03-07-2013, 02:33 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I haven't read the book but I did watch the movie on Netflix. I always think book's are better than the movie, and the movie was pretty good!

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - ramseycat - 03-07-2013

(03-07-2013, 02:33 PM)Duchess Wrote:

No. What's it about?

I just finished Eleventh Hour by James Patterson. It was good.

(03-07-2013, 04:21 PM)ramseycat Wrote: What's it about?

Living in the Ozark back country, seventeen year old Ree Dolly acts as the primary caregiver to her mentally ill mother, and her two younger siblings, twelve year old Sonny and six year old Ashlee. Her father, Jessup Dolly, is generally absent from their lives, he who earns a living primarily by running a methamphetamine lab. Without money from Jessup, Ree is barely able to make ends meet, and depends on the kindness of their neighbor, Sonya, to do so. Ree learns that her father is scheduled for a court appearance for his illegal activities, and he has skipped bail, putting their house and property up as bond. No one seems to know where Jessup is. Ree has to try and find Jessup to make sure that he shows up for his court appearance, otherwise they risk losing their home. As Ree goes on her quest, she finds that people seem to know more about his whereabouts than they are letting on, including her uncle Teardrop of who she is scared. Rumors abound that Jessup is dead, but a dead father without a body does not help her cause. But Ree's persistence in finding out what happened to Jessup makes her come face to face with the code of silence for which some are willing to kill.

James Patterson is one of my favorite authors. I have liked all of his books except for Zoo, I couldn't even get into that one.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - username - 03-07-2013

Duchess=enabler.

FFS, Ramsey, I can't believe you're sitting at a computer and asking what it's about. Google is a wonderful thing.

(03-07-2013, 04:37 PM)username Wrote: Duchess=enabler.

I always try to find the answer to people's questions. It never occurred to me to tell her to look it up. 50

Ramsey, you lazy bitch.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - NightOwl - 03-07-2013

[Image: 6a00d83451cb0369e2017d3c4a1709970c-pi]

If you love cooking this is a fun read, I want to try the Creamy Russet Leek Soup & Cream of Asparagus Soup, but, there are so many other things like The Crawley Sisters' Stuffed Mushrooms and Mixed Berry Scones these scones have blueberries, blackberries and raspberries and real butter.

This book would make a nice gift it sells for under $20.00.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Duchess - 05-10-2013

I know we talked about Gone Girl but I couldn't find it in this thread. Anyway, I got it, Ramsey & I hope to get to it this weekend.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - username - 05-10-2013

I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. It took awhile for it to grab me but then I was hooked. I think the first book is rife with almost too many characters which was slightly headache inducing but once you get past that, it's a great read.

ETA: I'm about to start The Passage.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - ramseycat - 05-10-2013

Awesome Duchess. It's really good. I look forward to hearing your opinion.

User, I read books 1 and 2 but only about half of book 3. I just lost interest for some reason.

I just finished the 12th book in James Pattersons Wonen's Murder Club series. It was good.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Jimbone - 05-10-2013

(05-10-2013, 11:12 AM)username Wrote: I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. It took awhile for it to grab me but then I was hooked. I think the first book is rife with almost too many characters which was slightly headache inducing but once you get past that, it's a great read.

I enjoyed the original movies they made based on that series... they were subtitled, but they were very well done.

Also, I didn't know James Patterson made picture books.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - username - 05-10-2013

(05-10-2013, 12:43 PM)Jimbone Wrote:
(05-10-2013, 11:12 AM)username Wrote: I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. It took awhile for it to grab me but then I was hooked. I think the first book is rife with almost too many characters which was slightly headache inducing but once you get past that, it's a great read.

I enjoyed the original movies they made based on that series... they were subtitled, but they were very well done.

Also, I didn't know James Patterson made picture books.

*snicker*

Did you know Stieg Larsson's books were published posthumously?

Soon after Larsson's death, the manuscripts of three completed, but unpublished, novels – written as a series – were discovered. He had written them for his own pleasure after returning home from his job in the evening, and had made no attempt to get them published until shortly before his death.

I probably need to give it more time but I'm not sure I'm going to like The Passage. Anybody read it?

If anyone likes Urban Fantasy, Jim Butcher's Dresden files was a fun series. I read that a year or so ago.

I love a good series and I don't have one lined up to read. 21

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Jimbone - 05-10-2013

Yeah, I had read that after watching the first movie. If you have Netflix and the time, I'd be curious what you think about the movie to book comparison. The one from Sweden, not the most recent one with Daniel Craig.

I was reading about a book called "One Second After" last night... here's the sysnopis:

'In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma’s pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John’s New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America’s power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John’s list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall “Korea in ’51” as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen’s sad, riveting cautionary tale.'

Has anyone read it by any chance?