Mock
BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Funny Shit & Good Shit (https://mockforums.net/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Good Shit (https://mockforums.net/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: BOOKS! - what are you reading? (/thread-3939.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Duchess - 02-14-2015

Welp, I read Fifty Shades Of Grey. I had zero expectations so I wasn't disappointed but I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. I didn't even think it was kinky.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - ramseycat - 02-14-2015

I just finished Obsession in Death. Good read.

That is my boss' favorite author. She's also Nora somebody, isn't she?

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - ramseycat - 02-14-2015

Yes Nora Roberts. Aka JD Robb.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Donovan - 02-14-2015

Not specifically a book I am reading, but I thought I'd share my experiences with the Scrib'd app available on most devices. It's like Netflix for books, structured to take a flat fee of about 8 bucks a month for unlimited access to their library, and it's plenty. Also, they just added a huge audiobooks section and tons of graphic novels. You get a month free trial and I just finished my first thirty days. Read the King book about Kenndey's assassination, an autobiography on Mark Twain, and a bigfoot book.

Anyway, before I start sounding any more like a Scrib'd commercial pitchman I will say that it is worth every bit of the monthly fee if you're a big reader. The interface is simple, the library is huge, it selects offerings for you just like the Netflix does, and you have the option to store your selections in the cloud or on your device, which is handy for my tablet when I'm not near a wifi spot. And near as I can tell they have just about any category you can think of.

Just thought I'd share in case somebody was wondering.

(02-14-2015, 05:43 PM)Donovan Wrote: Just thought I'd share in case somebody was wondering.

I download books from my library & my boss always passes hers on to me as well otherwise I'd get the app. Ramsey & User read a great deal so it's probably something that would interest them and some of the others too.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Maggot - 04-06-2015

Sun Tzu considered war as a necessary evil that must be avoided whenever possible. The war should be fought swiftly to avoid economic losses: "No long war ever profited any country: 100 victories in 100 battles is simply ridiculous. Anyone who excels in defeating his enemies triumphs before his enemy's threats become real".

"The art of war" by Sun Tzu. I've read it once but that was a long time ago.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Blindgreed1 - 04-06-2015

Cracked open the Eagles Encyclopedia this weekend that my son got me for xmas.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Duchess - 04-06-2015

The Philadelphia Eagles? Those Eagles?

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Tammy75 - 04-06-2015

I miss books. Real books. Paper and spine books.

I have never bought--don't have enough room to store and there seems to be some conspiracy theory going on at my local library that even the large print books aren't big enough for me to read......

I have an eye docs appointment in 2 weeks. I see bifocals in my future Dramaqueen and 2016, when I renew my driver license is not going to be here before I can read 10% of street signs, without knowing them already, correctly hah

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Duchess - 04-28-2015

Ramsey, do you read Lisa Gardner's books?

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - ramseycat - 04-28-2015

No. But I'll check her out.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - HairOfTheDog - 07-13-2015

One of my favorite all-time books is To Kill A Mockingbird. The movie is great too.

Turns out that Harper Lee wrote another novel before To Kill A Mockingbird and it's getting released tomorrow.

[Image: BOOKLEE1-master180.jpg]

Go Set A Watchman centers around the Finch family too, but it takes place when Scout is a grown woman who's moved from Alabama to New York City. The pre-orders are the highest in history behind Harry Potter sequels.

The release has generated an enormous amount of publicity and buzz. Some Mockingbird-lovers are distressed by the revelations about Atticus who, according to media reps with early access to the first chapter, is portrayed as a racist who attended a KKK meeting and protested against desegregation.

I'm gonna read it.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Clang McFly - 07-13-2015

Cool. I loved the book and movie also. I'm totally gonna read it...someday when I get back to reading books.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - sally - 07-13-2015

I somehow made it through life without ever reading To Kill A Mockingbird, so my son brought it home from school one day and I told him that I want to read it first before he returns it. Well it doesn't look like the school is going to get their book back anytime soon because that was about three years ago and I still haven't read it.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - BlueTiki - 07-13-2015

(07-13-2015, 10:55 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: . . . is portrayed as a racist who attended a KKK meeting and protested against desegregation.

I'm gonna read it.

Me, too!

I heard that Finch is portrayed as a segregationist . . . viewing blacks as "children to be taken care of".

Already cries to ban "To Kill . . .".

I guess they forgot he defended a black man and pursued equality under the law. The 50's South was segregated.

So what if he was a segregationist?

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Jimbone - 07-13-2015

Atticus Finch, Robert Ewell, and an unidentified firefighter take care of business:

[Image: Screen%20shot%202010-03-17%20at%209.17.17%20PM.png]

(07-13-2015, 11:23 AM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 10:55 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: . . . is portrayed as a racist who attended a KKK meeting and protested against desegregation.

I'm gonna read it.

So what if he was a segregationist?

I think it will be interesting to read Harper Lee answer that question, from Scout's disillusioned point of view, as written in 1957.

RE: BOOKS! - what are you reading? - Maggot - 07-13-2015

Many people will think its a non-fiction. Watch.

IMO, many people (the vast majority, for me) will understand that while Atticus and Scout are fictional characters, Brown vs. Board of Education, desegregation activism, and the Klu Klux Klan really did exist when the novel was submitted for publication back in 1957; many people know that creators of fictional works often incorporate real history into their stories and always have.