Mock
The Royals ~ - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assholes In The News (https://mockforums.net/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: The Royals ~ (/thread-5107.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: The Royals ~ - ramseycat - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 11:01 AM)Duchess Wrote:

It's being reported that the nurse who was duped by a couple of DJ's into discussing the Duchess has committed suicide.

Oh my God.

RE: The Royals ~ - RaisingAPrince - 12-07-2012

Story Here

British media were reporting Friday that the woman, who has not been identified, was found unconscious this morning at an address in central London. She could not be revived.

The Sun reported that the death was unexplained but headlined the story for online searches as “Tragedy as woman who answered Kate hoax commits suicide."

RE: The Royals ~ - username - 12-07-2012

That's tragic.

RE: The Royals ~ - HairOfTheDog - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 11:58 AM)RaisingAPrince Wrote: Story Here

British media were reporting Friday that the woman, who has not been identified, was found unconscious this morning at an address in central London. She could not be revived.

The Sun reported that the death was unexplained but headlined the story for online searches as “Tragedy as woman who answered Kate hoax commits suicide."

The Australian DJs have announced that they are removing themselves from the airwaves effective immediately.

The suicide news is very sad. This nurse had to have been suicidal previously, imo. It's not like she got anyone killed or put anybody's life in danger. I don't think a stable person commits suicide over the humiliation of being the victim of a stupid hoax, even a very public one. Probably the straw that broke the camel's back, imo...

Whatever caused her such despair, may she rest in peace...

RE: The Royals ~ - aussiefriend - 12-07-2012

The big issue was confidentiality and that was breached. As nurses, we can get into big trouble if we breach someone's confidentiality. Even though the hospital has reported that they took no disciplinary action, there still would have been some professional slur/stigma against her because of this breach. Even though it was not her fault, she still would have paid a cost for not screening the call. This could happen to anyone, we are all human and make mistakes. Unfortunately for her, the whole world was watching. Poor dear, I feel very bad for her and her family.

RE: The Royals ~ - Duchess - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 05:40 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: The Australian DJs have announced that they are removing themselves from the airwaves effective immediately.

They must have been horrified to learn of her death. I feel bad for them. Smiley_emoticons_slash

RE: The Royals ~ - aussiefriend - 12-07-2012

Yes the guilt these DJs would be feeling would be awful. I have made loads of prank calls in my life and thought it was pretty damn funny. This was an innocent prank call that got out of hand.

The thing is here in Oz, we have absolutely horrid repulsive 'shock jocks' that say awful horrible things about people who are far worse than what these two did in comparison.

If Kate and Wills weren't put so high up on a pedestal maybe it wouldn't have been such a big deal. I am not part of the Kate worship club.

RE: The Royals ~ - Midwest Spy - 12-07-2012

aussiefriend Wrote:I am not part of the Kate worship club.

Aren't you technically one of her subjects (in the future anyway) and HAVE to kneel either in her presence are anytime you're near her image?

RE: The Royals ~ - NightOwl - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 05:40 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(12-07-2012, 11:58 AM)RaisingAPrince Wrote: Story Here

The Australian DJs have announced that they are removing themselves from the airwaves effective immediately.

The suicide news is very sad. This nurse had to have been suicidal previously, imo. It's not like she got anyone killed or put anybody's life in danger. I don't think a stable person commits suicide over the humiliation of being the victim of a stupid hoax, even a very public one. Probably the straw that broke the camel's back, imo...

Whatever caused her such despair, may she rest in peace...

I have to agree with you HairOfTheDog, she had to have been suicidal prior to this, something else was maybe going on in this woman's life & this was the breaking point.

RE: The Royals ~ - NightOwl - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 05:56 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: If Kate and Wills weren't put so high up on a pedestal maybe it wouldn't have been such a big deal. I am not part of the Kate worship club.

I'll drink to this one Aussie!

I'm not a member of the Royal Fan Club. Here's my opinion of them 100 hah

RE: The Royals ~ - Maggot - 12-07-2012

Did she go to a hospital for "morning sickness"? Really? Staged for sure.

RE: The Royals ~ - Duchess - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 09:12 PM)Maggot Wrote: Did she go to a hospital for "morning sickness"? Really? Staged for sure.

I read a little about that. It's not morning sickness like we are accustomed to thinking it is, this is actually a very serious condition. One of the stories I read was about a woman who was on an IV daily because she was constantly dehydrated from barfing . One woman lived on the third floor of her home for months because she couldn't tolerate the smell of food or even being touched by her children, it was so bad for some women that their Dr. recommended an abortion.

RE: The Royals ~ - Maggot - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 09:23 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(12-07-2012, 09:12 PM)Maggot Wrote: Did she go to a hospital for "morning sickness"? Really? Staged for sure.

I read a little about that. It's not morning sickness like we are accustomed to thinking it is, this is actually a very serious condition. One of the stories I read was about a woman who was on an IV daily because she was constantly dehydrated from barfing . One woman lived on the third floor of her home for months because she couldn't tolerate the smell of food or even being touched by her children, it was so bad for some women that their Dr. recommended an abortion.

I'm just going by what the girls at work were laughing at and what the professor was chuckling about. How long was she in there? 3 days? hah I don't know, but its possible ya know?

She may even need the last 3 months for bed rest. gawk

RE: The Royals ~ - aussiefriend - 12-08-2012

The level of care and time she was hospitalised did seem excessive for the diagnosis.

RE: The Royals ~ - ramseycat - 12-08-2012

(12-08-2012, 08:24 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: The level of care and time she was hospitalised did seem excessive for the diagnosis.

It's because of who she is.

Morning sickness can be debilitating Maggot. It's like the worst flu you ever had times 1000. The hormones raging through your body can trigger all sorts of weird reactions. I remember being very sensative to smell. I would literally gag at the way some people smelled. Especially if they had BO or old people smell.

RE: The Royals ~ - Duchess - 12-08-2012

This is the proper term for it - Hyperemesis Gravidarum.

Do not mistake it for common morning sickness. The average pregnant woman does not experience this. I believe I read that it only affects 1% of pregnant women. It is a serious diagnoses & cause for concern. It is severe enough that some women are overwhelmed knowing they will spend nine months dealing with this & choose to end their pregnancies.

RE: The Royals ~ - HairOfTheDog - 12-08-2012

(12-08-2012, 08:50 AM)Duchess Wrote:

This is the proper term for it - Hyperemesis Gravidarum.

Do not mistake it for common morning sickness. The average pregnant woman does not experience this. I believe I read that it only affects 1% of pregnant women. It is a serious diagnoses & cause for concern. It is severe enough that some women are overwhelmed knowing they will spend nine months dealing with this & choose to end their pregnancies.

Thanks, Duchess.

I'd never heard of it before. Here's a good link about the symptoms and risks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57556803/duchess-kate-hospitalized-for-hyperemesis-gravidarum-what-is-it/

1 in 50 women suffer from it, but only 1% require hospitalization, according to the link. I don't know if Kate was part of that 1% hospitalized because of who she is or for other reasons, but better to be safe than sorry, imo. As you noted, it's serious.

RE: The Royals ~ - NightOwl - 12-08-2012

The 2 Australian DJ's were having a jolly good time pulling a prank, pretending to be the Royals and the whole thing backfired on them by the tragic death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha. I just got through reading an article from Associated Press published in Toledo Blade and this report states Police have not determined cause of death yet for the nurse.

Reading on in the article it states as follows:-

"Just before dawn on Tuesday, Saldanha was looking after her patients when the phone rang. A woman pretending to be Queen Elizabeth II asked to speak to the duchess, and, believing the caller, Saldanha transferred the call to a fellow nurse caring for the duchess, who spoke to the two DJs about Kate's condition live on air."

OK Saldanha transfers the call thinking it's the Queen but, it's Kates nurse that reveals the details, Kate's nurse didn't end up dying. I'm puzzled what is going on exactly?
Another thing doesn't the Hospital have a switchboard? if they did, they goofed also.

http://www.toledoblade.com/World/2012/12/08/UK-hospital-protests-to-Australian-radio-over-hoax.html

RE: The Royals ~ - zaphod - 12-09-2012

As a UK resident, I'll try to answer some of NightOwl's points.

Let me start by saying I'm not a fan of prank calls generally. BUT (to me, anyway) there's a world of difference between (say) impersonating a well-known actor who's played Doctor Who and calling a local hardware shop to ask whether they sell sonic screwdrivers, and what Mel and Michael did.

The hospital is a small, private one with 58 private rooms. It is VERY exclusive (= expensive), and has down the years treated many members of the British royal family. The hospital 'knows the drill' for royal patients.

The call was made just before dawn (UK time), so the switchboard would have been on night service, and any incoming calls would be answered by a nurse and not an administrator. The nurses would be coming to the end of their night shift and so would not be at their brightest and best, relatively speaking.

Yes, Saldanha should have noted that the impressions were pretty dire, but she didn't. What she SHOULD have done was put the call through to the royal protection officer (think 'bodyguard') on duty, and not to the nurse looking after Kate — that's their standard operating procedure — but Saldanha didn't do that. If she had, none of this would have happened and the prank would have failed there and then.

Now, we don't know how experienced Saldanha was in these well-established procedures: perhaps she'd never been on duty with a 'royal in residence,' as it were. Ditto the (unnamed) nurse who finally took the call and spilled the beans. What we CAN be sure of is that both of them would have been on at least a verbal warning about breaching procedures once the news got out.

I hope that adequately addresses NightOwl's questions.

As Her Grace the Duchess of Mock has already said, these nurses have in effect committed professional suicide: patient confidentiality is a given in the nursing profession. Was that what caused Saldanha to (as it seems) take her own life? Was she already on some kind of disciplinary warning? Was she already depressed? We don't know this yet, but those issues are almost certain to be explored by the coroner: the official who in England and Wales is in charge of investigating all sudden deaths.

And let's not forget the press. I don't know why Saldanha's name got out, and the 'other' nurse's name hasn't (as far as I know), but I'd bet that every journalist worth their salt would have tried to contact Saldanha. That alone (press harrassment) can be enough to turn some people suicidal. You can be sure that the coroner will be getting Saldanha's phone records from any and all phone companies she uses, and will be examining those closely.

I assume (?) that the Lord Leveson enquiry into the British press made the US news, but if not, it's recently reported its findings. Basically, the British press have been guilty many times in the past of 'hacking' into people's cellphones to pursue stories, and many other obnoxious practices. Leveson's main recommendation is that there should be a truly independent body set up to investigate press complaints (up to now, it's been run by the press themselves). The British government are keen to implement this and support that recommendation, but for now they are leaving it up to the press to set up (!) the 'new, improved, independent' complaints body; only if that doesn't happen will the government step in and implement such a body itself.

So putting all this together, if the press DID hound Saldanha to the point where she felt suicide was the only way out, it is likely to have major repercussions on who sets up a 'real' press complaints commission. And we won't know whether or not being hounded by journalists was a factor in Saldanha's apparent suicide until the coroner's court reports its findings after holding its inquest (this may take a week or three).

Let's also not forget that 2Day Radio are the station who in 2009 had a 14-year-old girl 'dragged on to' a live Jerry Springer-esque show by her mother, who was worried about the girl's partying and possible drug taking. They hooked her up to a (fake) polygraph, then when questioned by her mother about her sexual experiences, she admitted that she had been raped when she was 12. The presenter's oh-so-charming follow-up question was 'Right … and is that the only experience you've had?' What sensitive, caring people they are. (Full story on that one is here:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/enetertainment/articles/2009/07/29/1248546762075.html)
--
BFN
Zaphod

RE: The Royals ~ - Duchess - 12-09-2012

(12-09-2012, 02:37 PM)zaphod Wrote: As Her Grace the Duchess of Mock has already said, these nurses have in effect committed professional suicide: patient confidentiality is a given in the nursing profession.

That was Aussie who said words to that effect. Smiley_emoticons_wink