Mock
The Royals ~ - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assholes In The News (https://mockforums.net/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: The Royals ~ (/thread-5107.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: The Royals ~ - zaphod - 12-09-2012

(12-09-2012, 02:46 PM)Duchess Wrote:
That was Aussie who said words to that effect. Smiley_emoticons_wink
Ah. Newbie not paying sufficient attention! Thanks for the correction.

It'll still be interesting to see whether (as I currently suspect) the baying press pack had anything to do with the tragic death of Mrs. Saldanha; and I hope you found the rest of my post interesting.
--
BFN
Zaphod

RE: The Royals ~ - Duchess - 12-09-2012

(12-09-2012, 04:28 PM)zaphod Wrote: It'll still be interesting to see whether (as I currently suspect) the baying press pack had anything to do with the tragic death of Mrs. Saldanha; and I hope you found the rest of my post interesting.

Hot D and a couple others suggested there was probably more going on with her & while this may have been the proverbial straw it wasn't simply the telephone call & I tend to agree with them.

You're wordy but you write beautifully so yeah, I found it interesting.

RE: The Royals ~ - aussiefriend - 12-09-2012

The DJs here in Oz are now receiving medical treatment and are said to be undergoing 'intensive counselling' following the backlash.

(12-09-2012, 04:33 PM)Duchess Wrote:
You're wordy but you write beautifully so yeah, I found it interesting.
Mmm, sorry about the old British disease of logorrhoea, Your Grace: I tend to write as I would speak. hah But likewise, thanks for your compliment: I'm blushing!

(12-09-2012, 04:40 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: The DJs here in Oz are now receiving medical treatment and are said to be undergoing 'intensive counselling' following the backlash.
Yes; and I hear that Mel has 'gone to ground' and Michael is holed up in a hotel in town (Sydney, I presume?).

They couldn't possibly have foreseen the tragic result of their prank, but that doesn't make me feel any sympathy for them. Hopefully though, this will put at least a temporary stop to the shenanigans of the more obnoxious Australian 'shock jocks.'
--
BFN
Zaphod

RE: The Royals ~ - NightOwl - 12-09-2012

(12-09-2012, 02:37 PM)zaphod Wrote: As a UK resident, I'll try to answer some of NightOwl's points.

Welcome to Mock!

zaphod, thank-you so much for your answer, great information!

You stated this paragraph, "And let's not forget the press. I don't know why Saldanha's name got out, and the 'other' nurse's name hasn't (as far as I know), but I'd bet that every journalist worth their salt would have tried to contact Saldanha. That alone (press harrassment) can be enough to turn some people suicidal. You can be sure that the coroner will be getting Saldanha's phone records from any and all phone companies she uses, and will be examining those closely." YES just how did Nurse Jacinth Saldanha name ever reach the Press and the nurse attending Kate no mention. Did this play a role?

Waiting on the Coroner's Report but, if the poor nurse did commit suicide then much more is involved than a prank phone call, being from India and take note India has a high suicide rate. Here she is adjusting to British life, we just don't know what kind of stress she was under, Nurse at a hospital for the wealthy & famous more stress! was she three days on duty and 3 off ? was family overseas being helped financially by her and her husband? she apparently was taking car driving lessons and she stated "I'm a very nervous person" just put it altogether and you have a very overwrought person! IMO

(12-09-2012, 04:40 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: The DJs here in Oz are now receiving medical treatment and are said to be undergoing 'intensive counselling' following the backlash.

They are 2 of the most attractive DJ's on the planet! hah

They will be pranked out after this one.

For the families sake in Britain and India I sure hope it isn't suicide and for these crazy DJ's, that would ease some of the pain here.

My prank phone calls from my youth are far more creative and funnier than theirs. I want some global attention too, I won't need any counselling.

Example of my work
"all you have to do is cluck 3 times and we put you on our cluck-meter and if you register you win family pack for four today and go into the draw to win a Daihatsu Hatchback"

(12-09-2012, 05:24 PM)NightOwl Wrote: Welcome to Mock!
Thanks! It's a pleasure to be here.

(12-09-2012, 05:24 PM)NightOwl Wrote: Here she is adjusting to British life
Um, not really. According to UK newspaper The Guardian, Jacintha and her husband moved to Britain nine years ago, having qualified as a nurse in India and pursuing further advanced nursing qualifications in Muscat after that. So she was neither inexperienced, nor a newcomer to England.

(12-09-2012, 05:24 PM)NightOwl Wrote: we just don't know what kind of stress she was under, Nurse at a hospital for the wealthy & famous more stress! was she three days on duty and 3 off ? was family overseas being helped financially by her and her husband?
I can't yet find any statement of how long she had been working at that hospital, but I think we can take it as read that a high-class hospital for the Very Well-Heeled in London would have their pick of Top Nursing Staff. Certainly the Guardian article I cited quotes Reverend Sister Aileen Mathias, chief nursing officer at the Father Muller Medical College where Mrs. Saldanha trained in Mangalore, India as saying she was: ‘… a very efficient, intelligent and lively personality, who had won laurels in her nursing studies.’

As to the 'other nurse,' it's possible (but I don't know) that that nurse was and is in the direct employ of the royal family. If so, that would certainly explain why her (or his?) identity has been kept out of the public domain.

Let's see what, if anything, is revealed by the inquest.
--
BFN
Zaphod

(12-09-2012, 06:08 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: My prank phone calls from my youth are far more creative and funnier than theirs.
Nice!

A favourite from my own youth (we're talking 1970) was to call someone at random, claiming to be from the phone company, and asking the callee to help us test the line by standing at various distances from the phone and whistling (for example) Colonel Bogey. Of course, this was purely for our own amusement, and not for radio broadcast, nor any wider audience than our own circle of friends.

More recently, one of our number at the small call centre I worked at last year would occasionally relieve the tedium on backshifts by calling a pizza restaurant and asking ‘Do you deliver?’ When they answered ‘Yes we do!’ he would say ‘Great! Then I'd like a pineapple and liver pizza, please!’ (Maybe this only works when said with a Scottish accent?) Again though, this was just for yuks for those present, and not for broadcast.
--
BFN
Zaphod

We used to ring up people and pretend to be the Taxation Office and we would like them to explain their taxation return.

When we rang up with the "Clucking Competition" people would actually cluck like chickens in order to win that free family pack for four. We always (laughing as I am writing this) would tell them they had won and that they needed to go to the local chicken place and mention the competition.

(12-09-2012, 06:08 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: My prank phone calls from my youth are far more creative and funnier than theirs. I want some global attention too, I won't need any counselling.

Example of my work
"all you have to do is cluck 3 times and we put you on our cluck-meter and if you register you win family pack for four today and go into the draw to win a Daihatsu Hatchback"

hahhah

RE: The Royals ~ - HairOfTheDog - 12-12-2012

The post-mortem exam of Nurse Saldahna (46 ys old) is complete. A couple of new confirmations in this UK Mail article (and photos) released today.

-Mrs Saldanha, whose body was found in the hospital's staff accommodation, lived there during the week and returned to the family home on weekends.

-She had been expected home as usual last Friday when police broke the news of her death.

-She had not told her family about the hoax; they hadn't watched the news or seen anything about it. They didn't know they were involved until after Jacintha's death. She left a suicide note (contents not revealed). Her family was not thrust into the spotlight as a result of the hoax, but instead as result of her suicide.

-She left behind a 17 year old son and 14 year old daughter.

-The results of the post-mortem examination are not yet known, and an inquest is due to be opened and adjourned tomorrow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245881/Royal-Hoax-Nurse-Jacintha-Saldanha-left-note-hanged-flat.html

Add:
It is confirmed that Saldanha was found hanged in her hospital flat. (same link as above post)

RE: The Royals ~ - username - 12-12-2012

Geez, her name might have never been known. I would have expected that someone would have leaked the info from the hospital but it doesn't seemed to have happened to nurse 2 yet

(12-12-2012, 07:45 PM)username Wrote: Geez, her name might have never been known. I would have expected that someone would have leaked the info from the hospital but it doesn't seemed to have happened to nurse 2 yet

Yes, her brother was quoted as saying she died of shame - must have meant internal shame because it seems clear that her name was never released publicly until she died, and her family had never been contacted by the press and didn't even know of the hoax.

To answer another question upthread, she had worked at the hospital for four years.

Snipped:
According to CNN’s Laura Smith-Spark, Saldanha should never have become a household name. But within a few hours of her apparent suicide her name was in headlines around the world. Her husband and two teenage children have said little, overwhelmed by the shocking death of a wife and mother thrust suddenly into the public eye.

The 46-year-old nurse moved to the UK from India a decade ago, and for the past four years, she had worked in the London hospital where Prince William’s wife was being treated for acute morning sickness.

http://fox4kc.com/2012/12/12/police-british-nurse-left-sucide-note-picture-emerges-of-loving-wife-mother-care-giver/

RE: The Royals ~ - ramseycat - 12-13-2012

I'm sorry but she had to have had a serious mental issue to commit suicide. No one in their right mind kills themselves because of shame or embarassment over a hoax. There were other signs that she was unstable that people either didn't pick up on or didn't feel were that serious.

RE: The Royals ~ - username - 12-13-2012

She may not have believed she could keep it quiet. As I said, I'm surprised the other nurse's name hasn't been leaked.

RE: The Royals ~ - HairOfTheDog - 12-13-2012

(12-13-2012, 11:27 AM)username Wrote: She may not have believed she could keep it quiet.

That may be true. Very extreme reaction no matter what.

The coroner report in the news today indicated that her wrists had also been damaged, she was hanging by a scarf in her wardrobe, and she had actually left 3 notes.

Very sad for her family.

RE: The Royals ~ - Midwest Spy - 12-13-2012

(12-13-2012, 08:01 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 11:27 AM)username Wrote: She may not have believed she could keep it quiet.

That may be true. Very extreme reaction no matter what.

The coroner report in the news today indicated that her wrists had also been damaged, she was hanging by a scarf in her wardrobe, and she had actually left 3 notes.

Very sad for her family.

Cultures vary too.

She was Indian. Obviously making a professional error in that society is something to be taken very seriously.

She and her family were immigrants in England. She probably thought that her career was over, and that her family (husband and kids) would suffer humiliation too.

I'm here to venture a guess that she was not depressed prior to this. I think the embarrassment and humiliation drove her to make a quick decision.

Very tragic. I feel for her kids especially. It's not like she gave up any Royal secrets.

Did she even call them one last time before killing herself?

RE: The Royals ~ - HairOfTheDog - 12-13-2012

I can see cultural factors possibly playing a part in her decision, MS.

Saldanha was an Indian woman, living in England, who worked and lived away from her home and children, and whose family and friends claim was a very active and devout Catholic... Shaming the family is taboo in a lot of cultures, but suicide is considered taboo and a sin amongst those of the Catholic faith, I believe. Could have been a lot of conflicting factors in her world.

Due to the timing, I don't doubt that the hoax contributed to her decision to commit suicide. Maybe it was the only contributing factor. IDK. I just don't think that's a given at this time. I do hope that the letters provide some explanation to her family; their ability to comprehend it could make a difference in how they deal with their loss. To me, it's just a sad story - no matter why she decided to take such drastic measures.