Mock
Nuclear Meltdown? - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Nuclear Meltdown? (/thread-5110.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Nuclear Meltdown? - Midwest Spy - 03-16-2011

It looks like things are taking a turn for the worse in Japan at the stricken nuclear facility:

"This is a situation where people may be called in to sacrifice their lives. ... It's very difficult for me to contemplate that but it's, it may have reached that point."

That was a quote from a U.S. official trying to explain how the situation could be rectified.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - Midwest Spy - 03-16-2011

Thought I'd give proper journalistic credit here:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/16/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T1#

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - username - 03-16-2011

Yep. I've got CNN on now. The situation is being called "dire" now. I don't even like being on the west Coast of the U.S. right now--I'm amazed there hasn't been panic in Japan. This is awful to watch.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - Midwest Spy - 03-16-2011

(03-16-2011, 07:08 PM)username Wrote: Yep. I've got CNN on now. The situation is being called "dire" now. I don't even like being on the west Coast of the U.S. right now--I'm amazed there hasn't been panic in Japan. This is awful to watch.

I'm reminded of the astronauts from 'Armageddon' who basically were asked to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. Pretty amazing stuff.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - Maggot - 03-16-2011

Amazingly when this thing melts down through the earth and out the other side it comes up right under Imadicks house.

(03-16-2011, 07:56 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: I'm reminded of the astronauts from 'Armageddon' who basically were asked to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. Pretty amazing stuff.

True. Signs_173

(03-16-2011, 08:16 PM)Maggot Wrote: Amazingly when this thing melts down through the earth and out the other side it comes up right under Imadicks house.

Like water seeks the lowest level?

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - Lady Cop - 03-16-2011

NYTimes
A United Nations forecast of the possible movement of the radioactive plume coming from crippled Japanese reactors shows it churning across the Pacific and touching the Aleutian Islands on Thursday before hitting Southern California late Friday.

Health and nuclear experts emphasize that radiation in the plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States, even if hints of it are ultimately detectable. In a similar way, radiation from the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 spread around the globe and reached the West Coast of the United States in 10 days, its levels measurable but minuscule.

The projection, by the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization, an arm of the United Nations in Vienna, gives no information about actual radiation levels but only shows how a radioactive plume would probably move and disperse.

i have read some doctors' comments about the uselessness of the iodine caps. sorry i can't cite sources. just around the net.

[Image: article-1366920-0B368F8C00000578-782_964x315.jpg]

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - username - 03-17-2011

I just don't want my kids exposed to this shit. That's all.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - rothschild - 03-18-2011

To a great extent this is the chickens coming home to roost, as the Japanese gov't knew that TEPCO had falsified safety data on several occasions and that the reactors couldn't withstand a severe earthquake. On top of that, the Jap gov't failed to respond decisively by getting generators to the reactors to get the cooling back on line. Now they're asking for help but it may well be too late.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - username - 03-18-2011

(03-18-2011, 04:01 PM)rothschild Wrote: On top of that, the Jap gov't failed to respond decisively by getting generators to the reactors to get the cooling back on line. Now they're asking for help but it may well be too late.

"By Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Japan Public Affairs

YOKOSUKA, Japan (NNS) -- The U.S. Navy provided five high-capacity pumping systems to Japan's Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Group Nuclear Asset Management Department to assist in the efforts to cool the core of the damaged No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power plant March 17."

I heard this yesterday and the question was posed "why wasn't this done earlier?" and the response was "because Japan didn't ask".

WTF???

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - Maggot - 03-18-2011

I hate to say it but any press release for any of this will be toned down. The Japs do not want to lose face and the only ones monitoring the radiation levels are governments. In that I have little faith going by what I have seen over the last 30 yrs. 3 mile island was kept hush-hush for a long time. I wonder if there are any private monitoring stations out there?

(03-18-2011, 04:07 PM)username Wrote: "By Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Japan Public Affairs

YOKOSUKA, Japan (NNS) -- The U.S. Navy provided five high-capacity pumping systems to Japan's Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Group Nuclear Asset Management Department to assist in the efforts to cool the core of the damaged No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power plant March 17."

I heard this yesterday and the question was posed "why wasn't this done earlier?" and the response was "because Japan didn't ask".

WTF???

It's like they have no serious contingency capability, which is pretty strange considering the size of their economy. But that's what corruption does. And we'd all do well to take note.

Could be the fail of the century but I hope not.

(03-18-2011, 04:14 PM)Maggot Wrote: I hate to say it but any press release for any of this will be toned down. The Japs do not want to lose face and the only ones monitoring the radiation levels are governments. In that I have little faith going by what I have seen over the last 30 yrs. 3 mile island was kept hush-hush for a long time. I wonder if there are any private monitoring stations out there?

It's out of their hands now that they've acknowledged that this is international in scope. Thankfully.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - BlueTiki - 03-18-2011

(03-18-2011, 04:25 PM)rothschild Wrote: It's like they have no serious contingency capability, which is pretty strange considering the size of their economy. But that's what corruption does. And we'd all do well to take note.

Find out if the Japanese government is an "owner" of the facility or the parent company. Think: Silent Investor.

Their response could be another Flight 123 incident.

Cliff Note Version:

Gov't delayed rescue to minimize survivors.

Follow the money.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - IMaDick - 03-18-2011

(03-18-2011, 08:50 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(03-18-2011, 04:25 PM)rothschild Wrote: It's like they have no serious contingency capability, which is pretty strange considering the size of their economy. But that's what corruption does. And we'd all do well to take note.

Find out if the Japanese government is an "owner" of the facility or the parent company. Think: Silent Investor.

Cliff Note Version:

Follow the money.

Hmmmm, This could likely be the truth, they really need more beaches and open areas in Japan.

(03-18-2011, 08:50 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: Find out if the Japanese government is an "owner" of the facility or the parent company. Think: Silent Investor.

Cliff Note Version:

Follow the money.

I can see that logic applying to 911 but I don't see what the payoff would be for the Japanese gov't.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - username - 03-18-2011

Tiki, thank you for the Cliff Notes versions! hah

Still, I don't believe they staged their lack of response. 9.0 earthquake followed by massive Tsunami, followed by crisis at the nuclear power plants. I don't think they delayed anything (except maybe information--either because they didn't have it, or they wanted to save face or avoid panic) intentionally. I think they were just woefully unprepared for something of this magnitude.

I doubt the U.S. ability to handle a crisis of that magnitude. Hell, look what we did with Katrina. Smiley_emoticons_slash

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - Maggot - 03-18-2011

Yeah, I can only imagine what would happen if Cali had a major earthquake! Smiley_emoticons_shocked

Oops You would be fine username ...........just.......errrr.....fine.

RE: Nuclear Meltdown? - IMaDick - 03-18-2011

(03-18-2011, 09:45 PM)username Wrote: Tiki, thank you for the Cliff Notes versions! hah

Still, I don't believe they staged their lack of response. 9.0 earthquake followed by massive Tsunami, followed by crisis at the nuclear power plants. I don't think they delayed anything (except maybe information--either because they didn't have it, or they wanted to save face or avoid panic) intentionally. I think they were just woefully unprepared for something of this magnitude.

I doubt the U.S. ability to handle a crisis of that magnitude. Hell, look what we did with Katrina. Smiley_emoticons_slash

Do you really believe that in all of japan there is not one big diesel generator and some water pumps?