Mock
2012 ELECTION - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: POLITICS (https://mockforums.net/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2012 ELECTION (/thread-5690.html)

RE: 2012 ELECTION - HairOfTheDog - 08-14-2012

(08-14-2012, 12:32 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(08-14-2012, 11:23 AM)Jimbone Wrote: The scariest number in those charts is the fact that we borrowed 43% of the revenue needed to operate.

Imagine running your house or business like that.

Many companies operate kind of like that, they have a credit account at the bank that constantly changes, money goes in, money goes out there is never an overdraft. Schools do it all year. Not at 43% but usually at 12-20% sometimes its for payroll or insurance. Companies that do better at certain times of the year like a skiing school or resort. It is paid back with interest and they do not go under. With the government its "the skys the limit" approach because as a business the government is a monopoly in most aspects.

This is true. Many businesses and households live largely on credit that gets paid back (for some) later.

But, a business or household that is functioning in such a manner can't stay afloat for the long term without cutting inefficiency and spending, rather than (or along with) scurrying to find new income sources to chase increasing debt. Otherwise, it will go OOB or into bankruptcy eventually. Or, it will just keep borrowing until the debt is insurmountable and the lenders (and tax payers in the case of govt) push back and the operation collapses.

Our current government is not looking enough at reduction and solid future projections/planning, imo. We need to cut and privatize wherever possible (which means changing the expectation regarding some entitlements - unpopular, but mandatory imo).

RE: 2012 ELECTION - username - 08-14-2012

With regards to cost reductions, I'd like to see everything on the table. The entitlement programs certainly but how much money is wasted on the holy grail of defense spending? While I appreciate the strength of our armed services, do we really need to be spending something like more than the combined totals of the 11 countries behind us?

Public pension reform. Labor unions ought to go bye-bye (we have enough state and federal laws protecting workers these days)...

So much we could do.

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Maggot - 08-14-2012

People bitch about the tea party, and people that want less spending calling them radicals, fruitcakes and all kinds of stupid things, but without someone pushing back government spending would have run roughshod over the top of everyones head a long time ago.

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Maggot - 08-14-2012

(08-14-2012, 12:48 PM)username Wrote: With regards to cost reductions, I'd like to see everything on the table. The entitlement programs certainly but how much money is wasted on the holy grail of defense spending? While I appreciate the strength of our armed services, do we really need to be spending something like more than the combined totals of the 11 countries behind us?

Public pension reform. Labor unions ought to go bye-bye (we have enough state and federal laws protecting workers these days)...

So much we could do.

China and Russia do not tell anyone what they spend on the military.

(08-14-2012, 12:57 PM)Maggot Wrote: People bitch about the tea party, and people that want less spending calling them radicals, fruitcakes and all kinds of stupid things, but without someone pushing back government spending would have run roughshod over the top of everyones head a long time ago.

There are extremists on both ends of the political spectrum; I don't characterize them generally as fruitcakes on either end (though there are some fruitcakes in any large group).

I do wish that the parties could plan and work together for the good of the country, rather than seemingly being more interested in getting a "win" for their party. Every elected official and his/her appointees need to do their jobs, which is supposed to be representing us to the best of their abilities. Since that's not happening at the federal level at this time, I don't disagree that outcries from groups like the Tea Partiers and Ron Paul's contingency help to keep the sitting party from potentially going further over the top; checks and balances. JMO.

(08-14-2012, 12:58 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(08-14-2012, 12:48 PM)username Wrote: With regards to cost reductions, I'd like to see everything on the table. The entitlement programs certainly but how much money is wasted on the holy grail of defense spending? While I appreciate the strength of our armed services, do we really need to be spending something like more than the combined totals of the 11 countries behind us?

So much we could do.

China and Russia do not tell anyone what they spend on the military.

I just heard that "11 countries combined" statement so I can't verify that right now but I did find the following regarding China. Accurate? Dunno.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-04/china-says-defense-spending-will-increase-11-2-to-106-4-billion-in-2012.html

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Midwest Spy - 08-14-2012

God, I wish Arnold Schwarzenegger(sp?) and Jesse Ventura were running on a ticket together, for a myriad of reasons.

I'd be happy to PM you the details (for a small $50 investment).

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Jimbone - 08-14-2012

(08-14-2012, 02:35 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: God, I wish Arnold Schwarzenegger(sp?) and Jesse Ventura were running on a ticket together, for a myriad of reasons.

They both have enough action figures around to make a seriously cool sequel to Ventura's campaign commercials.

(08-14-2012, 02:35 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: God, I wish Arnold Schwarzenegger(sp?) and Jesse Ventura were running on a ticket together, for a myriad of reasons.

With Carl Weathers as Secretary of State? Hell no, with our without Weathers. Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd8Vs5gry1Z9xLPrkDyXB...e2tZqZ0tFl]

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Midwest Spy - 08-14-2012

(08-14-2012, 03:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

With Carl Weathers as Secretary of State? Hell no, with our without Weathers. Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd8Vs5gry1Z9xLPrkDyXB...e2tZqZ0tFl]

If Carl Weathers was on ANY ticket, he'd have my vote instantly.

I don't really know anything about Jesse Ventura but it scared the shit out of me when I saw him on a few talk shows and I found myself nodding in agreement with some of his beliefs.

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Riotgear - 08-14-2012

Once a SEAL always a SEAL. Mr Ventura is an Agent Provocateur. Paid.

However, FUCK YES I'LL TAKE THAT DREAMTEAM.

And the crazy bald black guy from Predator who'll bleed me quiet-like and leave me behind if I keep ghosting us.

RE: 2012 ELECTION - username - 08-19-2012

For largely selfish reasons, I'm leaning towards voting for Romney. Fuck it. My family makes over $250k (which doesn't mean much in CA). Our governor wants to raise our taxes or he's threatening to cut the school year by 3 weeks. And then there's Obama's plan to let the tax cuts expire over $250k.

Supposedly, tax rates are at their lowest in some 50 years. I don't necessarily want any cuts but I'm fucking bothered by the 47% who pay nothing and lazy fuckers who milk the system.

I don't want to pay another dime until somebody starts fixing this shit. I don't think Romney will but at least he'll largely stay out of my pockets.

Hrumph.

And furthermore...

We don't pay our fair share? We don't have giant deductions or tax havens...

25-33% ( or more...not sure what our tax rate is) on $250k+ is a fucking lot of money. Screw that.

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Riotgear - 08-19-2012

(08-19-2012, 01:35 PM)username Wrote: I don't think Romney will but at least he'll largely stay out of my pockets.

Care to put some money on that?

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Jimbone - 08-19-2012

That's all your paying? And you claim to be paying your fair share? HA!

Here in NY when you throw in the property taxes, the effective tax rate for higher earners ($250K+) can get into the 40-50% range. It's such bullshit it's not even funny.

Good old Jerry Brown is going to put you all over the barrel for sure. Amazing to me that he continues to get elected out there.

(08-19-2012, 02:00 PM)Jimbone Wrote: That's all your paying? And you claim to be paying your fair share?

Did you not read the part about not knowing the exact tax rate? And I wasn't including property taxes although ours are small thanks to prop 13.

I think somewhere around 6 figures in income taxes is enough when so many don't contribute a dime.

(08-19-2012, 01:57 PM)Riotgear Wrote:
(08-19-2012, 01:35 PM)username Wrote: I don't think Romney will but at least he'll largely stay out of my pockets.

He'll "get" me on social security/ medi-care I suppose but that's down the road and we won't be entirely reliant on either.

I'm just unwilling to vote to raise my taxes when there's so much waste and abuse and partisanship in the current system. If the rebublocrats could have come to some sound compromise that involved some rate increases, I might feel differently.

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Duchess - 08-19-2012

Is there anything being done in Washington right now to help the taxpayer? Has anything been done the last several years? Serious question because I can't think of anything other than talk of war & that damn healthcare bs.

RE: 2012 ELECTION - Riotgear - 08-19-2012

(08-19-2012, 02:31 PM)username Wrote:
(08-19-2012, 01:57 PM)Riotgear Wrote:

He'll "get" me on social security/ medi-care I suppose but that's down the road and we won't be entirely reliant on either.

I'm just unwilling to vote to raise my taxes when there's so much waste and abuse and partisanship in the current system. If the rebublocrats could have come to some sound compromise that involved some rate increases, I might feel differently.

When/if the mothership lands I'm pulling a Lot-outta-Sodom.