Mock
Syria - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Syria (/thread-5869.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Syria - Mohammed - 09-01-2013

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/robert-fisk-once-washington-made-the-middle-east-tremble--nowno-one-there-takes-it-seriously-8793321.html

Nice article really.

RE: Syria - NightOwl - 09-02-2013

(09-01-2013, 04:25 PM)Mohammed Wrote: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/robert-fisk-once-washington-made-the-middle-east-tremble--nowno-one-there-takes-it-seriously-8793321.html

Nice article really.

Thanks! for putting this article up very good read. I was shocked to read more bombing going on in Tripoli, Lebanon, it is just non stop killing. This Syrian nightmare just where is it all going to end up?

I just took this from Reuters August 30th

Reuters) - Lebanon on Friday charged five men, including a Sunni Muslim cleric close to the Syrian government, over bomb attacks on two mosques in the northern city of Tripoli last week that killed at least 42 people, judicial sources said.

They said a military court accused Sheikh Ahmad Gharib and Mostafa Houri of forming an armed group to attack government institutions, organizing a terrorist cell and preparing the bombs against the two Sunni mosques in Tripoli.

Two other men, including a Syrian military officer, were charged in absentia with placing the bombs at the mosques. Sheikh Hesham Minkara, another pro-Syrian government Sunni cleric, was being held on charges of withholding information from investigators.

The bombings, which also wounded hundreds, escalated sectarian strife that has spilled over from the civil war in Syria where President Bashar al-Assad, from the minority Alawite sect, is facing a largely Sunni-led insurgency against his rule.

Syria had a military presence in Lebanon for 29 years before pulling out in 2005, during which it made allies from different Lebanese sects. But with sectarian tensions growing, only a few Lebanese Sunnis now remain supportive of Damascus.

(Reporting By Stephen Kalin; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

RE: Syria - crash - 09-02-2013

I watched my US shares take a slide over the past few days on the hunch that the big O is going to pick a fight with Syria...

How many wars can you really afford to fight with a half fucked economy before the patriotism begins to crack?

RE: Syria - Duchess - 09-02-2013

Obama & Kerry should be asking Bill & Hillary for advice. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Even though it's meaningless I'd be interested in knowing what Hillary would suggest at a time like this.

Check out this pic. It was taken in 2009. Do you recognize the players?

[Image: article-2408805-1B94E57D000005DC-279_634x575.jpg]

RE: Syria - NightOwl - 09-02-2013

Taken from English Al Arabiya. Ali Ferzat made me hah

A ‘pain in the Assad?’ Syrian cartoonist speaks out from exile
Tuesday, 20 August 2013

[Image: 1?x=0&y=0]

“Of all the arts, cartoons stand on the frontline against dictators,” Ferzat said.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety/2013/08/20/A-pain-in-the-Assad-Syrian-cartoonist-speaks-out-from-exile.html

RE: Syria - username - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 07:15 AM)crash Wrote: How many wars can you really afford to fight with a half fucked economy before the patriotism begins to crack?

I think Americans are as patriotic as ever but look how well Egypt, Iraq and Afghanistan have worked out. *sarcasm*

This idea that we need to drop bombs on Syria to teach them a lesson and maintain our "cred" is interesting. Most people (except McCain) aren't really advocating for a regime change (because the rebels are near as fucked up as Assad as far as we can tell). So yeah, we launch a few tomahawk missiles on specific targets in Syria so we can say "we told you so" and piss off Russia and Iran even more, then pat ourselves on the back for our great morals and go about our business. Great! Just fucking great!

"Speak softly and carry a big stick". I think the world knows largely what we're capable of militarily. I don't think we need to be freaking show offs, for chrissake.

The problem is Obama made the "red line" statement. HE does look like an asshole if he doesn't follow through. I hope congress votes against it. I can't believe they weren't even called back from holiday on this issue (lack of urgency, anyone?). Obama wins (in some respects) no matter what. If congress votes yes, he can bomb with some impunity and blame it on congress. If they vote no, he can shrug and say, "well, I have to listen to the will of the people". Either way, congress takes the heat.

RE: Syria - Duchess - 09-03-2013

(09-02-2013, 05:24 PM)username Wrote: This idea that we need to drop bombs on Syria to teach them a lesson and maintain our "cred" is interesting.

I'm reading so many comments to that affect & all of them are coming from educated people. Most adults I know left that way of thinking on the playground. I agree with your comment about the world knowing what we are capable of, that we don't need to show off. The Prez never should have made the comment/s he did last year. What the hell was he thinking. 78

RE: Syria - HairOfTheDog - 09-03-2013

British Parliament's rejection of a strike, and Prime Minister Cameron's concession to that vote, changed the whole game in terms of Obama's strategy, IMO.

Had the UK been ready to move forward, I think Obama would have led the charge and launched a strike, without a Congressional vote.

Relieved that the US is not physically engaging without some strategic plans in place; plans reviewed by more than just the President's inner circle and with due consideration regarding what impact US military action at this time would have on Syria and other countries, in the mid to long term.

(If the US was being attacked within our borders, however, I'd not be hesitant about moving forward loudly and quickly.)

RE: Syria - username - 09-03-2013

(09-03-2013, 08:11 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-02-2013, 05:24 PM)username Wrote: This idea that we need to drop bombs on Syria to teach them a lesson and maintain our "cred" is interesting.

I'm reading so many comments to that affect & all of them are coming from educated people. Most adults I know left that way of thinking on the playground. I agree with your comment about the world knowing what we are capable of, that we don't need to show off. The Prez never should have made the comment/s he did last year. What the hell was he thinking. 78

Christiane Amanpour (who I typically respect) said on CNN last night that it would be devastating to American credibility and the administration if congress votes NOT to strike Syria. I don't know why the hell we have to bomb these fuckers to maintain some credibility. People might not take us seriously in the middle east? Whoop de doo. There's a time and a place for us to intervene militarily and this just might NOT be it.

The thinking is that now Assad will feel free to use chemical weapons on a larger scale (yeah, like that wouldn't push us/the world in to a response) AND that Iran will think it can go ahead and develop its nuclear weapons program because obviously, America won't intervene. Stupid assumptions.

I agree that this stuff should be left on the playground. I also agree with HotD that a direct threat to the United States would be an entirely different matter.

Trigger happy idiots.

I happen to think there is much to be said about being underestimated. I feel it allows people some leeway & some time to line their ducks up. Speaking only from a personal standpoint I would prefer to be underestimated rather than have people watching & waiting for action. I'd rather do the unexpected at an unknown time, I think there's more power in that because people become complacent.

RE: Syria - Mohammed - 09-03-2013

I stopped watching CNN many years ago as it is just hilariously obvious how much of a PR machine they are purely for America and whoever is running it.

http://intellihub.com/2013/08/29/cnn-correspondent-syria-exposed-actor-caught-multiple-lies/

RE: Syria - username - 09-03-2013

I'll have to watch the videos at home but that's beyond disturbing and yet I feel I shouldn't be surprised. The days of unbiased, truthful journalism are gone. I think in some respects we've been cursed by advances in technology. "News" comes out so quickly, it's no surprise it's getting more sloppy and staged for ratings/bias.

Yuk.

I miss Walter Cronkite even though I wasn't watching much news during his day.

(09-03-2013, 01:14 PM)Mohammed Wrote: http://intellihub.com/2013/08/29/cnn-correspondent-syria-exposed-actor-caught-multiple-lies/

Oh...My...God! Taz

RE: Syria - Jimbone - 09-03-2013

This will all end well I am sure.

RE: Syria - FAHQTOO - 09-03-2013

An ABC poll I just saw on the news says that 36% of Americans think we should bomb Syria. I call BULLSHIT. Who are these people and where did they find them?
I have yet to read any comment on any article I've read to find anyone in support of this.
We will bomb them. It's not going to end well at all.
I saw that crazy fucker on the news last night basically daring us to bomb them.
Who's ready for WW3?

(09-03-2013, 05:45 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: An ABC poll I just saw on the news says that 36% of Americans think we should bomb Syria. I call BULLSHIT.

I call bullshit too! I haven't encountered anyone, anywhere who is agreeable to that. My friends in the real world think like all of us in here do.

RE: Syria - ramseycat - 09-03-2013

(09-03-2013, 05:45 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: An ABC poll I just saw on the news says that 36% of Americans think we should bomb Syria. I call BULLSHIT. Who are these people and where did they find them?
I have yet to read any comment on any article I've read to find anyone in support of this.
We will bomb them. It's not going to end well at all.
I saw that crazy fucker on the news last night basically daring us to bomb them.
Who's ready for WW3?

There is a thing in my FB feed about rep Andy Harris from MD. People are calling in to express their feelings about the US getting involved in the Syria mess. 534 people voted against us getting involved and 4 people voted for it. I think it's safe to say the majority does not want us going over there.

RE: Syria - HairOfTheDog - 09-03-2013

(09-03-2013, 05:57 PM)Duchess Wrote: I haven't encountered anyone, anywhere who is agreeable to that.

What about my friend aussie?

She's been calling for a major show of force by the US for quite a while now.

(09-03-2013, 08:18 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: What about my friend aussie?

She's been calling for a major show of force by the US for quite a while now.

Whoopsie. Maybe this will get buried & she won't see I neglected to mention her.

RE: Syria - Maggot - 09-03-2013

If I was President I would bomb Iranian oil and cut the snakes head off. Let Israel take out the The Iranian reactors, use Iraq as a base against Somalia. Take all the refuges and put them in Iraq then take all their oil as payment to feed them as they take over the manufacturing sector from China. Russia can find their own meal ticket but stay the fuck away from Alaska. If I was President.