Mock
Mickey Shunick, murdered. 22, La. vanished riding her bike - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Mickey Shunick, murdered. 22, La. vanished riding her bike (/thread-8032.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - Miss Conspiracy - 05-30-2012

(05-30-2012, 01:11 AM)NightOwl Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 12:24 AM)Miss Conspiracy Wrote: Not one ounce of me thinks it's Brettly. It is some sick psychopath that will be caught soon.
and I think the reason they disposed the bike instead of "just leaving" it there, is because the perp had to look it over first to see if there was any evidence left on it, and if there was.. to wipe it off.

To me it's the white truck, that is screaming at me. How has it not been identified or the owner come forward by now, if he is innocent?

The rear wheel on the bike could have been banged up purposely to make it look like someone hit the bike, the forensic lab boys can determine if the bike was hit by a car or if someone faked it.

They want to find the owner of the white truck and the others because they appear about the same time as Mickey, the police already stated they are not suspects they just want to talk to them.

That is a nice way of talking by the police, so they can get the people in. I believe they like to say "persons of interest" which they have referred to the vehicle owners as.... I'm sure if the police said they are suspects and would like to speak with them, those people would sure as hell not come in. they are being cautious.

one thing is for sure... I cannot wait to hear the results from the forensics team. Right now we can speculate til we turn blue in the face!! lol

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - Miss Conspiracy - 05-30-2012

(05-30-2012, 01:16 AM)HellNurse Wrote: I read that the police stated that only the handgrips were removed. Did you read that the entire handlebars were off the bike?

Why was Mickey taking a dangerous route through an area that was more unsafe than other routes? Many young adults don't think that bad things can happen to them, but it was almost 2:00 am in a city that is not known for safety.

I read the article. It does not state that the hand grips were removed, it says that the hand grips were separated from the handlebar, to me that just means they were not ON the bike, doesn't necessarily say how. They also say (about the bike being struck by a vehicle) "We do not know that for 100 percent that that's where the damage came from. We don't know if the bike was found and then damaged, or damaged when it was placed out beneath the bridge."

It's still all just a big question until they get some results from forensics.

On your second point, I have no idea why she would have taken that route. What are you thinking about on that?

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - koko - 05-30-2012

Usually i'd check this out myself but it is 5:30 and Im on my phone already having a hard time keeping my eyes open...but another thought has crossed my mind:

Are there bars in the area of mickey's route? Im thinking maybe some creep (or 2 as SS suggested) was out at a bar, and was headed home when the opportunity to grab mickey "presented itself".

If nothing else maybe one or more of the 3 cars LE is looking for belongs to a bar patron and someone there could help connect the car to a driver? Just to identify them and see what they know.

I hope this is actually as coherent as i think it is. On that note i will clarify if needed tomorrow. My eyes are burrrrrrrnnning lol

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - Lady Cop - 05-30-2012

i still think a stranger would have grabbed her off the street and let the bike fall where it was. there was no reason to take the bike.

and this is new to me overnight, that the hand-grips of bike were off (removed). someone was worried about prints, as they would have retained prints.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - Jezreel - 05-30-2012

Since they found the handgrips, I hope they do contain prints of the perp, they also didn't do a great job of disposing of them. I'm not sure this is the smartest perp out there. I think they dumped the bike where they did, as it's a known dumping ground, they probably thought no one would take notice.
Just a thought.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - Cheyne - 05-30-2012

(05-30-2012, 07:46 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: i still think a stranger would have grabbed her off the street and let the bike fall where it was. there was no reason to take the bike.

and this is new to me overnight, that the hand-grips of bike were off (removed). someone was worried about prints, as they would have retained prints.

This is the crux of the crime IMO. If I was an opportunistic perp, saw Mickey riding at 2 am, and hit her bike with my [car, pick-up], there is NO reason to take the bike. Taking the bike is a liability in several ways.

I have to subdue Mickey and get her in my vehicle. (Even if she hit her head and was knocked unconscious, I still have to move her body into my vehicle.)
Then I have to pick-up the bike and put it in my trunk or the back of my pick-up.
I then have the bike in my vehicle as I am driving 27 miles to dump it in the Whiskey Bay area.
Once there, I have to get the bike out of the trunk/pick-up bed and dispose of it.

The time to remove and dump the bike doesn't make sense if the perp is a stranger to Mickey. The bike would tie him to the crime for an inordinate amount of time. Why would a random perp drive 54 miles round trip to dump a bike that could have his fingerprints and tie him to Mickey if he is stopped by LE?

The only reason to dump the bike IMO is if the perp who grabbed Mickey left it lay there and someone else stole the bike off the street. The bike thief then finds out that the bike is connected to a crime and dumps it far away so s/he isn't connected to the abduction. However, 27 miles is a long way to go to dump a bike you stole.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - sharit - 05-30-2012

JMO, If the bike was found and not Mickey, foul play would have been in the picture immediately. Could she have had such a tight grip that when she was hit the grips came off? I do not think Brettly is involved. Dork yes, murderer, doubt it. I feel she was a victim of opportunity. Hate to say it but I feel she is dead. Hope they find the owners of the vehicles in question.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - racine - 05-30-2012

Hello everyone, have been following this case a little and don't if this has been brought up, but if police don't think the bike was thrown from the bridge because of traffic/lack of a shoulder, I wonder if they were able to get some tire tracks from where the vehicle may have parked to toss the bike.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - HellNurse - 05-30-2012

(05-30-2012, 01:33 AM)Miss Conspiracy Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 01:16 AM)HellNurse Wrote: I read that the police stated that only the handgrips were removed. Did you read that the entire handlebars were off the bike?

Why was Mickey taking a dangerous route through an area that was more unsafe than other routes? Many young adults don't think that bad things can happen to them, but it was almost 2:00 am in a city that is not known for safety.

I read the article. It does not state that the hand grips were removed, it says that the hand grips were separated from the handlebar, to me that just means they were not ON the bike, doesn't necessarily say how. They also say (about the bike being struck by a vehicle) "We do not know that for 100 percent that that's where the damage came from. We don't know if the bike was found and then damaged, or damaged when it was placed out beneath the bridge."

It's still all just a big question until they get some results from forensics.

On your second point, I have no idea why she would have taken that route. What are you thinking about on that?
I'm not sure what to think because she lived there all her life and knew the route she took was more unsafe than other routes.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - HellNurse - 05-30-2012

None of her other items have been found on this route (that we know about), so if the killer hit her with his car, he stopped to pick up her scattered belongings to take them with him? I can't see a random killer taking the time to do this. It would take too much time just like picking up her bike and putting it in his car or truck. I wonder if Mickey was abducted much closer to her home where someone sat in wait for her and residential trees and bushes gave him time to discretely pick up her belongings and load them with her.

KATC

Lafayette police have ruled out two vehicles of interest in Mickey Shunick's disappearance, but detectives still need information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck. Detectives have identified the drivers and passengers in both the older 4-door car and the white 4-door pickup truck with the bed cover. "Investigators have ruled out any involvement by these individuals and they offered no additional clues for the investigation. Investigators continue to seek information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck," said Cpl. Paul Mouton. The Z-71 truck is the first picture of a vehicle Lafayette police released on Friday, May 25. The picture shows a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street. The truck and Shunick were captured on surveillance video.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - chaze77 - 05-30-2012

So here's a random thought... what if (as some have already speculated), the disappearances of Lauren Spierer and Mickey Shunick are connected? In both cases, if I recall correctly, police are looking for a white truck seen on surveillance footage mere moments before the 2 girls disappeared. That said, one case is in IN, the other in LA- however, both are college towns.

Is it possible that yes, both cases are connected, and that's why the perp dumped the bike at Whiskey Bay exit, instead of any of the other equally creepy but lesser known secluded locales? Maybe the perp is not familiar with the area where Mickey was snatched from, but is enough of a true crime buff that he knows about Whiskey Bay (it is pretty notorious, right?). That could explain the decision to dump the bike there. It would also explain why the owner of the white truck has yet to be identified- if he isn't a local, no one would know who he was.

Does anyone know if the white truck in the Spierer footage was ever identified? Also, in the released footage in the Mickey Shunick case, can we see any part of the license plate? I realize we probably can't get the plate number, but am wondering if we can tell whether it's a LA plate or not.

Just some thoughts... back to work I go.

the police in both jurisdictions have said they do not believe there is any connection. neither do i for what it's worth.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - chaze77 - 05-30-2012

My first inclination is that this was someone local, personally known to Mickey. That's definitely where I think this thing is going to ultimately end up. That said, seems a lot of people are convinced that this is a random thing. I dunno...

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - shitstorm - 05-30-2012

Come on you guys, Brettly was interrogated for 16 hours, his house, car and computer were searched, and there is no evidence whatsoever of some unrequited love thing. Mickey's friend, Ashley, who has been on TV and was with her at Artmosphere, states that Mickey and Brettly were planning on moving to New Orleans as roommates. I don't find Brettly weird, at all. He's geeky, a vegan, and like the kind of person you find around the natural foods types. What's wrong with that?! He's the kind of kid I would have hung around with. I always hated the big, dumb jocks and the hunter/rednecks, and gravitated toward the sensitive, intellectual kids. I could easily see having Brettly as my friend. As for people asking why he would 'let' Mickey ride her bike, that wasn't his choice. He was her friend not her boss. Her sister said she did what she wanted do and I'll bet her relationship with Brettly was that of equals. Nobody told me what to do at 22 and I did lots of risky stuff (in hindsight). My friends didn't try to stop me because they did the same kind of stuff. Remember, too, that Mickey was with several friends and they all knew she was biking. This was normal, no matter how it might look in light of what happened. Lafayette is Mickey's hometown and I have no doubt that she felt comfortable there. She biked all over, at all hours and so did lots of other kids. From what I've read, Lafayette was considered a safe town until the crap moved in after Katrina. Mickey avoided riding down Congress (the shortest route) where some of that ilk hang around. Also, when I see ghetto dwellers, I don't think serial killers, I think of getting mugged. She carried mace and probably thought being on a bike was safe compared to walking. Until that night, she was right.

Imagine being the last person to see someone who has gone missing. While it's understandable that LE has to eliminate you as a suspect, it's downright scary that shitloads of people on the internet pick apart everything about you and have you being a murderer. That is fucked up. What I actually much more weird is how Mickey's mother, who lived with Mickey, wasn't worried as soon as she found Mickey not home in the morning. I guess they are the kind of family who do their own thing and don't make much of someone not being home.

(05-30-2012, 01:23 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: KATC

Lafayette police have ruled out two vehicles of interest in Mickey Shunick's disappearance, but detectives still need information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck. Detectives have identified the drivers and passengers in both the older 4-door car and the white 4-door pickup truck with the bed cover. "Investigators have ruled out any involvement by these individuals and they offered no additional clues for the investigation. Investigators continue to seek information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck," said Cpl. Paul Mouton. The Z-71 truck is the first picture of a vehicle Lafayette police released on Friday, May 25. The picture shows a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street. The truck and Shunick were captured on surveillance video.

Sounds like the people in those vehicles didn't see anything. Bummer.

well i will be a lot more comfortable when LE says he has been eliminated as a possible person of interest. and that he passed a poly. Smiley_emoticons_smile

remaining vehicle that has not been accounted for:

[Image: 543551_10150956322766969_1341399629_n.jpg]

(05-30-2012, 12:33 PM)HellNurse Wrote: I'm not sure what to think because she lived there all her life and knew the route she took was more unsafe than other routes.

No, that's not that right. I've been reading lots of stuff from people who live there and they have always seen their town as safe. Most agree that they would have avoided the same part of Congress that Mickey did.

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - IMaDick - 05-30-2012

I flew over the area in my vitual airplane, it won't be easy to find anything there.

(05-30-2012, 01:58 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: well i will be a lot more comfortable when LE says he has been eliminated as a possible person of interest. and that he passed a poly. Smiley_emoticons_smile

They did say that there was no reason to believe Brettly had anything to do with Mickey's disappearance. Also said he took a poly but don't talk about it with the public.

I read that the owner of the white pick up in the Spierer case came forward on his own and was eliminated.

Re Mickey's bike being taken: If her abductor(s) hit her bike, could have been as simple as not wanting to leave that evidence lying there. It also bought the perp(s) more time with nobody finding a damaged bike and no rider. If there were two perps involved, it would have been that much faster.