Mock
Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? (/thread-8158.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - HairOfTheDog - 06-20-2012

I disagree that the Fed is "overruling" by using the old Controlled Substance law to threaten landlords in CA. Again, I think they're "interfering" instead, though I agree that it's bullshit either way. Gotta get some business taken care of this afternoon, so let's just leave it there for now, Dick.

Wish we were having beers discussing this instead. Summer arrived a bit early here; it's actually hot. Cheers

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Kenny Powers - 06-20-2012

I've read quite a few valid points here, and this is my 2 cents:

The prison system is not controlled by the government but by the private sector. Big, powerful, influential corporations. Decriminalization of pot would put a huge dent on their business. They get paid per inmate, and they want the cash. They control the system now and won't allow change. Business is thriving... the government spends more on prisoners than on education, and the future is bright.

There is only one way to fix this country: Stop the cash flow of political contributions. Once you stop companies and lobbyist from buying politicians, they will actually start to work for us, not the companies.

Fat people doesn't need to be taxed. We need to stop the corn subsidy and start feeding people healthy foods. Corn is making us fat and unhealthy. Big farming is now owned for just a few corporations that suck all of the subsidy, make the small farmer that is putting good, healthy products out of business and keep putting shittier foods in the mouth of our youth.

Just like drugs, the food problem will only be fixed when we stop companies buying our leaders. Pure and simple.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - username - 06-20-2012

(06-20-2012, 10:45 PM)Kenny Powers Wrote: I've read quite a few valid points here, and this is my 2 cents:

The prison system is not controlled by the government but by the private sector. Big, powerful, influential corporations. Decriminalization of pot would put a huge dent on their business. They get paid per inmate, and they want the cash. They control the system now and won't allow change. Business is thriving... the government spends more on prisoners than on education, and the future is bright.

There is only one way to fix this country: Stop the cash flow of political contributions. Once you stop companies and lobbyist from buying politicians, they will actually start to work for us, not the companies.

*gasp* I completely agree with that last statement although I'd add special interests to companies.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Riotgear - 06-20-2012

The cost of street level enforcement is the Achilles heel of the private sector fat cats who run the American prison system. Cops gotta get paid too. Oops.

That and all this 'new' info on how great weed is.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - HairOfTheDog - 02-14-2013

Small step forward: New York's marijuana decriminalization efforts are underway despite Albany having voted down the full decriminalization bill last year.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday that those arrested in New York City for possessing small amounts of marijuana will no longer have to spend a night in jail.

The new measure, set to take effect next month, was announced during Bloomberg's State of the City speech. From the speech:

“But we know that there’s more we can do to keep New Yorkers, particularly young men, from ending up with a criminal record. Commissioner Kelly and I support Governor Cuomo’s proposal to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a violation, rather than a misdemeanor and we’ll work to help him pass it this year. But we won’t wait for that to happen.

“Right now, those arrested for possessing small amounts of marijuana are often held in custody overnight. We’re changing that. Effective next month, anyone presenting an ID and clearing a warrant check will be released directly from the precinct with a desk appearance ticket to return to court. It’s consistent with the law, it’s the right thing to do and it will allow us to target police resources where they’re needed most."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/14/bloomberg-marijuana-arrest-nyc-ticket-not-jail_n_2687954.html

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Maggot - 02-15-2013

Well I must say that Maniacs can sure grow the bestest stuff, although dry as fuck this year. Thats what happens when you stick it in a burlap sack............El stupido stricks again! The_Villagers

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Paulistano - 02-16-2013

(06-20-2012, 02:11 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Shit runs from the corners of your mouth.

States rights are intact dipshit was my point, The people have a voice was my point, and when our elected officials fail the question belongs to the people was my point , all of which you denied.

go back to the indoctrination camp shitbird you are failing.

Still a dick, I see.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Midwest Spy - 02-20-2013

(02-16-2013, 03:16 PM)Paulistano Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 02:11 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Shit runs from the corners of your mouth.

States rights are intact dipshit was my point, The people have a voice was my point, and when our elected officials fail the question belongs to the people was my point , all of which you denied.

go back to the indoctrination camp shitbird you are failing.

Still a dick, I see.

Dick was the bomb.

You didn't officially 'arrive' at Mock until Dick had called you Shitbird.

I really hope those drug cartel guys didn't get him.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Paulistano - 02-20-2013

(02-20-2013, 07:51 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Dick was the bomb.

You didn't officially 'arrive' at Mock until Dick had called you Shitbird.

I really hope those drug cartel guys didn't get him.

Indeed, I have travelled that path with the / that Dick...

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - HairOfTheDog - 03-16-2013

This has to be a little embarrassing...

[Image: KATZ_244x183.jpg]

New York state assemblyman Steven Katz was arrested Thursday for possession of marijuana. Mr. Katz voted against the legalization of medicinal marijuana last year, and he's a member of the Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Committee.

He regrets the "unfortunate incident".

Katz, 59, was doing 80mph in a 65mph zone. He was pulled over for speeding, at which time police heard Quiet Riot blaring from his Ipod, detected the odor of marijuana in the vehicle, and smelled Ranch flavored Doritos on Mr. Katz's breath. He was released after processing and will appear in court on March 28.

(All true, except the music and munchies part).

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Duchess - 03-16-2013

Bwahahaha! "Smelled ranch flavored doritos on his breath."

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - HairOfTheDog - 03-14-2014

Glad to see this announcement; too many prisons filled with people arrested and handed long/life sentences for non-violent marijuana offenses.

Hoping the bi-partisan legislation passes Congress. The National District Attorneys Association (NDAA) is opposing the proposal.

[Image: Attorney-general-Eric-Holder.jpg]

Snip:
Attorney General Eric Holder on Thursday endorsed a proposal that would result in shorter prison sentences for many nonviolent drug traffickers, saying the change would rein in runaway federal prison costs and create a fairer criminal justice system.

A November 2013 report by the American Civil Liberties Union says at least 3,279 prisoners in the U.S. are serving life without parole sentences for nonviolent drug and property crimes. Nearly four in every five were convicted of crimes involving drugs.

"This focused reliance on incarceration is not just financially unsustainable - it comes with human and moral costs that are impossible to calculate," Holder said in an appearance before the Sentencing Commission, an independent agency that establishes sentencing policies, on Thursday.

In a country where nearly half of all federal inmates are serving time for drug crimes, the harshest penalties should be reserved for violent drug defendants and criminals with long rap sheets, Holder said.

Holder directed prosecutors in August to stop charging many nonviolent drug defendants with offenses that carry mandatory minimum sentences.

He has also said he also wants to divert people convicted of low-level offenses to drug treatment and community-service programs and to expand a prison program to allow the release of some elderly, nonviolent offenders. Bipartisan legislation pending in Congress would give judges more discretion in sentencing defendants for drug crimes.

Source:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/holder-endorses-proposed-nonviolent-drug-sentencing-reforms/

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Duchess - 07-27-2014

One of the most trusted newspapers in America has endorsed an end to the "prohibition" of marijuana. The New York Times editorial board argues that after weighing the pro's & cons of legalization the scales tip in favor of ending the ban. I think this might be significant coming from them given they are such a trusted news organization.

Story

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - crash - 07-27-2014

^ wow.. Not in a hundred years would I have seen that coming.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Cutz - 07-27-2014

(07-27-2014, 05:07 PM)Duchess Wrote:

One of the most trusted newspapers in America has endorsed an end to the "prohibition" of marijuana. The New York Times editorial board argues that after weighing the pro's & cons of legalization the scales tip in favor of ending the ban. I think this might be significant coming from them given they are such a trusted news organization.

Story

Really? Cause the NY Times Editorial section also called the Eagles racist exploiters that besmirched the good name of innocent Desean Jackson.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Duchess - 07-27-2014

Really.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Duchess - 07-28-2014

(07-27-2014, 05:41 PM)Cutz Wrote: Really? Cause the NY Times Editorial section also called the Eagles racist exploiters that besmirched the good name of innocent Desean Jackson.

I hadn't read the article you referred to until moments ago. I'm very taken aback by the assumptions that story holds so I checked out the author. He's black and writes books with titles like - Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall and Redemption Of The Black Athlete. Fuck 'em, he's biased and his story about DeSean is shit...

...however, I did get the point you were making.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - Cutz - 07-28-2014

I agree about fuck em, but yeah, any periodical can be biased and opinion based. You'd hope the NY Times is above that, but with the explosion of the internet and internet news... I think newspapers will run any dramatic half-cocked story these days. Philly mag had that crazy piece by the dude who called Nick Foles a chickenshit... like you're a legitimate writer? Ridiculous.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - HairOfTheDog - 07-28-2014

RAND PAUL GETS IT RIGHT (IMO)

[Image: randpaul.jpg]

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Thursday filed an amendment in the Senate that would protect states that implement medical marijuana laws, as well as patients and physicians in those states, from federal prosecution.

Paul's Amendment 3630, filed Thursday morning to Sen. John Walsh's (D-Mont.) jobs bill being heard on the Senate floor, allows states to "enact and implement laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of marijuana for medical use" without fear of federal prosecution. There are 33 states that have enacted laws protecting some form medical marijuana.

To date, 23 states and the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for medical use. Another 10 have legalized CBD, a non-psychoactive ingredient in cannabis frequently used to treat epilepsy, for limited medical use or research. Still, the federal government continues to ban the plant, classifying it as a Schedule I substance with "no currently accepted medical use."

Due to ongoing partisan gridlock in the Senate, it appears unlikely that Paul's amendment will get a vote.

Full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/rand-paul-medical-marijuana_n_5617874.html?cps=gravity
---------------------------------------------------------------

It's silly to me that the US apparently needs a Federal law to prevent the Federal government from finding ways to circumvent State laws on marijuana and pursue prosecution, but we apparently do. Too bad this bill isn't likely to get anywhere because Congress is "gridlocked".

It's beyond me why marijuana is still scheduled as a Class 1 drug despite even the medical and scientific communities' debunking of the hype against its addictive properties and effects. Is anyone still "scared straight"? I don't think so.

Anyway, getting cannabis scheduled properly wouldn't make it legal, but would be an acknowledgement of understanding the true properties of the drug and would probably deter the DOJ from pursuing marijuana distributors in states where voters have deemed medicinal or recreational marijuana legal. I don't know if politicians are too dependent on donations from pharmaceutical companies (who wouldn't want the competition from unobstructed medical marijuana in the states) to address the inaccurate schedule classification or what -- rescheduling marijuana's drug class is so long overdue.

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke? - heartbreaker6713 - 08-02-2014

I agree HOTD. I strongly believe marijauna needs to be reclassified. I believe their is a bill about the passing of medicinal marijuana if it's oil and not high in thc.

I take prescription meds because of my injuries and it's hard to believe that marijuana is in the same class as some of my prescriptions. I understand why my prescriptions are the way they are but seriously marijuana as a class 1. Come on!!