Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
JOHN HINCKLEY - FREEDOM'S JUST ANOTHER WORD...
JOHN HINCKLEY - LONGER UNSUPERVISED HOME VISITS GRANTED & THE GRADUAL PATH TO RELEASE

[Image: 111128034519-hinckley-foster-gallery-01-...allery.jpg]
Jodie Foster. John Hinckley. 1980.

Background
He attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981 in order to get the attention of actress Jodie Foster (whom he'd stalked at Yale) and to impress her. FAIL, on all counts (though he did manage to paralyze press secretary James Brady and inspire stricter gun control laws).

1n 1982, his defense team's psychiatrists convinced a jury that Hinckley was "not guilty by reasons of insanity" and he was released from prison and moved to confinement at St. Elizabeths Hospital in Washington, D.C.

Hinckley's psychiatrists contend that, with treatment, he is completely free of psychotic episodes and in full remission. He has been allowed to stay at the home of his parents with increasing frequency and for longer durations, with only their supervision and then no supervision, for the last decade.

His off-site privileges were revoked for a couple of years in 2000 because he was found to have smuggled materials about Foster back into the hospital - 18 YEARS AFTER BEING COMMITTED AND TREATED.

He was also warned more recently when, on one of his unsupervised home visits (he was allowed a driver license too), he reported that he'd gone to the movies, but Secret Service agents tailed him and found him instead at a bookstore browsing a shelf containing coverage of the Reagan assassination attempt.

Federal prosecutors fought against this extension of his freedom and lost.
[Image: article-2106192-01B081E70000044D-925_306x382.jpg]
John Hinckley today

Fast Forward
On Friday, in a 106-page opinion expanding Hinckley’s monthly Virginia visits from 10 to 17 days, US District Judge Paul L. Friedman said he was persuaded that Hinckley “will not be a danger to himself or to others” if he is given more time away from the hospital.

Friedman’s order allows Hinckley to drive alone to specific destinations — which Levine said will help him live normally in Williamsburg — but requires him to carry a GPS-enabled cellphone during unsupervised activities.

The case in favor of longer unsupervised visits and eventual release
-Hinckley was deemed insane and therefore not responsible/guilty for the assassination attempt by a jury of his peers.
-His doctors say that his illness is in remission and has been for decades.
-He's spent over 30 years in a psychiatric facility being treated and the eventual goal of the facility is to release him, without restrictions, so that he can become a productive member of society. For now, he'll continue to spend about half his time at the facility and will be re-evaluated after every eight 17-day unsupervised home visits.

The Question
So, is granting Hinckley longer unsupervised visits the right thing to do, or do you think that he should be fully monitored/incarcerated indefinitely?
Does he know Jodie Foster is a lesbian and Ronald Reagan is dead?

If he's in a bookstore reading about his own assassination attempt on the president of the United States I don't think he should be unsupervised....ever. Maybe he thinks if he kills Obama Jodie Foster will be so impressed she'll crave cock all of a sudden?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(12-22-2013, 10:10 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: The Question
So, is granting Hinckley longer unsupervised visits the right thing to do, or do you think that he should be fully monitored/incarcerated indefinitely?

I think he should be fully monitored/incarcerated indefinitely. He was caught red handed looking for stories about his crime and he lied in order to do so. He can't be trusted.

There are a number of women behind bars for crimes they committed while in the throes of postpartum depression, those are the people who are deserving of a second chance, not him.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
He will hurt someone else.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(12-22-2013, 12:13 PM)ramseycat Wrote: He will hurt someone else.

I tend to agree with that. I am not sure he is completely well. I hate to say "cured" because, sadly, I do not feel a mental illness is curable. What will happen is he will get out, feel he is "better" and stop taking whatever medication he is on, and go right back to his illness and obsessions. I have no sympathy for this man at all.
He may or may not ever hurt anyone else, but you can see in his picture that he is just as head fucked as ever.
lock the asshole up forever and be done with it. Farm Prison, make him earn his keep.
Jodie Foster should probably be concerned.
(12-22-2013, 05:59 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Jodie Foster should probably be concerned.

It's disturbing to me that Hinckley smuggled in Jodie Foster material a full 18 years after the assassination attempt.

Jodie Foster can afford good security and probably has some in place anyway, though I'd still be concerned if I were her.

Equally concerning to me: what will he attempt when the next woman he gets fixated on rejects him as well?

I don't believe that Hinckley can be trusted enough to be unsupervised for any length of time, based on his previous actions after he'd already undergone so much monitored treatment.
If he can do it, it really makes me really wonder how many others that never got the publicity he got have done it.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(12-22-2013, 12:16 PM)QueenBee Wrote: I do not feel a mental illness is curable.

It can be though, I am living testament to that fact.

I had a breakdown, I got therapy and medication and I got better and recovered.

I was never institutionalised and I haven't taken any medication for years and now I work with some people with mental health problems, I have come full circle.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
JAMES BRADY COD RULED "HOMICIDE" -- WILL THE STATE OF VIRIGINIA CHARGE HINCKLEY WITH MURDER?

[Image: BRADY-master675.jpg]

^ James Brady, RIP, died earlier this week at 73 years-old. He was 40 years-old when John Hinckley shot him in the process of trying to assassinate President Reagan (in order to impress Jodie Foster).

As noted upthread, Hinckley's psychiatric doctors contend that Hinckley is in remission or recovered and that he is working towards permanent release from the psych hospital (currently, he's released for short periods at a time). In 1982, he was found not guilty of attempted murder by reason of insanity.

On Thursday, the North Virginia Medical Examiner ruled Brady's death a homicide. Brady had long suffered severe health problems as a result of the Hinckley shooting.

So, will the state of Virginia elect to prosecute Hinckley for Brady's murder, 33 years after the shooting? I don't think so, personally. But, theoretically they could, which would be a very interesting legal case.

Here's the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/us/jam....html?_r=0
I doubt they will formally charge him. What I wonder is if this will affect his "freedom" to visit home. But, then again, if he is not being charged...they cannot ad further restrictions without reason. A bit of an conundrum.
At the time of the attack, he was proven not guilty by reason of insanity. Despite his health now, he can't suddenly be held culpable for an action he was proven not accountable for performing at the time. I foresee no action, legal or informally.
Is this nut case out now or just sitting in a comfy chair watching Bugs Bunny?

Sitting in a comfy chair watching bugs bunny. I have a vague memory of people being outraged because he was granted "outings" in public or maybe that's another nutjob I'm thinking of.

...maybe I just shoulda said, I don't know.
Being the anti-social person that you are , it also surprises me. 11
(11-02-2014, 02:20 PM)Maggot Wrote: Is this nut case out now or just sitting in a comfy chair watching Bugs Bunny?

He's probably down in his parents' basement rewatching Silence of the Lambs. Smiley_emoticons_shocked
(11-02-2014, 02:29 PM)Maggot Wrote: Being the anti-social person that you are , it also surprises me. 11

hah
Hinckley is allowed some unsupervised time when he visits his parents now. He can drive and travel out of town alone for hours at a time.

But, he's still at the psych facility most of the time.

P.s. Hinckley is "anti-social", but Duchess's highly reliable diagnosis is just "unsociable". She might not wanna chat up somebody who was traipsing across her lawn, but probably wouldn't try to assassinate them or anything like that.