Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ATHLETIC ASSHOLES

Why do you think he's a punk? Is it because he's doing this or is there another reason? Just curious.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(09-05-2016, 12:41 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Why do you think he's a punk? Is it because he's doing this or is there another reason? Just curious.

I don't like his demeanor and he's had issues in the past.

This is a smoke-screen in my opinion.

He's looking for attention now that he's not a starter. Again, my opinion.

The socks put it over the top for me.

Says all I need to know.

Give me Russell Wilson, Teddy Bridgewater, Antonio Brown, etc.

Clean cut guys in this league.

If they were making a statement, I'd never question their sincerity.
Thanks for responding, MS.

I'm not sensitive about Kaepernick, but I think football fans who are all irate about him sitting out the anthem are making a mountain out of a molehill (that reaction is definitely being overly sensitive, in my opinion).

I don't read minds, so I obviously don't know Kaepernick's motives for certain. But I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe he's lying about them, nor have I seen anything that leads me to believe he's destined to become a criminal.

Then again, Jesus didn't whisper in my ear, like he did your's, about how the 12-year-old black kid being shot to death by police over a toy gun was a plus for society because he was destined to become a thug anyway (or else Jesus would have intervened and saved him). So, I guess it's possible I missed another divine judgement message or something.

Difference of opinion and mindsets, although I do agree with you when it comes to the socks. I think those were stupid too.
(09-05-2016, 12:41 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Maybe it's the fro!!!!!!

I'm a fan of the fro, myself. Always have been. Dr. J's fro back in the 70s was a thing of beauty; I loved to watch him running up and down the court for the 76ers.

There's a girl at City College who has the biggest real-life fro I've ever seen. When I told my niece I love it, she rolled her eyes at me and told me I wouldn't think it was cool at all if I had to sit behind the girl in class a few times (which is probably true).

The only place I've ever really seen a 'fro is in old movies. There are no blacks where I come from and the few blacks I saw in college had close cropped hair. Hell, I wouldn't have known Colin is black if it wasn't for that spectacular 'fro.
Your man with the big hair made the news here this morning, so the talk is going on and on because your President said it's his constitutional right. They said that the US was a very patriotic country and to not sing the national anthem is looked upon badly. The sports commentator said that sports have a big audience and this is how he is using it to make his point or spread his message.
(09-05-2016, 10:13 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 11:05 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 07:55 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I've seen all the hoopla about Colin's choice to protest systematic black oppression by sitting out the national anthem.

I wouldn't sit out the pledge or the anthem as a form of protest, especially on the job, because the reason I sometimes protest social issues is because I love my country.

But, it's his choice and it doesn't offend me. He's managed to get a lot of attention and opportunities to express his opposition. I don't know whether what he's saying and how he's saying it will make an impact, but I don't blame him for trying.
What does he know about black oppression? He's half white and was raised by two white parents in suburbia. hah

Bingo.

I agree with you on this one.

Wearing socks with 'pig cops' at practice, growing out a giant Afro.

Guaranteed, if he were the starter this year, he would not be doing what he's doing.

He's probably trying to get the Niners to cut him to be honest.
Yeah, I find it VERY hard to believe he's not just drawing attention to himself. HoTD can use all the analogies she wants, but this kid fits the profile of a privileged wannabe. There are plenty of strong black brothers on the 9ers team who I would totally respect for protesting black oppression in the US, but those brothers stood up for the anthem and chose to do their own thing their way and still respect the country that gives them the right to free speech. Colin will forever live in the shadow of Russel Wilson. He's just playing the "look at me" card. He's a total loser.
Well, Gunnar at least you're no longer claiming that since his childhood didn't fit your stereotype of the "black experience", Kaepernick's not qualified to protest in silence.

But, I'd hardly call someone whose mother gave him up, had to learn very young to handle the confusion and stares that go along with having parents of a different race, studied and practiced hard in Reno to be able to earn a college scholarship... as having grown up "privileged". He earned the privilege of wealth. But, none of that has anything to do with his qualifications to stand up (or sit down) for a cause he believes in.

Anyway, you and MS might be right about his motives. But, for now, your speculation/opinion is just that and I don't have any reason to weigh the musings of you two more heavily than Kaepernick's own statements. All the two of you have said, which isn't exactly a compelling argument, is that he's not black enough, you don't like him as a player and a person, he's gonna be a criminal, you like other black players better so it's cool if they protest...None of which says as much about him as it does about you.
(09-06-2016, 11:08 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Well, Gunnar at least you're no longer claiming that since his childhood didn't fit your stereotype of the "black experience", Kaepernick's not not qualified to protest in silence.

But, I'd hardly call someone whose mother gave him up, had to learn very young to handle the confusion and stares that go along with having parents of a different race, studied and practiced hard in Reno to be able to earn a college scholarship... as having grown up "privileged". He earned the privilege of wealth. But, none of that has anything to do with his qualifications to stand up (or sit down) for a cause he believes in.

Anyway, you and MS might be right about his motives. But, for now, your speculation/opinion is just that and I don't have any reason to weigh the musings of you two more heavily than Kaepernick's own statements.
Doesn't much matter what you think HoTD, his career is in the toilet over this, so maybe he can call upon his BLM crew to help him pay his bills. hah
Well, of course that's true -- what I think matters no more or less than what you think in this case.

I don't think anything other than Kaepernick has a right to protest and it doesn't offend me in any way. I just put more weight into what Kaepernick has himself told us are his motives than what you have told us are his motives.

"He's not black enough, he's too privileged, he only wants attention, this protest has thrown his career in the toilet, he's gonna blow all his millions and be broke, I like some black athletes better than him and wouldn't mind a tad if THEY protested black oppression..." None of what you expressed amounts to a compelling argument that Kaepernick must be insincere in his stated beliefs and motives, and a total loser to boot.

I read an opinion piece about Kaepernick last night which did make a compelling argument. Kareem makes good sense to me on this one, as he almost always does. https://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery...d995dc624e
(09-06-2016, 11:49 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Well, of course that's true -- what I think matters no more or less than what you think in this case.

I don't think anything other than Kaepernick has a right to protest and it doesn't offend me in any way. I just put more weight into what Kaepernick has himself told us are his motives than what you have told us are his motives.

"He's not black enough, he's too privileged, he only wants attention, this protest has thrown his career in the toilet, he's gonna blow all his millions and be broke, I like some black athletes better than him and wouldn't mind a tad if THEY protested black oppression..." None of what you expressed amounts to a compelling argument that Kaepernick must be insincere in his stated beliefs and motives, and a total loser to boot.

I read an opinion piece about Kaepernick last night which did make a compelling argument. Kareem makes good sense to me on this one, as he almost always does. https://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery...d995dc624e
Blah, blah, blah. You done now? Kaepernick is. hah
I'm not done with Kaepernick. I'll wait to see what happens.

If this marks the end of Kaepernick's career, he was successful in making enough to last for life doing what he loved for a few years. You sound resentful that HE was able to accomplish that and like you wish ill upon him. Which, again, says way more about you than him or me.

So, yeah, now I'm done responding to your predictable crap on this one.
I don't think Kaepernick is an asshole for sitting out the anthem in protest on the job, but since the discussion began in this thread, I'm posting the update here.

[Image: 38B3D65700000578-3802707-image-a-21_1474584440897.jpg]

--Kaepernick has earned the Time Magazine cover
--He was not cut by the 49ers
--His jersey is the number one seller
--He's the least popular NFL player according to polls (much more liked by black fans than white ones), but he continues to assert that the issue is much bigger than football or himself
--He's donated $1 million to the cause
--He's effectively brought the racial (in)justice discussion into national and world forums
- He's garnered the support of many more athletes than he had when he first started protesting
--And, following the police killings of Terence Crutcher and Keith Scott, Piers Morgan and Jerry Rice are now supporting Kaepernick after previously criticizing him.
Piers Morgan supporting Kaepernick is like Bill Cosby supporting GHB.

Piers can suck my dick.
I hoped you both would read this thread when I tossed in Piers.

Piers made a big deal today about how he may have been hasty in criticizing Kaepernick, how he now sees the error of his original assessment, and how he can now essentially support Kaepernick.

I actually like it when people gain new perspective and can admit that they may have been mistaken. For that, good on Piers.

He's so self-important and annoying though. He probably figures Kaepernick can finally sleep at night and stop worrying so much about racial injustice and killings now that he's accomplished a more important feat; winning the approval of one of the greatest minds and most respected figures of our time, Mr. Piers Morgan. Sarcastic
http://wpri.com/2016/10/24/coach-fired-t...ball-game/

I totally expected this would happen in Texas, but RI?
(09-23-2016, 04:00 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Piers can suck my dick.

Slurp, Slurp!

Wipe yur chin.

[Image: 40EA963A00000578-4552628-Tiger_Woods_was...364597.jpg]

I almost didn't recognize Tiger Woods when I first saw the mug shot. He was arrested for DUI in Jupiter, Florida this morning and has since bailed out.

Woods was never charged back in 2009 when he was reportedly intoxicated and ran into a tree after fighting with his wife, which led to the serial cheating scandal getting massive media attention.

He hasn't played in major tournaments in two years due to a back injury, but recently underwent fusion surgery and said he was feeling better than he has in years.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...d-DUI.html