Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
(11-14-2018, 01:22 AM)Love Child Wrote: I just started bawling.
That is so terrifying.

I had the same reaction and I did the same damn thing while listening to the nurse tell her story. I have no problem picturing all of this in my head and it's so awful.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
It was cool to see so many people (including some of the country's top chefs) volunteering and cooking Thanskgiving meals for the victims of the Camp Fire and the firefighters yesterday.

The recent rain has helped firefighters get the fire 95% contained. Now, we're hoping the rain isn't followed by flash floods and mudslides.

The Camp Fire, north of Sacramento, burned for 15 days. It is the most destructive in California's history. 84 people are confirmed dead, over 13,000 homes were burned down, and 239 square miles of land were blackened (that's twice the size of Detroit). 560 people remain on the 'missing list'.

With the fire threat receding, teams in hard-hit populated areas focused on the search for additional victims, particularly in Paradise, a retirement community with a population of 27,000.

Paradise (which Trump called "Pleasure" twice during a press conference earlier this week - derp) suffered the bulk of the deaths when the swift-moving fire, which broke out Nov. 8, swept through the town with little advance warning.

More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018...090704002/
Southern California Roller

[Image: 66500171_2368418939868510_77794682073409...e=5D7B2453]
Earthquake damage on Trona Rd. Evacuations required at nearby Ridgecrest Regional Hospital

The strongest earthquake to hit Southern California in 20 years left scattered damage this morning and was felt from Las Vegas to Orange County, the US Geological Survey reported.

The quake, with an early magnitude of 6.4, was centered near Ridgecrest, a community west of the Mojave Desert and about 150 miles north of Los Angeles.

Reports of scattered damage, including rock slides and fires, rolled in by midday.

At least four large aftershocks, from 3.5 to 4.7 magnitude, and dozens smaller were recorded, officials said.

In Los Angeles, the temblor was felt as a long, rolling quake, and buildings rocked back and forth for at least several seconds.

Fortunately, the quake wasn't centered in a highly inhabited area this time and I haven't heard of any fatalities thus far.

https://ktla.com/2019/07/04/earthquake-b...oss-socal/
https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/californi...os-damage/
Holy crapola, I shouldn't complain about the hot temps here!!! Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

We were a hundred miles away than we would normally be. But man did it roll, thought I had a sudden onset of vertigo. I couldn't see anything noticeable looking at the nest cam though.
Did you feel the one a few hours ago? I saw some video of the water in a pool and it was shaking pretty violently. It was wild looking.

Several years ago LC and I were chatting and we both had a WTF moment at the same time. There was an earthquake on the East Coast. Certainly nothing like they are experiencing in California but substantial nonetheless. It was centered in Virginia so it's not surprising I felt it but she felt it up on Cape Cod too. It is very bizarre to feel the earth undulating beneath your feet. I cannot imagine being in a skyscraper, it must be terrifying.
They said it was a 7.1, and that maybe at least 5.0 or greater after shocks are to be expected for the next several days! Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

Is this the prelude to "Big one" that's anticipated to occur "some day"! Hope not!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(07-06-2019, 05:07 AM)Duchess Wrote: Did you feel the one a few hours ago? I saw some video of the water in a pool and it was shaking pretty violently. It was wild looking.

Several years ago LC and I were chatting and we both had a WTF moment at the same time. There was an earthquake on the East Coast. Certainly nothing like they are experiencing in California but substantial nonetheless. It was centered in Virginia so it's not surprising I felt it but she felt it up on Cape Cod too. It is very bizarre to feel the earth undulating beneath your feet. I cannot imagine being in a skyscraper, it must be terrifying.
Do you think LC is watching over us? Do you ever have any LC moments, where you think she is around you? Or in your dreams. I hate it that she is gone.
(07-06-2019, 11:55 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: Do you think LC is watching over us? Do you ever have any LC moments, where you think she is around you? Or in your dreams. I hate it that she is gone.

Well, I'm Catholic and I have a few freaky thoughts regarding the dead and their place among the living.
I was brought up Catholic and I don't identify as a Catholic these days, but I have no problem going to Mass and having communion. I don't believe in confession. It's not scriptural. They have many things and rituals they do that are based on the middle ages. I am not criticizing each to their own. As long as it is not some sleazy cult like this old dude called Michael sleeping with young girls. I saw that one on the crime and investigation channel last night. It is there in USA. Don't know where though. Dirty old man, at least he got found guilty.

Cardinal George Pell has his appeal tomorrow for his sentence for raping an alter boy. Legal experts are saying here he will get off on a technicality and then he will go straight back to the Vatican to live as he is at risk here in Australia. It will be on your news because this is the highest ranking member of the catholic church to be convicted. He also was known to give victims a very hard time when he was dealing with complaints.
I heard he gave that alter boy a hard time.
The boy committed suicide.
Oh God. That's awful! AwfulAwfulAwful. Those kiddie diddling priests sure have given my religion a bad reputation.
(08-21-2019, 11:42 AM)Duchess Wrote: Oh God. That's awful! AwfulAwfulAwful. Those kiddie diddling priests sure have given my religion a bad reputation.

The other altar boy is still alive and testified. Get this, his parents had no idea that this had happened to him. Around 14 he started his descending into the world of drugs, and never recovered. 

In the news here, it says Pell is taking his next appeal to the High Court.
Massive California Wildfires (again) :(

Crossing my fingers that the fires can be contained soon and no one gets killed.

Northern California:
Residents in No Cal's wine country were warned Tuesday they may need to leave "at a moment's notice" as powerful winds threatened to bring more devastation to areas already ravaged by wildfires.

Crews battling that massive Kincaid Fire fear the wind could fan the flames of the fire which has already burned an area more than twice the size of San Francisco and destroyed nearly 60 homes. 

Six days after the fire ignited, firefighters are scrambling to put out hot spots in hopes of getting an upper hand before wind gusts reaching as high as 50 mph kick in. 

Pacific Gas and Electric blacked out about 432,000 homes and businesses hoping to prevent new wildfires.
Southern California:
High winds fueled the Getty Fire early this morning as authorities were manning their fire lines with additional personnel ahead of an expected major wind event.

On Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service issued its first-ever "extreme red flag warning" for much of Ventura and Los Angeles counties. 

The warning predicts "damaging wind gusts between 50 and 70 mph," isolated gusts that could hit 80 mph and extremely low humidity.

"This all adds up to an extreme fire weather threat, meaning that conditions are as dangerous for fire growth and behavior as we have seen in recent memory," the National Weather Service said in the warning. The warning lasts until 6 p.m. Thursday.

Southern California Edison warned it could shut off power to more than 304,000 customers Wednesday and Thursday with the most powerful Santa Ana wind event of the season expected to descend on the area.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/fire-i...019-10-29/
Mandeville Canyon is wall to wall danger, cheapest cracker jack house is probably 1.5 mill.
(10-30-2019, 11:59 AM)BigMark Wrote: Mandeville Canyon is wall to wall danger, cheapest cracker jack house is probably 1.5 mill.

:(

Are you still able to ride safely or is there too much smoke in your area?

Be careful Biggie.
It's really windy here but no smoke getting ready for a ride right now it was a bit cool this morning, got my new tire!