Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DIVERSITY
I just read that we, as a country, are divided on whether diversity is good or bad. I am mildly surprised by that even in this climate. Diversity is always a good thing in my mind. How do you feel about it?

I remember the first time I saw a woman wearing a burka in my little town. I was a little uncomfortable. I'm embarrassed by that now.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I see foreigners every once in a while wearing sandals and with turbans on. I get a kick out of them walking around in 30 degree temps with those shoes on. Whats going to happen when there is 3ft of snow on the ground? I don't know but I bet they won't be wearing sandals anymore. Now the people from Nepal know how to dress in the cold.  I don't like seeing a couple giving each other mouth to mouth on a park bench and I really don't like watching two guys doing that crap either. The Mexicans are a happy bunch but will laugh as they stab you in the back too. And the white bums that I see more often sleeping in front of city hall should be moving along to Florida soon. I really don't care who does what, its what they do that I look at.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(10-31-2018, 01:14 PM)Duchess Wrote: I just read that we, as a country, are divided on whether diversity is good or bad. I am mildly surprised by that even in this climate. Diversity is always a good thing in my mind. How do you feel about it?

I remember the first time I saw a woman wearing a burka in my little town. I was a little uncomfortable. I'm embarrassed by that now.

Maybe the source you read that from is pushing a motive
I like diversity in just about all things.

The diversity of the U.S. population -- in terms of cultural backgrounds, lifestyles, ethnicity, religion, political beliefs, etc -- is one of the U.S.'s greatest strengths, in my opinion.

Based on what I'm seeing/hearing though, I do believe that there are more Americans who resent rather than appreciate the great melting pot experiment than in the past.

Or, maybe it's just a matter of white nationalists being more proud and open about it these days.
Melting pots are great when there aren't beans that clump together and ruin the stew.
Different things to different people.
I think diversity is great. I am from German, Irish, Scottish, English and Aboriginal roots. My extended family includes Aboriginal, Japanese, Greek and Italian relatives. My friends through my youth were Greeks, Italian, Indians and Macedonians.

I like diversity
(10-31-2018, 11:23 PM)BigMark Wrote: Melting pots are great when there aren't beans that clump together and ruin the stew.

Enjoy your soup broth. In fact maybe you should just stick to water. Where are you going to find the purest of waters? Just avoid Flint Michigan.

Your statement is disgusting and stupid.
I grew up on Miltary bases and knew only diversity. And then I moved to this town where it was mostly white and I couldn't figure out what was so different in the place until I saw a black person and I realized that was the first black person I had seen in the town. (I had been there for a month)

I currently live in a place that is not very diverse at all. I mean there is diversity of ages, social class etc etc but not in nationality. There is a large spanish population in this area.

My highschool was very diverse. Being next to a military base there were a lot of military families. I would say whites were less than 50%. With the rest being blacks, asians and islanders and some hispanic.

Later in life I had an opportunity to work with a wide variety of people from different places. It was awesome and amazing and challenging when misunderstandings happened, but also fun.

I have a hard time being in a very non-diverse area. I love and appreciate when I get to visit Seattle. I don't want to stay here too long.
You don't understand, they don't want diversity.
I understand that some do not. I get it. You cannot say "they" as in all however.
I like diversity. Except for the Jews. They're such a pain in the ass and their food sucks on top of it all.
When they all clump together and refuse to assimilate and you are outnumbered i'll be expecting an apology. It's like you bumped your head and woke up not be able to understand 80% of the jabbering assholes around you.
It is an interesting thing diversity. The one thing HAS to be common though. A common culture. It is not that you can't be religious or foreign born or sexual preference or whatever but you have to have an appreciation of a common culture. An understanding of a national identity and a respect of it. Otherwise, diverse or not diverse, you don't have a country, you have a loose collection of people with no common identity
(11-01-2018, 09:27 PM)BigMark Wrote: When they all clump together and refuse to assimilate and you are outnumbered i'll be expecting an apology. It's like you bumped your head and woke up not be able to understand 80% of the jabbering assholes around you.

Are you talking to me? The Jews have already done that a long time ago, have you not heard of Israel?
I think he was talking to me.

Maybe Big Mark people never had a reason to talk to you. I was with a group tonight and fit in just fine. You have to make an effort. Don't just stand on the outside making comments about it.

I will never apologize for that.
(11-01-2018, 09:27 PM)BigMark Wrote: When they all clump together and refuse to assimilate and you are outnumbered i'll be expecting an apology. It's like you bumped your head and woke up not be able to understand 80% of the jabbering assholes around you.

Mark has a point.

The people coming here (at least Somalis and Hmongs in my area) seem to want to stick to their own.

It goes both ways... us reaching out, but the arrivals also making an effort to assimilate.