Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
~~trying to reason with hurricane season~~

My girlfriend just told me that ^^^^^ picture is fake. Jesus Christ
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]

Now I'm being told it's real. Fuck, just fuck.

Dumbass posts. Real, not real, real.

Sorry!
Looking at that picture, it has to be fake! hah

They all are so calm, and just going about their regular business! It's got to be "staged"!

It can't be for real, no it can't, it can't, can it? (better not be)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I guess they don't have to worry about getting their depends changed in a timely fashion.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-27-2017, 07:39 PM)Carsman Wrote: It can't be for real, no it can't, it can't, can it? (better not be)

I'm now pretty sure it's real, Cars. It was sent to a Texas newspaper in an effort to get some help. The residents have been rescued and I've been thinking about the poor cat in the upper right corner. *sigh*

I think the reason so many are finding it hard to believe is because it's a mind blowing photograph. It's one of the most stunning images I've ever seen.
The water did not just gush in there in one wave and must have started out as a trickle so its hard to imagine that people were just sitting in their rocking chairs as the water got higher and higher. Even 90 yr old people can tell its getting wetter and wetter. I see one pair of legs in the foreground that looks like they are in an easy chair with their legs crossed. It's hard to believe the picture.

Here are several different places that verify it. There are a ton more if you google the story, along with first responders verifying the authenticity of it. I completely understand that it's hard to believe. I was incredulous.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/flooded...index.html

http://wtvr.com/2017/08/27/texas-nursing...dickinson/

http://6abc.com/weather/viral-photo-doze...e/2347953/

http://people.com/human-interest/texas-n...o-twitter/

http://abc7chicago.com/weather/viral-pho...e/2347961/
I guess that saying that with age comes wisdom is wrong.

That picture haunted me and when one of my friends snorted and said it was chopped I felt great relief. It's very hard to believe that something like that happens in this day & age.
Where the heck are their handlers?

I'm left with the impression that this was more of a private home/assisted living place rather than a regular nursing home. Don't quote me on that as I'm not completely sure.
Ooops.....I didn't see this thread when I posted about Harvey in another one.

That photo makes me sad too. I believe it's authentic. According to the story covered on CNN, the owner of the board and care is a senior herself. Her daughter was interviewed a couple of times this weekend. I'd lose my mind if my mom was in such a situation.

This morning a couple of the news outlets were covering the challenge with helping seniors in these situations, especially those who live alone and don't hear well.
MATTY! Are you gettin wet over there? Whats that Ethyl? ARE YOU GETTIN WET OVER THERE!!! Whats that Ethyl! ...........ARE YOU GETTIN WET YOU DUMB DEAF BITCH!!!!!
Mags, you crotchety, conspiracy-theorist, old goat.......... Your last few posts are total derp.

What do you think a picture of seniors living in a board and care or senior facility looks like when it floods? It looks like the pic that Duchess posted upthread. Is reality too politically correct for you now too?

Why do you think seniors who have dementia, physical disabilities, deafness, blindness, etc........are unwise when the administrators of their facilities follow orders to have their residents stay put rather than evacuate? Do you think Matty and Ethyl should have gotten their rebel on, thrown wet suits over their support hose, and wandered out into a torrential rainstorm - oxygen tanks dragging behind them?

It's required by state law that we train caregivers what to do to assist their senior clients when natural disasters hit. Seniors are among the most vulnerable and at-risk in those type of situations for a variety of obvious reasons. It doesn't make them unreal or unwise.
(08-28-2017, 01:07 PM)Maggot Wrote: MATTY! Are you gettin wet over there? Whats that Ethyl? ARE YOU GETTIN WET OVER THERE!!! Whats that Ethyl! ...........ARE YOU GETTIN WET YOU DUMB DEAF BITCH!!!!!

The name Ethyl always makes me think of this song.hah

(08-28-2017, 12:32 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm left with the impression that this was more of a private home/assisted living place rather than a regular nursing home. Don't quote me on that as I'm not completely sure.

It looks like an assisted living/ boarding home run out of someone's private residence. I saw some pretty horrific ones here when I was looking into it for my grandma. I don't know how they got away with it, they were absolutely disgusting and the smell was unbearable. But no one gives a shit about those old people, if they did they would have been evacuated to a shelter in a flood free zone.

Here are the women now -

All of these people who were told to shelter in place reminds me of all the people who were told to stay in the twin towers and wait to be rescued.

[Image: texas-senior-center_1503967134851_105054...et=534-401]
(08-28-2017, 10:05 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Mags, you crotchety, conspiracy-theorist, old goat.......... Your last few posts are total derp.

What do you think a picture of seniors living in a board and care or senior facility looks like when it floods? It looks like the pic that Duchess posted upthread. Is reality too politically correct for you now too?

Why do you think seniors who have dementia, physical disabilities, deafness, blindness, etc........are unwise when the administrators of their facilities follow orders to have their residents stay put rather than evacuate? Do you think Matty and Ethyl should have gotten their rebel on, thrown wet suits over their support hose, and wandered out into a torrential rainstorm - oxygen tanks dragging behind them?

It's required by state law that we train caregivers what to do to assist their senior clients when natural disasters hit. Seniors are among the most vulnerable and at-risk in those type of situations for a variety of obvious reasons. It doesn't make them unreal or unwise.

Do I really need to ask who in their right mind would set still to sit in a pool of murky pissy water and sit and knit waiting for the popcorn to be finished? They may be old but are they really that out of it not to go find a dryer place to sit? Unless they are completely out of it that is you melon head.

She's not knitting. She's trying to figure out the life preserver. I think.

The building they are in may be all ground floor. There may not be higher ground.

I've had coverage of this on since I got back home this morning. On one hand, I really wish I would exhibit some self control and stop listening, it makes me feel so weepy 78 and on the other, I have a need to know everything that is going on. When I see people like us helping others I feel a lot of pride in my fellow citizens. I saw some guys who came into town with their boats, they said they couldn't sit at home when they saw all the people who need help. There's a bunch of stories like that. A furniture business owner opened the doors to at least 2 of his stores and put out the word that people were welcome to shelter there. I saw pix of people sleeping in his beds, chairs & sofas and people eating at the tables. The human interest stuff is compelling to me.
(08-29-2017, 12:43 PM)Maggot Wrote: Do I really need to ask who in their right mind would set still to sit in a pool of murky pissy water and sit and knit waiting for the popcorn to be finished? They may be old but are they really that out of it not to go find a dryer place to sit? Unless they are completely out of it that is you melon head.

Listen here you knucklehead, tis you that doesn't seem to be in your right mind. Smiley_emoticons_smile

There just happens to be a popcorn machine at that care home. All of those ladies are in a care home, meaning they need assistance of some kind mentally and/or physically and are of advanced age. Keeping patients calm is always better than encouraging panic mode.

The owner of the care home was told to keep the residents put and help would be coming, and come it did. Now, fortunately, they've all been evacuated/relocated safely and they're all fine. Yeah, it sucks they were sitting in murky water for hours, but it would have sucked more if some of them had died in premature evacuation or had a stress-induced heart attack or something.