Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
That little faggot he's a millionaire.
I wonder what the world will be like in 20 years? :O

VANCOUVER (Reuters) – Canadian radio station have been warned to censor the 1985 Dire Straits hit "Money for Nothing," after a complaint that the lyrics of the Grammy Award-winning song were derogatory to gay men.

A St. John's, Newfoundland, station should have edited the song to remove the word "faggot" because it violates Canada's human rights standards, according to ruling this week by the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council.

A unnamed listener to OZ FM in the Atlantic Coast province complained to the industry watchdog last year after hearing the song, which features Dire Straits frontman Mark Knopfler and fellow rock star Sting.

The council said it realized Dire Straits uses the word sarcastically, and its use might have been acceptable in 1985 when the best-selling "Brothers in Arms" album was released, but said it was now inappropriate.

"The decision doesn't really relate to the Dire Straits song at the end of the day, the decision relates to the word in question," Ron Cohen, the council's chairman, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

OZ FM argued unsuccessfully that the song has been played countless times since it was released more than 25 years ago, has won various industry awards, including a Grammy in 1986, and remains popular with listeners around the world.

The ruling comes in the wake of an uproar sparked by a U.S. scholar who decided to publish an edition of Mark Twain's novel "Huckleberry Finn" that would remove the word "nigger" to make it less offensive to some readers.

Although the Dire Straits ruling only sanctions the St John's station, it means other Canadian radio stations could get in trouble it they air the song without censoring it.

The Broadcast Standards Council is a non-governmental industry group that administers ethical standards established by its members, Canada's private broadcasters

Dire Straits dissolved as a band in the 1990s after a string of hit albums.

(Reporting Allan Dowd; editing by Rob Wilson)

He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
The song was about Prince, I personally think it was accurate.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Jesus Christ.

That's as stupid as all the other pc bullshit. 78
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
It's Canada, what do you expect?
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

So Canada doesn't believe in free speech either? Seems to be contagious.
Commando Cunt Queen
Okay . . . then let's substitute butt-fucker, sphincter surfer, dirt-hole diver and see if it rocks. Are we cool now, faggot?

What a bunch of "Eh" Hole sissies.

Maybe the offense is with the word, "little".

Put "Hung" in its place and they'll giggle and clap like little girls.
How much longer..............Smiley-rolling-joint

(01-15-2011, 11:47 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Jesus Christ.

That's as stupid as all the other pc bullshit. 78

The whitewashing of History continues.
I listened to a Pink Floyd song yesterday and bullshit was bleeped.
I remember watching an episode of Conan where him and a guest were discussing how funny and sad it was that you could say "ass" and "hole" on the show but not "asshole".
The Who get away with it quite often.
(11-20-2016, 08:36 PM)Maggot Wrote: The Who get away with it quite often.
If you are referring to "Who Are You" no, they're using a software that reverses the word so that it is almost unnoticeable, but it is in fact censored.
(11-20-2016, 08:00 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: I remember watching an episode of Conan where him and a guest were discussing how funny and sad it was that you could say "ass" and "hole" on the show but not "asshole".

Television has changed a great deal through the years. I don't know how long ago this was, probably before we were born but I've read that married couples were only shown in twin beds and the word pregnant wasn't ever used.

I saw something on network television in the past year or so and I was very surprised at the level of graphic violence that was shown, it reminded me of something I would see on HBO or another cable channel.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-21-2016, 03:02 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 08:00 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: I remember watching an episode of Conan where him and a guest were discussing how funny and sad it was that you could say "ass" and "hole" on the show but not "asshole".

Television has changed a great deal through the years. I don't know how long ago this was, probably before we were born but I've read that married couples were only shown in twin beds and the word pregnant wasn't ever used.

I saw something on network television in the past year or so and I was very surprised at the level of graphic violence that was shown, it reminded me of something I would see on HBO or another cable channel.
How about when Ed Sullivan asked Jim Morrison to change the words to Light My Fire from "girl we couldn't get much higher" to "girl we can't get much better?"
She gets high, she gets high break on through to the other side.