Baklava
Remember back in February when I said I would be making baklava and a couple of people asked for some? I think Lumpy, Duchess and Sinister (who will NOT be getting any - besides where she lives it's lousy with Arabs so she can get her own!) wanted some.

Can you believe pistachios are still on the recall list AND I cannot find any on the store shelves yet?

I promise as soon as they get their shit together and I can find good unsalted pistachios You two will get some!
Would you like me to send you some?

http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/pistachio...shell.html
Whoa! those are expensive!

No you don't have to send me some! They'll get them in soon enough. I like to see the nuts and hand pick them. I usually buy them in the shell too, they're less expensive and I want to make sure they're not the ones from Iran. Those are awful and bitter.

Thank you anyway it's very nice to offer.
i've made baklava every Christmas for years. i love the stuff! it keeps and ships well also.::stir::

i've only made it with walnuts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't like it with walnuts. The Greeks make it that way. The Arabs have recipes that call for the walnuts but we prefer the sweeter pistachio instead.

It's very time consuming to make and finding rose water or orange water around here is nearly impossible!

Since my brother opened that restaurant though, some of the more exotic ingredients are easier to find! I just hate driving an hour to get to the place. Mother is usually there. ugh.
Damn I love that stuff, fattening as all hell, but damn its good!
[Image: drooling-7.gif]
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
You can't buy pistachios?

I'll send you some, they are widely available over here and pretty cheap.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
There's been a massive recall due to salmonella. Apparently some stores over reacted to the recall - as usual. I'll be out shopping over the weekend, hopefully I can find nice unsalted ones. I can find salted everywhere right now, just not unsalted. If it stops raining I'll make some. I don't like baking when it rains. Even though people say it makes no difference, it actually does, mostly for cakes though, they don't rise as high.

Baklava is a very tedious process and takes quite some time to lay out that dough just right.

Thank you anyway OP, I'm sure I'll find some soon enough.
eeeeevilllll

=p~~~~~
HEY! Lumpy got pistachio baklava! where's mine? 21

how was it Lumpy?

It was very good! I had never had it with pistachios before and it really changed the taste and texture a lot.
jackboots Wrote:i've made baklava every Christmas for years. i love the stuff! it keeps and ships well also.::stir::

And your recipe is going on my food forum when? I do not have a baking gene in my body...everything I try to bake fails miserably. I have tried it and do like it, though.
QueenBee Wrote:
jackboots Wrote:i've made baklava every Christmas for years. i love the stuff! it keeps and ships well also.::stir::

And your recipe is going on my food forum when? I do not have a baking gene in my body...everything I try to bake fails miserably. I have tried it and do like it, though.
i'll post it probably in the Fall. (noting on my calendar now) i have to make some to send to Maggot. you do need fillo dough from supermarket freezer section, walnuts, honey, cinn. & lots of butter. a food processor helps a lot.

jackboots Wrote:HEY! Lumpy got pistachio baklava! where's mine? 21

how was it Lumpy?

You didn't ask for any or else I certainly would have sent you some! It's all gone now between us and the neighbors!

JB - the Greeks use honey in theirs and almost exclusively walnuts. You can make it with almonds, walnuts or pistacios but the Arabs almost always use pistacios and we don't use honey - we use a sugar mixture and add either rose water or orange blossom water for a unique taste.

Sometimes you'll find the 'birds nest' made with almonds.

I also don't saturate mine with the syrup, I like to taste the nuts and dough.

One of these days I'll put my recipe up on my site.
It's a lot of time in the kitchenmaking that, isn't it ?...Like, hours ? :shock:
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i love the cultural differences in foods Ant! ::stir::

and i was just kidding about sending me some. Smiley_emoticons_wink:kiss::

Now I'm craving Baklava and I don't even normally care for it. I thinks it's because they do add to much syrup and you can't taste anything else. I just want something with sugar in it, all I have here is crappy health food.
Duchess - It takes me about an hour to two hours to make it - depends on how slow I'm moving, how many distractions interrupt me etc.

If the dough wasn't so delicate and tedious, it wouldn't be a long process at all.

I usually make the syrup early in the day because it has to cool and then be refrigerated because at the end of the baking, you pour it over the HOT pastry and it gives it that wonderful flakiness and the 'sizzle' is just so cool to listen to!

Sally, health food isn't always healthy! If it's pre-packaged stuff check your ingredients... many times you'll find hydrogenated oils and other nasty shit like chemicals and preservatives. Kind of defeats the whole idea of "Health Food".

As long as you're active and healthy you can eat anything you want in moderation and as long as it's FRESH and natural ingredients.

I mean if you go and snarf down 10 pieces of baklava in one day, sure you're going to get a fat ass! But a piece or two won't hurt none.
A teaspoon of sugar only has 16 calories and a pat of butter isn't outrageous either.

If you can't pronounce it, it's not food - don't eat it. Eat in moderation. It's all about the calorie intake and your activity level.
The Antagonist Wrote:Duchess - It takes me about an hour to two hours to make it - depends on how slow I'm moving, how many distractions interrupt me etc.

If the dough wasn't so delicate and tedious, it wouldn't be a long process at all.

I usually make the syrup early in the day because it has to cool and then be refrigerated because at the end of the baking, you pour it over the HOT pastry and it gives it that wonderful flakiness and the 'sizzle' is just so cool to listen to!

Sally, health food isn't always healthy! If it's pre-packaged stuff check your ingredients... many times you'll find hydrogenated oils and other nasty shit like chemicals and preservatives. Kind of defeats the whole idea of "Health Food".

As long as you're active and healthy you can eat anything you want in moderation and as long as it's FRESH and natural ingredients.

I mean if you go and snarf down 10 pieces of baklava in one day, sure you're going to get a fat ass! But a piece or two won't hurt none.
A teaspoon of sugar only has 16 calories and a pat of butter isn't outrageous either.

If you can't pronounce it, it's not food - don't eat it. Eat in moderation. It's all about the calorie intake and your activity level.
Uh oh. :Blush:
LuMPyPussy Wrote:
The Antagonist Wrote:I mean if you go and snarf down 10 pieces of baklava in one day, sure you're going to get a fat ass!
Uh oh. :Blush:
::laugh::
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]