Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Aaron Hernandez of NE Patriots - Charged with Murder
(01-29-2015, 12:02 PM)Duchess Wrote: I can't recall where I heard this, it must have been on CNN last night as I was falling asleep - it was said that they were trying to work out a deal for Aaron's girlfriend for immunity. They think she got rid of the gun and they want that info.

The prosecution would be foolish not to offer Shayanna immunity for information, in my opinion. I don't think she's ready to give up Hernandez though. She might still be too in love, or too afraid of repercussions, or both. She can't claim spousal privilege, as far as I know, because she wasn't legally married to Hernandez. She's already been charged with perjury for her pre-trial testimony. If she's called to testify and lies at trial (and LE has proof that she's lying), Shayanna could be in some trouble. She probably wouldn't do a lot of time in that case, but she and Herbandez have a toddler and I'd be surprised if prosecutors weren't reminding her that they could push for jail time and separate her from her child. She's in a tough spot.

So the opening statements took place this afternoon. I was relieved to hear about some incriminating evidence that hadn't been publicly released prior to court today. Meanwhile, the defense is acting like no evidence exists and Hernandez is a victim of his own celebrity. Pffft.

IN OPENING STATEMENTS
THE STATE: Prosecutor Bomberg said police found tire tracks and shoe prints near Lloyd's body that connect Hernandez to the crime as well as a joint that had both Hernandez and Lloyd's DNA on it. Bomberg also said authorities found five shell casings near Lloyd's body and another shell casing in a car rented by Hernandez. All of the shell casings were determined to have been fired by the same firearm, according to Bomberg.

THE DEFENSE: Defense attorney and former federal prosecutor Michael Fee took the courtroom by storm. "Aaron Hernandez is an innocent man. The evidence will show Aaron Hernandez did not murder his friend Odin Lloyd, nor did he orchestrate or order anyone else to murder him. Aaron Hernandez is not guilty," Fee told the jury.

Fee said police and prosecutors "targeted" Hernandez from the beginning of their investigation. "As soon as they found out the celebrity, the New England Patriot, was a friend of Odin Lloyd -- Aaron never had a chance. It was over," Fee said. "They locked-in on Aaron and they targeted him even when they discovered two other men, who were not friends with Odin, were with him that night."

Fee was seemingly referring to Ortiz and Wallace, Hernandez's associates. Both Ortiz and Wallace have pleaded not guilty in the case and will be tried separately.

Ref: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/aaron-hernan...ense-says/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aaron Hernandez of NE Patriots - Charged with Murder - by HairOfTheDog - 01-29-2015, 10:44 PM