Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DON'T DRINK THE WATER -- FLINT, MICHIGAN & BEYOND
I have to break this up a little.

(01-18-2016, 08:51 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Yeah, it's a real and complex issue which spans the globe, Cutz.
Clean water is not complex.

Quote:What bothers me so much about the situation in Flint specifically, is the shortsightedness and fucked-up priorities of the state government.
I wouldn't choose the word "shortsighted". Criminal is the word I would use.

Quote:I understand wanting to switch to a cheaper water source for budgetary reasons.
I don't.

Quote:They're fortunate to have such water supply options there.
I don't see it this way.
I don't see fortune anywhere in this situation.
I see a clean water source, and then a dirty one. Use the clean one. Don't use the dirty one and then say they are fortunate to have that option.

Quote:But, the failure on the part of the administrators to ensure that the water was treated sufficiently for public consumption is some seriously negligent bullshit.

Again, criminal is the word I would use.

Quote:The improperly treated water from the Flint River corroded the delivery pipes to the extent that any water passing through them is now toxic.

The dirty river should have never been used.

Quote:So, to save some (tax payer contributed) money, thousands of people's health was put at risk by their local government and now the federal government will have to spend way more (tax payer contributed) money to try and fix the easily foreseeable and avoidable problem.
It was the state government.

The state took over the city's budget and decided to temporarily switch Flint's water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River to save money until a new supply line to Lake Huron was ready.

And this is not a money issue anymore. This is a public health issue and a criminal issue on the part of the state. No amount of money is too little for everyone here in the US to have clean water. And then no amount of money is too small for everyone in the world to have clean water.

Quote:On the plus side, if there is one, the investment in new infrastructure was probably long overdue anyway.

There is no plus side to the crime which caused disease such as legionnaires or death.

And finally I am going to ask the question-how many cities and states in the US could get away with something such as this? Could this happen in your state? Why or why not?

Messages In This Thread
RE: DON'T DRINK THE WATER -- FLINT, MICHIGAN & BEYOND - by Love Child - 03-08-2016, 02:49 AM