Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PRIVATE PRISONS
(02-24-2017, 05:48 AM)Duchess Wrote: Stock is already rising after Sessions rescinded Obama's private prisons order.

Shit, I just read that discouraging news.

I'm not surprised, but really disagree with going back to growing the for-profit private prisons. Over the last few years, I've read a lot about the prison system and incarceration in the U.S. -- no doubt in my mind that the ties between politicians and private-prison profiteers / political donors helped contribute to insanely massive incarceration rates in the U.S.

Those prisons will be filled with illegal/undocumented immigrants, like they were in Arizona before Sheriff Joe and Jan Brewer got slammed by the judiciary.

I hope they don't also go back to being filled with low-level non-violent offenders (traffic violations, possession of marijuana, etc...). Those should be citations, not jailable crimes which costs taxpayers if offenders are thrown in governmental facilities and then serve to fill vacancies and increase profits for private prisons/jails when those governmental facilities hit capacity.

Press secretary Spicer confirmed yesterday that Session's justice department will be more aggressive on recreational marijuana. Two of Session's former aides are private prison lobbyists for Geo Group, one of the largest private for-profit prison groups.

States need to legalize or at least decriminalize some minor offenses quick. I'm all for mandatory and long sentences for violent criminals, repeat offenders with repeat victims, no parole for those who pose a legitimate threat to others based on their criminal histories, more vigorous prosecution of white collar criminals who exploit the innocent, etc. But, reversing course on mass incarcerations for low-level and victim-less crimes would be a real stain on the nation, a stain that would especially impact those living in poverty-stricken areas.

It really concerns me. I seriously hope the country isn't headed back in that direction under the Trump administration, but not feeling optimistic on this one. '(

Messages In This Thread
PRIVATE PRISONS - by Duchess - 02-23-2017, 07:00 PM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by Carsman - 02-23-2017, 07:58 PM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by BigMark - 02-23-2017, 08:35 PM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by HairOfTheDog - 02-24-2017, 12:04 AM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by Duchess - 02-24-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by HairOfTheDog - 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by HairOfTheDog - 02-24-2017, 12:04 AM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by BigMark - 02-24-2017, 12:44 AM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by HairOfTheDog - 02-24-2017, 12:49 AM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by BigMark - 02-24-2017, 01:09 AM
RE: PRIVATE PRISONS - by Som Yung Ho - 02-24-2017, 03:31 AM