Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I sent a State Rep through the roof today
(04-05-2018, 02:19 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 01:03 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: -------------------------------
Is your proposal that the state of New Hampshire also forgo the tax revenue from marijuana sales if the state limits those transactions to liquor stores Mags?

The state still taxes things like gas, tobacco, booze before sales they just don't tax a "sale" so it would be taxed. I believe all states do but a sales tax is different.

Yeah, there are state taxes and retail excise taxes. I know Colorado recently got rid of the sales tax on marijuana sales, which amounted to millions of dollars per month. But, the state increased the retailer's tax by a higher percentage than the previous consumer sales tax percent percentage.

I would always rather have private businesses operating under state regulation than state-owned industries and price setting when it comes to goods. But, I understand your point about the state-run liquor business having an infrastructure that could be highly leveraged when marijuana is legalized in NH.

After reading up on it a little...........I'm surprised the State Representative you spoke with reacted so strongly, unless he's a Republican and sides with Governor Sununu in opposing legalization altogether.

Washington already has the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board. In Oregon, the enforcement of liquor and marijuana law is up to the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. And the New Hampshire commission studying legalization heard earlier this year from Erika McConnell, director of the Alaska Alcohol & Marijuana Control Office.

I read that NH State Rep. Dan Eaton, a Democrat from Stoddard, voted in favor of a bill earlier this year to legalize up to an ounce of marijuana for adults. He says it makes sense that the New Hampshire Liquor Commission would be involved in the hypothetical legalization of recreational pot. http://nhpr.org/post/liquor-commission-s...l#stream/0

Messages In This Thread
RE: I sent a State Rep through the roof today - by HairOfTheDog - 04-06-2018, 10:34 AM