Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Seafood!
this is insane because the blue fin tuna have been rendered nearly extinct!
and bigger ones have been caught off Cape Cod, it's not a record. but the Feds took it away from the fisherman. (881 lbs.)

[Image: 120105114849-record-tuna-cut-story-top.jpg]

CNN
Fancy a $50 piece of sushi?

That's what one piece of a 593-pound blue fin tuna sold Thursday at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market for a record $736,000 is worth.

Kiyoshi Kimura, who runs the Sushi-Zanmai chain in Japan, bought the record-setting fish at the first auction of the new year at Japan's main fish market, a popular tourist stop in Tokyo, according to the Tokyo Times.

The previous record for a fish was set at the market in 2011's first sale of the new year, when a Hong Kong restauranteur paid $422,000 for a blue fin. He took that fish to Hong Kong.

Kimura said he wanted to keep this year's top tuna in Japan. It was caught off Amori prefecture.

"We tried very hard to win the bidding, so that we could give Japan a boost and have Japanese people eat the most delicious tuna," the Mainichi Daily News quoted him as saying.

Despite the record price Kimura paid, pieces of the prize fish are expected to sell for around $5 in his restaurants.

I love seafood! I was born on an island and we used to take a laundry basket out in the bay in an inner tube and fill it up with oysters. I was so young I barely remember. Yum. Yum. I could eat oysters for breakfast!

Is it true what they say about them? Smiley_emoticons_fies
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(01-05-2012, 01:21 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Is it true what they say about them? Smiley_emoticons_fies

Ummmm......yeah!!
oooo i like these! the new williams-sonoma catalog has recipes from Sicily, and these dishes. i am not buying any more dishes, but i like looking! for seafood lovers~

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/...ollection/

[Image: img67o.jpg]

[Image: img2o.jpg]

[Image: img33b.jpg]

[Image: img52o.jpg]

these would be great baked stuffed!

but invasive species kill the native species. not good. damn.

[Image: 111216045343-black-tiger-shrimp-story-top.jpg]

An invasion of giant cannibal shrimp into America's coastal waters appears to be getting worse.

Researchers from the U.S. Geological Survey and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported Thursday that sightings of the massive Asian tiger shrimp, which can eat their smaller cousins, were 10 times higher in 2011 than in 2010.

The shrimp, which can grow to 13 inches long, are native to Asian and Australian waters and have been reported in coastal waters from North Carolina to Texas.

They can be consumed by humans.

"They're supposed to be very good. But they can get very large, sorta like lobsters," Fuller said.

While they may make good eatin' for people, it's the eating the giant shrimp do themselves that worries scientists.

"Are they competing with or preying on native shrimp," Fuller asked. "It's also very disease-prone."

To try to get those answers, government scientists are launching a special research project on the creatures.

“The Asian tiger shrimp represents yet another potential marine invader capable of altering fragile marine ecosystems,” NOAA marine ecologist James Morris said in a statement. “Our efforts will include assessments of the biology and ecology of this non-native species and attempts to predict impacts to economically and ecologically important species of the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.”

full story:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/26/sci...?hpt=hp_t2

Big sushi and sashimi lover. The only seafood that I don't eat is scallops; the texture doesn't work for me.

I love Spanish Paella; rice and seafood all in one dish with some spice to it. The recipe below serves 8, so just cut everything in half if you don't want to make so much (though it's good left over or stuck in corn tortilla for paella tacos). You can change up the chicken with sausage, add muscles...it's mix and match and all good...

Chicken and Shrimp Paella
Ingredients
12 cup (4 fl. oz) of olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 can (about 10 oz) condensed onion soup
1 can (about 10 oz) condensed tomato soup
3 cups (24 fl oz) water
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
12 teaspoon turmeric
14 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups (16 oz) rice
32 oz uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
14 teaspoon saffron
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (6 oz) roasted sweet red bell pepper, in strips
18 (6 oz) mild green canned chiles
1 cup (8 oz) stuffed olives, sliced

Preparation
Heat the olive oil in a paella pan. Add the chicken, and cook until browned on all sides.

Add the onion and tomato soups, water, garlic, oregano, turmeric, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook, covered for 15 minutes.

Mix in the rice, shrimp, bell peppers, roasted red bell peppers, and olives and cook, covered, for 25 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed, the shrimp are cooked, and the chicken and rice are tender. Uncover, allow the paella to cool, and serve.

[Image: Seafood-Paella_searchthumbnailimagecropped.jpg]
ooooo i'd love to get my hands on him! my BIG stock pot would do nicely. 70

Claude, pictured, weighs a mighty 15lbs and measures 15 inches wide.
When he is fully grown he will weigh 30lbs and gain an extra three inches. The Tasmanian King Crab is a delicacy in its native Australia, but Claude was snapped up by a British aquarium worker who agreed to buy him and two other enormous crustaceans for a whopping £3,000.

[Image: cartoon_crab_stirring_pot_hg_clr.gif]

[Image: article-2137356-12D6FC66000005DC-125_964x865.jpg]

[Image: article-2137356-12D6F859000005DC-430_964x859.jpg]

[Image: article-2137356-12D7CE7C000005DC-224_964x535.jpg]

Love seafood. Crab and lobster is my favorite behind scallops. But for some strange reason, I can only eat them fried or I have an allergic reaction. My mom says it's the iodine. I don't know but if I eat them any other way but fried, I get super itchy and super sick.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Clamming license is 30.00 this year WTF!!!!! it was 8.00 3 years ago.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(04-30-2012, 05:45 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Love seafood. Crab and lobster is my favorite behind scallops. But for some strange reason, I can only eat them fried or I have an allergic reaction. My mom says it's the iodine. I don't know but if I eat them any other way but fried, I get super itchy and super sick.

I used to love scallops but now I stick to salmon, although I can't resist crab or cod either for that matter. We rolled our scallops in a light egg batter and then rolled them in shredded coconut, then baked them til they were golden brown. Really good.
(04-30-2012, 06:10 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote:
(04-30-2012, 05:45 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Love seafood. Crab and lobster is my favorite behind scallops. But for some strange reason, I can only eat them fried or I have an allergic reaction. My mom says it's the iodine. I don't know but if I eat them any other way but fried, I get super itchy and super sick.

I used to love scallops but now I stick to salmon, although I can't resist crab or cod either for that matter. We rolled our scallops in a light egg batter and then rolled them in shredded coconut, then baked them til they were golden brown. Really good.

That sounds delicious!! I will have to try that.
I use mayo to coat fish. It is made from eggs and forms a layer around the fish if you mix it with Italian bread crumbs.
I don't know if it officially counts as seafood or not, but clam chowder is one of my ultimate favorite lunches. Going out for some chowder in a bread bowl in a few hours. Stomach's growling for it...

[Image: Droolius_Boudin_Chowder_m.jpg]
Wow, that looks tasty HOTD. I would need a nap after that lunch though with a warm and full tummy.
use the larger sea scallops. not the tiny bay scallops. easy dish~

Baked Scallops
From Yankee Magazine Church Suppers and Potluck Dinners Cookbook
Fish and Seafood Recipes
Yield: 6 servings

■2 pounds scallops
■1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
■1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
■1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
■1 tablespoon lemon juice
■1/4 teaspoon pepper
■1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
■1 tablespoon dry vermouth

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Wash the scallops and pat dry. Place in a buttered 8-inch baking dish. Mix together the remaining ingredients and spoon on top of the scallops. Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

[Image: Sea%20Scallops.jpg]

[Image: Maine%20lobster%20crisis.jpg]

AP

The lobster crisis in Maine has reached a boiling point.

As prices for the succulent shellfish drop, a top U.S. lawmaker is calling the situation a "disaster" and said measures must be taken to aid struggling fishermen and reform the lobster industry, which is vital to the state's economy.

Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine, said Thursday that wholesale prices for lobsters in Maine have hit rock bottom -- selling for less than $1.50 per pound in some places, the lowest price since the 1970s -- and have threatened the livelihood of local fishermen who rely on the world-famous, tasty crustaceans to earn a living.

"It's a disaster for the fishing industry," Pingree told FoxNews.com. "These guys can't afford to go fishing for anything less than $2, $2.50 a pound when you think of the price of fuel (for boats). They've got to earn a living."

Maine's lobster catch typically picks up around the Fourth of July, as the crustaceans begin shedding their hard shells in favor of new soft shells and lobster-loving tourists flock to the coastal state on summer vacation.

But an unusual phenomenon happened this year: Soft-shell lobsters began showing up in great numbers in traps six weeks earlier than normal, which Pingree called "unprecedented."

Soft-shell lobsters, which have less meat than hard-shell ones and which can be easily cracked open by hand, are sweet and juicy but sell for a lower price.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/...z20jQlkIPx

Lobster used to be considered peasant or slave fodder.
(07-15-2012, 06:31 PM)Riotgear Wrote: Lobster used to be considered peasant or slave fodder.

the Pilgrims, on the shores where i live, fed them to their pigs!
the beach was littered with them.

My guy at the circle is selling his for 2.40 lbs I'm picking up 6- 1.5 lbs and making a lobster pie.