Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Brining the turkey?
Do you brine your turkey? What's the purpose of doing so? How do you brine the turkey? Sally? You probably know.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I've only attempted to brine a turkey once. I used Alton Browns recipe which has rave reviews. The only problem was when I opened up my turkey that I ordered from the butcher the damn thing was rotten and I didn't have time to get another one. I was pretty pissed.

Anyway, I'm going to try it again this year. Here's the link.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton...index.html
I think when you brine a turkey it adds more flavor and moisture. If you're going to brine I think you should stay away from kosher turkeys or any others that list that a sodium solution has been added. You want a fresh or frozen one with nothing added to it.

I think Maggot does this.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-22-2013, 08:12 PM)ramseycat Wrote: What's the purpose of doing so?

Brining poultry is done for the same reason as adding salt, or seasoning, to any food; it enhances the natural flavour of the meat. The added bonus with turkey is it keeps the flesh moist.

You can brine with water and salt, I do a chicken with beer and salt, there are thousands of brine recipes. With a turkey you'll probably want to add some sweetness, like a cup of sugar or something like honey or maple syrup. Herbs and garlic also work well. As does a little chilli etc. Go google..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
This being a rams thread I thought the the thread title was supposed to be "bringing the turkey".
(11-22-2013, 11:18 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: This being a rams thread I thought the the thread title was supposed to be "bringing the turkey".

Me too!

I would say great minds think alike but you've got a mouldy mushroom with delusions of grandeur in between your ears.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I use about a cup of sea salt per gallon of water it usually takes 2 gallons.
You take the turkey and put it in a big bucket or clean pan then add the salt water solution. Do not use salt with iodine in it.
let it sit in the fridge for a full day (24 hrs) then take it out a couple hrs before you cook it and let it sit. I am doing mine tonight. I brine cucumbers for pickles also. It makes it very moist.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Never used a brine step on turkey before, but always do it with my BBQ chicken breasts. I use a sugar/salt/water combo for at least 8 hours. Makes a big difference in the juiciness of the end product. I imagine it certainly wouldn't hurt to do this with a turkey, as the two are fairly similar. I do score my chicken breasts prior to putting it in the brine.
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

I pump beer brine into whole chickens and smoke them relatively coolish for longer than normal...frickin' amazingly tender, awesome smoky, malty, salty-sweet flavour.
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
Yeah....a smoker is definitely on my list of shit to buy in the future.
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

I have a neighbour who built one out of an old fridge carcass. It's actually pretty awesome. Probably more functional than the one I paid good dollars for! Now there's some re-purposing, man style..
(11-26-2013, 02:40 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: I would say great minds think alike
Thanks. That's all I needed to hear/see. I'm sure you posted some unimportant words after that but who cares.
I've decided not to brine. My mom never brined and it was fine. I've never brined and it was fine. Maybe next time when I'm not under pressure and cooking for so many. I'm going to make the meal again when my brother can eat it all.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Askhole.
(11-27-2013, 01:52 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(11-26-2013, 02:40 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: I would say great minds think alike
Thanks. That's all I needed to hear/see. I'm sure you posted some unimportant words after that but who cares.

Ok so you finally admit I have a great mind? Thanks I knew you would realise that fact eventually you just had to try harder wracking your mouldy mushroom over it.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(11-27-2013, 03:54 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Ok so you finally admit I have a great mind?
yes. Your mind is a grate. Your intelligence falls out your ears and all we left with are the empty headed crap ramblings that spew forth from your mouth hole.
(11-27-2013, 04:53 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(11-27-2013, 03:54 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Ok so you finally admit I have a great mind?
yes.

Thanks!

I've decided to employ your technique of only acknowledging the meaningful part of your posts.
Being told you talk shit by Clang?!

A bit like a rotting corpse saying to a freshly laundered pillow “you stink!”
(11-27-2013, 05:08 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: the meaningful heart of your posts.
my posts ARE meaningful. Thanks.