Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why Cleveland is a Shithole
The city of Cleveland and the Justice Department (DOJ) have struck a deal under which Cleveland police will take steps to address a pattern of unconstitutional policing.

The agency and the city will announce the terms of a so-called "consent decree" as early as today. The arrangement creates a court-enforceable agreement detailing steps the Cleveland Division of Police will take to address the pattern and practice of unconstitutional policing in the city. If no agreement had been reached, DOJ could have sued the city to force a change in its policing.

I'm anxious to read the consent decree and the reform policies -- it's about time Cleveland PD is put on the hook legally. Each DOJ investigation of the police force over the last decade (there have been three) has rendered dismal reviews.

I don't think it's a coincidence that CPD will announce the steps it will be taking to address unwarranted police brutality and use of excess force today. Many of the city's residents are pissed that Officer Brelo was acquitted on Friday. I think if the Sheriff's office from the neighboring county announces that its investigation clears CPD Officers Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback of any wrong-doing or illegal action in the shooting death of Tamir Rice, there will be a lot of very angry Cleveland residents taking to the streets.

CPD needs to finally publicly admit that it needs to deep reform and what it plans to do about it. Maybe that will help keep Cleveland peaceful, regardless of what the Sheriff's offices announces in regards to the Rice case.
(05-26-2015, 02:13 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I think if the Sheriff's office from the neighboring county announces that its investigation clears CPD Officers Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback of any wrong-doing or illegal action in the shooting death of Tamir Rice, there will be a lot of very angry Cleveland residents taking to the streets.

Their conduct was negligent to say the least and murder to say the most. I guess they will be charged with manslaughter. Their defense is a 911 dispatcher failed to relay a caller’s message to the two officers that Rice’s gun was probably fake, and that he was probably a child. The fact they shot the boy 2 seconds upon their arrival and rendered no aid to the child after they shot him is reprehensible.
Cleveland has been a shit hole since the manufacturing jobs vanished. This is common knowledge. hah
DOJ / Cleveland PD Settlement

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department on Tuesday announced a settlement with the city of Cleveland and its police department, following a deeply critical investigation that had found a “pattern or practice” of excessive law enforcement violence that violated the Constitution.

Under the 105-page consent decree, Cleveland agreed to a series of reforms that will be overseen by a federal monitor. Cleveland will establish a city-wide Community Police Commission, revamp its Police Review Board and adopt new training and policies, among other changes.

“The provisions of this agreement will help ensure the many brave men and women of the Cleveland Division of Police can do their jobs not only constitutionally, but also more safely and effectively,” said Steven N. Dettelbach, U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio.

The agreement also calls for an assessment of the police department’s equipment needs, creates a new Mental Health Response Advisory Committee and enhance data collection.

“There is much work to be done, across the nation and in Cleveland, to rebuild trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve where it has eroded, but it can be done,” said Vanay Gupta, head of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division.

The settlement, announced at a press conference convened in Cleveland, is meant to resolve problems identified in a Justice Department report issued last December. The department’s Special Litigation Section initiated the inquiry after a series of violent incidents.

Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2015/05/26...rylink=cpy
I wonder who will pay for all these wonderful enhancements. And Cleveland is not " like the rest of the country" not by a long shot.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

The one & only thing I know about Cleveland is that it's where the Brown's franchise is based.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(05-26-2015, 09:21 PM)Maggot Wrote: I wonder who will pay for all these wonderful enhancements. And Cleveland is not " like the rest of the country" not by a long shot.

Cleveland has body cams already -- by the end of the year, they've committed that all patrol officers will be wearing them.

The Community Police Council will be made up of appointees who represent the residents and have influence, according to the news releases. They will have a budget to conduct meetings and report recommendations/findings, but I think those on the council will be volunteers.

The Compliance Monitor will be a Federal employee.

So, I think the majority of the costs to the city of Cleveland will be associated with properly retraining officers in use of force and upgrading its technologies. Mayor Jackson has indicated that the city financial planners are working on budgeting strategies now.

IMO, Cleveland will be like some other major cities who've reformed police departments that were infamous for overly heavy-handed and corrupt policing. If they get their shit together and the community members respond positively and do their part, the city will benefit financially with a reduction in police brutality settlements.
OP UPDATE -- DEATH PENALTY

Serial killing piece of shit Michael Madison was sentenced to death today.

The father of one of his three female victims leaped over a table to attack the defendant in court during his victim impact statement.

Van Terry is the father of victim Shirellda Terry. "Right now, I guess we're supposed to, in our hearts forgive this clown, who has touched our families, taken my child," Terry said.

Mr. Terry then paused and turned to look behind him at Madison, who was sitting behind the defense table, before running towards the convicted killer and lunging over the table at him. It's difficult to watch. Mr. Terry is in such visible anguish. Poor man.

Madison, who showed no remorse and smirked throughout the the trial, was unhurt. I sure hope no legal action is taken against Mr. Terry; he's endured enough.

Story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/father-attac...-in-court/

That poor man. How the hell are people supposed to deal with their child being murdered. I can't even wrap my head around that.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Good for him, I hope they do not charge him either