Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RETURN TO SENDER/ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
(09-18-2015, 12:17 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: The child was born on American soil. I think you'd have a hard time changing the child's citizenship without causing more confusion regarding citizenship and the 14th. However, that doesn't mean that the parents who failed to gain legal citizenship can't return to their native country with their American baby and seek dual citizenship for their American baby in their native country.

No, there's a huge problem returning to the native country... it likely doesn't provide the social benefits and welfare that their new American baby affords them in the states.

Babies born on US soil are Willy Wonka Golden Tickets to illegal immigrant parents. They aren't going anywhere.

(09-18-2015, 12:25 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: What do you see as being problematic, Jimbone?

Actually, there is no problem. Plenty of room for the immigrant, spouse, children, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, cousins, grandparents, the uncles uncle, the aunts aunt, cousins of the cousins, etc.

Whatevs. It's never going to get fixed because there is no political will to fix it.
Smart-ass. I can't read your mind Jimbone, so I just ask rather than assume when I'm interested.

I didn't know if you were suggesting there are too many family members legally coming in, or that the ones who are coming are causing problems here, or what. I'm ignorant in regards to the volume of family members gaining citizenship under that provision of the Act.

Anyway, I'll check it out for myself when I get a chance.
(09-18-2015, 02:19 PM)Jimbone Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 12:17 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: The child was born on American soil. I think you'd have a hard time changing the child's citizenship without causing more confusion regarding citizenship and the 14th. However, that doesn't mean that the parents who failed to gain legal citizenship can't return to their native country with their American baby and seek dual citizenship for their American baby in their native country.

No, there's a huge problem returning to the native country... it likely doesn't provide the social benefits and welfare that their new American baby affords them in the states.

Babies born on US soil are Willy Wonka Golden Tickets to illegal immigrant parents. They aren't going anywhere.

(09-18-2015, 12:25 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: What do you see as being problematic, Jimbone?

Actually, there is no problem. Plenty of room for the immigrant, spouse, children, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, cousins, grandparents, the uncles uncle, the aunts aunt, cousins of the cousins, etc.

Whatevs. It's never going to get fixed because there is no political will to fix it.
I'm not aware of any foreign laws that prohibit an American born citizen from going to the parents native land. The problem you speak of is a choice, not a law. So if the choice is to become a legal citizen within 5 years of the birth of a child and one CHOOOSES not to obtain legal citizenship, then they have made their choice.
(09-18-2015, 02:19 PM)Jimbone Wrote: No, there's a huge problem returning to the native country... it likely doesn't provide the social benefits and welfare that their new American baby affords them in the states.

I don't understand where you're coming from on this, Jimbone. So, feel free to mock the shit outta me for inquiring; I can take it. Smiley_emoticons_smile

My understanding is that undocumented immigrants do not qualify for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits. Most of these programs require proof of legal immigration status and under the 1996 welfare law.

Even legal immigrants cannot receive these benefits until they have been in the United States for more than five years.

What am I missing?
Maybe if one immigrant from each family would join the army into a "special" unit we would have more to send into the fire. Leaving real Americans to stay home and fight these wars from the easy chair in the living room. Smiley_emoticons_smile
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-18-2015, 03:43 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 02:19 PM)Jimbone Wrote: No, there's a huge problem returning to the native country... it likely doesn't provide the social benefits and welfare that their new American baby affords them in the states.

I don't understand where you're coming from on this, Jimbone. So, feel free to mock the shit outta me for inquiring; I can take it. Smiley_emoticons_smile

My understanding is that undocumented immigrants do not qualify for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits. Most of these programs require proof of legal immigration status and under the 1996 welfare law.

Even legal immigrants cannot receive these benefits until they have been in the United States for more than five years.

What am I missing?

I think he means that even if the parents are undocumented the baby is still eligible for benefits like WIC and maybe even a small temporary monthly welfare check that the parents could also use. I wouldn't exactly call that Willy Wonka golden tickets, but it's probably better than going back to where they came from. And then of course they get free health care for their child.
(09-18-2015, 04:11 PM)sally Wrote: I think he means that even if the parents are undocumented the baby is still eligible for benefits like WIC and maybe even a small temporary monthly welfare check that the parents could also use. I wouldn't exactly call that Willy Wonka golden tickets, but it's probably better than going back to where they came from. And then of course they get free health care for their child.

Ah, I see.

I know U.S. citizens born here to illegal immigrants can't help their parents become citizens until the child hits 21. And, if the parents have been in the U.S. illegally, they have to leave the country for 10 years first.

But, I can see how getting even a small amount in nutrition vouchers and Medicaid for only the child in the U.S. could be considered better than the assistance and governmental health care for both the mother and baby in the home country, for some illegal immigrants.

I read that for Asians, some pregnant women come over on tour packages and stay until they give birth or get a C-section. The goal is for the child to have American citizenship so they'll have a much greater chance of getting into a good U.S. university after they graduate from high school in their home country.
Sally's got it... the child is a citizen, and in entitled to the benefits. It doesn't matter whether the parents are legal immigrants or illegal. The citizen child makes the 'family' eligible for some benefits.

And compared to where most of them come from, WIC alone is a golden ticket.

I actually think BG's idea isn't a bad one, but requires the overhaul of the immigration process as well.

HotD, there's plenty to read on the chain migration issue and how it got out of hand. It's a little maddening actually when you dig into it. I wasn't suggesting anything about the quality of the people who were coming (whether they were rabble rousers or not), just that the system led to an explosion in immigration that wasn't very controllable. The intent was to keep traditional families together, but the system was quickly gamed and swamped with extended family members. And each of those additional family members can then start the own 'link' in the chain, which adds more stress to the already burdened system. You can see how it can grow exponentially under those conditions, which is exactly what happens. Add to that people coming in illegally who don't want to wait in line, and you get what we have now.

It should have been scrapped and re-done years ago... but again, no political will and special interests win out.
Thanks Jimbone.

I didn't find any data on how many people enter the U.S. in "permanent resident" status as a result of being petitioned/sponsored by a family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

But, I can see how the chain effect results in a large number, after reading how the process works: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files...s/A1en.pdf
I guess the Immigrants in Europe don't like the cold in Finland. hah

I'm not so worried now.

Tornio (Finland) (AFP) - Hundreds of predominantly Iraqi migrants who have travelled through Europe to reach Finland are turning back, saying they don't want to stay in the sparsely-populated country on Europe's northern frontier because it's too cold and boring.
(09-25-2015, 01:58 PM)Maggot Wrote: I guess the Immigrants in Europe don't like the cold in Finland. hah

I'm not so worried now.

Tornio (Finland) (AFP) - Hundreds of predominantly Iraqi migrants who have travelled through Europe to reach Finland are turning back, saying they don't want to stay in the sparsely-populated country on Europe's northern frontier because it's too cold and boring.
hah So Norway and Iceland are out as well I suppose?
Oh ffs.They've never heard of effing jackets?
(09-25-2015, 04:19 PM)IroningBroad Wrote: Oh ffs.They've never heard of effing jackets?
Do they make goose down burkas?hah
It happens every winter, they move to Fla. and never come back. Iceland's not bad, its Greenland that sucks. Free heat!! Its all geo-thermal and heat pumps.

I'm feeling really bothered by some of the deportations taking place. I think anytime an undocumented person puts their life on the line and goes off to war for the USA they should be granted citizenship. I don't like that a Dreamer was picked up after publicly expressing how scared she was of being sent back to a country she has no memory of and it sucks that a grandmother who has been here for a lifetime and held her family together while a parent was off at war is now being deported. I have a lot of stories like this and they are something I think about everyday.

:(
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(03-06-2017, 06:38 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm feeling really bothered by some of the deportations taking place. I think anytime an undocumented person puts their life on the line and goes off to war for the USA they should be granted citizenship. I don't like that a Dreamer was picked up after publicly expressing how scared she was of being sent back to a country she has no memory of and it sucks that a grandmother who has been here for a lifetime and held her family together while a parent was off at war is now being deported. I have a lot of stories like this and they are something I think about everyday.

:(

Deportations need to be considered/conducted on a case by case basis, not using the broad stroke method.

So as to avoid the unfairness mentioned. Policy modification is required. (Lets all Tweet the Tweetster)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Doesn't bother me much that any number of illegals get deported, family and all. If they have been here for "Decades" or "A Lifetime" maybe they should have taken the steps to get legal. Some did that but then committed crimes, like the guy getting deported even though he was in the Army, Special Forces and all that, maybe he should have thought about that before becoming a drug dealer.
Or the woman in cali got arrested while checking in with INS, you know the one with the felony ID theft charges? Or the silly bitch that decides to hold a press conference to Demand her rights to come here illegally.
Or the guy that has owned a restaurant for 10 years, rotary member, community volunteer and all around good guy - for an illegal.
I see it this way: you come here illegally that makes you a criminal, nothing is going to change that until you get the criminal part taken care of, it doesn't expire.
I understand they want to come here, I get that better life thing, land of opportunity etc...Cool, got it.
Understand though, a LOT of the reason those things exist is because we are a nation of Laws, follow the law and your good, don't follow them then don't bitch when it catches up with you one day
Very well said Six.
This policy will give the new ones something to think about before coming in that's for sure. It needed to be done though. Most have had plenty of chances to make it right.
I agree with most of what you wrote, Six, except coming into the U.S. and staying here without documentation is not a criminal offense, it's a civil one.

You're right that plenty of undocumented immigrants have been long here enough to seek legal status or citizenship. However, the majority contribute to society.

We already have declining immigration across our borders. Comprehensive immigration reform, a path to authorized residency and citizenship for non-felons, and tighter border control are much better ways to address the problem of immigrants coming through Mexico than mass deportations, in my opinion.