Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
(09-28-2017, 04:52 AM)Duchess Wrote: I'm very sorry to you, HotD. When I posted that comment up there ^^^^^^, I was only repeating what the Prez said. I was being a wiseass :(

I thought maybe someone would call me out on my stupid sounding bullshit.[/i][/size]

Don't be sorry! I knew what you were doing and it made me smile.

But, as simple-minded as his wording was...........Trump was right about it being more difficult for islands to receive outside help after a natural disaster than it is for locales that have multiple routes and nearby sources from which to receive aid and supplies.

I read that Trump issued a temporary waiver on the Jones Act today (it places restrictions on shipments into PR). That's good. I know that doesn't help get supplies to individual and hospitals until roads are cleared and drivers are secured. But, it can't hurt to have as large a supply of essential non-perishable supplies on deck as possible; ready to be immediately delivered once those logistics get worked out. The people of Puerto Rico are gonna need them sooner than later.
(09-28-2017, 07:19 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Don't be sorry! I knew what you were doing and it made me smile.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Here comes friggin Nate!

Nate is expected to strengthen into a Category 1 hurricane by the time it strikes the U.S. Gulf Coast on Sunday, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) said.

Global Warming is a killer!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Went out to water this morning and it smells like there’s a fire in my own backyard.

There’s a terrible wildfire going down in Santa Rosa, about 55 miles north of here. 11 people have literally died in a fire so far and hundreds of others are displaced. There’s another bad one burning down south in Anaheim Hills too.

Between the hurricanes, earthquakes and wildfires, one on top of another, it’s feeling like Mother Nature is supremely pissed off. Depressing.
(10-10-2017, 11:32 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Went out to water this morning and it smells like there’s a fire in my own backyard.

There’s a terrible wildfire going down in Santa Rosa, about 55 miles north of here. 11 people have literally died in a fire so far and hundreds of others are displaced. There’s another bad one burning down south in Anaheim Hills too.

Between the hurricanes, earthquakes and wildfires, one on top of another, it’s feeling like Mother Nature is supremely pissed off. Depressing.

So it seems. You stay safe darlin
Thank you Six.

I’m not in the line of fire, fortunately.

Hopefully the fact that the winds and temperatures are down today in California will help firefighters tackle the flames.
What a way to go, trapped in a wildfire with no escape as it closes in on you.

Hard to fathom how a fire can move so fast as to trap someone without an escape plan.

RIP
(10-10-2017, 12:42 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: What a way to go, trapped in a wildfire with no escape as it closes in on you.

Hard to fathom how a fire can move so fast as to trap someone without an escape plan.

RIP

Being burned to death or dying of smoke inhalation is a terrible way to go.

The fire in Santa Rosa picked up speed so quickly that it took residents and officials by surprise. I just heard on the news that many thousands of people were forced to evacuate on-the-spot last night.

The ones that got out we’re lucky, but some of them lost everything they own. :(

The stories surrounding these fires are just awful. They make me cry :(
It's very sad.

At least 15 people are now reported dead in the Santa Rosa fires in California's wine country.

Over 180 are missing (hopefully they're alive but out of communication), thousands of residents are in shelters, and over 2,000 structures have been reduced to ashes.

[Image: 920x920.jpg]
Chimneys are all that remain of the houses in this neighborhood.

It's shaping up to be the most destructive wildfire in California history.
That's some sad shit

It sure is. People have lost everything they have spent their whole life working for.

On another sad note, I can't turn my water on without thinking of those poor people in Puerto Rico.
(10-11-2017, 03:58 PM)Duchess Wrote:

It sure is. People have lost everything they have spent their whole life working for.

On another sad note, I can't turn my water on without thinking of those poor people in Puerto Rico.
I have it on very good authority that things are getting better down there. It's going to be a long time before they get back to where they were before the storm, but little by little things are moving along
(10-10-2017, 12:42 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: What a way to go, trapped in a wildfire with no escape as it closes in on you.

RIP

I was so stern with my family when they had fire on the west side of the state and assumed their safety or people assume they can outrun a fire, I will never think that again about a fire. I didn't realize it had gotten so bad in Cali until I saw someone posting about it.
I had a friend die in a fire when the power was out and they fell asleep with a candle burning. : (

I keep thinking we will get some mile weather and all of this stuff will finally calm down.
The fire is still uncontained. Yesterday the winds picked up and shifted again.

23 people are now confirmed dead; 170,000 acres burned; 20,000 residents evacuated; over 285 residents unaccounted for; 8,000 firefighters on the scene...

It's so incredibly sad. And, the winds are picking up and shifting again today.

It seems like people are dying & suffering everywhere I turn these days :(
Nice to see all the worry about me and mine being expressed. Fuckers. Out of sight and all that...

It's turning in to one of those situations where most everybody knows somebody or more who have lost their homes or they're evacuated. My husband told me my MIL got a first evacuation notice last night and, of course, she'd be coming straight here. I don't know why. There's a perfectly respectable evacuation center at the local city hall...

Every business is getting affected here too. My dog's vet appt. got canceled because the Dr's home was threatened (selfish bastard). You really see what people are made of in times like this (dust and a few bones).

There are parts of China that live in this level of smog routinely. Large parts of Southern California used to look almost this bad regularly too. It's friggin nasty. I went out to get the paper this morning and came back in with the paper and a god damn pounding headache. You'd think smoking would give me immunity but not so...

Hi bitches.
Commando Cunt Queen
I may have a deal on the table to go to Puerto Rico for a month, $1k/day, sounds like a good deal. Got to find out what they are going to do about housing, I can put up with just about anything for a month for that kind of $. Security is a problem, hard to get a CCW permit.
Find out a little more tomorrow
(10-11-2017, 11:16 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Chimneys are all that remain of the houses in this neighborhood.

It's shaping up to be the most destructive wildfire in California history.

And therein lies the difference. The fire pictured above and (maybe others) devastated city areas. Suburbs. When the collective "we" think of wildfires, they're out in the hills, possibly dotted by small cities but this fire has taken homes...it's like my house burning down. Absurd (except from the inside)! I'm surrounded by other homes and streets; I feel very immune but that's a fallacy. I don't know how the Santa Rosa fire started but the truth is, I have a barren hill (except for the mountain lions) less than a 14 of a mile away.

In the area of Santa Rosa....IIRC, on the west side of our major thoroughfare (Hwy 101) there are some fields, pastures etc. Again, I don't know where any of the fires started specifically but I know one jumped Hwy 101; the east side of that same freeway is homes and neighborhoods. So many people affected in this one who probably thought "never'.
Commando Cunt Queen
(10-12-2017, 04:32 PM)username Wrote: Nice to see all the worry about me and mine being expressed. Fuckers. Out of sight and all that...

Ahahaha! User! Just this morning I asked where the hell are you and *poof* here you are. It's magic!