Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I sent a State Rep through the roof today
Go ahead ask me how I made his day...........Blowing-kisses That's right maggot was spreading the love love butter today.Smiley_emoticons_hurra3
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I'll bite; I wanna know what the heck you did to rev up the Rep.

Spill it Mags!
Back story:
My state is currently trying to legalize weed. It will pass at some point but they want to sell licenses for distribution points. This would mean that individuals would be selling it. Creating a lot of paperwork and legal paperwork. Here we have "liquor" stores the only place you can buy hard booze. Beer and wine can be sold in any store.

I suggested and quite a few people agree with me that because the regulations, security, infra structure is already in place why not sell it there. The issue they are currently dealing with now is the distribution of the weed.
He just said "no freaking way" could not give me a reason why and so I pushed the issue 20 min later he still could not give me a reason. he ended up walking out of the office telling me to go fuck myself.

Now I have to push the issue because I thought of this months ago and was just hoping someone else would think of it. I have not heard anyone talk about it. My buddy at the newspaper is looking into it and if public opinion goes my way it would make this guy wanna kill me. It would save the state a ton of money.
He must be tied into a group that wants to do it differently.

'Tied into' as in he stands to make money off it.
(04-05-2018, 09:38 AM)Maggot Wrote: I suggested and quite a few people agree with me that because the regulations, security, infra structure is already in place why not sell it there.

I think it's an excellent idea. It makes sense.

You can't buy booze in just any store here. We have "package" stores strictly for selling alcohol and up until a few years ago one couldn't buy alcohol on Sunday. Back home one can buy beer & wine in any stores, including convenience stores.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I first suggested the legalize weed and sell it from liquor stores when I was just a teen living in Oklahoma back in the early 80's. It made perfect sense to me then and still does.
Beer drinking, gun toting, Bike riding,
womanizing, sex fiend, sexist, asshole !
Don't like it? Well than F.U !!!!!!!!!
It's a really good idea - the infrastructure is already in place and it would keep the cost low.

Which of course means the state rep is probably on the take, and stands to profit from it being done differently. Or he is just a wonk who wants to build a new bureaucracy for the fine citizens of his state.
(04-05-2018, 10:16 AM)Jimbone Wrote: He must be tied into a group that wants to do it differently.

'Tied into' as in he stands to make money off it.

Well I thought about it and he will not make any money off anything but they did studies and have a list of about 200 people wanting to be licensed to sell it. My thinking is nobody in the legislature wants to just throw away the studies or the machinery in motion. But it would be better. I feel that nobody wants to back off the train tracks once it has left the station but not that much money has been spent yet and at the end of it all it would be plenty cheaper selling through an already established vendor.
I've heard the idea before and it makes sense to me for limited sells, if liquor store owners want to do it and have the knowledge + capacity.

Some dispensaries carry a huge variety of marijuana products and have medical professionals and expert growers in the facilities to help buyers find what's best and safest for their recreational and medicinal needs. I don't think liquor store owners could or should be operating such businesses.

Plus, the states that have already legalized recreational and/or medical marijuana are making a lot more revenue from those emerging/growing business than they're spending, and it creates jobs + reduces opioid use.
I read about this late last year. I'm not sure of the current status.

The Nova Scotian government is making moves to stock marijuana on liquor store shelves. According to CBC News, the province's government-owned alcohol distributor, Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation (NSLC), would be responsible for selling recreational marijuana in stores and online to patrons around the region once Canada legalizes weed - a move slated for the summer of 2018. Once NSLC outlets officially offer cannabis, existing dispensaries will be illegal.

The Canadian government has left it to the provinces to determine the specifics of legalization within their borders. In Nova Scotia, the legal age to purchase marijuana will be 19, which is also the legal drinking age. People will be allowed to have up to 30 grams for personal consumption. They will also be permitted to grow up to four plants per household.

"The NSLC has the experience and expertise to distribute and sell restricted products like alcohol and now cannabis in a socially responsible way," Mark Furey, the province's minister of justice, said at a news conference, according to CBC News. "We believe the NSLC is best positioned to sell cannabis, keeping it out of the hands of young people and making it legally available in a safe, regulated way."

While Nova Scotia has chosen to tie marijuana and liquor distribution together, Stu Zakim, the communications director for the Marjiuana Business Association, says that the liquor industry is among the largest obstacles to legalization in the United States.

"In the U.S., the largest organized group standing in the way of legal cannabis is not the much-rumored tobacco or other companies looking to get in on the ground floor of what is clearly the largest new industry since the web; it's the liquor distribution industry who fears their loss of income and control of 'sin' products," Zakim told The Daily Meal. "As each legal state has shown, the amount of revenue that cannabis drives makes the liquor distributors hostile and fearful of losing that control. Canada may be ahead of us, and if it works there, sharing selling spirits and cannabis may be the way of the future."

Full piece: http://www.latimes.com/food/sns-dailymea...story.html
Maggot, is it like PA where the liquor stores are run by the state liquor control board? Or are they privately owned liquor stores.

Because if they are state run stores, they should sell the weed there. But if they're private liquor stores, then forget everything I said.
State run stores.
There are 18 ABC or "Alcoholic Beverage Control" states in total and they fall into two general groups.

The first group of beverage control states is easy to recognize. This group prohibits the sale of liquor in private stores, limiting it to government-owned outlets only:

Alabama
Idaho
New Hampshire (sold tax-free, attracting many out-of-state customers)
North Carolina (stores are run by individual counties and cities)
Pennsylvania
Utah
Virginia
Washington

The second group of beverage control states might be harder to spot at the retail level. This group permits the sale of liquor in privately owned stores, getting involved instead on the wholesale/distributor end of things, effectively setting minimum prices and determining product selection statewide:

Iowa
Maine
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Ohio
Oregon
Vermont
Wyoming
West Virginia

In addition to the states in these two major groups, there are a few states in which liquor stores are only government-run in a few areas, or are run by individual municipalities:

Maryland (government-run stores in 4 counties only)
Minnesota (some municipalities run their own liquor stores)
South Dakota (some municipalities run their own liquor stores)

https://www.thekitchn.com/buying-liquor-...ate-141292

-------------------------------
Is your proposal that the state of New Hampshire also forgo the tax revenue from marijuana sales if the state limits those transactions to liquor stores Mags?
(04-05-2018, 01:03 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: -------------------------------
Is your proposal that the state of New Hampshire also forgo the tax revenue from marijuana sales if the state limits those transactions to liquor stores Mags?

The state still taxes things like gas, tobacco, booze before sales they just don't tax a "sale" so it would be taxed. I believe all states do but a sales tax is different.
(04-05-2018, 02:19 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 01:03 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: -------------------------------

The state still taxes things like gas, tobacco, booze before sales they just don't tax a "sale" so it would be taxed. I believe all states do but a sales tax is different.

Yeah, there are state taxes and retail excise taxes. I know Colorado recently got rid of the sales tax on marijuana sales, which amounted to millions of dollars per month. But, the state increased the retailer's tax by a higher percentage than the previous consumer sales tax percent percentage.

I would always rather have private businesses operating under state regulation than state-owned industries and price setting when it comes to goods. But, I understand your point about the state-run liquor business having an infrastructure that could be highly leveraged when marijuana is legalized in NH.

After reading up on it a little...........I'm surprised the State Representative you spoke with reacted so strongly, unless he's a Republican and sides with Governor Sununu in opposing legalization altogether.

Washington already has the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board. In Oregon, the enforcement of liquor and marijuana law is up to the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. And the New Hampshire commission studying legalization heard earlier this year from Erika McConnell, director of the Alaska Alcohol & Marijuana Control Office.

I read that NH State Rep. Dan Eaton, a Democrat from Stoddard, voted in favor of a bill earlier this year to legalize up to an ounce of marijuana for adults. He says it makes sense that the New Hampshire Liquor Commission would be involved in the hypothetical legalization of recreational pot. http://nhpr.org/post/liquor-commission-s...l#stream/0
No he is a Democrat. I just didn't get any reason why not from him. Like I said I think the legislature was doing other things as far as licensing goes and they had put lots of work into it and did not want to change things as it got closer to a vote. Which I think is a shame, it would cost much less going through established branches.[/b]
The liquor industry really wants to control and limit the emerging legal marijuana business -- for control, profit and growth reasons. I get that. Some state governments and citizens support that and others oppose it. That's not only true in the U.S.

As posted upthread, the small province of Nova Scotia, Canada is moving towards selling pot in liquor stores.

However, the larger province of British Columbia will sell marijuana in a mixture of privately owned and publicly owned outlets, none of which will be liquor stores.

Under the BC model, it would be possible for a stand-alone cannabis retail outlet to be established next door to a liquor store, but not within its doors.

BC rejected the selling of cannabis in liquor stores, known as “co-location,” despite a campaign by an unlikely alliance of private liquor retailers and unionized public liquor store workers to allow for the sale of the products side by side.

That alliance has argued that liquor stores already have the infrastructure in place to safely handle cannabis, and that staff are well trained to prevent the sale to minors or intoxicated people.

However, public health experts including former Chief Provincial Health Officer Dr. Perry Kendall have argued against co-location.

Those experts argued that while 80 per cent of British Columbians consume alcohol, just 17 per cent say they use cannabis.

On one hand, they argued, making cannabis available in any of B.C.’s nearly 900 public and private liquor outlets could increase marijuana use, while on the other hand, it could expose people seeking marijuana who have addiction issues to alcohol. I get that; I think marijuana is much less dangerous to people's health than liquor and pills and has a lot of potential (and proven success) in helping liquor and opioid addicts to kick or curb reliance on those substances.

It's interesting watching the legalization of marijuana take hold. Now, if only the U.S. Federal government and Attorney General Jeff Sessions would pull their heads outta their asses by reclassifying marijuana accurately and quit harassing state legalized retailers and distributors.

Ref: https://globalnews.ca/news/4005829/b-c-t...own-grass/
I think the entire process will open a Pandora's box of problems. Some of the stuff they sell in those stores is so powerful it sends people over the top. I've always said that weed is not as bad as alcohol but when THC is sold in such concentrated concoctions it becomes almost as bad. The stuff they sell is powerful stuff not your grandfathers weed that's for sure.
Yeah, potent strains is one of the reasons I personally don't like the idea of the legal marijuana industry being controlled by the liquor industry, with marijuana distribution through liquor stores (except perhaps low-dose THC products in small quantities).

I think it's better for business growth and consumer safety if marijuana experts and medical professionals are heavily involved in setting regulations and interfacing with consumers.

But, the liquor industry ownership, regulation, and distribution is different across U.S. states and the legal marijuana industry will be too.
(04-06-2018, 11:36 AM)Maggot Wrote: I think the entire process will open a Pandora's box of problems. Some of the stuff they sell in those stores is so powerful it sends people over the top. I've always said that weed is not as bad as alcohol but when THC is sold in such concentrated concoctions it becomes almost as bad. The stuff they sell is powerful stuff not your grandfathers weed that's for sure.
I know someone who works at a dispensary here (shocker I know), and some of the stuff they sell doesn't get you high at all. It's purely medicinal. So, its not what a lot of people think it is. I don't understand most of the laws that govern it here, but they are pulling money down hand over fist. For example, one of the stipulations here is that the product needs to be grown and processed on the dispensary property. WTF is the point of that? Seriously, I don't see why that would be important. This dispensary can't keep their shelves stocked. Demand outweighs supply but the shop is pulling down 12 a mil per week, so I foresee a franchise chain opportunity somewhere in the near future. The "master growers" here pretty much name their price for the dispensaries they service, and people like my friend learn from them and will someday be a "mg" himself thereby naming his own price. It's basically an apprenticeship.