Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Music NEWS. Or...anotherfuckingmusicthread
Here's a great example of Buckingham and Nicks blowing the doors off McVie. When Christie quits singing it sounds great. hah
BG, I enjoyed your break down of Fleetwood Mac.

If I list a band, will you do your best to critique their individual members (who is sneaky good, who’s overrated, etc)?

Thanks.

Let’s start with Motley Crue...
(04-13-2018, 04:34 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: BG, I enjoyed your break down of Fleetwood Mac.

If I list a band, will you do your best to critique their individual members (who is sneaky good, who’s overrated, etc)?

Thanks.

Let’s start with Motley Crue...
Okay...
Mick Mars, average guitarist but solid.
Tommy Lee, Great drummer. Dude is a living breathing metronome.
Vince Neil, Good at what he does when he's clean. Not great.
Nikki Sixx, Great bass player and song writer.
Kind of what I suspected with Crue.

How about Poison?
(04-17-2018, 02:07 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Nikki Sixx, Great bass player and song writer.

He has a lovely wife, very down to earth. She's a DIY girl and blogs a lot about it. She could probably buy whatever it was she wanted but she gets off on creating and she's budget minded.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(04-17-2018, 02:35 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Kind of what I suspected with Crue.

How about Poison?
Brett, average singer, but very good in his range.
CC, Highly underrated guitarist.
Rikki, Very good drummer.
Bobby, average at best.

The best songwriter Poison ever had is no longer with the band. Richie Kotzen who was with the band from 91-03.
(04-17-2018, 03:23 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 02:07 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Nikki Sixx, Great bass player and song writer.

He has a lovely wife, very down to earth. She's a DIY girl and blogs a lot about it. She could probably buy whatever it was she wanted but she gets off on creating and she's budget minded.
I didn't realize he'd gotten married. Nikki is lucky to be alive, and probably the most successful comeback ever from a severe heroin addiction.
(04-17-2018, 03:43 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I didn't realize he'd gotten married.

Yeah, about 4 years ago. Like I said, I knew her from her blog, I didn't know him at all.

[Image: p18ti8k6t4dam1he61tmnpug3t64.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(04-17-2018, 03:25 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

How about Poison?
Bobby, average at best.

The best songwriter Poison ever had is no longer with the band. Richie Kotzen who was with the band from 91-03.

I always liked CC’s guitar work, but it didn’t seem like he was talked about much.

How about breaking down Def Leppard?
(04-17-2018, 04:48 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 03:25 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

How about Poison?
Bobby, average at best.

I always liked CC’s guitar work, but it didn’t seem like he was talked about much.

How about breaking down Def Leppard?
Heh...
Joe Elliot, probably the worst vocalist out of all of the 80's bands, hands down. That man couldn't carry a tune if it had a handle on it. I can't even begin to imagine how much patience Mutt Lange showed with Joe in the studio. Those had to have been the longest days of Mutt's life.
Phil Collen, excellent rhythm guitarist behind Steve Clark. As a lead guitar, average.
Steve Clark, underrated until the day he died. Then he finally got the recognition he deserved. Tragic...
Rick Allen, great drummer. The dude lost an arm as a drummer and didn't let it stop him. Pretty much says it all.
Rick Savage, nothing special technically, but you can't put a price on his stage presence. He's a performer.
D.L.- great guitars, great drums, overall great sound. Those guys carried Elliott, I agree with you.

Was Joe the songwriter?
(04-17-2018, 05:27 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: D.L.- great guitars, great drums, overall great sound. Those guys carried Elliott, I agree with you.

Was Joe the songwriter?
No, Steve was. Also, fun fact: Pete Willis is the rhythm you hear on Pyromania. He was fired (for being a drunk) shortly after completing his tracks. Phil Collen played a few leads on the album.
(04-17-2018, 05:31 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 05:27 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: D.L.- great guitars, great drums, overall great sound. Those guys carried Elliott, I agree with you.

Was Joe the songwriter?
No, Steve was. Also, fun fact: Pete Willis is the rhythm you hear on Pyromania. He was fired (for being a drunk) shortly after completing his tracks. Phil Collen played a few leads on the album.

Just watched a couple of tracks from DL’s ‘in the round’ concerts from 1988.

They sounded pretty good live.

Any thoughts, criticisms of these other 80’s bands:

Great White, White Lion, Dokken, Ratt, Warrant, Winger?

What are your general impressions of Stevie Stevens? I’ve always liked his work.
What about The Cult? I don't know what his name is, but I think he had one of the better voices of all those goofy hair bands.
Dokken and Great White were kinda local garage bands in my hood.
Dokken wasn't much of a band but I heard Great White could really burn a place down.

What?

Too soon?
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Audies house burned to the ground during the 2003 wildfire that lit my next door neighbors front yard on fire. My nephew is a roadie for the band.
I don't know if this is news, but Gene Simmons is a real doucher. Holy Moses.

(04-17-2018, 05:19 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: Rick Allen, great drummer. The dude lost an arm as a drummer and didn't let it stop him. Pretty much says it all.

I saw DL open up for Billy Squier---when the drummer had 2 arms
(04-17-2018, 11:46 PM)sally Wrote: I don't know if this is news, but Gene Simmons is a real doucher. Holy Moses.

I saw Kiss when they unmakeupped. My high school BFF got arrested for trespassing, because we *cut* the line we had been standing in for over 6 hours at the concert (we did have kinda smart mouths and got everyone in line jacked up saying *Let them in, Let them in* and she carted off to jail and I went on in the concert. Somehow she talked a bail bondsman into standing up for her, then driving her back off at the coliseum, talked her way inside without the ticket that was in my back pocket --- oh the days of being 16 and fearless hah. Security was being dicks, hurt my friend when they hand cuffed her and about 6 of us high schoolers went and testified in front of Charlotte City Counsel, got all her charges dropped and got security guard suspended for 2 weeks. BTW no boobs or other were shown during any of this entire process although we all had unexcused absences from school which didn't make a dam back in 1984